Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok thank u so much! I read on the website that "Question 8: Can I submit more than the required number of recommendation letters?
Yes. However, it is advisable to limit the additional letters to your 5."

does this mean 5 additional letters?? or a total of 5 letters??
I sent 8. woops.

Members don't see this ad.

and I have 6 that I wanna send in..lol thank you guys for the prompt responses!

When was your application complete if you don't mind me asking?

I got the "application ready for review" email on 8/12. When the admissions office called, I was so giddy/excited that I think I scared the nice lady, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the "application ready for review" email on 8/12. When the admissions office called, I was so giddy/excited that I think I scared the nice lady, haha.
I haven't got that email yet, so I guess I need to watch my inbox before I watch my phone.

I'll be over the 10 days by a bit. Their website says the consequence is delayed processing. I'm sure that's not an advantage, but we'll see how detrimental it is I suppose.

Just got II. Application complete on 8/18. 3.66 cGPA, 3.69 sGPA, 31 MCAT (10/11/10). Military and firefighting experience. Washington resident.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
congrats!!! on what day did u schedule an interview?

Thanks!! was just trying to get an idea of the scheduling.

For those who have interview invites. How long did it take between COMP-Northwest your secondary being verified and your interview invite? I had AACOMAS verified 8/7, received secondary 8/15, secondary submitted 8/20, and verified 8/21. Also, CA resident.

For those who have interview invites. How long did it take between COMP-Northwest your secondary being verified and your interview invite? I had AACOMAS verified 8/7, received secondary 8/15, secondary submitted 8/20, and verified 8/21. Also, CA resident.

If you look 2 posts above you, you'll see that superdoc was "complete", or verified as you say, on 8/18. He was offered a II on 8/22. 4 day turnaround.

I'm in the same situation as you are. I was complete/verified on 8/21. If our apps receive the same attention that his did, we should hear back sometime this week. Cross your fingers...

Reactions: 1 user
If you look 2 posts above you, you'll see that superdoc was "complete", or verified as you say, on 8/18. He was offered a II on 8/22. 4 day turnaround.

I'm in the same situation as you are. I was complete/verified on 8/21. If our apps receive the same attention that his did, we should hear back sometime this week. Cross your fingers...

Yeah, I took a look at that after I posted.

Really would like to go here. Good luck! :)

Did everyone receive a complete email or are you considered complete when you status is "application materials received"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone receive a complete email or are you considered complete when you status is "application materials received"?
I received a "received" email. When I login the application reads that it has been processed.

is there a separate portal to view ur application again once you've submitted it?

is there a separate portal to view ur application again once you've submitted it?

You should be able to login to the same place referenced in the original secondary invite. From the page go to "Secondary Application", input your login information and the application menu will have two sections: "Applications in Progress" and "Processed Applications". From there you can select the submitted/processed application and look at the information they have. Mine tells me that my application status is "Application Materials Received", along with the requirements such as receiving the primary application, secondary fee, MCAT information, and letters of recommendation.

Oh thank you so much!!! Mine has not said anything such as "Mine tells me that my application status is "Application Materials Received", along with the requirements such as receiving the primary application, secondary fee, MCAT information, and letters of recommendation." But its prolly cuz I just submitted it today.

Oh thank you so much!!! Mine has not said anything such as "Mine tells me that my application status is "Application Materials Received", along with the requirements such as receiving the primary application, secondary fee, MCAT information, and letters of recommendation." But its prolly cuz I just submitted it today.

It took two days from the time I submitted to the email indicating my application had been verified. I'm not sure if there was a gap between the email and the status update on their secondary page.

I am interviewing 9/6 and was wondering if anyone wants to meet up after and do some climbing? Looks like there is a great bouldering spot nearby Lebanon.

2018er at Cascade Ridge (Apts Across from Campus).

I have a 2 Bed 2 Bath with a spare room. If anyone interviewing this Saturday would prefer to stay with me over reserving a hotel---you're more than welcome. I'm a single dude with no pets.

First one to message me will get the offer.

and best of luck to all of you.

EDIT: Taken--good luck to all of you.

Last edited:
anybody here received II lately? It has been awfully quiet here these few weeks.

anybody here received II lately? It has been awfully quiet here these few weeks.
I just received an email yesterday saying that my application was ready for review. I'm not sure how long it takes for the application to say 'under review', but I'm hopeful that I will hear back soon.

I just received an email yesterday saying that my application was ready for review. I'm not sure how long it takes for the application to say 'under review', but I'm hopeful that I will hear back soon.
My application has been under review since 8/14 haha so you might have to wait for a while! lets hope that we both hear back asap!

My application has been under review since 8/14 haha so you might have to wait for a while! lets hope that we both hear back asap!
Damn. Was that when you got the email or when your application status on the website changed?

Damn. Was that when you got the email or when your application status on the website changed?
thats when I got the email. I don't think the status change at all. I only got the email to tell me that it was under review. On the banweb, it just says all application material received.

thats when I got the email. I don't think the status change at all. I only got the email to tell me that it was under review. On the banweb, it just says all application material received.
Hmm. Ok. My email said it was ready to send for review, not that it is currently under review. Maybe they are backed up with applications

dang looks like i've got a long wait ahead lol...just got the email saying my app will be sent for review today.

I'm wishing the best of luck to all of those individuals who will be interviewing tomorrow! Many of us will be on campus working on some of our study materials, so please don't be afraid to say hello. (If the study room doors aren't open, feel free to wave)! You all will do great, and welcome to Lebanon. :)

I am just sitting here awake, waiting for my interview. I should have tried harder to go back to sleep after waking up at 3am, but then again who can sleep when liters of cortisol and epinephrine are running through their veins!

I am just sitting here awake, waiting for my interview. I should have tried harder to go back to sleep after waking up at 3am, but then again who can sleep when liters of cortisol and epinephrine are running through their veins!

liters? bro you might have a medical condition.

but srsly, good luck on the interview

Reactions: 1 users
liters? bro you might have a medical condition.

but srsly, good luck on the interview
I did great on the interview! I am feeling an acceptance for sure :)

Simple panel interview with a mix of students/faculty. This school is amazing, really. Beautiful building, genuinely invested staff, good curriculum, great location. Would definitely go here.

Reactions: 2 users
What was the interview like?
They have a combined MMI and panel interview.

The MMI portion is where they give you one minute to read a scenario and then you have talk to an actor for 5 minutes about the scenario (there are two scenarios). It is not nearly as scary as it sounds, I was super nervous about it and I ended up doing just fine. I can't tell you the scenarios because I said I wouldn't.

The panel interview is awesome, they don't try to trick you or anything, just ask you about your life and try to get to know you. They really do care about you and try to make you feel as comfortable as possible. I had two faculty and a second year student.

I am really impressed with the school and would be honored to go here.

I was blown away! Love this school even more after the interview.

Interviewed yesterday. SUPER awesome experience. The nitty gritty is detailed by superdoc and hrdrock. But otherwise, nice building. Great community. EXCELLENT people. I got the impression that the staff/faculty really have their heart into the school and this directly trickles down to the students. Hoping for an acceptance!

That sounds awesome. I'm really hoping for an interview, 32 MCAT, 3.9 sGPA and cGPA. I'm a native oregonian and would love to be moving back next year! Good luck to everyone.

That sounds awesome. I'm really hoping for an interview, 32 MCAT, 3.9 sGPA and cGPA. I'm a native oregonian and would love to be moving back next year! Good luck to everyone.
Dude, you are going to get an interview.

When was your application complete?

All of my requirements were fulfilled as of Sept. 4th so it's just a waiting game now.

Lol surprised you are applying DO with those stats?
Yeah, I applied to MD and DO schools. However, I am genuinely interested in osteopathic medicine. Several people have told me that my stats might be a deterrent for DO schools. I hope not.

Yeah, I applied to MD and DO schools. However, I am genuinely interested in osteopathic medicine. Several people have told me that my stats might be a deterrent for DO schools. I hope not.
If you let them know you're genuinely interested in the program and why you have an interest in osteopathic medicine, it shouldn't be a deterrent. Especially if you have experience with OMM and/or shadowing an osteopathic physician. DO schools tend to look at the whole student, not just the stats, so if you're well-rounded and show the desire to be a great physician, not just a student, you should be golden.

Also I'm a second year at COMP-NW happy to answer any questions. I was also wait listed so if any of you who interviewed on saturday find yourselves in that position, I'm happy to share my experience and what I did to boost my application and get in.

@Maester aemon , do you have any knowledge about how COMP-NW process applicant who are being placed on pre-interview hold? I understand that school tend to favor the high stats with great DO familiarity first, then move onto applicants with average stats with great DO familiarity and then so on. I personally fall into that average category and was placed on hold about a week ago.

Does comp-NW also work this way? Do you know if this school reviews all the hold applicants on certain dates or just on a continuing basis?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
@Maester aemon , do you have any knowledge about how COMP-NW process applicant who are being placed on pre-interview hold? I understand that school tend to favor the high stats with great DO familiarity first, then move onto applicants with average stats with great DO familiarity and then so on. I personally fall into that average category and was placed on hold about a week ago.

Does comp-NW also work this way? Do you know if this school reviews all the hold applicants on certain dates or just on a continuing basis?

Thanks in advance!
I would contact Jeannie Davis in the admissions department, she's super friendly and very helpful. I was under the understanding that the pre-interview hold indicates that there may be something in your application that is incomplete or needs verification, but she would be the one to ask as to what it means for your application. Going from there, I believe that they review all of the active applications before every interview. Also, while the school does favor applicants with ties to the NW, there's no hierarchy I'm aware of as far as how they look at the applicants. One thing I love about the school is that they look for well-rounded individuals who will fit in to our community, not just students with great stats. Hopefully this cleared up some things for you, and I'd definitely get in contact with Jeannie regarding the pre-interview hold.

3.89, low mcat at 27, recently complete. I'm hopeful for this school, I have heard nothing but great things and have had great interactions with the students and faculty I have met. Any thoughts on the mcat? I know I'm on the low end...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this makes you feel any better, I have an interview with a similar GPA and 26 MCAT.

I would contact Jeannie Davis in the admissions department, she's super friendly and very helpful. I was under the understanding that the pre-interview hold indicates that there may be something in your application that is incomplete or needs verification, but she would be the one to ask as to what it means for your application. Going from there, I believe that they review all of the active applications before every interview. Also, while the school does favor applicants with ties to the NW, there's no hierarchy I'm aware of as far as how they look at the applicants. One thing I love about the school is that they look for well-rounded individuals who will fit in to our community, not just students with great stats. Hopefully this cleared up some things for you, and I'd definitely get in contact with Jeannie regarding the pre-interview hold.
Thank you for your input. I will for sure get in contact with her. I happen to be an Oregon resident but my stats are bit on the lower side, which I assume why I got the hold for now. Thanks again!