Western University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cathytn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview for Western U this friday, does anyone have a pointers what to expect on the interview/interview questions?

Members don't see this ad.

google western university throughout student doctor forum. A grip of stuff will pop out. I know their interviews a bit different than others. Good luck

Last edited:
I was part of the first round interviews.

1) There's an essay before the actual interview. They have you look at a picture and ask you to write about it and how it relates to physical therapy.

2) After, they bring you upstairs into a room where they have grouped you all by colors. Professors will call you individually where you then will be interviewed by 2 faculty members.

The professors were really nice but some of the questions they asked require you to be able to think on your feet a little bit. My best advice would be to answer honestly, but polish it up since you're speaking to professors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yes, there was an essay which i thought was not challenging. But i didn't expect most of the interview questions because they were mostly questions that would be asked at a job interview. I prepared for my interview by answering the physical therapy school interview questions posted by some schools, but only a couple of them were asked at WesternU. And there were probably less than 10 questions. Goodluck!

yes, there was an essay which i thought was not challenging. But i didn't expect most of the interview questions because they were mostly questions that would be asked at a job interview. I prepared for my interview by answering the physical therapy school interview questions posted by some schools, but only a couple of them were asked at WesternU. And there were probably less than 10 questions. Goodluck!

What do you mean they asked job interview question? Can you give some examples?

hey! so i'm actually a student at westernu's DPT program and the set of questions vary from interview to interview. they really depend on which faculty members interview you. the best way to prep for the interview (and to cover most of your bases) is to go over the basic interview questions such as why do you want to go to PT school, if you're put in a morally difficult situation how would you respond, etc. some faculty members have your app in front of them so they may ask you specific questions about your application. good luck!

http://christina-pt.blogspot.com/

Thank you! I actually had my interview Friday. I had Dr. Laurie M. Layton and Mosconi. They made my interview process less nerve wrecking. Both were extremely funny and easy-going. GL to everyone. Hope I hear good news in 2 weeks

Good to hear Cathytn! I have interview with WesternU this Monday...hope everything goes well!!

My friend told me the last one is in Feb 9th. Im still waiting for them.

My friend told me the last one is in Feb 9th. Im still waiting for them.
I just got an interview on the 9th...kind of makes me nervous being on the last day if that's true...

If anyone else had an interview at Western U, can you share a bit of how it went for you? Anythings specifically they are looking for?

Has anybody who was interviewed heard from Western yet regarding admission? They told us we would hear in two weeks-- that was 2 weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the same situation as you rodent. Still waiting...

Has anybody who was interviewed heard from Western yet regarding admission? They told us we would hear in two weeks-- that was 2 weeks ago.

So i called in today and talked to Albert who is in charge of the DPT files. He said that there are 6 more interview dates and that Feb 9th is not the last day. He said I am next in line with 19 other people for an interview. You should try calling in admissions on Monday to figure out the status. I dont like this waiting game.... :(

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an interview on the 9th...kind of makes me nervous being on the last day if that's true...

If anyone else had an interview at Western U, can you share a bit of how it went for you? Anythings specifically they are looking for?

If you type in "pre pt forum western university" on google.. a grip of stuff will pop out.

I got my acceptance today. Hope you hear back soon.

What was your stats if you do not mind sharing? Please.

My stats were average but I had a lot of observation hours and had great interviewers.

My stats were average but I had a lot of observation hours and had great interviewers.

Thank You for sharing!...Same here, I had one of the interviewer who I actually met on Preview Day, so it was very comfortable to talk...but let's see I hope I hear something positive :(

Thank You for sharing!...Same here, I had one of the interviewer who I actually met on Preview Day, so it was very comfortable to talk...but let's see I hope I hear something positive :(

Good luck ! hope you hear the good news soon !

Unfortunately, I didn't get in...Good Luck to you :)

Unfortunately, I didn't get in...Good Luck to you :)

Megi- were you rejected or placed as an alternate? I was given that status as an alternate, which is a little discouraging since there is a "high priority waitlist"

James - I am rejected. I really do not understand what went wrong or what did I miss. I had completed everything including pre-req, working as PT Aide, good standing letters...really this is very frustrating :( I am very curious to find out in May!

James - I am rejected. I really do not understand what went wrong or what did I miss. I had completed everything including pre-req, working as PT Aide, good standing letters...really this is very frustrating :( I am very curious to find out in May!

I'm sorry, I know how frustrating this whole application process is. I'm so determined to get in this year that I applied to 12 schools only to get rejected by 6, wait listed by 4, and still waiting to hear back from 2 others. I hope you get into another program you applied to, but if not don't get discouraged. If you continue to strengthen your application, programs will take notice your determination to get in.

Western... Can be frustrating. Last month, I was told that I was on the high priority interview list for interview. Two weeks later I was told that they did not have a high priority interview list (WTF?) but said that I was next in with a group of people to get an interview. Two weeks after that, I get an email saying my file was on "hold"....

is it bad that i still haven't heard anything from Western U.?

You should call Karen Lopez. 30 spots been filled. I think there should be two more interview dates. Did you get an email saying there was a hold on your file? If you weren't notified, I suggest you call em.. Good Luck.

I emailed Alberto Espejo about 3 weeks ago. He said my file is being reviewed by the admissions committee and that I would be notified of their decision in about 10 to 14 days... but still nothing. Oh 30 already? so there's probably only about 15 to 20 spots left...

Thanks for the reply

So i called in today and talked to Albert who is in charge of the DPT files. He said that there are 6 more interview dates and that Feb 9th is not the last day. He said I am next in line with 19 other people for an interview. You should try calling in admissions on Monday to figure out the status. I dont like this waiting game.... :(

Did you hear anything from them prior to calling about your admission status? I have not heard anything at all from them, would it be bad to call and ask about my status?

Did you hear anything from them prior to calling about your admission status? I have not heard anything at all from them, would it be bad to call and ask about my status?

Just the email. No it wouldn't be bad. I been calling once or twice a week to check my status. Call either Karen or Albert

megi- I am sorry to hear. Honestly, don't be discourage like James said. This cycle is just so competitive especially with so many people applying. Best Regards!

Last edited:
I emailed Alberto Espejo about 3 weeks ago. He said my file is being reviewed by the admissions committee and that I would be notified of their decision in about 10 to 14 days... but still nothing. Oh 30 already? so there's probably only about 15 to 20 spots left...

Thanks for the reply

Ya about 20 spots left. I think it's a class size of 50

i was accepted and will be declining so that is one more spot for someone else

rodent- I had my interview on 1/25 and heard back by 2/4

I got an email today saying that I have been chosen for an interview! My interview is Fri Feb. 22. He said it will be the last interview date. Anyone know how many people are being interviewed? Albert said there are about 10 spots left.
**Any advice for the interview?? Thanks!

I was part of the first round interviews.

1) There's an essay before the actual interview. They have you look at a picture and ask you to write about it and how it relates to physical therapy.

2) After, they bring you upstairs into a room where they have grouped you all by colors. Professors will call you individually where you then will be interviewed by 2 faculty members.

The professors were really nice but some of the questions they asked require you to be able to think on your feet a little bit. My best advice would be to answer honestly, but polish it up since you're speaking to professors.

If you dont mind, what is the picture exactly? Abstract or is it actually of something specifically? How long was the essay? Any examples of some of the questions? Thank you!

Got an interview invitation for Feb 22 as well. Same day as the interview for UNLV. Guess I have a choice to make...

The picture is an actual picture and you have 15 mins to write about how it relates to PT. Interview questions are not typical why your doing PT but questions to see who you are as an individual. For example, my interviewer asked me who is my role model. My honest advise is to go over just the basic and honestly be yourself. I came in prepared with the typical questions they would ask but they didn't ask me any of it. Most of the questions I just gave them my honest answer. Good Luck!

I just got an email for an interview~! I am beyond excited since I've been waiting so long. Thank you all for the information you have provided, it is really helpful!! :)

megi- I am sorry to hear. Honestly, don't be discourage like James said. This cycle is just so competitive especially with so many people applying. Best Regards!

Thank You Cathytn and James for your kind words....James I hope you get in. I was also determined to get in this year, I had all my plan set up. But Yes I will surely take this in consideration and will try improving my application. I have only one C in Psychology...I will re take that. But besides this I do not what should I improve on. Please, give me some ideas if you guys get a chance.....I am so glad I am receiving a very friendly response from two of you...I this PT is all about being friendly and interacting....:)

Thank You Cathytn and James for your kind words....James I hope you get in. I was also determined to get in this year, I had all my plan set up. But Yes I will surely take this in consideration and will try improving my application. I have only one C in Psychology...I will re take that. But besides this I do not what should I improve on. Please, give me some ideas if you guys get a chance.....I am so glad I am receiving a very friendly response from two of you...I this PT is all about being friendly and interacting....:)

I would definitely work on your personal statement. I believe that what got me an interview because my undergrad cumulative GPA was not great. How many observation hours do you have ? Maybe work on getting more hours in different setting. Do you have any other school your waiting on ?

Interview invitations sent out today for the last two days. I declined so hopefully they'll give my spot away. Good luck to anyone waiting for Western U

I am working as a Rehab Aide, so Ortho hours is no problem, I am trying to get some in-patient hours. I have one wait list and one I have not hear anything from which is CSU Northridge. What do you think how should we formulate our personal statement? Since I came from India in 2005, I described all of my struggle and hard work of improvement and my dedication and determination to be PT....

Got an interview invitation for Feb 22 as well. Same day as the interview for UNLV. Guess I have a choice to make...

This happened to me, and I just sent an email to one of the schools politely saying that I was unable to attend on that date and asked if there were any alternate times for an interview.

Most won't ask for a specific reason, but the school I am talking about did. I told them straight up that a different school had informed me earlier of an interview invitation and I had already financially committed by purchasing a non-refundable plane ticket. I made it clear to them that I was not choosing the other school over them, it's just that I was already committed.

They completely understood and gave me a interview day that worked!

Give it a shot! Interviews are very valuable

I received an email today saying that there is no longer a "high priority waitlist", so I guess I feel a little better being placed as an alternate (along with about 40 other students according to the email). I'm guessing the program is going to wait until they complete the last round of interviews before they start adding alternates.