Western University of Health Science Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnywon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.
I just wanna confirm...
Is western univ. supplemental application open?
I checked its website, but it still says "available summer 2010"
just wondering....
anyone has idea?
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

so far, it's not open yet, we have to wait i guess.

i don't think it opened up this early for us when we filled it out last summer. just keep checking back with them every now and then. in the mean time, you could probably start answering the supplemental questions. As I recall, we had the same questions from the previous year. They just updated the form by changing the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think it opened up this early for us when we filled it out last summer. just keep checking back with them every now and then. in the mean time, you could probably start answering the supplemental questions. As I recall, we had the same questions from the previous year. They just updated the form by changing the year.

Can you access to the questionaires and recommendation form right now?
When I visited the website, those linkes were inactive.

Haven't heard anything about their supplemental forms up yet.

Just to let everyone know, I called Western today and the lady I spoke to said it should be available by the end of the month which is basically the end of this week. :)

Just to let everyone know, I called Western today and the lady I spoke to said it should be available by the end of the month which is basically the end of this week. :)

Thanks for letting us know! I was confused at first because when I e-mailed them, they said the app would be up on July 1st! I thought maybe my browser was off or something.

Thanks for the update! :thumbup:

Just double checking, is Western's supplemental application still not open?

Nope. Glad it isn't either...Just finished all my other apps and I need a break!

I called today and they said it'll be up either this week or next.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will probably start on it after my summer class ends on Thursday :)

I was checking out the checklist that Western has, and it seems to me that Western doesn't want the recommendation letters in pharmcas and has its own separate recommendation evaluation form? Does that mean the applicants must go to their professors and/or pharmacist once more?:eek:

I was checking out the checklist that Western has, and it seems to me that Western doesn't want the recommendation letters in pharmcas and has its own separate recommendation evaluation form? Does that mean the applicants must go to their professors and/or pharmacist once more?:eek:

Yes, I called them awhile back and they want all the recommendation letters sent to them directly. Were you able to open the recommendation evaluation form or any of the other links on that page besides the secondary application? It wasn't working when I tried...

Yes, I called them awhile back and they want all the recommendation letters sent to them directly. Were you able to open the recommendation evaluation form or any of the other links on that page besides the secondary application? It wasn't working when I tried...

Yes, I was able to open all of the links that Western posted on its website besides the secondary application.

Do you know if it is a new approach that they take this year for not taking recommendation letters from PharmCas and want those to be sent directly to them?

:( this REALLY sucks. it'll also be weird handling your own confidential rec letter...

and yeah, i was also able to open all the forms.

I know for a fact they did not take letters from pharmcas last yr cuz my friend told me, not sure about how it has been in the past.

Also, the forms weren't opening on my mac but it worked on the pc, so maybe you might have the same problem.

I know for a fact they did not take letters from pharmcas last yr cuz my friend told me, not sure about how it has been in the past.

Also, the forms weren't opening on my mac but it worked on the pc, so maybe you might have the same problem.

I have a mac and it didn't open on Firefox. It worked when I opened it with Safari :thumbup:

That's so inconvenient how Western won't just take the LORs from Pharmcas. It's just more work for the applicants to do :(

Firefox doesn't open the links but internet explorer definitely does.

That's so inconvenient how Western won't just take the LORs from Pharmcas. It's just more work for the applicants to do :(

I agree with you because that just a hassle for the professors, who could be busy afterward. I'm still not sure how to ask them againnn...:(

I agree with you because that just a hassle for the professors, who could be busy afterward. I'm still not sure how to ask them againnn...:(

Yeah, I have to bother my references once more as well :thumbdown:

yes that's how it was last year. not all schools are associated with pharmcas so some may require separate letter of recs. it shouldn't be a big deal since your references have already written the letter for you. just give them a stamped envelope and have them send another copy. it's not like you're asking them to write you another letter.

do the recommenders send the letters directly to Western? from the website, I thought we collect the letters and send it in...?

do the recommenders send the letters directly to Western? from the website, I thought we collect the letters and send it in...?

The letters should be mailed-in along with our application packet :thumbup:

For Western's personal questionnaires, does anybody know how long they should be because there are small boxes next to each question? I'm assuming they want a paragraph for each question? ;)

For Western's personal questionnaires, does anybody know how long they should be because there are small boxes next to each question? I'm assuming they want a paragraph for each question? ;)

+1

does anyone know?
i'm assuming the same as you slowpepper.

+1

does anyone know?
i'm assuming the same as you slowpepper.

I'm actually writing a paragraph for each. Depending on the question, I elaborate more if a question asks "HOW"...hope it helps clarify your uncertainty, too. ;)

So I’ve been doing a lot of research online for pharmacy schools and I can across Western University in southern California. It looks really good. It’s a private school so it’s pretty expensive, but at the same time it is accredited. The thing I really like about this school is the way the classes are set up. Instead of having a semester of 5-6 different classes, they actually have 6-9 week blocks of classes that focus on disease states one at a time, same with the meds. They really focus on you learning and mastering one area of pharmacy before you move on to the next. And you actually start your clinicals in the first year. It’s still a fall and spring semester 4 year school.
Are there any current WesterU students on these threads or anyone else looking to apply here?

Here is their link
http://prospective.westernu.edu/pharmacy-pharmd/welcome

So I’ve been doing a lot of research online for pharmacy schools and I can across Western University in southern California. It looks really good. It’s a private school so it’s pretty expensive, but at the same time it is accredited. The thing I really like about this school is the way the classes are set up. Instead of having a semester of 5-6 different classes, they actually have 6-9 week blocks of classes that focus on disease states one at a time, same with the meds. They really focus on you learning and mastering one area of pharmacy before you move on to the next. And you actually start your clinicals in the first year. It’s still a fall and spring semester 4 year school.
Are there any current WesterU students on these threads or anyone else looking to apply here?

Here is their link
http://prospective.westernu.edu/pharmacy-pharmd/welcome

They really are very expensive. I think tuition runs about 60k-70k per year for the 4 years.:eek:

They really are very expensive. I think tuition runs about 60k-70k per year for the 4 years.:eek:

:wow: Thats just STUPID!!!! NO school should cost that much!!
I like the block schedule, but not about to pay more then my house for school! It would be cool if other public schools would adopt the block schedule, but not if they are going to charge that much!

:wow: Thats just STUPID!!!! NO school should cost that much!!
I like the block schedule, but not about to pay more then my house for school! It would be cool if other public schools would adopt the block schedule, but not if they are going to charge that much!

You could check their tuition rates again. Not sure if anything has changed since then.

I'm a P1 at Western and our tuition is around 41K for the year. We were offered around 63K in loans which includes all your expenses; room & board, transportation, books, personal expenses, ect.

WAIVER OF RIGHT OF ACCESS
TO CONFIDENTIAL STATEMENTS

-Do we have to sign this part or can we just leave it blank. I was thinking of just sending my professors the link of this.

The letters should be mailed-in along with our application packet :thumbup:

Thanks! I was wondering the same thing.

Anyways, do you guys know when they consider your application "complete?" Is it when you turn in the online supplemental part or they have to receive everything including the application packet we mail (cus I'm having trouble getting a hold of my references :()

-Do we have to sign this part or can we just leave it blank. I was thinking of just sending my professors the link of this.

On the application checklist page it says under LOR: "Three recs are required. Sign the waiver portion on each rec form."

Ya I know what you mean! I was going to just give the rec form as an attachment in e-mail to my references. Now I need to see how they can fit me into their schedule so I can 1) hand them the forms 2) pick it up when they are done! :lame:

40k/yr just in tuition is absolutely ridiculous. And asking for LOR's again even though its already up on pharmCAS is very inconvenient! I am applying though because I like the block system, and its right up the street from where I live.

Thanks! I was wondering the same thing.

Anyways, do you guys know when they consider your application "complete?" Is it when you turn in the online supplemental part or they have to receive everything including the application packet we mail (cus I'm having trouble getting a hold of my references :()

your application is complete when EVERYTHING is sent in including pharmcas and supplementals and your references too. I am a reapplicant so I've been through this already last year. Western is very good at keeping their applicants informed during the application process. They send you an email everytime they receive something, e.g. supplemental, pharmcas. When they receive your application they will tell you what you are "lacking," if any.

regarding references make sure your recommender has filled out the evaluation form and put it together with your letter of recommendation in a sealed envelope with their names signed over the seal. for me I used my schools letter of rec service so I had all my recommenders mail their letters to my school and Western does not require that my recommenders fill out the evaluation forms because my school (UC Irvine) is sending all the letters as one packet. if your school has such a service, check with them and ask if Western requires the evaluation form from them.

Great...I'm such an idiot. I mailed in my application packet yesterday but forgot the application fee. -____-

Hopefully I can mail the check in separately :xf:

Hey guys,

Does any of you who has completed the supp apps for Western know what the word limit is for the questions? For last year it was what ever that you could see w/o scrolling up and down in the PDF file. This year, with the new system its kind of hard to figure out. I don't know why Western does not specify the word or character limit, just like all the other schools??
your input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Art

Hey guys,

Does any of you who has completed the supp apps for Western know what the word limit is for the questions? For last year it was what ever that you could see w/o scrolling up and down in the PDF file. This year, with the new system its kind of hard to figure out. I don't know why Western does not specify the word or character limit, just like all the other schools??
your input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Art

I went over the limit and the system said it's 2000 characters.

40k/yr just in tuition is absolutely ridiculous. And asking for LOR's again even though its already up on pharmCAS is very inconvenient! I am applying though because I like the block system, and its right up the street from where I live.

Lol...
I thought the same thing when i was applying.... My recommenders told me that they just printed out their pharmcas letters and submitted them along with the supplemental paper. One of my LOR from the pharmacist was lost for whatever reason and had to be resubmitted. And here I am a p3 hoping i pass the next 6 blocks and go on rotations in January. Time flies extremely fast when you're on the block schedule, which p1 is really isn't at western. I became very comfortable at western. It's very easy to get involved in clubs and i was lucky to meet great classmates. Majority of the professors here care a lot about the profession and teaching. I am from LA, so pomona being close to LA was definitely a major plus. The school built a brand new building for the other programs so now the pharmacy has its own building and plans to build a compounding lab and a better research lab, so i think the future is looking bright for WesternU. They just opened a huge clinic, which is pretty nice. We are not on the level of USC, UCSF, UCSD, etc but I think this is school respected by most chains and hospitals in the area, and is one of the older ones in CA. This school also offers other health professional degrees: DO, DDS, PT, NP, DVM, OD, Podiatry, etc. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Would Western likely reject a recommendation form if the following section is not signed by a witness?

This section is located on page 2 of the recommendation form.