Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The other good thing is that the clinical sites are very strong

What's your criteria for "very strong?" That's a very general statement to make without having any real evidence to back it up.

Members don't see this ad.

So do you disagree?

I'm going to reserve judgement on the quality of rotations. I asked YOU, what's your criteria for "very strong." Are most at academic centers with residency training programs? Are they large volume hospitals with enough breadth of pathology to be sufficient teaching hospitals?

Or are most rotations community outpatient-based, minimal variety that have an emphasis on turn-and-burn crank out patients rather than teaching? For instance, in these types of programs you will spend 2/3 of your OR time on surgery doing screening colonoscopies. You might learn something from a colonoscopy or two, especially if it's for an acute problem, but there is nothing to learn from your 67th screening colonoscopy.

I'm not here to **** about the rotations. My original question was asking you how you came up with your grading scale.

I think you have too much time on your hands.
You are very sharp with your assessment of things that you know nothing about. You said, "Why bother digging a post months ago..." Answer: because I consider myself busier than your average bee so I only check this every few weeks or months to skim through looking for questions I might be able to answer.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Quality of rotations is the only thing that matters when looking at schools. Unfortunately it's the only part you can't go tour or get good info on before signing on for the long haul. So choose wisely and best of luck.

The first two years are going to be you and your study materials sitting in your study cave. How much you learn in preclinicals has nothing to do with the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Get real people! If your too good for COMP-NW's rotation sites, then don't go there. I'm pretty sure razor's attitude is not what this forum or school is all about....

Reactions: 2 users
Let's get real here. You won't be doing jack as a third year medical student on your GI clinical rotation. You're there to observe the work, show a team player atmosphere, and prove that you're trainable. You are also there to do scut work, so that the residents and attending physicians can do their jobs. Your complaint isn't limited to COMP-NW. It cuts across all schools. It's up to you to go out and reach out to those attending physicians for additional teachings. The school can only place you in the environment. Perhaps your attitude is what's keeping attending physicians and residents from teaching you.

I didn't say this was my experience on a rotation...also a GI rotation would mean lots of scopes, but if you read what I wrote I said Surgery.

I asked you how you rate your rotations and gave the two complete opposites in clinical settings asking you which is more important. Thanks for the nonstop personal attacks though when all of this started because I asked you what your definition of "very strong" rotation is. That's more like the premed forum I know.

Last edited:
Since you're Army HPSP, I'm going to give you a word of advice as a current Army guy with lots of experience in an operational setting. You better keep that attitude and your expectations in check, or you're going to have a hard time during your Army auditions and obligation years, especially when you have to bow your head to higher ranked infantry officers.
Where were you when I was seeking out a life coach? We've exchanged a few sentences on an online forum and you've already figured out where all my problems stem from.
hahah
/
Shoulda known better than to peek my nose into the premed forums...Good luck everyone.

Could you suggest the names of health food/organic produce stores in the area? I'm not finding any through gps. Thanks!

Could you suggest the names of health food/organic produce stores in the area? I'm not finding any through gps. Thanks!

It's not quite in the area, but there's a Co-Op in Corvallis, about 25-30 minutes away

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here on Saturday and loved the school! Hoping to hear some good news soon! The apartments are brand new and super nice, and they allow pets--big bonus. The town is pretty great, and I went to Co-Op (Organic store in Corvallis). It's a 25 minute drive, but the food is fresh. The cost is not any cheaper than in Portland area, unfortunately; it's equivalent to Whole Food's prices. Overall, I'd love to go here!

I just received the secondary today. Is it too late to apply here?

I got an email today that I've been put on hold for an interview...anyone else? I'm wondering how many people they do this to, if there is a chance of getting an interview or just waiting for inevitable rejection lol

may i ask what were your stats?

Why would you pay for a primary and not submit a secondary? Your chances go down the longer you wait, however, I'm guessing you haven't been accepted anywhere. In which case, they interview through March.

Anybody know anything about a Second Look Day at COMP-NW?
I haven't heard anything about them doing one...might be a nice chance to meet classmates though if they did one

Go for it. It's getting to be a little late in the cycle, but if they sent the secondary, that means they're still looking and there is a chance. Just get it in ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi folks,

I read that the interview day ends at 4PM. Can you guys comment on what time you got out? I don't have a lot of flight options, so I'm trying to figure out the best course of action. Thank you!!

Hi folks,

I read that the interview day ends at 4PM. Can you guys comment on what time you got out? I don't have a lot of flight options, so I'm trying to figure out the best course of action. Thank you!!
Hi,
It actually finished by 2:30pm, and I was the last person to interview. They said we would be done by 2:00pm, but I got out around 2:45pm. So you should be done no later than that.

Interview on Dec. 12th and just checked BanWeb and it says Institutional Acceptance! I'm worried to get my hopes up because I haven't gotten a phone call yet. :boom:

I
Interview on Dec. 12th and just checked BanWeb and it says Institutional Acceptance! I'm worried to get my hopes up because I haven't gotten a phone call yet. :boom:
I just called them and I got accepted, and so did you!!!!! Congrats, soooooo happy!!!!!

I submitted my secondary a few months ago and I haven't been called for an interview. I live in Oregon, went to OSU. I've got a few friends with a very similar application as my own who have been accepted.
One thing I am concerned with is that my permanent/legal address was listed as being in Florida because my mom moved there and I didn't know where else to put down (since I moved so much within the last few years) but I grew up in Oregon. I am freaking out and wondering if anyone knows what could be going on, if I should be concerned, etc. Thanks!

I submitted my secondary a few months ago and I haven't been called for an interview. I live in Oregon, went to OSU. I've got a few friends with a very similar application as my own who have been accepted.
One thing I am concerned with is that my permanent/legal address was listed as being in Florida because my mom moved there and I didn't know where else to put down (since I moved so much within the last few years) but I grew up in Oregon. I am freaking out and wondering if anyone knows what could be going on, if I should be concerned, etc. Thanks!
They contact you via email for your interview, so your permanent address shouldn't matter at this stage. I know waiting sucks...if you are really worried, you can send an email asking for an update, or just wait it out. I wish you luck!

If you do interview, they will ask you if you need to update your permanent address incase you are accepted.

Hi, fellow Accepted Students! I submitted my payment via the portal and am trying to set up my email. I followed the instructions in the letter, but I keep getting an error that a mailbox could not be found for my email address. Has anyone else encountered any errors? The IT Office is also closed, and I just wanted to complete set up. Thanks and Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Hi, fellow Accepted Students! I submitted my payment via the portal and am trying to set up my email. I followed the instructions in the letter, but I keep getting an error that a mailbox could not be found for my email address. Has anyone else encountered any errors? The IT Office is also closed, and I just wanted to complete set up. Thanks and Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
It may take a week or so after you submitted your deposit.

Just got an interview invite! Traveling a long way for this one, but I love the location. Any heads up about the interview? Are they still filling seats? Or mostly waitlisting? Interview is late January.

Is there a class Facebook page yet? Let's just say I am VERY excited :)

Any movement from the pre-interview hold? I would really love to interview here.

Has any who was complete in November heard back regarding their status? I haven't heard anything from this school but heard back from the Pomona campus quickly.

Just got an interview invite! Traveling a long way for this one, but I love the location. Any heads up about the interview? Are they still filling seats? Or mostly waitlisting? Interview is late January.

Do you mind sharing when you were complete? Trying to get an idea of the turnaround time so I don't sit here refreshing BanWeb every five minutes lol.

Does anyone know when they typically inform people who are accepted to the ISAC program? I am very interested in applying, but would need to inform my Post bacc program that I would be leaving early by atleast mid April and am hoping I will know by then :/ Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm wondering the same thing. Anyone know this? How late into the year do they interview? Thanks!

Has anyone had an updated decision status on BanWeb which said "Please contact admissions office?" They updated my supplementary material dates a couple of days ago and now the "Decision" field has that written in it. I'm going to contact them tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered anything similar.

Has anyone had an updated decision status on BanWeb which said "Please contact admissions office?" They updated my supplementary material dates a couple of days ago and now the "Decision" field has that written in it. I'm going to contact them tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered anything similar.

Got the same response. Guess we will both find out tomorrow. Best of luck.

It just disappeared on its own today. Kind of weird, lol.

Mine disappeared today as well. I had contacted them but apparently everyone is already out of the office and won't return until Tuesday.

The saga continues.........

Mine disappeared today as well. I had contacted them but apparently everyone is already out of the office and won't return until Tuesday.

The saga continues.........

I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I was semi-hoping it was a good sign lol

Dear friends of SDN, we, the class of 2019 at COMP-NW, have created a Facebook page for those who have been ACCEPTED to comp-nw for the 2020 graduation year. Our own class connection page with the 2018 class has been an invaluable resource throughout our first year so far and especially as we prepared to move to Oregon and attend comp-nw. Here is the link, please feel free to join if you have been accepted and plan on attending COMP-NW.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/178947889127339/

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how full the class is at this point? I am adding this school late but want to know if it is worth to submit a secondary at this point in the cycle?

II just now, after submitting an update yesterday! The options were Jan 23rd and Feb 6th. I chose Feb 6th.

II just now, after submitting an update yesterday! The options were Jan 23rd and Feb 6th. I chose Feb 6th.

Would you mind sharing if you're IS/OOS and your timeline for submission & complete/in-review? Also, was the update just an academic update? I submitted my update & transcript to AACOMAS but I've heard nothing about whether it was received, processed, etc. :confused:

Also interviewing on February 6th. Best of luck everyone. Got my interview invite today. Options of this Saturday and 2/6.

Did you end up contacting them regarding the "Decision" status when it had changed?

Last edited: