Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there. Hoping any current students could just give me some more insight about the school. I'm currently battling back and forth in my head whether I should put my deposit down at COMP-NW or DMU (in Iowa). After interviewing at COMP-NW I fell in love with the family feel of this school. The staff and students were so open and friendly; it just gives you the feeling that they will do whatever it takes to help you succeed. Being from the Midwest I was more familiar with DMUs reputation and know they're a good school, but it's a much larger class size and they don't seem to have the same "cohesiveness" with each other and the community. I was just hoping some of the current students could share their experiences at your school thus far. Just curious why you choose COMP-NW, was there anything that surprised you (good or bad) once you started, or did you deal with something similar and ended up choosing COMP-NW. Any thoughts would be amazing. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting to hear for 11/15. I have deposits coming due, but this is definitely up there, along with DMU and KCUMB. Ugh, stress!

Hi there. Hoping any current students could just give me some more insight about the school. I'm currently battling back and forth in my head whether I should put my deposit down at COMP-NW or DMU (in Iowa). After interviewing at COMP-NW I fell in love with the family feel of this school. The staff and students were so open and friendly; it just gives you the feeling that they will do whatever it takes to help you succeed. Being from the Midwest I was more familiar with DMUs reputation and know they're a good school, but it's a much larger class size and they don't seem to have the same "cohesiveness" with each other and the community. I was just hoping some of the current students could share their experiences at your school thus far. Just curious why you choose COMP-NW, was there anything that surprised you (good or bad) once you started, or did you deal with something similar and ended up choosing COMP-NW. Any thoughts would be amazing. Thanks!

1st Here.
Comp-NW definitely has a family feel. I know almost every single one of my classmates and can converse with them easily. Materials flow freely throughout our school and everyone is willing to help each other. It's competitive, but not in a bad way.

My experience has been positive so far. The professors are good and faculty/staff are great. The only issue I've had is the city. Lebanon is lacking incredibly in entertainment and dining options. Me and classmates end up eating at the same old few restaurants all the time and it's not enjoyable. On the flip side, being new to the Pacific NW, I've enjoyed the sight seeing thus far and it was a positive thing.

Now DMU is no doubt one of the best DO schools out there so really weigh that in. I know me personally, I would HATE to go to a larger school. The small class size has been one of the best things about COMP-NW.

On a Side Note---to the former Paramedic from Bend--I know you are reading this. I hear you are searching for my true identity, YOU SHALL NEVER DISCOVER WHO I AM!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1st Here.
Comp-NW definitely has a family feel. I know almost every single one of my classmates and can converse with them easily. Materials flow freely throughout our school and everyone is willing to help each other. It's competitive, but not in a bad way.

My experience has been positive so far. The professors are good and faculty/staff are great. The only issue I've had is the city. Lebanon is lacking incredibly in entertainment and dining options. Me and classmates end up eating at the same old few restaurants all the time and it's not enjoyable. On the flip side, being new to the Pacific NW, I've enjoyed the sight seeing thus far and it was a positive thing.

Now DMU is no doubt one of the best DO schools out there so really weigh that in. I know me personally, I would HATE to go to a larger school. The small class size has been one of the best things about COMP-NW.

On a Side Note---to the former Paramedic from Bend--I know you are reading this. I hear you are searching for my true identity, YOU SHALL NEVER DISCOVER WHO I AM!!!!

Thanks for your input. I'm really struggling with this decision because I love each school for different reasons. Have you ever felt disadvantaged in terms of your education? That's not the impression I got but I was only there for half a day so it's hard to take everything in! I'm just scared that I fall in love with this school 26 hours from home, move all the way out there and then find out it's not what I expected! Haha

Thanks for your input. I'm really struggling with this decision because I love each school for different reasons. Have you ever felt disadvantaged in terms of your education? That's not the impression I got but I was only there for half a day so it's hard to take everything in! I'm just scared that I fall in love with this school 26 hours from home, move all the way out there and then find out it's not what I expected! Haha

Never felt at a disadvantage. One thing that turned me off was the Standardized Patient Encounters, but almost every DO school has that. Would have been nice to be able to see some real live patients."

Ultimately it's a gamble--it moving away scares you--then not sure if its wise.

I feel the school is perfectly fine, the fit is great for me with the cohesiveness, and the only downside is that it's in Lebanon, Oregon--population: 15k.

Hi Maester aemon,
Would you mind answering a few questions that I have right now? I am also waitlisted as well and I called Jeannie Davis, who was so helpful in letting me know the reason I was wailisted and offered a few pointers for me to improve my application. So the question is:
1. When did you interview 2 years ago? and is the waitlist ranked? I asked her but she did not answer me anything about the ranking.
2. Do they only look at those waitlisted in March?
3. When should be the best way to send in letter of intent and update letter about current activities? I am attempting to send it now, but will it look like I am so desperate?
4. In the previous thread, you said that we should continue to let them know that you're committed. In what way should we do this? I don't want to update them monthly with what I am doing since it may backfire lol.
Thanks a lot and I would really appreciate your feedback.

I had a December interview and from my understanding the alternate list is not ranked and they review it when spots become available. They don't start pulling people from the alternate list until they are done with all of the interviews in late March/ April.
Personally, I waited until March to send in all of my updated information and Letter of Intent. My thinking was that I wanted to be fresh in their minds when they started to pull applicants off of the list. On the flip side, sending information sooner rather than later could show your pro activeness. Either way be sure to show your interest in the school as they seem to appreciate it. if you do send updates or your LOI early on I encourage you to send more updated information as well closer to the end of the cycle I had the same fears of not wanting to look desperate, and didn't want to pester or annoy anyone, but I knew this was where I wanted to be so i went after it and it worked out. I had a couple conversations with Jeannie on how I could continue to improve on my application and continued to attend OPSO events in Portland. Staff and faculty from COMP NW were frequently there and I used it as an opportunity to talk with them more, let them know my continued interest in the school and me as an applicant outside the interview. Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

I'm a first year and I love it. I chose COMP-NW for the sense of community within the school, and I'm from a small town, unlike my classmate that replied who is from a major city in the southeast, so I have no real complaints. I would emphasize the importance of your relationships in med school and the cohesiveness you mentioned. There have been a few students in our class that had life happen to them, for lack of a better term; things out of their control that are devastating. I have been fortunate enough to have not experienced this yet, but I couldn't imagine a better group of people to help me through.

To everyone interviewing tomorrow that I was able to meet at the meet & greet, you all seemed wonderful! The school already likes you; be yourself! Try to relax and remember that tomorrow is about YOU and seeing if COMP-NW is a good fit for you too! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
To everyone interviewing tomorrow that I was able to meet at the meet & greet, you all seemed wonderful! The school already likes you; be yourself! Try to relax and remember that tomorrow is about YOU and seeing if COMP-NW is a good fit for you too! Best of luck!
I was there today. Thank you for taking the time to meet with us!

Withdrew my acceptance here today. I'm sure it will go to a deserving applicant! Absolutely loved this school, but having family in Yakima ended up being the deciding factor for PNWU. Best of luck everyone with the rest of the cycle!

About to drop a 1k deposit. They sure know how to hit us where it hurts. Funny though, cause I don't think the deposits really change anyones behavior, everyone will still go to the school higher on their list if they end up getting accepted there.

I think you will have better residency options attending DMU all else being equal, but if going to the slightly better residency isn't a big deal to you then Western is an awesome school.

Personally I am going to hope for an acceptance from CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, or AZCOM over my acceptance at Western. I think those schools will provide a better shot at a top residency. But that is just my opinion.

About to drop a 1k deposit. They sure know how to hit us where it hurts. Funny though, cause I don't think the deposits really change anyones behavior, everyone will still go to the school higher on their list if they end up getting accepted there.
Econ 101 right there. Perfectly inelastic demand--they can charge any amount and people will still pay it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So attempted to call the number to pay the deposit but no answer over the weekend, I hope they will let me call in at 8:00 am tomorrow. Unfortunately the other school I was waiting on didn't get back to me until late last week and I couldn't get in my deposit sooner. Praying that they will understand as there is no way to pay before tomorrow....

So attempted to call the number to pay the deposit but no answer over the weekend, I hope they will let me call in at 8:00 am tomorrow. Unfortunately the other school I was waiting on didn't get back to me until late last week and I couldn't get in my deposit sooner. Praying that they will understand as there is no way to pay before tomorrow....
I called the prospective applicants number b/c the person whose number we were given in our letter never answered after several calls. I look up the prospective applicants number on their website. Good luck!

Perhaps someone who has interviewed here can help me with these questions. They say you participate in two MMIs where you have a few minutes to read a question or scenario then you go in and participate.

What are these like? Are they mostly ethical stuff? Or what does this entail?

Also, what is the 30 minute panel interview like? What types of questions do they ask?

Appreciate your help in answering these questions.
Edit. Just be honest.

Last edited:
There is a nondisclosure agreement, so we can't share details. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about it too much and just be yourself. Schools have very different personalities, so you're most likely to be accepted at one you'll do well at if you're authentic and let the interviewers get to know you a bit.

For those that interviewed on 12/6, has anyone received any feedback yet??

Congratulations! What was your interview date?

Also got tha acceptance call today! Very excited about this school. I: 12/6. M: 26. G: 3.7. Local resident.

I'll be interviewing on January 22nd! Congrats to everyone who has already been accepted!

Got the call this morning. Couldn't be happier! I'm floating :)

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off alternate list already! How long after receiving acceptance letter until you have to pay first deposit? I just got a phone call....

Reactions: 1 user
to those that have been accepted, are of you having trouble with accessing the email account? I am using the link they provided me in the acceptance packet and it sends me to a "western state colorado university"

edit: nvm forgot to put in the "u" in westernu :)

Last edited:
2nd Year COMP-NW student here. Feel free to ask any questions about the school, rotations, residency, etc.

2nd Year COMP-NW student here. Feel free to ask any questions about the school, rotations, residency, etc.

Hello, I have a question for you! Is the interprofessional education curriculum only available at the Pomona campus? I was reading about it on the website, but it seemed a little unclear whether or not Lebanon students would still participate remotely. Thank you!

Hello, I have a question for you! Is the interprofessional education curriculum only available at the Pomona campus? I was reading about it on the website, but it seemed a little unclear whether or not Lebanon students would still participate remotely. Thank you!
Yes, we have the Interprofessional program at COMP-NW as well. But honestly, it is not the highlight of the curriculum. Because we currently only have one profession here, we work with LBCC nursing, and MA programs, and OSU pharmD. 2nd year curriculum is done online with all of the Pomona students writing consult request letters and responses. Neither campus loves IPE (I have friends in multiple Pomona programs), but the course director's willingness to change the program, especially his willingness to adapt the NW stuff for us has been very encouraging. I know first year IPE changed a lot between my 1st year and the current 1st years, just because we were active about explaining what wasn't working, why, and how to make it better.

Sorry to post the same thing twice, but I just wanted to see if anything has updated:

I have an interview on Jan 10 and I'm arriving the day before to Portland. Is there anyone else coming in that would be interested in sharing a ride to Lebanon?

I'm slightly confused on if Lebanon/Pomona have a single application list or if you have to send the apps to the schools individually. Also, as an OOS from Midwest would it be possible to receive an II from Lebanon? 25 MCAT 3.5cGPA 3.2sGPA working as tech/scribe for 6+months now so lots of patient interaction between 4 physicians. Also volunteered at a hospital's pharmacy (100+ hours).

Anyone have honest thoughts for me? I'm pretty confident I want to apply to Pomona, but if I have to apply separately I think i'm gonna pass on Lebanon unless it's a realistic chance of getting an II. Thanks in advance everyone!

I'm slightly confused on if Lebanon/Pomona have a single application list or if you have to send the apps to the schools individually. Also, as an OOS from Midwest would it be possible to receive an II from Lebanon? 25 MCAT 3.5cGPA 3.2sGPA working as tech/scribe for 6+months now so lots of patient interaction between 4 physicians. Also volunteered at a hospital's pharmacy (100+ hours).

Anyone have honest thoughts for me? I'm pretty confident I want to apply to Pomona, but if I have to apply separately I think i'm gonna pass on Lebanon unless it's a realistic chance of getting an II. Thanks in advance everyone!

The two campuses have separate applications. I'm an out of state applicant also from the midwest (26 MCAT, 3.7 GPA); I only applied to the Lebanon campus and I have an interview coming up. Hope this helps!

Yes, we have the Interprofessional program at COMP-NW as well. But honestly, it is not the highlight of the curriculum. Because we currently only have one profession here, we work with LBCC nursing, and MA programs, and OSU pharmD. 2nd year curriculum is done online with all of the Pomona students writing consult request letters and responses. Neither campus loves IPE (I have friends in multiple Pomona programs), but the course director's willingness to change the program, especially his willingness to adapt the NW stuff for us has been very encouraging. I know first year IPE changed a lot between my 1st year and the current 1st years, just because we were active about explaining what wasn't working, why, and how to make it better.

Thank you!

HI everyone :)

I was put on the pre-interview waiting list a week ago, and I was wondering what kind of success people had getting an interview afterwards? And if so, how often you contacted them or if you had any suggestions?

I'm really excited about western u, but I also want to go into it with realistic expectations. Thanks everyone!

I have already messaged quite a few COMP-NW current students but I have quite a few questions and was wondering if anyone has answers to them?

Is attendance mandatory and if so what is the class schedule? Is it 8 to 5 everyday? How often are tests? I know there is streaming but does that mean live streaming or is it recorded so you can watch them later? If they are recorded can I literally never show up to class and simply watch the recordings and if so how many hours of recordings do you watch a day? How are rotations? Are there any big drawbacks about the school itself, I know I already really like the surrounding area.

Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I interview on Jan 10th and I am super nervous! This is my number one school (I have family in Lebanon and Albany) and the first school I am interviewing at. Does anyone know the length of our responses to the MMI's? (I am trying to practice).

Sorry to post the same thing twice, but I just wanted to see if anything has updated:

I have an interview on Jan 10 and I'm arriving the day before to Portland. Is there anyone else coming in that would be interested in sharing a ride to Lebanon?

I will be driving down from Tacoma the day before and might be able to swing by Portland and get you (depending when your flight arrives).

I drive a pretty sweet Kia Sedona minivan complete with some residual dog hair from my golden retriever. I will also be staying with my Grandmother while in Lebanon, so it may be helpful to find someone staying in the same hotel to share a ride with to get to the school in the morning. (If not we can work that out too.)

There is a thing called Hut Shuttle. That will take your from Portland to Lebanon and back for only like $40 each way. They run every 2 hours.

I wonder if any COMPNW students could offer me some counsel. I have been accepted (happily) to this wonderful school. I very much enjoyed everything about my interview experience and was pretty impressed with the facilities and emphasis on research. However, I have been accepted to an MD school with a solid reputation. I still have one more MD interview to come as well. I have placed a deposit at the MD school, but I am torn about placing the 1K deposit at COMPNW. I have spent sooo much this cycle, and I already have a seat at another school that didn't cost me more than 100$. I don't feel ready to cut ties with Western, because I am still seriously considering it, but it's hard to drop that kind of dough. I also feel bad holding a seat when there are likely so many other deserving applicants just waiting for that call. Any advice or opinions is much appreciated! I also he a great time at the meet and greet on December 5! Thanks to anyone who responses:)

There is a thing called Hut Shuttle. That will take your from Portland to Lebanon and back for only like $40 each way. They run every 2 hours.

I checked the website but it only shows them running to Albany, Corvallis, and a few other, seemingly farther places. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm from Arizona and trying to decide between KCUMB and Lebanon (tough decision!!). Are there apartments to live nearby in Lebanon?