Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.89, low mcat at 27, recently complete. I'm hopeful for this school, I have heard nothing but great things and have had great interactions with the students and faculty I have met. Any thoughts on the mcat? I know I'm on the low end...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a balanced 26 MCAT and a ~3.5 GPA. I was in the first interview group and had an acceptance very early.

The school is awesome in that they really take a holistic approach in looking at people. I believe the average stats actually went down with us--but I believe it's paying off. Our class of 2018 has been awesome--and many 2017ers have noted this to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a balanced 26 MCAT and a ~3.5 GPA. I was in the first interview group and had an acceptance very early.

The school is awesome in that they really take a holistic approach in looking at people. I believe the average stats actually went down with us--but I believe it's paying off. Our class of 2018 has been awesome--and many 2017ers have noted this to me.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I really like the school and have been impressed with the med students I've interacted with this far.

II today, my post yesterday must have been good luck! Very excited.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! When did you receive the "Application Ready for Review" email? I'm getting anxious :(
Thanks! I received my email on sept 2nd. Good luck, hopefully good news will be coming your way soon.

Thanks! I received my email on sept 2nd. Good luck, hopefully good news will be coming your way soon.

Same day I got mine. Crossing my fingers

just got a II today for here! I will be flying in from out of town. Any recommendations on where to fly into/where to stay/shuttles/car rental?

As I did last time,

I'm offering my spare room to the first person to message me. I live in Cascade Ridge which is across from the school.

Best of luck to all of you.

just got a II today for here! I will be flying in from out of town. Any recommendations on where to fly into/where to stay/shuttles/car rental?
flying into PDX is probably your best bet. I stayed at the Phoenix Inn in Albany, which is where the pizza social is held Friday evening before the interview, which i highly recommend attending as it's a great chance to talk to current students. They also offer a discounted rates for interviewing students. Check your email they sent you about the interview and it should have a list of places to stay and shuttle services, etc. I know the Phoenix Inn has a shuttle to and from PDX but I don't know for sure about getting to campus on interview day and don't know the rates. Renting a car is probably your easiest/most comfortable/ safest bet. Plus it will give you the chance to explore Portland and the area around Lebanon a little bit.

Got the II today as well, but I was on a plane back to Denver from DMU. I haven't figured out when I am going to interview yet, hopefully PNWU will let us know when they are going to interview and I can maximize my drive from Colorado. So a question to you current and past students do they have the pizza social on Wednesday before the Thursday interview too or is only on the Saturday interviews?

I just canceled my October 4th interview due to an acceptance elsewhere. I wish you all the best of luck during the remainder of this cycle!

3.89, low mcat at 27, recently complete. I'm hopeful for this school, I have heard nothing but great things and have had great interactions with the students and faculty I have met. Any thoughts on the mcat? I know I'm on the low end...

You're kidding right? There are plenty of students walking the halls that had much lower gpa and equivalent or slightly lower mcat.

Was wondering, other than the website and info .pdf previously mentioned, are there other resources people used to write the "Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school" essay. Beyond describing the curriculum, which is of course great, these resources are a bit vague.

Am specifically wondering if there are any research opportunities at this school, and if so do students get/have any time to participate in them?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Was wondering, other than the website and info .pdf previously mentioned, are there other resources people used to write the "Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school" essay. Beyond describing the curriculum, which is of course great, these resources are a bit vague.

Am specifically wondering if there are any research opportunities at this school, and if so do students get/have any time to participate in them?

thanks
You can also write about how you like a close knit community of the school and the students. I think this question is not all just about the academic of the school. You can also talk about if you like small town, pacific NW, non trad environment of the school, closeness to Portland / rotation site etc..

For those of you who got an interview did you get a confirmation email for your interview date. I am worried that something is wrong and I haven't received it yet. On top of that I have to get my airline ticket like today before prices sky rocket for a flight.

For those of you who got an interview did you get a confirmation email for your interview date. I am worried that something is wrong and I haven't received it yet. On top of that I have to get my airline ticket like today before prices sky rocket for a flight.
I received the conformation email immediately after they called to offer an interview.

Been awfully quiet here. Nobody has received any emails/letters regarding an acceptance yet?

thanks
Hm. This is a good question. If you are looking for research opportunities I am guessing you are an over-achiever...:)

thanks
The school has some great research opportunities, especially in Anatomy. At the interview, they were telling us that every summer the anatomy professor takes students to some research conference and his students last year won the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for their posters. Although the school is new, they are doing a lot of things to be progressive in their research.

The school has some great research opportunities, especially in Anatomy. At the interview, they were telling us that every summer the anatomy professor takes students to some research conference and his students last year won the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for their posters. Although the school is new, they are doing a lot of things to be progressive in their research.
Well I don't mean to pry BUT....When was your application completed? Stats? When did you receive your II invite? And how did it go? Sounds like you like the school...good luck! :)

Last edited:
just got an II for 10/23

Has anyone who interviewed on 9/6 heard anything from the school yet?

Has anyone who interviewed on 9/6 heard anything from the school yet?
Nope. I'm sure we'll hear this week. She said expect 10-15 days for a response at the interview, and it's been 16 days. At least I hope we do so I can stop frantically checking my mailbox every day.

So I spoke with someone from the school today who was visiting my university for a graduate school fair, and he told me that Jeannie has been on vacation for a week so the admissions notices have been pushed back by a week. So for anyone who is freaking out because they haven't heard anything yet, you can be at peace :)

So I spoke with someone from the school today who was visiting my university for a graduate school fair, and he told me that Jeannie has been on vacation for a week so the admissions notices have been pushed back by a week. So for anyone who is freaking out because they haven't heard anything yet, you can be at peace :)
Yeah that is what she said on my voice mail and to call the Pomona campus to schedule interviews but I have only been able to leave messages. I had to book my plane flight, so here is to hoping hat I got the day I wanted, next week.

Just got an II here earlier today! They offered October 4th and 24th, but I scheduled for November 15th due to conflicting interviews. Excited to check out this campus! :)

Hey all. Sorry if this was mentioned already, but is the regional preference strong? There are some statistics online but I'm not sure if they pertain to the Cali campus or this one. The demographics page shows that most people are either from California or attended undergrad there.

Hey all. Sorry if this was mentioned already, but is the regional preference strong? There are some statistics online but I'm not sure if they pertain to the Cali campus or this one. The demographics page shows that most people are either from California or attended undergrad there.
I wouldn't say "strong" as it would be for an in state public school, but 2 of their secondary questions definitely ask you to about why you are a good fit for the pacific NW and why good fit for Lebanon. So I'm guessing if you don't have good reasons for these questions, then they won't favor you heavily?

I wouldn't say "strong" as it would be for an in state public school, but 2 of their secondary questions definitely ask you to about why you are a good fit for the pacific NW and why good fit for Lebanon. So I'm guessing if you don't have good reasons for these questions, then they won't favor you heavily?

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I think you're right!

Have you looked at this PDF?

prospective.westernu.edu/assets/prospective/osteopathic-northwest/donw-fast-facts-2018ec.pdf

Really nice for them to have this :).

Have you looked at this PDF?

prospective.westernu.edu/assets/prospective/osteopathic-northwest/donw-fast-facts-2018ec.pdf

Really nice for them to have this :).

I haven't seen this! Thank you, this is really really helpful. Good luck in your studies!

Just got the II for 10/4! I was on hold for about 3 weeks. Yeeeeeee!

Last edited:
Received a phone call during class and had to ignore it. Listened to the voicemail afterwards and got an acceptance! Dr. Pham said they'll likely send out formal letters in the mail today.

Reactions: 6 users
Received a phone call during class and had to ignore it. Listened to the voicemail afterwards and got an acceptance! Dr. Pham said they'll likely send out formal letters in the mail today.
WOW congrats!!!! You're the first one I've seen for COMP-NW! Did you interview 9/6!?

ACCEPTED! :soexcited:
Congrats!!! Now comes the decision on our part. I still have 2 more interviews at schools I could potentially see myself at as well. This is going to be a tough decision :help:

Congrats!!! Now comes the decision on our part. I still have 2 more interviews at schools I could potentially see myself at as well. This is going to be a tough decision :help:
Congrats, choice is always good in life. I understand you completely, already been accepted at RVU and this school and PNWU are also top choices. Did you get any weird interview questions that threw you off a little or were they all typical interview questions?

Congrats, choice is always good in life. I understand you completely, already been accepted at RVU and this school and PNWU are also top choices. Did you get any weird interview questions that threw you off a little or were they all typical interview questions?
The panel interview at this school went really smoothly. It was the "conversation" of an interview everyone idealizes. The same can't be said for the MMI. I personally didn't feel mine went that well (got slightly awkward after 5 minutes of being in a room with someone), but it's good to know that it didn't tank my chances. On a side note, are you interviewing at PNWU 10/11? If so I'll see you there!

The panel interview at this school went really smoothly. It was the "conversation" of an interview everyone idealizes. The same can't be said for the MMI. I personally didn't feel mine went that well (got slightly awkward after 5 minutes of being in a room with someone), but it's good to know that it didn't tank my chances. On a side note, are you interviewing at PNWU 10/11? If so I'll see you there!

I second this completely! Panel was awesome, but felt like I completely messed up in the MMI. Although everyone felt like that afterward when I asked so don't trust that feeling haha. I'll be at PNWU on 10/18 or else I'd be joining you!

Accepted!! Interviewed 9/6. My stats are 3.66 cGPA, 3.69 sGPA, 31 MCAT(10/11/10). I was really impressed with this school, I mean really impressed :)

Reactions: 4 users
I second this completely! Panel was awesome, but felt like I completely messed up in the MMI. Although everyone felt like that afterward when I asked so don't trust that feeling haha. I'll be at PNWU on 10/18 or else I'd be joining you!
I am going to be at PNWU on 10/18. But thanks for the info on western. And bug123 see you in Yakima.

Just got the II for 10/4! I was on hold for about 3 weeks. Yeeeeeee!
Just got an II today, I got it later in the evening so I havent received a confirmation for my choice of 10/4. I was on hold for an interview as well. Can anyone tell me stats on this school? I know it is newer, I have a friend there and he likes it a lot. I just thought I would get more information about it before flying up. I am a little nervous that they sent an II a week before the actual interview. I hope I am competitive and not just filling an interview spot. Stats: SGPA: 3.4 CGPA: 3.7 MCAT: 26

Just got an II today, I got it later in the evening so I havent received a confirmation for my choice of 10/4. I was on hold for an interview as well. Can anyone tell me stats on this school? I know it is newer, I have a friend there and he likes it a lot. I just thought I would get more information about it before flying up. I am a little nervous that they sent an II a week before the actual interview. I hope I am competitive and not just filling an interview spot. Stats: SGPA: 3.4 CGPA: 3.7 MCAT: 26
Congrats! Where are you coming from? The only reason they gave me the close 10/4 date was because I'm from Portland Oregon. But I doubt that they are just filling interview spots, that would be a waste for both you and the school. I spoke with someone from the school at an event and he said that the school average is 28mcat and 3.6 GPA.

Congrats man! Now you can chillax during the UW interview :)

Congrats! Where are you coming from? The only reason they gave me the close 10/4 date was because I'm from Portland Oregon. But I doubt that they are just filling interview spots, that would be a waste for both you and the school. I spoke with someone from the school at an event and he said that the school average is 28mcat and 3.6 GPA.
I am in Utah. Not too far. Those stats seem pretty decent and competitive. For the spreadsheet quoted above, only interviewing 304 last year makes me seem pretty happy I made that cut.

I am in Utah. Not too far. Those stats seem pretty decent and competitive. For the spreadsheet quoted above, only interviewing 304 last year makes me seem pretty happy I made that cut.

Ya i saw that too! they definitely take the interview selection very seriously. Good luck to you, looking forward to our interview !

I got an interview invite yesterday for 10/4! The other date available was in November. Does anyone know if any nearby hotels have shuttles to the Portland airport and campus?