Western University Fall 2014 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was notified of acceptance as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Got accepted as well. Congratulations Dwight Howard and SD0918.

Members don't see this ad :)
still haven't received anything :( ...do they send out e-mails in batches?

Reactions: 1 user
For those who received acceptance letters, has your application status been changed as well? ( the account you submitted the secondary material).

I called them. The admission office said that everyone will receive a email either today or tomorrow notifying the status, either acceptance or hold. All letters are sent out automatically by the system.

Reactions: 1 users
I called them. The admission office said that everyone will receive a email either today or tomorrow notifying the status, either acceptance or hold. All letters are sent out automatically by the system.
Thank you for update. I'm checking my email every couple of minutes, yeah that's pretty odd...

Members don't see this ad :)
just received e-mail, was put on "hold". :( i guess it's over for me good luck guys

Congrats guys who got accepted, I am so nervous coz I haven't heard anything from them :( -- do u guys think they're still sending out invitation for Dec 14?

Are there any current WesternU Pharm students here who were put on hold? If so, can you please describe the process and how many people usually are pulled from their. I assume since you know a lot of your classmates that you'd have a rough estimate.

at the interview they said last yr they accepted about 50 or 60 ppl from the hold list if i remember correctly.. so dont lose hope! cuz thats a lot of people

Hello everyone,
I interviewed on Nov. 9th and received an email from the admissions office regarding my acceptance status this morning (Dec. 6th). If you interviewed on Nov. 9th, CHECK YOUR INBOXES!!! You might have received word about your status from the school as well.
Best of luck to all of you :)

For those who got accepted, do you mind sharing your stats? Thank you!!!

Is it possible to be updated in a few weeks about your hold status? What would probably be the soonest? Also, is it better if you're on hold and you had the first interview?

what did you guys say that made you get in?

what was the essay question that you guys were asked to write about?

Is it possible to be updated in a few weeks about your hold status? What would probably be the soonest? Also, is it better if you're on hold and you had the first interview?
on the email they said we will be updated monthly. I heard from a friend that they rank applicants as: accept, alternate, hold, reject, but I'm not sure it
's accurate

I wonder how many people they accepted vs put on hold for the nov 9th interviews

Accepted from November interview on 12/6
Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.3
Clinical psychiatry/psychology intern for 1 year
2 Research Labs for 2 years. 1 pending publication, received multiple grants
Pharmacy Tech for 1 year

There was around ~75 people that interviewed that day, so it's hard to say how many people were accepted/hold

I will say this though, USC and Western's interview were both on the same date in November. I expect that there will be more than 75 people for the December interview (people who received interviews to both USC and Western in November + people granted December interviews).

As for the oral interview don't be nervous. It will be closed file. My recommendation is to not focus on any academic achievements during your interview unless you are specifically asked about it. Those things have already been taken into consideration when they viewed your application and decided to grant you an interview. Instead, I would recommend that you utilize your strengths and show them how great your personality is! That's why they try to create a comfortable atmosphere so you can be yourself. That's the most important thing. Be yourself. They want to see if your personality is a match with the students/faculty/and curriculum. Specifically, how well you work with others.

For the written interview, their goal is to see how well you can put your thoughts on paper. If you are a weak writer and have not written a timed essay recently, I would recommend that you briefly practice.

Someone also mentioned a critical thinking portion. Bunch of scenario questions. Was not difficult at all.

Out of respect to my fellow interviewees placed on hold, I will not disclose any specific interview/essay questions. Good luck to those placed on hold!

Also, good luck to those that have their interview in December!
If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

There seemed way more than 75 people to me. I also was in the Nov 9th interview. There was like 4 different rooms with a lot of students in each.

Lets be honest here, none of us who are on hold want any of you future interviewers to have a great interview lol

dont worry future interviewers, since this guy wont help you out, I will!

my essay was about what is the most cost effective way to give patients medications that cant afford it? also my questions were basically situation, it was really scary and hard and I was nervous. most of the interviewers are really mean and rough, but I guess they have to weed out the people who cant handle it. good luck!

Sorry if it seems that way.

People, hopefully you understand that the admissions is aware of this website/forum. Chances are they may not recycle essay questions. The best way to prepare for these essays is to practice writing and timing yourself on the prompt that were previously posted here since 2004: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/wuhs-pharm <-- click on the "View survey results"

I received an email last Friday saying that I was put "on hold", but this morning I got an acceptance letter from a different counselor.

No idea which one is real....

and i have a 3.2 from csu chico and got accepted
This person is a liar.

She posted that she was accepted in the USC thread, and she posted here that she was accepted. The interviews were on the same date, there's no way you could be accepted to both. You were either accepted to 1 or the other or to none at all.

Probably non at all. Disregard what she says, people

I received an email last Friday saying that I was put "on hold", but this morning I got an acceptance letter from a different counselor.

No idea which one is real....
I wish it append to me, they put me on hold too :(

do you mind copying and pasting your acceptance letter?

I post part of the letter in later post. Can't post all because it has personal information, and I guess it is not right to do that.

I guess the acceptance letter is real. It might be that someone refused the offer so they let me in? If so, the people who interviewed on nov 9 (on hold) just need to be patient.

Last edited:
They're probably lying too. Why would he or she just randomly get accepted?

There are not so many liars in this world. ;)

I just feel wierd, want to see if anyone has similar situation with me. I believe the acceptance letter overwrites the on hold letter. The on hold letter is very general, no my name/information on it. But the acceptance letter is very specific, with my name address and even the signature of the director.

Those on hold, don't lose hope, the status could be changed any time.

There seemed way more than 75 people to me. I also was in the Nov 9th interview. There was like 4 different rooms with a lot of students in each.
Agree. I was in Group C. I roughly count the students in the meeting room, I think it was around 120. But I couldn't tell if it was all the students be interviewed that day ( some might got interview earlier and left earlier?)

I guess I can post the first paragraph and last paragraph here....to give on hold fellow students more hope.

It is my pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted as a student in the Doctor of Pharmacy program at WesternU. The faculty is looking forward to working with you in an undertaking that will enhance the quality of health care delivery in the Southern California area.
Your admission to WesternU is contingent upon: 1) our receipt of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended; 2) your completion of all academic requirements, including prerequisite course at a satisfactory level; 3) our receipt of a final transcript(s)showing completion of requirements; 4) our receipt of physical exam forms includingverification of titers; 5) international students – proof of legal US residency (if currently residing in the U.S). You will be notified at a later date of any pending requirements.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

There are not so many liars in this world. ;)

I just feel wierd, want to see if anyone has similar situation with me. I believe the acceptance letter overwrites the on hold letter. The on hold letter is very general, no my name/information on it. But the acceptance letter is very specific, with my name address and even the signature of the director.

Those on hold, don't lose hope, the status could be changed any time.

My on hold letter is general too. So, hopefully........ :))

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone who got interviewed today (Dec 14th)? How did you guys do?

I think I did bad in the interview. :( I was so nervous that even though I had the answer in my mind, I couldn't deliver it smoothly. Along with nerve, English is my second language so at some points during the interview, I felt like my interviewers didn't even understand what I said. :(

I know no one knows for sure, but to all applying and current students, in your opinion, do you think I may have a chance of getting in even though I did poorly in the interview? I have good stat (~3.8 GPA, research experience, pharmacy volunteer experience, club involvement, ...)

Also, on the essay portion, do we have to follow the basic essay format of Intro-Body-Conclusion? My prompt asked me to answer 5 questions and I wrote one paragraph to answer each question. Do you think that was a good idea?

I hope they see potentials in me and admit me. WesternU is my top choice :|

Hi everyone,

I think I did bad in the interview. :( I was so nervous that even though I had the answer in my mind, I couldn't deliver it smoothly. Along with nerve, English is my second language so at some points during the interview, I felt like my interviewers didn't even understand what I said. :(

I know no one knows for sure, but to all applying and current students, in your opinion, do you think I may have a chance of getting in even though I did poorly in the interview? I have good stat (~3.8 GPA, research experience, pharmacy volunteer experience, club involvement, ...)

Also, on the essay portion, do we have to follow the basic essay format of Intro-Body-Conclusion? My prompt asked me to answer 5 questions and I wrote one paragraph to answer each question. Do you think that was a good idea?

Hey, Do not worry. I also interviewed today, I am afraid I did bad on the critical thinking rather than the interview part. I did the exact same way you wrote the essay but I am afraid I did not understand what the word Wither meant and wrote the wrong paragrpah about it. I am afraid as Western u is also MY top choice. I hope we both get in, I mean you have an amazing GPA, i am sure you did fine1!!
GL hope to be your classmate.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Don't listen to the person above me. She is just being rude for no reason. I think you maybe still have a chance! I went to the information session for Western and they said the interview was only 30% of their decision. I'm honestly not certain you will get in or not but neither are most of the people who post on this site. All you can do is wait and hope for the best.

dont listen to the person above me. she is being rude for no reason. I think you maybe still have no chance. when i went to the info session at western as well, they told me a bad interview means an unqualified applicant. you must be able to communicate with other doctors nurses patients and pharmacists, and if you cannt do it at your itnerview how will you be able to do it when handling someons life?

STFU, we all know that you're full of ****. There's no way you were accepted to both Western and USC. It's impossible.

Keep dreaming, you were probably not even invited to either of them.

Hi everyone,

Don't worry abou it. I was told that GPA weights 50%, interview, letter of recommendation, essay, volunteer...counts 50%. So you have high chance to get in.
English is also my second language, I thought I did terribly on critical reasoning, which put me in bad mood then immediately I was interviewed. Although I calmed down and did not bad on essay part, but overall, it was a bad day for me, but eventually I got accepted.
Don't worry, you have a chance for sure. Just be patient and wait, hope we can be classmates.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it. The only thing I can do now is to wait and hopefully good news will come. And to all of you too :)

I don't know how heavily weighted the critical thinking is. I asked my interviewers and they said it would weigh equally like everything else when they evaluate the candidates. However, a current student I talked to said it is quite critical for whether or not one will be offer admittance. Anyone knows?

Is there an absolute right answer for the questions on the critical thinking test? And to me most of the questions seemed more like ethical questions than critical thinking.