Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

SPaRC at WesternU

Congratulations on being accepted to WesternU. SPaRC 2016 will run six weeks from June 6 to July 15, 2016. The anticipated cost of registration for the program is $950.

SPaRC covers some foundational first semester science material (Anatomy, Skeletal System, OMM, and Pharm) related to the DO curriculum, but the biggest benefits for participating DO students are:

• Becoming accustomed to a full day’s worth of classes

• Developing effective study habits

• Building supportive relationships with peers

• Familiarizing themselves with available resources on campus
The truth is, nothing can quite prepare DO students for the pacing and volume of the program; however, this summer program allows students to work through any potential academic or personal issues (in a low stress and supportive environment) before actually beginning in August. If you have any questions, please email [email protected]

Has anyone gotten the secondary from this school? I know Pomona is starting to send theirs out so I was just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten the secondary from this school? I know Pomona is starting to send theirs out so I was just curious.
I talked to them recently, they just started reviewing applications a week ago. They should be going out anytime!

I just logged into banweb to check on my COMP-P application and noticed that there is an application already filed with Lebanon as well. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
I just logged into banweb to check on my COMP-P application and noticed that there is an application already filed with Lebanon as well. Anyone else?
Same for me

Reactions: 1 user
Are you guys saying you submitted you app to one school, yet the other schools secondary was marked as complete as well????
No... Submitted to both but only received a secondary invite to Pomona despite the status shown on banweb.

Breaking news ! I just got a secondary from COMP-NW!! Via email for those who were wondering

I called today as I hadn't seen one yet either, and they told me to wait 5 more days.

I received the secondary today! I'm kind of confused though- I applied to both Lebanon and Pomona, so does that mean I need to submit two separate secondaries? The email I received today doesn't specify which program it is for though, so I'm assuming it's for both?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 4.17.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 4.17.32 PM.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 167
Members don't see this ad :)
I received the secondary today! I'm kind of confused though- I applied to both Lebanon and Pomona, so does that mean I need to submit two separate secondaries? The email I received today doesn't specify which program it is for though, so I'm assuming it's for both?

Can you post the secondary essay questions? Are they the same for both campuses?

yeah same, I created both just by clicking add, one for each campus....same questions.

Essay prompts?

While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you?

What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?

Describe why you see yourself as a great “fit” for our school.

Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm gonna call again Monday about NW campus secondary, I too have both showing in my status but haven't got the second invite, and on the page it says something about not creating a second one

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'm OOS and got a secondary today, but not from the Pomona campus.

how do you guys pay for the secondary here...

EDIT: According to their instruction you should have to write another application if you also applied to Pomona. They will just use your answers from Pomona. But how do I pay for the new secondary?

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of confusion on here about the secondaries :

1) the secondaries are by invite only just because you got one from Pomona doesn't mean Lebanon wants one from you. Both schools have different screening and cut offs.

2) the questions are different, they told me if you copy what you put from Pomona into the Lebanon app they will know and it looks bad

3) you have to create 2 separate applications and pay separately

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1) the secondaries are by invite only just because you got one from Pomona doesn't mean Lebanon wants one from you. Both schools have different screening and cut offs.

2) the questions are different, they told me if you copy what you put from Pomona into the Lebanon app they will know and it looks bad

3) you have to create 2 separate applications and pay separately

Hey - Should I create a new application for the Lebanon campus? I am invited to both secondaries but I saw that there is a processed Lebanon application even though I didn't create/submit it. On the instruction form it states not to create two app for one program in one term...so I'm confused lol

The processed application is your primary

You will notice that when you create a secondary application for Lebanon the questions are different than the one from Pomona.

They are not the same questions.

You're right, sorry. Just re-looked at the prompts and only a few of the questions are the same... here are the ACTUAL questions:

While shadowing a Physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
web_required_cascade.png

What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest?
web_required_cascade.png

Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.
web_required_cascade.png

Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.
web_required_cascade.png

Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.
web_required_cascade.png

To clear up since I just went through this whole thing and talked with admissions - YES you need to create another application, but only AFTER you receive an email inviting you to (two emails, one for each campus. They prescreen and make sure you are eligible). So even if you see two applications on the landing page, if you haven't received an email invite, you shouldn't create an app.

Seriously? Some of the questions are exactly the same...

Seriously? Some of the questions are exactly the same...
yeah I am working so hard to come up with something different for those questions. Maybe they want us to see things from a different perspective :p

yeah I am working so hard to come up with something different for those questions. Maybe they want us to see things from a different perspective :p
They want you to realize that while the schools are the same the campuses are not. There are different clubs and a different atmosphere.

Is talking about no sales tax in why Pacific NW/Oregon good? I mean realistically it could lessen the burden as a medical student.

Is talking about no sales tax in why Pacific NW/Oregon good? I mean realistically it could lessen the burden as a medical student.

Haha trust me it doesn't. They have raised the cost of living here so high it's not any less of a burden .

They have already started , when did you apply? I know as of July 20th they had over 1200 applications so they changed their cutoffs for screening.

I just got a secondary about 3 days ago and was planning on submitting it today. Do you know what their avg MCAT is? I'm at 509 so idk how competitive that is compared to their class.

As a re-applicant who answered these same exact prompts last year... I am struggling with the fact that my answers have not changed. I could possibly rewrite them from a slightly different perspective, but I'm feeling stuck. Any advice?

So, sent my secondary last week for Lebanon and I'm now just waiting the long game here. I'm a non-trad, worked full time as an interpreter, and was a full time student. Hope that counts for something.

So, sent my secondary last week for Lebanon and I'm now just waiting the long game here. I'm a non-trad, worked full time as an interpreter, and was a full time student. Hope that counts for something.
I am also non-trad, work full time and am a full time grad school student. I have talked to admissions a lot and they like our "kind" of applications :)

Reactions: 2 users
As a re-applicant who answered these same exact prompts last year... I am struggling with the fact that my answers have not changed. I could possibly rewrite them from a slightly different perspective, but I'm feeling stuck. Any advice?

Focus on what you have done in the last year that's different? Have you shadowed more? Volunteered more? etc

@AlteredScale

Please limit each of your answers in this section to 1650 characters or less
You're right, sorry. Just re-looked at the prompts and only a few of the questions are the same... here are the ACTUAL questions:

While shadowing a Physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
web_required_cascade.png

What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest?
web_required_cascade.png

Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.
web_required_cascade.png

Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.
web_required_cascade.png

Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.
web_required_cascade.png

It's kind of ridiculous that they expect us to answer differently for the why Lebanon and why are you a good fit, because on their website, their bullet points for Why Choose Western U is the EXACT same. I mean really? I put that I am a good fit because I have lived by the concept of treating patients as people first. If both schools have that as a core concept, do y'all think I can just use the same essay? Like it doesn't seem like they even tried to differentiate the schools on their website.

EDIT: Went through the testimonials of students, staff and fellows. Got some pretty good info.

Last edited:
I just received an email saying that their records show my application is missing required materials. When I open the portal and check the application status it says that they have not received any of my letters of recommendations (i submitted my secondary on 8/11). Incidentally when I check the application status of the application for Pomona (which I havent actually submitted yet) it says that they have received the Committee Letter and for the DO letter it says "need physician letter on letterhead with signature(*name*)"... Does anyone know what I should do? Are the letters still coming into WesternU Lebanon? What is the deal with the message regarding the DO letter? I have received II from other schools so I assume that everything was good but I did not see the letter of course to see if there was a letter head? How should I resolve this issue if it is one?

Can any current students expand on the curriculum? Does the gross anatomy go through each system in the two years? I see it is offered just first semester of first year on the course catalog.

I just received an email saying that their records show my application is missing required materials. When I open the portal and check the application status it says that they have not received any of my letters of recommendations (i submitted my secondary on 8/11). Incidentally when I check the application status of the application for Pomona (which I havent actually submitted yet) it says that they have received the Committee Letter and for the DO letter it says "need physician letter on letterhead with signature(*name*)"... Does anyone know what I should do? Are the letters still coming into WesternU Lebanon? What is the deal with the message regarding the DO letter? I have received II from other schools so I assume that everything was good but I did not see the letter of course to see if there was a letter head? How should I resolve this issue if it is one?

Had the same issue . Learned not every school requires letterhead and physical signature that's why other schools accepted them . Had to have my MD resubmit. I would do it ASAP it takes another 10 days to get processed.

Had the same issue . Learned not every school requires letterhead and physical signature that's why other schools accepted them . Had to have my MD resubmit. I would do it ASAP it takes another 10 days to get processed.

Would he just resend it then to AACOM and then it will automatically get forwarded to the schools? I wanna figure everything out before I send him an email about it.

Thanks