Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No packet in the mail, just an envelope. Alternate…. "Computer problems," huh? No phone call, no acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you feel the interview went for y'all?

Just got my letter too. I thought that the interview went really well. The physician that brought me back to the interview came out afterwards and told me personally that I killed it. He said that he was more then impressed with how I did. But, what killed me, at least I think, was that I am not specifically from the NW. I also have less then stellar stats, 3.2 sGPA and cGPA, with a 27 MCAT. I liked the school and would like to have had a choice. But with one less school, that makes my choice that much easier. Know I am just waiting on PNWU decision. Although they have meet and decided on all of us at PNWU we are just waiting for the Dean to certify the list. I liked meeting all of you and the school was a great school. I guess what it really means is that COMP-NW and I are not a match.........As I was writing this got my acceptance from PNWU. Now comes the hard choice RVU vs PNWU.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you feel the interview went for y'all?
I thought it went fine also. Probably my grades..3.5/26. Oh well. This doesn't hurt as bad cuz I already have other offers...but it would have been nice to see an Oregonian being accepted!

Hi all current students,

Can you guys talk about how lecture is? I heard that a lot of it is streamed. What do you guys think of it? How is the streaming experience in the lecture hall? What's the ratio of live:streamed lectures? How do office hours work? Are there office hours on campus at anytime?

Sorry for the string of questions. But thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm a first-year and not quite 3 months in yet, but I will fill you in so far. Anatomy lectures are probably close to 60% streamed. Essentials of Clinical Medicine we streamed one day. It was kind of a welcome/overview of the course. OMM we have streamed a few times in the first few weeks for the lecture portion of the class, but there are always faculty, fellows, and 2nd year TAs in the lab. This course has been taught live for quite a while now. Interprofessional Education is not streamed, and Physician and Society is almost entirely from Lebanon.

Once lecture starts, I personally don't think it matters if it is streamed or not. You have a screen with the power point and a screen with the lecturer. You will be trying to keep up with the material, and most people are more focused on the slides anyways. There is usually a time for questions at the end, and both campuses have mics. If you want to ask privately, there is a direct phone line to the podium in Pomona, email or discussion boards. There is always a faculty member present in the lecture as well. Finally, even if the lecture comes from Pomona, the Lebanon professors are equally qualified to help you through the material outside of class. I was really concerned about the streaming lectures, but they are not an issue at all. When watching the lectures at home we have the same view as in class, lecturer and power point. The power point tracks with the video so you can sit back and watch.

"Office hours" are amazing. I just left the anatomy lab at 10:30p and three professors were in there helping students, one being the vice chair of the department. Instructors are here most of the day and if they are not busy, they'll help you. Dr. Benninger (who's face you will see as a contributor to Netter's atlas inside the cover) holds smaller group sessions most nights of the week. In short, if you need one-on-one assistance they are usually available, they tend to work with small groups (2-8) in the evenings, and are obviously available during dissection. The students that completed the ISAC course hold tutorials daily as well until Head and Neck and are quite valuable when you have questions.

This is my first time on here since I was in your shoes last year so if I missed any "current student" questions or you have more, let me know. I will try to check again in the next few days, but we have an exam on Monday so no guarantees. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my letter too. I thought that the interview went really well. The physician that brought me back to the interview came out afterwards and told me personally that I killed it. He said that he was more then impressed with how I did. But, what killed me, at least I think, was that I am not specifically from the NW. I also have less then stellar stats, 3.2 sGPA and cGPA, with a 27 MCAT. I liked the school and would like to have had a choice. But with one less school, that makes my choice that much easier. Know I am just waiting on PNWU decision. Although they have meet and decided on all of us at PNWU we are just waiting for the Dean to certify the list. I liked meeting all of you and the school was a great school. I guess what it really means is that COMP-NW and I are not a match.........As I was writing this got my acceptance from PNWU. Now comes the hard choice RVU vs PNWU.

Good attitude. The waiting list acceptance could be extensive if you're still gonna wait out for that. At the end of the day, you will/ did make it. Congratulations on your other acceptances :)

Hi, I'm a first-year and not quite 3 months in yet, but I will fill you in so far. Anatomy lectures are probably close to 60% streamed. Essentials of Clinical Medicine we streamed one day. It was kind of a welcome/overview of the course. OMM we have streamed a few times in the first few weeks for the lecture portion of the class, but there are always faculty, fellows, and 2nd year TAs in the lab. This course has been taught live for quite a while now. Interprofessional Education is not streamed, and Physician and Society is almost entirely from Lebanon.

Once lecture starts, I personally don't think it matters if it is streamed or not. You have a screen with the power point and a screen with the lecturer. You will be trying to keep up with the material, and most people are more focused on the slides anyways. There is usually a time for questions at the end, and both campuses have mics. If you want to ask privately, there is a direct phone line to the podium in Pomona, email or discussion boards. There is always a faculty member present in the lecture as well. Finally, even if the lecture comes from Pomona, the Lebanon professors are equally qualified to help you through the material outside of class. I was really concerned about the streaming lectures, but they are not an issue at all. When watching the lectures at home we have the same view as in class, lecturer and power point. The power point tracks with the video so you can sit back and watch.

"Office hours" are amazing. I just left the anatomy lab at 10:30p and three professors were in there helping students, one being the vice chair of the department. Instructors are here most of the day and if they are not busy, they'll help you. Dr. Benninger (who's face you will see as a contributor to Netter's atlas inside the cover) holds smaller group sessions most nights of the week. In short, if you need one-on-one assistance they are usually available, they tend to work with small groups (2-8) in the evenings, and are obviously available during dissection. The students that completed the ISAC course hold tutorials daily as well until Head and Neck and are quite valuable when you have questions.

This is my first time on here since I was in your shoes last year so if I missed any "current student" questions or you have more, let me know. I will try to check again in the next few days, but we have an exam on Monday so no guarantees. Good luck everyone!

Thank you for the detailed answer! Good luck on your exam! It must be such a treat to have an editor for Netter's on faculty!

Hey all! Interviewed here on 10/23, but pretty sure I bombed it. Probably a waitlist at best for me here. This is my home school too, so it really stings. Best of luck to those who have already been accepted!

Hey all! Interviewed here on 10/23, but pretty sure I bombed it. Probably a waitlist at best for me here. This is my home school too, so it really stings. Best of luck to those who have already been accepted!
What makes you say that? Don't lose hope my friend. You never know what will happen especially being your home school. Good luck on the rest of the cycle.

Last edited:
hello everyone. In state applicant here. Just submitted my secondary application. Anyone know how long it usually takes to receive an interview invite after completion of the secondary? Thanks!

hello everyone. In state applicant here. Just submitted my secondary application. Anyone know how long it usually takes to receive an interview invite after completion of the secondary? Thanks!
I received an II about 4 weeks after I was complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be interviewing on 11/15 and landing in PDX airport on the 14th at around 1:30pm if anyone would like to share a car ride to Lebanon near the school. Still deciding on a hotel but definitely something close to the school.

Hope everyone does great :D

Last edited:
Ok, so, for those accepted...or current students; can anyone tell me where the majority of students live? I am married (no kids, but I have a dog). I thought about being in Corvallis for my wife to get a job and have a little larger city to hang out in while I am in Lebanon. I felt like a few students did the commute when I interviewed and some even from Portland. Can anyone comment on best places/good apartments with other students so my wife will make friends :). Also, anyone from BYU or the Utah area been accepted here? If so, PM me!

Just withdrew my interview so there's an open spot on 11/15 now. Good luck to all :)

Reactions: 2 users
Current students (@EODWalt if you could!)

What is the yearly budget for you guys? Do you guys have to buy books for the courses or do they provide notes? Supplies? Looking on the website, it seems like 1st and 2nd year students have to pay tuition along with a separate OMM tuition.

Thanks and hope your test went well!

Last edited:
Received a complete email yesterday (10/28) and then an II a few minutes later! I submitted my secondary on 10/11. Non trad, 3.8+ cGPA and sGPA, 26-28 mcat, east coast resident. I was given the option to choose between a date in January and February.

Very grateful for this opportunity. Hope my residency and late interview aren't too much of a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 users
Current students (@EODWalt if you could!)

What is the yearly budget for you guys? Do you guys have to buy books for the courses or do they provide notes? Supplies? Looking on the website, it seems like 1st and 2nd year students have to pay tuition along with a separate OMM tuition.

Thanks and hope your test went well!
I'm a horrible person to answer this since I am probably not on top of my finances as well as I should be. We get $72k dispersed half in August, half in January. There are "required" and recommended texts, but many people don't buy any texts (other than Netter's - I think everyone bought that). The budget includes all of the required books and accessories like a $70 clicker. I've bought all of my books, clickers, and other academic resources on Amazon. Powerpoints are provided prior to each lecture along with notes or study guides typically. I have not paid that much attention to the billing, so I can't answer the OMM part. I was concerned about the cost to attend here, but discovered two things. First, most schools aren't completely upfront with how much you will need to borrow. For instance, what OHSU says you will need to borrow each year is half of what most OHSU students I met actually borrow per year. Second, the "pay as you earn" and public service loan repayment programs help your loans disappear without requiring you to work in primary care.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-driven

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/public-service

Hope this helps a little even though I danced around your questions.

Ok, so, for those accepted...or current students; can anyone tell me where the majority of students live? I am married (no kids, but I have a dog). I thought about being in Corvallis for my wife to get a job and have a little larger city to hang out in while I am in Lebanon. I felt like a few students did the commute when I interviewed and some even from Portland. Can anyone comment on best places/good apartments with other students so my wife will make friends :). Also, anyone from BYU or the Utah area been accepted here? If so, PM me!

The following numbers all estimates I'm making of my class (2018) -
4/5 live in Lebanon, 10ish students in Albany, 2-3 in Corvallis, 1 in Sweet Home
I have not heard any complaints from those in Lebanon or Albany
Corvallis students like it, but they are already tired of the commute.
There were 2 students from my class who carpooled from Salem and studied together. One moved to Lebanon.
There is at least one student from my class and I believe a 2017 student that live in Portland. During anatomy she had to be here most days, but after anatomy there are usually only 2-3 days per week that require being on campus.

Now for my sales pitch...Live in Lebanon. Most of the people who you will be hanging out with will live here. You can run home for lunch, if you forget you white coat, or if you need a quick nap. You can easily go to Corvallis, Albany, or elsewhere for fun, but when you live in Lebanon, you have to at least think about it first. Personally, most of the time I decide that I don't need to waste the time or money, but sometimes I really do need a break and to get away. In those times, it is nice to leave and close enough. In anatomy you will see "Dr. Benninger is holding a tutorial in 5 mins" on your class' facebook page regularly. I can be there in 3 from my house. Where to live was a big question for my class as well, but there are students I have talked to from Seattle, San Antonio, California, and Salt Lake that enjoy living in Lebanon. Plus, it's way cheaper!

I was waitlisted at Western Pomona, which is probably my number one school. That said, I'd be more than happy going almost anywhere...would it be bad to apply here now as a back up? Would that reflect poorly/do the admission offices talk?

I was waitlisted at Western Pomona, which is probably my number one school. That said, I'd be more than happy going almost anywhere...would it be bad to apply here now as a back up? Would that reflect poorly/do the admission offices talk?
Seeing as how it's the same dean that makes admissions decisions at both schools, they can see your action at either campus. It wouldn't necessarily be bad that you're using Lebanon as a "backup", but more so that it's so late to just now be applying. Also consider what would be different about you applying here vs Pomona? What has changed?

So I'm an alternate as of 10/24 and I don't really want to submit a letter of intent until I have the rest of my responses, which should be around Thanksgiving. Is there a common belief as to when a letter of intent should be sent? i.e. does it need to be right away or does it matter if it's a month from now?

Hi all!

I have been lurking for a while but thought I'd make some movement. Good news tonight! Dr. Pham called several hours ago and I got ACCEPTED! I cannot wait to start and meet everyone!

Primary submitted in June. Secondary 7/14. II 10/23.

Reactions: 6 users
Could anyone provide any insight into ISAC that is offered in the summertime?

Last edited:
So excited for my upcoming interview on the 15th! Who else is going to be there??

Hi all!

I have been lurking for a while but thought I'd make some movement. Good news tonight! Dr. Pham called several hours ago and I got ACCEPTED! I cannot wait to start and meet everyone!

Primary submitted in June. Secondary 7/14. II 10/23.

Congratulations! I also received a phone call from Dr. Pham with the great news. Will you be matriculating come next fall?

For others who have been accepted, is there a Facebook group yet? It would be nice to begin networking and setting up the living details for next year.

Congratulations! I also received a phone call from Dr. Pham with the great news. Will you be matriculating come next fall?

For others who have been accepted, is there a Facebook group yet? It would be nice to begin networking and setting up the living details for next year.

Congratulations to you as well! I am definitely planning on matriculating next fall. It is my number one choice and I was ecstatic when I received the phone call. Will you be matriculating as well?

I have not seen a Facebook group posted anywhere but I did not want to create one just in case there was already one floating around. So perhaps after a few days, and there is no response, I will make one!

Could anyone provide any insight into ISAC that is offered in the summertime?
*sorry my posts are always ridiculously long! I'm trying to answer thoroughly and get carried away. :)

Hey! I didn't do ISAC, but I think it is a great program. You apply early and the school selects 16 (I think) students who will take anatomy starting in June. You will do all but Head & Neck in 6 (or 8) weeks over the summer. I believe it is 6 weeks because the rest of the class does the first three sections (back/upper limb, thorax/abdomen, pelvis/lower limb) in 8 weeks, and I think ISAC is accelerated. Although it is a little faster, you don't have any of the other classes during the summer that you will have if you start with the rest of the class. Once the rest of the class starts, ISAC students are a tremendous resource! I'm not sure how the tasks are split up (volunteer or assignments), but ISAC students hold tutorials. During dissection, anatomy students come out of the lab in groups and rotate through 3-4 tutorials help by ISACers that last 5-10 minutes. These are high-yield or difficult subjects and ultrasound techniques. I think most ISAC students had to present one topic per week, but you will have already covered the material in the summer so it is just review and putting together a short presentation. As you present these topics throughout the course, you will be reinforcing what you learned over the summer, whereas the rest of won't see the material again until systems. Huge advantage when it comes to boards!

This is the part where I am not so sure about commitment vs volunteering. I THINK that ISAC students give ~5 hrs of tutoring per week, and every student has a different approach. One student would hold small group (6-8 students) sessions where he would go around the room asking high-yield question from the beginning of the current section to the present and explain any unanswered questions. Some had one-on-one sessions. A few would hold large group (20-30) tutorials at lunch or in the evening on specific, difficult topics like the brachial plexus or arteries of the thorax. Judging by the personality types of the students that gave certain tutorials, I am sure you get to choose what sort of tutoring you want to offer. I had never used a tutor in undergrad, but I tried to jump in on any available sessions here. I don't know anyone who hasn't spent time at tutorials, because the ISAC students as well as second years are such a valuable resource, if for no other reason than organizing all the material that is being thrown at you. Sorry, it appears I've gotten off track. Summary: start earlier, accelerated, reinforcing your knowledge.

I did not do ISAC because I finished undergrad June 13th and the first day was June 16th. I have a family and wanted to spend time with them and not be rushed in getting settled in here. Conversely, the first three months of med school would obviously be less demanding if you do ISAC. Sorry I don't have concrete specifics on the exact details. If you have more questions, ask and I will run down an ISACer and ask them! Also, Jeannie Davis is super cool so don't be afraid to ask her as well.

Can anyone comment on the quality of this school's clerkship rotations (@EODWalt maybe)? I'm likely going to have to choose whether to put my deposit down at this school or PNWU if I don't hear back from UW by mid-December. I'm from the Yakima area, which is making it considerably harder to choose Western > PNWU. I feel like I did like the school better when I interviewed here, but that could have just been because it was my first interview. I guess I'm concerned more with the quality of clerkships since it seems that the book education is similar no matter where you go. I'm thinking that I would have more opportunities in Yakima vs. Lebanon for rotations, but would anyone like to speak on Western's behalf? I guess I just want to kind of talk over my options before I make this big decision :) I really loved this school when I interviewed here and I'm having a hard time turning it down.

*sorry my posts are always ridiculously long! I'm trying to answer thoroughly and get carried away. :)

Hey! I didn't do ISAC, but I think it is a great program. You apply early and the school selects 16 (I think) students who will take anatomy starting in June. You will do all but Head & Neck in 6 (or 8) weeks over the summer. I believe it is 6 weeks because the rest of the class does the first three sections (back/upper limb, thorax/abdomen, pelvis/lower limb) in 8 weeks, and I think ISAC is accelerated. Although it is a little faster, you don't have any of the other classes during the summer that you will have if you start with the rest of the class. Once the rest of the class starts, ISAC students are a tremendous resource! I'm not sure how the tasks are split up (volunteer or assignments), but ISAC students hold tutorials. During dissection, anatomy students come out of the lab in groups and rotate through 3-4 tutorials help by ISACers that last 5-10 minutes. These are high-yield or difficult subjects and ultrasound techniques. I think most ISAC students had to present one topic per week, but you will have already covered the material in the summer so it is just review and putting together a short presentation. As you present these topics throughout the course, you will be reinforcing what you learned over the summer, whereas the rest of won't see the material again until systems. Huge advantage when it comes to boards!

This is the part where I am not so sure about commitment vs volunteering. I THINK that ISAC students give ~5 hrs of tutoring per week, and every student has a different approach. One student would hold small group (6-8 students) sessions where he would go around the room asking high-yield question from the beginning of the current section to the present and explain any unanswered questions. Some had one-on-one sessions. A few would hold large group (20-30) tutorials at lunch or in the evening on specific, difficult topics like the brachial plexus or arteries of the thorax. Judging by the personality types of the students that gave certain tutorials, I am sure you get to choose what sort of tutoring you want to offer. I had never used a tutor in undergrad, but I tried to jump in on any available sessions here. I don't know anyone who hasn't spent time at tutorials, because the ISAC students as well as second years are such a valuable resource, if for no other reason than organizing all the material that is being thrown at you. Sorry, it appears I've gotten off track. Summary: start earlier, accelerated, reinforcing your knowledge.

I did not do ISAC because I finished undergrad June 13th and the first day was June 16th. I have a family and wanted to spend time with them and not be rushed in getting settled in here. Conversely, the first three months of med school would obviously be less demanding if you do ISAC. Sorry I don't have concrete specifics on the exact details. If you have more questions, ask and I will run down an ISACer and ask them! Also, Jeannie Davis is super cool so don't be afraid to ask her as well.

Thank you so much for your reply! I have not had any coursework in anatomy and thought this would be a good head start for me to get back into studying (since I have been out for a few years). I already contacted Jeannie and was put on the list.

Do you or any others perhaps know how competitive it is and what factors go into the selection of the ISAC students?

Can anyone comment on the quality of this school's clerkship rotations (@EODWalt maybe)? I'm likely going to have to choose whether to put my deposit down at this school or PNWU if I don't hear back from UW by mid-December. I'm from the Yakima area, which is making it considerably harder to choose Western > PNWU. I feel like I did like the school better when I interviewed here, but that could have just been because it was my first interview. I guess I'm concerned more with the quality of clerkships since it seems that the book education is similar no matter where you go. I'm thinking that I would have more opportunities in Yakima vs. Lebanon for rotations, but would anyone like to speak on Western's behalf? I guess I just want to kind of talk over my options before I make this big decision :) I really loved this school when I interviewed here and I'm having a hard time turning it down.

From what I have read most osteopathic schools struggle with clinical rotations and is a important factor to consider for those interested in more competitive specialties. What makes you say PNWU would have better rotations than COMP-NW?

Congratulations to you as well! I am definitely planning on matriculating next fall. It is my number one choice and I was ecstatic when I received the phone call. Will you be matriculating as well?

I have not seen a Facebook group posted anywhere but I did not want to create one just in case there was already one floating around. So perhaps after a few days, and there is no response, I will make one!

I'm pretty certain I will matriculate at COMP-NW, I am just waiting on two other schools. I will certainly be putting a deposit down because I don't anticipate hearing from the other schools in time.

I would definitely encourage you to make a group, it would be nice to start networking now. Perhaps it'll push me to commit to COMP-NW 100%...

From what I have read most osteopathic schools struggle with clinical rotations and is a important factor to consider for those interested in more competitive specialties. What makes you say PNWU would have better rotations than COMP-NW?

I'm pretty certain I will matriculate at COMP-NW, I am just waiting on two other schools. I will certainly be putting a deposit down because I don't anticipate hearing from the other schools in time.

I would definitely encourage you to make a group, it would be nice to start networking now. Perhaps it'll push me to commit to COMP-NW 100%...
I was kind of thinking more so that PNWU is in a bigger area (plus I'm from there and know more people). However, now that I think about it, maybe Western has a better base of relationships with hospitals (seeing as it's been around longer).

I'm not sure how competitive the ISAC program is to get into. I don't think they have ever had a problem filling the slots, but I have also never heard anyone complain about not getting in.

As far as rotations go, I cannot help a whole lot there, but I will give you what I know. There are around 30 slots for rotations that stay in the Lebanon, Corvallis, Albany area. There are quite a few rotations in Portland also. I believe the rest of the locations take around 2-10 students and are scattered around the state. each location has a predetermined number of students they will take, but it varies from site to site. If you are familiar with Oregon, some of the locations include Medford, Bend, Roseburg, McMinnville, Astoria, and Salem. I believe there are a few slots in Tacoma, Washington as well, but don't quote me on that. Doesn't PNWU have slots ranging from Montana to Alaska? I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading that last year, and that was why I canceled my interview up there. Maybe they secured more clinical sites this year.

For those of you who have already interviewed, what time did the days events typically end?

I'm not sure how competitive the ISAC program is to get into. I don't think they have ever had a problem filling the slots, but I have also never heard anyone complain about not getting in.

As far as rotations go, I cannot help a whole lot there, but I will give you what I know. There are around 30 slots for rotations that stay in the Lebanon, Corvallis, Albany area. There are quite a few rotations in Portland also. I believe the rest of the locations take around 2-10 students and are scattered around the state. each location has a predetermined number of students they will take, but it varies from site to site. If you are familiar with Oregon, some of the locations include Medford, Bend, Roseburg, McMinnville, Astoria, and Salem. I believe there are a few slots in Tacoma, Washington as well, but don't quote me on that. Doesn't PNWU have slots ranging from Montana to Alaska? I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading that last year, and that was why I canceled my interview up there. Maybe they secured more clinical sites this year.
Yeah I think PNWU does have the option to go across those states. It was my understanding that for most places, you would relocate to a site that contains all of your core rotations within a reasonable distance (to avoid moving around every month). I guess I'm just more so concerned with the quality of the rotations. Being from Yakima, Western would have to have superior quality of rotations for me to go there. I guess I'm just wondering if the quality of my education will be different between the two, because if not, I would prefer to be closer to home.

Yeah I think PNWU does have the option to go across those states. It was my understanding that for most places, you would relocate to a site that contains all of your core rotations within a reasonable distance (to avoid moving around every month). I guess I'm just more so concerned with the quality of the rotations. Being from Yakima, Western would have to have superior quality of rotations for me to go there. I guess I'm just wondering if the quality of my education will be different between the two, because if not, I would prefer to be closer to home.
I thought that COMP-NW had better rotation sites. Further during my interview at PNWU they said that rotations were chosen first by your birth place, then high school location, then collage location. So for me that would mean the closest rotation site to where I grew up was in Blackfoot,ID or where I first went to school in Anchorage,AK. They definitely were not high on my places I wanted to do my rotations. For you that might mean that you stay in Yakima, which could be bad or good depending how you look at it. Looking ahead I think that COMP-NW has built such good relationships that I would like to do my residencies in the Corvallis. But that is just my 2cents.

Is there a facebook group yet? I'd like to meet some of you fine people that I will possibly be spending tons of time with over the next few years...

To all those who are accepted, congrats!!! How long after your interview did it take to hear about being accepted?

To all those who are accepted, congrats!!! How long after your interview did it take to hear about being accepted?

Two weeks, I haven't received a letter in the mail yet. How long after we receive the phone call till y'all received those?

Is there a facebook group yet? I'd like to meet some of you fine people that I will possibly be spending tons of time with over the next few years...

There is not, you are welcome to create it though!

I'm a second year getting ready to choose my rotation site so I thought I could give an answer(my opinion) to this topic and my decision came down between COMP-NW and PNWU as my top 2. First off, don't discount the pre-clinical years completely. A huge draw to Western for me was the block-systems based schedule, I knew I would be better set-up to succeed with having one core class to focus on a time instead of multiple subjects. The way the systems are set up is amazing, learning the anatomy,physiology, pharm, path and clinical information integrated rather than separate courses in each that may be more disjointed.
But since you asked about the rotations, I should probably tok about those. As Walt said, there are about 30 rotation slots in the corvallis/Lebanon area and include some time on the coast if that suits your fancy. There are about 45 in Portland and that's where the majority are but there are other slots in Bend, Medford, Roseburg, Tacoma, Astoria, TIllamook, Mcminnville, Salem, and there may be another site I'm missing but I think thats most of them. For most of the sites they have it set up to be in that area for the whole time except for a few exceptions, if you are in the TIllamook/Astoria sites I know there are a couple rotations unavailable there and most students go to Portland for those. Also, almost all of the psych rotations are currently in Corvallis but that's something the clinical education department is busting their tails to improve, opening up more rotation opportunities on a regular basis. From my friends that are currently in their third year, they have not had any problems and said the school does a great job working with them to get rotations that fit well and working out the details. Something that definitely played a factor for me when deciding between the two schools was the fact that WesternU has had established rotations in the NW since 2007, the fact the PNWU class size was doubling when I had heard some of their rotations were having troubles (specifically in Portland, but this may have just been a disgruntled student kvetching on SDN). The biggest factor was the community I felt at the school and I just had to go with my gut that when I was at COMP-NW it felt right and I knew was where I wanted to be for my medical education. Our staff and administration absolutely rock, listen to us and support us 110%. Our dean helped get money together for about 70 students from our campus and another 60 from Pomona up to Seattle for the OMED conference, getting a bus and hotel rooms for us up there to support our school and give us an amazing learning and network (and fun) opportunity. To me, that says a lot about what this school is about and how dedicated the whole school is to prepare us to be the best doctors possible.

I know I just posted a suuuuuper long comment but I would like to throw myself out as a resource for anyone who was wait listed here yet feels like this is where they want to be for med school. I was wait listed here and while I had other opportunities for school, truly felt that this was where I wanted to go and went for it. Call up Jeannie Davis and she will be happy to let you know what you could do to improve your application, send in a letter of intent, and continue to let them know that you're committed. They are actually pretty selective about who they accept and wait list so quite a few students in my 2017 class were also wait listed and obviously made it in. If you have any questions about the wait list process, or if anyone has any questions about the school, I'd be happy to answer them

I'm a second year getting ready to choose my rotation site so I thought I could give an answer(my opinion) to this topic and my decision came down between COMP-NW and PNWU as my top 2. First off, don't discount the pre-clinical years completely. A huge draw to Western for me was the block-systems based schedule, I knew I would be better set-up to succeed with having one core class to focus on a time instead of multiple subjects. The way the systems are set up is amazing, learning the anatomy,physiology, pharm, path and clinical information integrated rather than separate courses in each that may be more disjointed.
But since you asked about the rotations, I should probably tok about those. As Walt said, there are about 30 rotation slots in the corvallis/Lebanon area and include some time on the coast if that suits your fancy. There are about 45 in Portland and that's where the majority are but there are other slots in Bend, Medford, Roseburg, Tacoma, Astoria, TIllamook, Mcminnville, Salem, and there may be another site I'm missing but I think thats most of them. For most of the sites they have it set up to be in that area for the whole time except for a few exceptions, if you are in the TIllamook/Astoria sites I know there are a couple rotations unavailable there and most students go to Portland for those. Also, almost all of the psych rotations are currently in Corvallis but that's something the clinical education department is busting their tails to improve, opening up more rotation opportunities on a regular basis. From my friends that are currently in their third year, they have not had any problems and said the school does a great job working with them to get rotations that fit well and working out the details. Something that definitely played a factor for me when deciding between the two schools was the fact that WesternU has had established rotations in the NW since 2007, the fact the PNWU class size was doubling when I had heard some of their rotations were having troubles (specifically in Portland, but this may have just been a disgruntled student kvetching on SDN). The biggest factor was the community I felt at the school and I just had to go with my gut that when I was at COMP-NW it felt right and I knew was where I wanted to be for my medical education. Our staff and administration absolutely rock, listen to us and support us 110%. Our dean helped get money together for about 70 students from our campus and another 60 from Pomona up to Seattle for the OMED conference, getting a bus and hotel rooms for us up there to support our school and give us an amazing learning and network (and fun) opportunity. To me, that says a lot about what this school is about and how dedicated the whole school is to prepare us to be the best doctors possible.

Thank you for the in depth write up on rotations! The clinical rotations are an area prospective students have typically glazed over but recently there has been a lot of talk about how poorly certain osteopathic schools are handling rotations which has caused us to pay a bit more attention. If a student wanted to be placed lets say in Portland, how difficult is it to secure one of those 45 slots? What is the selection process like?

Would you also be willing to talk about the exposure, if any, that 1st/2nd year students have to patients? I know a few schools have students shadow community primary care physicians or work weekly in a campus clinic, are those opportunities available at COMP-NW? I do know about the Global Health clinic but that seems to only be once a year because of the strong interest in it.

Thank you!

Thank you for the in depth write up on rotations! The clinical rotations are an area prospective students have typically glazed over but recently there has been a lot of talk about how poorly certain osteopathic schools are handling rotations which has caused us to pay a bit more attention. If a student wanted to be placed lets say in Portland, how difficult is it to secure one of those 45 slots? What is the selection process like?

Would you also be willing to talk about the exposure, if any, that 1st/2nd year students have to patients? I know a few schools have students shadow community primary care physicians or work weekly in a campus clinic, are those opportunities available at COMP-NW? I do know about the Global Health clinic but that seems to only be once a year because of the strong interest in it.

Thank you!
So the great thing about Portland (where I think I want to go but still have month to decide) is that it has enough slots for almost half the class. One of the things that the classes before us have done and we are continuing is a "mock lottery," essentially a google doc where people can list there top choices for slots and why and then we're going to have meetings with the people that want the different sites that can again talk about their reasonings and work something out. Using a google doc last year, all but one student got their first choice for rotation (and that 1 student got their second). Hopefully it will work as well this year but I won't know until December.

Any exposure that you want as a 1st/2nd year is really up to you. there are opportunities to volunteer at multiple clinics and health fairs but we have to make the time for it. there is a program called COMP squared that focuses mostly on OMM but gives you the opportunity to shadow OMT physicians, I was actually able to volunteer at the free health clinic throughout eh global health club 4 times between last semester by just being available and had an amazing experience every time. We had a physician talk to us from Philomath who discussed opening a free clinic out there (about 40 minutes from Lebs) last year so Im still crossing my fingers that will happen soon and give some more clinical opportunities. Long story short, the opportunities are there but you have to go after them and be willing to sacrifice the precious study time (i.e. no time allotted for shadowing, etc.)

Got an alternate letter in the mail today, any current students on here that had this as well? I just wanted to know if you sent letters of intent, how often you updated the school, etc. Also, is it true they don't take students from the alternate list until March?