Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh hey guys from the 1/22/15 interviews, I emailed Jeannie today and she replied with "We have not complete the final reviews for the Jan 22nd interview date at this time. I anticipate we have final decisions out in the next two weeks. Sorry for the delay!". Just fyi :).

Reactions: 1 user
I am not from the area. Actually currently living in New England so I will likely be flying out to PDX friday the 6th
Did you already get a rental car or would you like to carpool? I'll be driving down from Portland on the 6th to attend the pizza party. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh hey guys from the 1/22/15 interviews, I emailed Jeannie today and she replied with "We have not complete the final reviews for the Jan 22nd interview date at this time. I anticipate we have final decisions out in the next two weeks. Sorry for the delay!". Just fyi :).
Oh gosh, well I hope they don't take an extended amount of time with my interviewing group because I have deposits that will be due in just a couple of weeks... :nailbiting:

Thanks for sharing this info!

Could anyone shed some light on the video lectures broadcasted from Pomona? I am the type of student that likes to go to class and ask questions. Are there students there that are the same way that get along fine? Is a lot of the 2nd year small group work? BTW, I interviewed on Jan 10, accepted Jan 26. Considering TUNCOM because they do not have distance lectures.

Hey guys, short notice, but what are you wearing to the dinner tonight or previous interviewees what did you wear? Thanks so much.

On the online status part, after it says application materials received will it change to anything else after that? Like committee review/interview/etc?

I just got the acceptance call from Dr. Pham!!! I am currently jumping around my house shrieking with delight!

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted, yay! This was my first choice, so I'll be attending this school in the Fall and cancelling my 3 other interviews. Anyone else planning on going to COMP-NW in the Fall?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we need to fulfill the reprequiste course before matriculating, since i saw that I have some deficiency hours on the AACOMAS application?

Interview Invitation!! Oregon resident

Reactions: 2 users
Could anyone shed some light on the video lectures broadcasted from Pomona? I am the type of student that likes to go to class and ask questions. Are there students there that are the same way that get along fine? Is a lot of the 2nd year small group work? BTW, I interviewed on Jan 10, accepted Jan 26. Considering TUNCOM because they do not have distance lectures.
Sorry for the slow response from a current student. There are a lot of students that don't go to class, but I almost always do. There are still lots of times to ask questions, the mic. set-up is working well now, and most profs answer emails really quickly, and you can always set up a video conference call with them if you need extra help. Also, most of the time there is COMP-NW faculty in and out of the lecture hall when things are being streamed, so for the more clinical classes (all of second year) you can just ask that clinician for clarification. I was worried about the streaming going in, but its great to have everything recorded and if you are sick you can just watch from home so it takes a lot of stress off. Hope this helps!

Sorry for the slow response from a current student. There are a lot of students that don't go to class, but I almost always do. There are still lots of times to ask questions, the mic. set-up is working well now, and most profs answer emails really quickly, and you can always set up a video conference call with them if you need extra help. Also, most of the time there is COMP-NW faculty in and out of the lecture hall when things are being streamed, so for the more clinical classes (all of second year) you can just ask that clinician for clarification. I was worried about the streaming going in, but its great to have everything recorded and if you are sick you can just watch from home so it takes a lot of stress off. Hope this helps!
Also, the stuff that really counts for having a prof live, clinical medicine and osteopathic stuff, is all taught on site by our amazing faculty.

Does anyone know how full they are? Also, is there heavy weight given to being from the Pacific NW? I've heard nothing at all from COMP-Lebanon except the occasional reply to my emails, i.e. no change in status, despite interviewing in Pomona in January. I am debating going to visit campus anyway, but I don't want to make the effort if I have little chance. This is one of my top DO choices because of the block schedule, small class size and location.

Does anyone know how full they are? Also, is there heavy weight given to being from the Pacific NW? I've heard nothing at all from COMP-Lebanon except the occasional reply to my emails, i.e. no change in status, despite interviewing in Pomona in January. I am debating going to visit campus anyway, but I don't want to make the effort if I have little chance. This is one of my top DO choices because of the block schedule, small class size and location.
I don't think there is much of a weight for a student from the pacific nw because they are a private school. In fact, I actually think at my interview date they specifically said a student from the pacific nw does not have a better chance because he/she is from the area. That being said however, most students who do attend are from the pacific nw because that's where most of their applicants are from.

Reactions: 1 users

Don't know--but remember--if the school is sending out an interview, they liked something about you and you still have a shot. I am not aware of the school interviewing people to be put on a wait list.

How did you guys find out about a pizza social for the night before the interview? I interview next month and didn't see anything about that for my interview date.

How did you guys find out about a pizza social for the night before the interview? I interview next month and didn't see anything about that for my interview date.

I received an email inviting me the pizza social. It was in an email to confirm that I would be attending the interview and invited me to the pizza social as well. I got the email a few weeks before the actual interview date.

I got the email today. My interview is on March 7th. Anyone flying into PDX want to split a room/car/shuttle?

Thanks
Won't be flying in as I'm local, but I'll be at the pizza social

I sent a message declining my March 7 interview today, so I hope someone here gets it. Seems like a great program.

I just got the acceptance call from Dr. Pham!!! I am currently jumping around my house shrieking with delight!
Did they tell you that they would be notifying you by mail? That's what they said during the 2/7 interviews. Just wondering why you were lucky enough to get a call :) and congrats!! Hope we are classmates!!

Did they tell you that they would be notifying you by mail? That's what they said during the 2/7 interviews. Just wondering why you were lucky enough to get a call :) and congrats!! Hope we are classmates!!

I also remember them saying we'd get a phone call if we are accepted during my interview (1/22). I can't remember if applicants who have been wait-listed or denied get notified by email or just snail mail. Hope to see you in a few months :)

They told us the same thing when I interviewed on 1/22. From what I've seen on SDN, you should receive a call if you've been accepted to the school. Those put on the waitlist or who've been denied are notified via snail mail. I could be wrong though...
Thanks! I am on pins and needles waiting for that phone to ring!! I guess if they stick to the timeline from the 1/22 interviews then the calls should come in today/this week sometime. waiting....waiting.....waiting....

I also remember them saying we'd get a phone call if we are accepted during my interview (1/22). I can't remember if applicants who have been wait-listed or denied get notified by email or just snail mail. Hope to see you in a few months :)
thanks! hope to see you too. I think this waiting is harder than it was waiting for the interview!!! :-/

I called Jeannie today (because I have other deposits due this week) and she told me that they are meeting with the dean and final decisions will be made later this week. I interviewed on 2/7. =)

I called Jeannie today (because I have other deposits due this week) and she told me that they are meeting with the dean and final decisions will be made later this week. I interviewed on 2/7. =)
perfect! That takes some stress off for the beginning of the week! lol

Just cancelled my interview scheduled for next Sat (March 7th). I hope that in some way this helps someone out there. Best of luck everyone!

Anyone attending the pizza social Friday? Also what did everyone wear when they went to this?

Anyone attending the pizza social Friday? Also what did everyone wear when they went to this?

I just wore casual. Jeans and a nice top would probably suffice. And also, good luck with your upcoming interview!

I just wore casual. Jeans and a nice top would probably suffice. And also, good luck with your upcoming interview!
Thanks! And thanks for the input sounds like a good plan to me.

I'll be there. I'll probably wear business casual.
Ok maybe I'll step up my dress to that level, just seems real formal for eating pizza. But better overdressed than under

Has anyone heard back from the 2/7 interviews? I'm getting anxious :p

Haven't heard anything...I'm very anxious too! I'm glad no one else has either lol

Just got the acceptance call from Dr. Pham. I'll be withdrawing my acceptance though because I will be attending another school next year - hope it makes space for one of you!

Just got the acceptance call from Dr. Pham. I'll be withdrawing my acceptance though because I will be attending another school next year - hope it makes space for one of you!

Does anyone know if they do all the calls in one day? That's not a good sign.

Any more updates from the interview group on 2/7? I believe Western is bringing in another 50 applicants for interviews this weekend.