Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, and congrats!

To those of you getting ii's, any of you have MD letters instead of DO?

I only had an MD LOR, but I did have a decent amount of exposure to osteopathic medicine in my ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview scheduled for 11/16. Received the call earlier this week! All of my materials were received last week, but I just recently (today) got the confirmation that my application was complete even though I already had an interview scheduled.

Excited for the interview!

Interview scheduled for 11/16. Received the call earlier this week! All of my materials were received last week, but I just recently (today) got the confirmation that my application was complete even though I already had an interview scheduled.

Excited for the interview!

Congrats and good luck! Several of us will be there with you!!

Received a phone call 11/5 for interview. Will be on campus Dec 7th. Very excited considering Western NW is one of my top choices.

cGPA: 3.4, sGPA: 3.5, MCAT: 29, excellent LORs (MD and DO), some volunteer and extensive clinic experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Received a phone call 11/5 for interview. Will be on campus Dec 7th. Very excited considering Western NW is one of my top choices.

cGPA: 3.4, sGPA: 3.5, MCAT: 29, excellent LORs (MD and DO), some volunteer and extensive clinic experience.

See you there on December 7th. Do you live out of state? This school is also one of my top choices too.

Last edited:
Anyone have suggestions for a hotel in Lebanon?
I stayed at the Phoenix Inn in Albany. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but the pre-interview pizza night was held there. The hotel gave me a discount too for being an interviewee. Just call them and tell them you are interviewing at the school. Pretty nice place too.

Hi all,

I interviewed here on 10/19 and just found out I've been waitlisted. :( (FYI - OR resident, 28 MCAT, sci GPA 3.43 with retakes, average ECs) COMP-NW is my first choice and I intend on sending them a letter of intent/interest. A few questions:

Should I email or snail mail my letter of intent?
I interviewed at PNWU as well, if I get accepted there should I say that I got accepted to another school but COMP-NW is my first choice or leave the other school out of it?
I have a LOR that I never sent, from my psych professor, non-science but a strong letter. Should I send it to them now?
In addition to working full time, I plan on starting up a new volunteer job. Should I contact the DOs I shadowed to get more shadowing hours with them, or try and squeeze in more science classes?

Any other advice, especially from current COMP-NW students who were accepted off the waitlist, is also welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

Hi all,

I interviewed here on 10/19 and just found out I've been waitlisted. :( (FYI - OR resident, 28 MCAT, sci GPA 3.43 with retakes, average ECs) COMP-NW is my first choice and I intend on sending them a letter of intent/interest. A few questions:

I interviewed at PNWU as well, if I get accepted there should I say that I got accepted to another school but COMP-NW is my first choice or leave the other school out of it?
I have a LOR that I never sent, from my psych professor, non-science but a strong letter. Should I send it to them now?
In addition to working full time, I plan on starting up a new volunteer job. Should I contact the DOs I shadowed to get more shadowing hours with them, or try and squeeze in more science classes?

Any other advice, especially from current COMP-NW students who were accepted off the waitlist, is also welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

A letter of intent seems like a great idea, however I would probably wait until around Dec 15th. That's when the first deposit is due for people who have been accepted and I'm sure reminding them you're still interested near that time is a good idea as well as updating your EC's. As for bringing up possibly being accepted to PNWU I'd say it's up to you. Personally I wouldn't, I would just focus on why you want to attend COMP-NW. Best of luck to you. Maybe we'll be classmates next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
A letter of intent seems like a great idea, however I would probably wait until around Dec 15th. That's when the first deposit is due for people who have been accepted and I'm sure reminding them you're still interested near that time is a good idea as well as updating your EC's. As for bringing up possibly being accepted to PNWU I'd say it's up to you. Personally I wouldn't, I would just focus on why you want to attend COMP-NW. Best of luck to you. Maybe we'll be classmates next year.

On the other hand, if this school is truly your intent, you should get back to them now with that intent. If you wait til a month or 2 down the road, it might just sound like you're running out of options and decided to pull the 'ol last ditch attempt of sending letters of intent to everywhere that waitlisted you. Don't say you're considering another school, b/c they'll give your seat to the next person that really, really needs it.

Plus, I know a lot of students that have got in off the WL this year so hang in there. The only crappy thing is it might be a long wait until may or june, or july even, wondering if you need to reapply or not.

Can any current students comment on the quality of the housing near the school?

Will be sending out my deposit soon--and exploring housing options now.
There's lots of options here in Lebanon, and even more if you expand your options to surrounding towns like Albany. Just across the street from the school are some great apartments. Cascade Ridge is where many students stay, and they have great things to say about the quality of the apartments as well as the management.
I am renting an apartment that is a tiny bit farther from the school (still just a 3 min bike ride) and not as good of quality but it's much cheaper. I think cascade is upwards of $800/month for a 2 bed that includes everything but electricity. I pay $575/month for my 2 bed with everything but electricity. Electric bill has been less than $90/month so far, and that's probably higher than others since I have a family and they are at home at all day.
Other popular apartments are queen ann apts and parkside apts.

Can any current students comment on the quality of the housing near the school?

Will be sending out my deposit soon--and exploring housing options now.

I currently live at Parkside apartments. They're pretty reasonable. I pay 655 a month for a 1 bedroom, everything but electricity and internet/cable/etc. The apartments are clean, reasonably spacious and my neighbors have been fine. The manager Anne is fantastic and I've yet to have a problem getting anything taken care of if need be. Downsides are that the apartments are literally behind a charter elementary school and we share an exit from the parking lot to the street. I'm not home that often but apparently the kids can get loud during the day. If you were going to stay here, I would try to get one of the units that not right up next to the school. Also, if you're running late and leaving school when the kids are being dropped off in the morning it can be a little annoying to get out of the parking lot. All in all, I'm happy with my decision to stay here.We also have some classmates who commute from Albany and Corvallis. The drive isn't that bad, and they definitely have more options for shopping, food, non-school related activities, etc. Just something to consider. Happy to answer any other questions about Comp NW or Lebanon here or in PM.

I currently live at Parkside apartments. They're pretty reasonable. I pay 655 a month for a 1 bedroom, everything but electricity and internet/cable/etc. The apartments are clean, reasonably spacious and my neighbors have been fine. The manager Anne is fantastic and I've yet to have a problem getting anything taken care of if need be. Downsides are that the apartments are literally behind a charter elementary school and we share an exit from the parking lot to the street. I'm not home that often but apparently the kids can get loud during the day. If you were going to stay here, I would try to get one of the units that not right up next to the school. Also, if you're running late and leaving school when the kids are being dropped off in the morning it can be a little annoying to get out of the parking lot. All in all, I'm happy with my decision to stay here.We also have some classmates who commute from Albany and Corvallis. The drive isn't that bad, and they definitely have more options for shopping, food, non-school related activities, etc. Just something to consider. Happy to answer any other questions about Comp NW or Lebanon here or in PM.

There's lots of options here in Lebanon, and even more if you expand your options to surrounding towns like Albany. Just across the street from the school are some great apartments. Cascade Ridge is where many students stay, and they have great things to say about the quality of the apartments as well as the management.
I am renting an apartment that is a tiny bit farther from the school (still just a 3 min bike ride) and not as good of quality but it's much cheaper. I think cascade is upwards of $800/month for a 2 bed that includes everything but electricity. I pay $575/month for my 2 bed with everything but electricity. Electric bill has been less than $90/month so far, and that's probably higher than others since I have a family and they are at home at all day.
Other popular apartments are queen ann apts and parkside apts.

Thank you Gentlemen--will be PMing you both later today on your opinions for housing in Albany.

Thank you Gentlemen--will be PMing you both later today on your opinions for housing in Albany.
I personally have no experience or idea about housing in Albany. I didn't even look there because I need to be able to ride my bike in to school. I wouldn't be able to advise you there.
;)

I also don't know how much I could comment on housing in Albany. Its not a giant city but it certainly is larger than Lebanon with more options for shopping/eating etc. Less of a college town than Corvallis is, however. If you're genuinely interested I will ask a classmate of mine who lives there and I'll see what he thinks. Just let me know.

Hi all,

Hey,
I was wait listed here last year which sucked because it was my first choice but ended up getting in off the wait list as did quite a few others in my class. If you call Jeannie Davis, she will let you know where your application was weak what more they would like to see from you. They will not start pulling people off the list until after the last interview which was in march last year and I got the call in April. I'm not exactly sure when the last interview is this cycle though. Definitely send a letter of intent and let them know why you wanna go here and what you can offer. Continue sending in anymore letters f Rec, volunteer hours, grades, etc. if you or any other wait listers have more questions about how to improve your chances of getting in, I'm happy to talk about my experience. Don't give up hope and good luck on your other interviews!

Hi there!

Could people who have interviewed here post their MMI situations?

Thanks so much! Congrats to those who have gotten in!

I was wondering if there was any 3rd or 4th years students who could answer some questions about rotations? I was accepted to the class of 2018 and have some concerns....but overall I really like the school and am excited I was accepted!

I read on some thread that they sign a non disclosure agreement about the questions.

That's correct. However, if you look up any sample MMI questions on the internet beforehand AND if you're not a jerk and generally like people, you shouldn't have anything to worry about :)

Interview invite just now. Complete 11/13. IS.

Congrats! Make the most of it! I had mine last Saturday, it was a wonderful experience and I enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks to gocougs and master aemon for your advice. I did call Jeannie, and while she did not give me any information specific to my application, she was able to answer some questions I had. She did say that a letter of intent is one of the best ways to help my application, and that I can email it as an attachment. My next steps are to draft a letter, contact one of the DOs I shadowed that has ties to the school for more hours and possibly a LOR, and contact the local food bank to get more volunteer hours. I wanted to take more science classes, but I don't have the money or time for that right now. I did get accepted to PNWU so I will be a doctor no matter what, but I felt much more at home at COMP-NW. Good luck to all the other waitlisters!

SWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! Got the call from Dr. Pham

Next step of the journey is under way! Now I can cancel all my other interviews and begin waiting out the remainder of this year.

Accepted into the Class of 2018

So happy...

Reactions: 1 users
II today! Complete November 14th. OOS. Congrats to everyone else who got one as well!

II today! Complete November 14th. OOS. Congrats to everyone else who got one as well!
Mind sharing stats? Just curious as to what they are looking at right about now.

Sure, cGPA: 3.4, sGPA: 3.7, MCAT: 27, LOR from MD and DO, fair ECs, ED scribe, lots of research experience

II yesterday as well. Complete on November 14th. OOS, cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 27, Masters degree, no DO letter, lots of research and ECs.

See you there on December 7th. Do you live out of state? This school is also one of my top choices too.

For folks who already interviewed, especially those on Dec 7th, what did you guys think? I was really excited by the presentations at the beginning of the day, but as we talked more about the streaming lectures, and then taking the tour of the pretty small facilities, I started to reconsider. On the one hand, the faculty and the students both seem to be really outstanding; on the other, those might be the only resources we'll have as students there. Maybe I was just thrown off by the MMI, but I left feeling less than great about the experience. It might have also just been the cold :).

For folks who already interviewed, especially those on Dec 7th, what did you guys think? I was really excited by the presentations at the beginning of the day, but as we talked more about the streaming lectures, and then taking the tour of the pretty small facilities, I started to reconsider. On the one hand, the faculty and the students both seem to be really outstanding; on the other, those might be the only resources we'll have as students there. Maybe I was just thrown off by the MMI, but I left feeling less than great about the experience. It might have also just been the cold :).
Currently a student here, and while there are issues with technology at times, I really like the system here overall. I don't feel that I am at a disadvantage with the resources I have here, but that's just my perspective after going to a grand total of one medical school ever. Lol

Here was the big thing for me. As we toured on Saturday, I noticed donor names around the building that are instructors at the school. That tells me they are there for more than a paycheck. They are invested in the school and in order for it to succeed, I believe they will help me succeed.

Reactions: 3 users
Here was the big thing for me. As we toured on Saturday, I noticed donor names around the building that are instructors at the school. That tells me they are there for more than a paycheck. They are invested in the school and in order for it to succeed, I believe they will help me succeed.
The faculty have been absolutely amazing. Nobody's perfect and I'm sure there are plenty that can find fault or gripe about our professors, but overall they just really seem to be here to help. They have often gone out of their way to help us out.

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my secondary on 12/8, when should I hear about the interview? and would it come in via email?

How long did it take to get the "complete" email? They've had all of my application materials visible on my file for a month, but I've yet to receive anything saying I'm complete. I assumed because my letters and other materials were there, that I was.
Have you heard anything back yet? if so, how did they get in touch with you?

Have you heard anything back yet? if so, how did they get in touch with you?
I emailed them asking if I should have received a "complete" email. It took almost a week to hear back, but then I was moved to complete right away. I received my interview invite shortly (a week or so) thereafter. I think my secondary was overlooked initially due to remarks in the email they sent me. If they have had all of your materials for more than a few weeks, I would email them.

Canceling my interview scheduled for 01/11, good luck to everyone!

I emailed them asking if I should have received a "complete" email. It took almost a week to hear back, but then I was moved to complete right away. I received my interview invite shortly (a week or so) thereafter. I think my secondary was overlooked initially due to remarks in the email they sent me. If they have had all of your materials for more than a few weeks, I would email them.
I will follow up. Do you mind sharing your stats?