Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will follow up. Do you mind sharing your stats?
From the NW, wanting to stay here. 3.6 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA, unbalanced 29 (11/7PS/11). Non-traditional with military and paramedic backgrounds. No DO letter or shadowing due to lack of DOs in my region (rural), MD only. I wouldn't say outstanding relevant EC's, but definitely unique life experiences. I only included the extra details in this post, because I feel that those are more important to them than the numbers. Everyone I met on my interview day had very interesting stories and a very wide range of stats. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

From the NW, wanting to stay here. 3.6 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA, unbalanced 29 (11/7PS/11). Non-traditional with military and paramedic backgrounds. No DO letter or shadowing due to lack of DOs in my region (rural), MD only. I wouldn't say outstanding relevant EC's, but definitely unique life experiences. I only included the extra details in this post, because I feel that those are more important to them than the numbers. Everyone I met on my interview day had very interesting stories and a very wide range of stats. Good luck!
Thank you. That is nice to hear as I have somewhat of a non traditional background including graduate level work, and hospital employment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Pham just called! What an awesome guy! It's really the people at COMP-NW that make me want to go there. So happy to have the option! Good luck everyone still waiting to hear.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today too!

Dr. Pham just called! What an awesome guy! It's really the people at COMP-NW that make me want to go there. So happy to have the option! Good luck everyone still waiting to hear.

Agreed, the students and faculty there were awesome!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Received the phone call yesterday afternoon. Class of 2018. See those of you accepted in the fall!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! Received the phone call yesterday afternoon. Class of 2018. See those of you accepted in the fall!
Congratulations to everyone accepted! Hope to join you guys soon!!!

Just got the acceptance call about 30 mins ago! ::stoked::

Congrats!!! Somehow I had a feeling you would be getting one. Glad to hear it and welcome to the Class of 2018!!

Reactions: 1 user
It appears that I should have read a few more posts before replying... Congrats and welcome to all of you! For those that accept, I will see you in late summer! :)

Btw, is there a COMP-NW Class of 2018 Facebook page yet?

I was wondering the same thing. I looked, but didn't find one.

Maybe that's something that could be started. Are you planning to accept the offer? I noticed that you cancelled your PNWU interview for the 11th. (I was to interview there on the 11th as well, but cancelled upon being accepted to COMP-NW)

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe that's something that could be started. Are you planning to accept the offer? I noticed that you cancelled your PNWU interview for the 11th. (I was to interview there on the 11th as well, but cancelled upon being accepted to COMP-NW)
There is one school that I haven't ruled out yet and have an interview at in a month, but if I get accepted there, it would be a tough decision between the two. I will be accepting my seat and paying the deposit at COMP NW for sure though.

Hey guys. Third year here, from the good ol' class of 2015. I was a bit sad nobody posted from my class yet. First of all, here is link to last year's discussion thread, which in itself has a link to the previous years. It could have some good info.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/western-u-lebanon-comp-discussion-thread-2012-2013.912706/

Second, congrats to all that were accepted so far and good luck to all those who have yet to interview. As already mentioned in this thread, the school is so very amenable and welcoming to change the first and second years would be better for didactic year questions and a 4th year broke down the rotations pretty well for you guys. I'm just here to add to the fund of knowledge or if you guys had any specific questions about rotations, faculty, general life experiences, etc.

P.s. You guys should totally go to the pizza night. It helps with pre-interview jitters and let's you talk with current students.

Last edited:
Just called and made the second deposit. Woot Woot!

New here. I was wondering how long it took to get your acceptance letter in the mail to pay for your deposits? I interviewed 12/7/13 and received a call from Dr. Pham on 12/19/13. Thank you for any help.

New here. I was wondering how long it took to get your acceptance letter in the mail to pay for your deposits? I interviewed 12/7/13 and received a call from Dr. Pham on 12/19/13. Thank you for any help.[/quot

It took a little over two weeks after the phone call before I got my letter. And then two weeks after that I got an acceptance email.

When is the second deposit due? I'm having a hard time finding the date

When is the second deposit due? I'm having a hard time finding the date

I was in the Nov 16th interview group, mine was also due on Feb 1. But if you have any doubt email or call admissions.

Anyone know how viable it is to just bike to school from Cascade Ridge?
Would be interested in maybe skipping out on a Parking Pass and just riding a bike.

Does the weather generally permit this?

Would be interested in maybe skipping out on a Parking Pass and just riding a bike.

Hey there current first year here. It is definitely an option to bike from Cascade Ridge to the school, the apartments are literally 1-2 minutes from school driving, so you can imagine how short of a bike ride that would be...

Many people bike to school from all over Lebanon since the town is so small. Of course weather is a factor but it didn't start raining here till about mid-October ish. I'm from Seattle so I'm pretty used to the rain, but I have noticed there seems to be more days here in the winter that is cold but sunny so you can still bike in the Winter. There are days when you just cannot bike though, such as when you have your white coat on or you're in a hurry.

Also, parking passes are free here at COMP-NW (they only cost money down in Pomona), so you're good on that too!

Let me know if you guys have any other questions, and congrats on all the acceptances so far!

I plan to ride in daily from about 3.5 miles out of town. I've checked the route out and it certainly appears to be doable. I've heard that many students regularly bike in.

Waiting for news from a Jan. 11 interview--this will be either a really good day or a really crappy one based on past phone acceptance patterns.

Any hypotheses about why they ask how many other interview invites you have? They obviously care for some reason otherwise they wouldn't ask, but how might it factor in to their decision making process?

Waiting for news from a Jan. 11 interview--this will be either a really good day or a really crappy one based on past phone acceptance patterns.

Any hypotheses about why they ask how many other interview invites you have? They obviously care for some reason otherwise they wouldn't ask, but how might it factor in to their decision making process?
I'm not really sure why they ask about other interview invites. I had been asked that elsewhere prior to my interview here so I had some time to consider how I would answer that question. I just decided answering honestly was the best option, even at the risk of sounding like I was bragging.

They might be asking just to see how you respond. Are you hesitant or forthcoming? Do you seem genuine? Maybe they're just trying to evaluate how other schools judge your potential?

Really, I think the best option for any interview is to be yourself 100% and try to let the interview unfold as a normal conversation. Well, a normal conversation when you're on your best behavior! ;)

Anybody from the Jan 11 group hear anything last night?

I just got the call!!!! Going to COMP-NW!!!! =)

PS for everyone wondering if they go alphabetically, my name was first alphabetically on interview day (based on how they had the folders arranged on the table) so I think they do unless someone else got a call before me this morning.

I called and learned the dean is still deciding about some of the Jan. 11 interviews and decisions will be mailed by the end of the week. Congrats to everyone who already got the call!

Interview Invite!!! Any suggestions or comments on the area? Never been

Hey all! Can anyone here comment on their decision to attend Western U COMP-NW who may have had some exposure to WVSOM or other rural-based programs? I have been doing some research on both schools, and am still blown away by the quality of rotations/faculty/homeliness of Western's program, and wanted to see if anyone could provide their $0.02! Thank you in advance for your replies!

Hey all! Can anyone here comment on their decision to attend Western U COMP-NW who may have had some exposure to WVSOM or other rural-based programs? I have been doing some research on both schools, and am still blown away by the quality of rotations/faculty/homeliness of Western's program, and wanted to see if anyone could provide their $0.02! Thank you in advance for your replies!

Not sure if the rotations/faculty are anything remarkable? When I interviewed, and from a friend that is a current student on rotations, the faculty are mediocre (most of them being beamed up from Pomona on the big screen), and the rotations are still very much a work in progress. Still a lot of flux in sites and work to do from ramping up their NW track (30 or so students) to the full blown 105 students. Regarding homeliness: They do definitely take care of their students there which is worth a lot. I would say administration are great, not faculty.

Pham was cool on interview day and I think he teaches some of the first year clinical stuff. I hear their anatomy faculty are over-eager to push their own agenda/terminology which makes the testing between the two campuses a bit of a snafu. Who knows, it's med school and that's what students are best at, bitching about everything. So maybe this is all BS.

Not sure if the rotations/faculty are anything remarkable? When I interviewed, and from a friend that is a current student on rotations, the faculty are mediocre (most of them being beamed up from Pomona on the big screen), and the rotations are still very much a work in progress. Still a lot of flux in sites and work to do from ramping up their NW track (30 or so students) to the full blown 105 students. Regarding homeliness: They do definitely take care of their students there which is worth a lot. I would say administration are great, not faculty.

Pham was cool on interview day and I think he teaches some of the first year clinical stuff. I hear their anatomy faculty are over-eager to push their own agenda/terminology which makes the testing between the two campuses a bit of a snafu. Who knows, it's med school and that's what students are best at, bitching about everything. So maybe this is all BS.

Thank you so much TickleMyPink for the speedy response. I do understand that the streaming lectures are something that could pose a challenge to some. Do you know if most students feel as if they are receiving the necessary content in a communicable manner? I know everyone learns differently, but are ideas conveyed effectively? I read somewhere that you are able to pose questions via microphone during lectures, so that seems like it could resolve situations in need of clarification.

Is it possible for you to comment on the clinical skills that go into training for students? I remember reading that cadavers are used for instruction purposes, for procedures, etc. Do students receive adequate training in skills before OMS III and IV?

I appreciate the insight on the rotation sites. I know it may take some tweaking with the influx of students, but hopefully if I were to make it as a member of c/o 2018, it may be a little more stable by the time I get a chance to rotate. Overall, I am trying to get a feel of the major pros/cons/concerns of the students there. I know I will be able to get a much better scope of the situation when I interview this month, but any additional information is much appreciated! Thank you again for taking out the time to write back.

Streaming probably doesn't matter because at my school nobody goes to lecture anyway. If you're going to sit at home in your pajamas w/ a cup of coffee and watch the lectures on your computer, it doesn't make a difference.

Also it's a fine school, just not for the reasons that you brought up. I realized I was being unfairly negative towards them in my last post. If you're interested in rural, definitely give them a look. I'm definitely not qualified to critique it anymore than what I already told you that came from a reliable source. I've gotta defer to current students to talk about specifics.

I joined SDN just because I am really interested in other opinions about these two schools!! Any more guidance would be fabulous!

I joined SDN just because I am really interested in other opinions about these two schools!! Any more guidance would be fabulous!
Well, I guess I can help lol. I have interviewed at both WVSOM and COMP-NW and I was accepted at COMP-NW this year. Both schools are great and will get you where you want to be. However, if I had to pick between both schools I would attend COMP-NW over WVSOM.

WVSOM is a great school, they have fairly decent board pass rates when you consider that they accept many students with lower stats. WVSOM main selling point when I interviewed was that they created an excellent anatomy program that many new schools basically emulate. However, my train of thought is if new schools are basically copying what they created and improving upon it, then who cares. WVSOM is very cheap if you are an in-state student, OOS state is about 50k, so about the same as COMP-NW. WVSOM has state-of-the-art human sims which I thought were very cool because you can practice many scenarios without killing a live patient. As far as I know COMP-NW doesn't have human sims, if they do I don't remember seeing them on my tour. COMP-NW really pushes patient exposure and as a student you will have many simulated patient encounters in your first 2 years which I prefer over the human sims. WVSOM also has simulated patients encounters but not nearly as many COMP-NW. I prefer Lewisburg over Lebanon, it was just cooler and prettier town all around. Outside of the towns, COMP-NW is in a much better location. You're 1.5 hours or less from the ocean, mountains, or Portland. West Virgina is beautiful and has it's fair share of outdoor activities, but it just doesn't compare to Oregon. Both schools are located in relatively cheap areas to live. All of WVSOM 3rd year rotations are done in WV, COMP-NW's are mostly in Oregon with a few also near the Tacoma area. I believe both schools allow more flexibility in their 4 year rotations. Both schools will definitely provide exposure to rural medicine but COMP-NW has rotations in bigger cities as well.