Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!:cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice or successful strategies for applying to this university as an in-stater?

I interviewed here last March but didn't get in. Hopefully I get another shot here! Loved the area!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here last March but didn't get in. Hopefully I get another shot here! Loved the area!

I am on the waitlist for this year, but working on my app for next year because I doubt I will make it off, I really liked it too.

I'm dying to get this secondary!!! Anyone know when they went out last year?

Any advice or successful strategies for applying to this university as an in-stater?
IMHO have a competitive academic profile and be yourself in personal statements and interviews. Then let the school decide. If they choose you then it was a good fit. If they turn you down, then something wasn't clicking and you wouldn't have been happy there anyway. In state/OOS becomes less of an issue when you're talking about non-state funded schools. Have an open mind about applying broadly and find a school that you like, and that likes you. It's like dating.

Members don't see this ad :)
the link doesn't seem to be working for me :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So hopeful to get one from here soon!!!

Can you share the love and post the prompts? :)
While shadowing a Physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest?

Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.

Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.

Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.

For transfer applicants only:

Why have you chosen the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific for transfer?

*There are 1,650 characters/spaces available for each essay question.

While shadowing a Physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest?

Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.

Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.

Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.

For transfer applicants only:

Why have you chosen the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific for transfer?

*There are 1,650 characters/spaces available for each essay question.
Thanks!!

No secondary yet here , hopefully they send out more.

For the clinical experience section, are you just listing shadowing experiences? I am assuming that is all they want based on the format.

How are you guys answering the "Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you." I said all I wanted to say in the essay of "Why Western." The only things I can think to put are "Nice weather, close to home"

Reactions: 1 users
Totally realized I posted this on the WesternU-CA secondary page.
But to more or less echo CaWolf. I work as a scribe in a Family Practice full of DOs. I would hate to leave the page re/clinical experience with the physician blank because I haven't been able to "officially shadow" a DO. Would you guys suggest I just enter the information and in the free text space just mention my situation?

How are you guys answering the "Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you." I said all I wanted to say in the essay of "Why Western." The only things I can think to put are "Nice weather, close to home"
I am having the same issue!! I am struggling with separating my answers to the two questions.

Why Western should answer something like: why Western over another DO school? And the other question should answer: Why COMP-NW over COMP?

Do these Western University Schools care if I used some of the same answers for the Lebanon and Pomona essay questions? It was hard not to and it does say something about not using the same answers, which is annoying.

Where did they say not using the same answers for both campuses? That doesn't seem likely..

Just got a secondary!
This school is one of my top choices, so I am super excited!

Does anyone know if COMP accepts letters through AACOMAS? They didn't specify this at the website.

Does anyone know if COMP accepts letters through AACOMAS? They didn't specify this at the website.
I called them about something else and I am quite sure they said they accept letters through AACOMAS--that is certainly how I am doing mine.
Unrelatedly, does anyone have any thoughts on how bad it is to run short on some of these secondary essays? For example I think I have a decent answer to why Western but it's not 1650 characters.

Whew!! Just finished the secondary, getting a little burned out, these questions felt endless! But I would really love to go here, it seems awesome. good luck to everyone :)

How long did it take to get a secondary after verification?

Does anyone know if we get an email when marked complete?

For letters, we don't need to resubmit it in the secondary as long as they are received by AACOMAS right ?

Does anyone know if we get an email when marked complete?
We get an email saying they received our secondary application and it is up to us to check the status of our application.

on other note...
Is anyone considered "complete"? I am still missing my LOR. I sent them via Interfolio last week.

My LORs were attached to my AACOMAS primary application. Still don't see them on the portal either.

So we only need to submit one secondary even if you are applying to both campuses ??? I submitted the one for Northwest last night, but the portal says I have two processed applications, and theone was for the Pomona campus (I did checked "yes" when it asked me if I am applying to Pomona campus)...... I created two applications, but I was gonna finish the Pomona one today........

My LORs were attached to my AACOMAS primary application. Still don't see them on the portal either.

I have the same issue. I completed secondary on 7/21 and everything is not up yet. I guess they are having a lot of applications.

I completed one for each school. Both applications are slightly different, so you need two of them.

So we only need to submit one secondary even if you are applying to both campuses ??? I submitted the one for Northwest last night, but the portal says I have two processed applications, and theone was for the Pomona campus (I did checked "yes" when it asked me if I am applying to Pomona campus)...... I created two applications, but I was gonna finish the Pomona one today........

Are we supposed to answer the question about extenuating circumstances (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc.) or is it optional? I mean, I have some C's, but don't have any good explanation as to why.

Do you guys think if I take a bit of poetic turn on this essay, it will be looked down upon? I am from PNW, and I absolutely in love with this region's natural beauty.

Do you guys think if I take a bit of poetic turn on this essay, it will be looked down upon? I am from PNW, and I absolutely in love with this region's natural beauty.

That seems like a good idea. Honestly, to me, the first three questions seem to be fairly similar, so having distinct answers seems beneficial.

My motto is "when in doubt, make the conservative choice" Very low probability that writing a poetic secondary will make them say "Let's interview them!" Slightly higher probability that they won't appreciate the creativity. I guess it depends how you do it.

Thank You for replies.
I am already addressing healthcare disparities among urban and rural population in PNW in other question, so for this one I want to really emphasize how much I love the region. Being very outdoorsy I legitimately wish I never would have to move from this region lol

Oh one more thing is it 1650 characters with spaces or without?

Has anyone been marked complete yet? This is killing me!

Has anyone been marked complete yet? This is killing me!

My checklist shows everything there, so I think I am "complete".
Secondary submitted - 7/23
MCAT received - 7/29
LOR received - 7/30

I wish there was an actual confirmation though!!