Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they went out yet. No one on the Pomona thread got them either.

I submitted my AACOMAS on 6/25, any idea when it will get verified?

Thanks for the reply! Oregon resident, would really love to attend COMP!

Just received the secondary and there are a lot more/different essay questions than the Pomona secondary.

1. While shadowing a Physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
2. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest?
3. Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.
4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.
5. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.

Each essay has 1650 character limit.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody else think these secondary prompts are really good questions?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! Oregon resident checking in, hoping for some in state love!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or someone else feels #2 and #4 are extremely similar to each other? Even #3 to some extent.

Question.

One of the prompts of Western Lebanon is the same as the Western Pomona.

While shadowing a Physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (1650 characters)

Did you guys use the same response Or did you kind of change it up?

Question.

One of the prompts of Western Lebanon is the same as the Western Pomona.

While shadowing a Physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (1650 characters)

Did you guys use the same response Or did you kind of change it up?
I'm gonna do the same.

i used the exact same response to that one

is it taking anyone else hella long to see their rec letters posted? it's been a week + since they were delivered via interfolio and i saw my file was updated to "incomplete" today. bah.

I don't know how long they took to post my letters, but they only had my committee letter marked as received and not my DO letter even though all my letters were sent as a packet via Virtual Evals. I emailed them on Tuesday afternoon, and they had already checked and fixed it and emailed me back that evening. It couldn't hurt to send them an email.

Received a phone call today offering an interview invite! WA applicant, 30 MCAT, 3.8GPA. Really excited about this one (despite the 7 hour drive there). Interview is scheduled for September 6th.

Just got the call as well. ID applicant, 31 MCAT, 3.9+ GPA, my first interview invite so far so it definitely has reduced my anxiety a bit. I'm on September 6th as well!

II!!! 25MCAT 3.8 complete 7/23

First II! CO applicant, 29 MCAT, 3.9+ GPA

did you guys receive two separate secondary emails from both campus or do we just assume that we can apply to both campus using that one email?

I got two separate secondary emails.
Thanks for your reply! I got the email directing me to fill out secondary for Lebanon campus but on my portal it shows both lebanon and pomona campus under "Processed applications". But only the lebanon campus is paid for though. I will give westernU a call today to see what's up with it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't bother applying to both campuses. They are considered for all purposes one class, and you will be asked to choose your prefence campus. Save the exta money.

Hey emtthink,

That may have been true last year. However, according to admissions at COMP-NW this year they are allowing students to apply at both simultaneously. The justification for the change is that each school, by in large attracts different kinds of applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Interview invite today—I will be there 10/4/14!

Hey! I am really interested in COMP and was hoping that current students, especially those with family might have some perspective on my questions/concers.

What is it like having a family and being a student here? Also is there the option to watch lectures at home instead of attending in person?

Also are there many options for daycare in Lebanon? Or do people with family tend to live further away?

Sorry for all of the questions! From what I have seen on the website it seems like an awesome school, just looking for more specifics. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Hey! I am really interested in COMP and was hoping that current students, especially those with family might have some perspective on my questions/concers.

What is it like having a family and being a student here? Also is there the option to watch lectures at home instead of attending in person?

Also are there many options for daycare in Lebanon? Or do people with family tend to live further away?

Sorry for all of the questions! From what I have seen on the website it seems like an awesome school, just looking for more specifics. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Hey, current 4th year student at Western - Lebanon. Just browsing the step 2 threads and figured I'd take a peek in here.

I don't have any children, so I won't try to answer what it's like having a family and being in Lebanon, but many of the students from my class have a family (some with many kids) and did well in Lebanon. I cannot specifically address daycare availability, but I know that there are options in the area, I'm just not sure of the quality, specifics, etc. Many people live in Lebanon (some have homes here), but there are some that live in Corvallis or Albany as well and commute.

Finally, something I can answer more definitively: for my class, we were required to be in anatomy lectures (the first 12 weeks or so, and I'm not sure if this is the case anymore) and there are some required lectures, but for the most part you can watch lectures at home.

Called today and received an II. I'll be flying into Portland on Friday Sept 5th in the evening. If anyone wants to hitch a ride with me down to Lebanon, send me a PM and we can sort something out, also willing to split a hotel and such. Lets save some $$$$$$

II :) but Does that mean i will not get interview invite from the Pomona Campus?!?! :(

II :) but Does that mean i will not get interview invite from the Pomona Campus?!?! :(
I think they run their application processes separate or all intents and purposes. I got an email from the Pomona campus and a phone call from the Lebanon campus. On different days too, I believe.

Oh you
I think they run their application processes separate or all intents and purposes. I got an email from the Pomona campus and a phone call from the Lebanon campus. On different days too, I believe.
oh so u got II at both?! Thats great!

II. See you all on Oct 4th :) still debating between Portland & Eugene airport though. Anyone having some ideas? this is my first interview of the cycle so a little nervous and unorganized for those stuff.
but I am super excited :)

I completed my application file 8/17. Looking forward to an interview invite!

A bit late to post, but first II on 8/14! See you guys on 9/6 :)

(541)259-0214. Didn't have an ID though, just said Lebanon, OR.
I had a blocked call earlier and missed it, thought maybe it was from Western, but I guess not. Do lots of medical schools call for II? I thought email was the normal way.

Hi all, I just wanna make sure..we have to submit the application 10 days within receipt of secondary invite???

Hi all, I just wanna make sure..we have to submit the application 10 days within receipt of secondary invite???
It's not a strict deadline but it highly recommended to complete it ASAP!

ok thank u so much! I read on the website that "Question 8: Can I submit more than the required number of recommendation letters?
Yes. However, it is advisable to limit the additional letters to your 5."

does this mean 5 additional letters?? or a total of 5 letters??

ok thank u so much! I read on the website that "Question 8: Can I submit more than the required number of recommendation letters?
Yes. However, it is advisable to limit the additional letters to your 5."

does this mean 5 additional letters?? or a total of 5 letters??
I think it means 5 in total. That's what I did!