Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an interview invite yesterday for 10/4! The other date available was in November. Does anyone know if any nearby hotels have shuttles to the Portland airport and campus?
When do you arrive in Portland, I am getting in on the 3rd at 1:30pm and getting a car. I am also staying in Albany at the Phoenix Inn where the pizza social is being held on the 3rd. I could drive ya for gas money. PM if your interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interviewing on the 4th as well! I booked a room at the Phoenix Inn in Albany-I think they provide shuttle to the Albany local airport, but I'm pretty sure not to Portland. I rented a car to drive from portland. I'll be arriving in Portland around noon. If you are coming in close-ish to then I'd be happy to split drive costs with you and travel down there together.

Thanks. I'd love to split the costs if I was getting to Portland earlier. As it is, I'll be getting in around 4:30, just in time to drive down to Albany for the social.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps at all, I rented a car from PdX through costco travel and it's only going to be $30 for two days. You can find some pretty cheap deals out there

The panel interview at this school went really smoothly. It was the "conversation" of an interview everyone idealizes. The same can't be said for the MMI. I personally didn't feel mine went that well (got slightly awkward after 5 minutes of being in a room with someone), but it's good to know that it didn't tank my chances. On a side note, are you interviewing at PNWU 10/11? If so I'll see you there!
Hey I interviewed with you at COMP on 9/6 and I'll see you at PNWU on 10/11 xD

Accepted via phone call on 9/26!!!! Have nothing but good stuff to say about this school :love:Interviewed 9/6.

Reactions: 4 users
I got the email; interviewing on 11/15! This is amazing!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, what's the attire for the social on Friday evening? I'm assuming just casual?

Nice meeting you all, good luck tomorrow.

Just received my II the other day! Looks like I will be heading up to beautiful Oregon on November 15th to interview for this amazing school!

Anyone successfully sent thank you emails or letters to the interviewers? They didn't give us a list with contact info nor their own business cards. And I don't think they are faculty members of western either.

How should I go about this?

I asked Jess after the interview and she have me a card with the names and address of where to send cards. Probably just email the admissions office.

Way impressed with this school!! If I get accepted after the great interview, then I will have some difficult decisions to make :< But, decisions are always good to have :>

Nice to meet you all, and look forward to seeing some of you in a week or two in Yakima.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, I know this is kind of late, but I just sent in my application here (primary), I'll probably get the secondary in the next week or so. I wanted to get a head start on any essay questions and was wondering whether there is or isn't one.

Guys, I know this is kind of late, but I just sent in my application here (primary), I'll probably get the secondary in the next week or so. I wanted to get a head start on any essay questions and was wondering whether there is or isn't one.

Also interested to know if there are any essays. Sending in my DO application staggered intentionally, just got verified a few days ago.

Also interested to know if there are any essays. Sending in my DO application staggered intentionally, just got verified a few days ago.

1. While shadowing a Physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
2. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest?
3. Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.
4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.
5. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.

Each essay has 1650 character limit.

Just got the II for 10/4! I was on hold for about 3 weeks. Yeeeeeee!

Hi im just wondering if you did anything to get off hold, like did you send in an update letter or something? I have not heard from COMP-Northwest in 5 weeks but have received the second hold email from the Pomona campus and I wonder if there is anything I can do to get ii...thanks!!

Hi im just wondering if you did anything to get off hold, like did you send in an update letter or something? I have not heard from COMP-Northwest in 5 weeks but have received the second hold email from the Pomona campus and I wonder if there is anything I can do to get ii...thanks!!
I didn't submit any additional stuff after being placed on hold. I did call Jeannie Davis to get more info on what it means to be on hold and what the selection process would be like. At the end of the phone call, I expressed to her that I was very interested in the school(I'm OR resident). So maybe that helped...maybe not haha...

Wish you the best!

I didn't submit any additional stuff after being placed on hold. I did call Jeannie Davis to get more info on what it means to be on hold and what the selection process would be like. At the end of the phone call, I expressed to her that I was very interested in the school(I'm OR resident). So maybe that helped...maybe not haha...

Wish you the best!

how long after that phone call that you received an ii? Thanks a lot for the info!!!

how long after that phone call that you received an ii? Thanks a lot for the info!!!
About 2 weeks! If you haven't called Jeannie, you should just do it. It's nice to just call her and ask her some lingering questions and introduce yourself at the same time!

II, finally. I received a call yesterday from Lebanon, OR as i was driving from WVSOM to Pittsburgh to catch my flight. I pull over to the side of the road and the admissions rep explained to me that she had left me a voicemail on August 18 for an invite, WHAT!!!!!!!!! She wanted to know if i had decided on a date yet. I never received that VM, but ah well I gladly accepted an II for Dec 6. Just wish I had the opportunity to interview sooner. Not sure what happened with the VM but who cares, I got an II.

II today! I already have interviews scheduled for the dates they offered me... Flights and hotels booked already :/. Anyone know if you can call and request another date?

Edit. Rescheduled another interview. I'll be there 12/6!

Last edited:
II today! I already have interviews scheduled for the dates they offered me... Flights and hotels booked already :/. Anyone know if you can call and request another date?

Congrats! When were you complete??

I was complete 9/2.

I called Jeannie Davis and left a message on Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning I had an II.

Nice! What did you call about? I was complete about a month after you but I'd love to go here. Hoping for an II soon.

Nice! What did you call about? I was complete about a month after you but I'd love to go here. Hoping for an II soon.

I said that I wanted to inquire into the status of my application, that it had been over the time they quoted for a response, and that I wanted to make sure my application was still being processed. I spoke with Jeannie the next day. Like many current students have expressed, she is incredibly nice and helpful!

I had received a II from the Pomona campus about a week and a half prior, so I wanted to make sure nothing had changed for COMP-Northwest.

I have two questions. First is anyone who interviewed on the 4th hear anything yet? I thought they mentioned they were meeting last Thursday but maybe it was today.

Second is for current students, just thinking I missed the info during the day but what percentage of lectures are through video conference?

I have two questions. First is anyone who interviewed on the 4th hear anything yet? I thought they mentioned they were meeting last Thursday but maybe it was today.

Second is for current students, just thinking I missed the info during the day but what percentage of lectures are through video conference?
Havent heard anything yet...

Has anyone heard anything from the interview on the 4th?

Accepted!! I am beyond excited to start at my dream school in the summer. Wow, just an amazing feeling!!!

Just received the call saying I was accepted!

I heard that people who got rejected got an email yesterday so there is hope yet. I would like to have the option to choose between COMP-NW, RVU, and maybe PNWU (depending how the iterview goes tomorrow). I know the wife is leaning towards my acceptance here!!

Accepted as well!! Top choice school. I am beyond euphoric.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call from Dr. Pham...accepted!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to those accepted!!! Would you mind giving stats and whether you were in-region or out of NW-region? Thanks and congratulations again!!!!

Does anyone know if WesternU asks in the secondary if we've ever had any traffic violations? I didn't even realize that some schools ask that, as I always assumed that they were asking about felonies or misdemeanors.

Does anyone know if WesternU asks in the secondary if we've ever had any traffic violations? I didn't even realize that some schools ask that, as I always assumed that they were asking about felonies or misdemeanors.

They do not. The only application I had which asked for traffic violations was University of Vermont, and it had to have been within the past 5 years.

II today! First one so far :) For those of you wondering, the current interview dates available are Sat, Nov 15th and Thursday, Dec 4th. They only do Thursday and Saturday interviews. It's a combination MMI and traditional panel--not sure what to expect from that, but very excited!

II today! First one so far :) For those of you wondering, the current interview dates available are Sat, Nov 15th and Thursday, Dec 4th. They only do Thursday and Saturday interviews. It's a combination MMI and traditional panel--not sure what to expect from that, but very excited!
Hey, congrats! What were your stats and when were you complete?

Talked to Jeanie Davis today and for those of us that interviewed on October 4th decisions were mailed out yesterday. Some people got calls but they had to stop because of a computer problem...so don't freak out like me if you haven't heard anything.

Hi all current students,

Can you guys talk about how lecture is? I heard that a lot of it is streamed. What do you guys think of it? How is the streaming experience in the lecture hall? What's the ratio of live:streamed lectures? How do office hours work? Are there office hours on campus at anytime?

Sorry for the string of questions. But thanks in advance!

Is there a facebook group for those accepted?

Hi jsmith522,
Thanks a lot for the info. I also called Jeannie a few times but they all ended up in her voicemail.
Some questions though:
1. Did she tell you about their decision on you? Like acceptance or not?
2. Will they make any phone calls again, given that their computers get fixed? Or they would just let us know by mail?
3. Did they make the phone calls in alphabetical order?
4. They already emailed those who got rejected right? So that decision won't come in the mail?
Sorry about those questions thrown at you, but I also freaked out during the past weekend for not hearing back from them at all.
Thanks a lot.

Hi jsmith522,
Thanks a lot for the info. I also called Jeannie a few times but they all ended up in her voicemail.
Some questions though:
1. Did she tell you about their decision on you? Like acceptance or not?
2. Will they make any phone calls again, given that their computers get fixed? Or they would just let us know by mail?
3. Did they make the phone calls in alphabetical order?
4. They already emailed those who got rejected right? So that decision won't come in the mail?
Sorry about those questions thrown at you, but I also freaked out during the past weekend for ns RVU (which I have an acceptance) and PNWU. These were my top three schools and I would like to have an opperot hearing back from them at all.
Thanks a lot.
She wouldn't tell me a decision about me or if they will continue to make phone calls. All she would say is that all the information that we need to know is in our packet that is in the mail. She did say once we get that packet if we have questions to call back but until then she couldn't go any further. Makes me feel like I was either rejected or waitlisted. But, I also heard from people at my interview at PNWU that I interviewed with here got rejection emails last thursday. I liked this school a lot and have a running tally for and against this school verses RVU (which I have been accepted to) and PNWU. I would really like and try to get a definitive choice between my top 3 schools and find the school that best fits me and my family. Hope that helps everyone.

Thanks a lot jsmith522. Don't know what to do now except waiting lol. Hopefully good news for both of us.I know western rejects people through email so if you get something in the mail at this point, it is either acceptance or alternative list. Does she specifically say that the mail comes as a packet? B/c I don't think they will waste a packet just to tell people that they are wait listed. Or maybe I can be wrong.

Last edited:
Is there a facebook group for those accepted?
As far as I know, there is no group for the class of 2019! I wish I had kept in touch with some people from the interview to see if they were accepted. Everyone I met during the pizza social and interview were really nice and would be great classmates. Congrats again to those who got the phone call. For those of you waiting for the mail, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Got my waitlisted paper in the mail today haha.....interviewed 10/4.

I guess no phone call means bad news...? Prove me wrong guys!!

Last edited:
Got my waitlisted paper in the mail today haha.....interviewed 10/4.

I guess no phone call means bad news...? Prove me wrong guys!!
Where are you from? State-wise? I cant help but starting to think that no phone call does mean bad news, as in no acceptance. lol