This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the biology requirement for incoming P1's or people who are applying in the next cycle?
Yes, it is. But please be specify which biology class are you talking about.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone still waiting for any sort of update from Western? I submitted my application a while ago and I still haven't even received an email saying my application is being evaluated.

Is there anyone still waiting for any sort of update from Western? I submitted my application a while ago and I still haven't even received an email saying my application is being evaluated.
Mee too

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't there another interview on 12/12/15? If so, anyone on the AC list heard back?

Hello, I applied both PharmCas and supp app on July just got an interview for Jan 30th, anyone got an interview on that day?

Hello everyone who already accepted to the program: how long did it take to hear back from them after interview? thanks

Hello everyone who already accepted to the program: how long did it take to hear back from them after interview? thanks
About one week, by e-mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone got any update from Jan 30th interview?

I've got none so far

Last edited:
Has anyone got any update from Jan 30th interview?

I've got none so far

I haven't heard anything back either. one of the students there said it took them about two weeks to get back to him.

I received an acceptance yesterday 2/8 @ 4:51pm after interviewing on 1/30.

If you haven't interviewed or are researching on these forums for the following year, from what I saw, after interviewing with 3 schools including Western, is to prepare but also be yourself. I think my biggest downfall in my first interview was trying to say what I thought was an appropriate answer versus what I really wanted to say. I'm sure there are other multiple factors in making a decision on an applicant though. Good luck to everyone else.

I got into altenate list from 01/30 interview. Does anybody know how "altenate" works? This waiting game is being extended:confused:

I got into altenate list from 01/30 interview. Does anybody know how "altenate" works? This waiting game is being extended:confused:
From what I understand, you'll be on the wait list until people decide to go elsewhere and gives up their seat, which can go up until August-ish.

I would be hopeful but also have a back-up plan. UCSD and UCSF, from what I believe, don't make their decisions until late March/early April. So there might be an X amount of people who decide to opt out of their seats for those schools instead or if they were waitlisted for USC or UOP or whatever schools and they end up getting in, with those being their priority.

Then you get the people who decide they no longer want to pursue pharmacy or who have personal problems as to why they can't attend school, so their seats are given up. A buddy of mine said there was a person who attended the first week of pharmacy school with them and then withdrew because their priority school contacted them and let them know they got in from the wait list. I don't know how the priority of waitlist goes though, from top-to-bottom.

Thanks,pyan9, I'd appreciated it !
I just wonder how they rank the students in alternate list b/c the email said they don't rank students, but how do they select whom off the list to get accepted if there is no rank.
That is getting me now lol.:panda:

I just wonder how they rank the students in alternate list b/c the email said they don't rank students, but how do they select whom off the list to get accepted if there is no rank.
I had my interview on 1/31. Received the alternative list feb 8th. So yeah. I am also nervous about this. But another hand, I got accepted in Roseman U and paid deposit. Does anybody know how long the alternative list takes?

Does anyone know official facebook address for c/o 2020?

Do you think applicants on the AC list will have chances of getting?

I just came back from their interview over the weekend and I believe one of the admissions staff members said that they basically just go back and review all of the applicants on the alternate list. Or at least that's how I understood her answer when a student asked about it. So yeah, they don't rank the students :/

Has anyone who was placed on the waitlist after their interview heard back?

Has anyone who was placed on the waitlist after their interview heard back?
There's a fb page with 3 admins and a total of 115 members (previously 116) I'm not sure if this includes the 3 admins (who seem to be p2+).

Waiting until early April to see if I hear back from any other schools and I'm sure others may be too, so be hopeful.

good luck guys! I was interviewed and accepted about 8 years ago. I have no regrets about attending. Western is a good school with a great board passing rates, low failure rate, good class scheduling, and solid rotation availability. If you have any questions, I can try to answer them.

do you think that those that graduate Western will not face the same problems as most pharmacists?
i have read some of your previous posts warning about pharmacy so your optimism for this specific program is a little surprising
especially since western is on the expensive side

Has anyone who was placed on the alternate list after their interview heard back?

do you think that those that graduate Western will not face the same problems as most pharmacists?
i have read some of your previous posts warning about pharmacy so your optimism for this specific program is a little surprising
especially since western is on the expensive side

First, you are misinterpreting and spinning my statement. Or perhaps just some wishful thinking on your part, understandable. I don't think there is any school that can immune their students from facing the cruel reality of today's, and most important for you, the future job market for RPh. I am a WesternU grad who graduated 5 long years ago, when I started attending WesternU, tution was 35K (not that it matters). What matters is that WesternU is still one of CA's original 4 school with a solid reputation/rotations/faculty/alumni's. Attending WesternU will not hurt your chances of pursing any professional endeavors . Our dean, stood up and publicly said 6 years ago that the profession can not absorb 4 more new schools in CA. Fast forward to now, the profession is worse than it has ever been (I will post link to support this statement). The biggest problem with the profession that I didn't know is its dependency on retail chains. The chains are consolidating, Rite Aid is projecting closure of 1,000 stores, RPh aren't getting their full time hours, there is very very few RPh who are over 40 yrs old working at a chain. Usually 1/3 to 1/2 of grads go to work for chains upon graduation, only about 1/4 of students get residencies.... Chains are now mostly offering grads part time offers. Sure, there are certain areas that still need RPh, but how soon until these areas are filled? So, odds are you will a part of this 1/2 of your classes hopeful to get a part time offer from a chain and live the stressful life of a chain pharmacist having spent 8 years in school and almost 300K. Is that what you really want? I see pharmacy as a stock that's dropping rapidly and going to bottom out in the next decade. Like in life, timing is everything. If your graduating year is 2020, the inaugural classes of KGI, Westcoast, California, and Chapman will already occupy some of these chain jobs that you are hopeful for. You can tell me all you want that you are going to be a clinical pharmacist, but odds are that you will be a chain pharmacist, at least when you graduate. I know your mind is proly already made up, but just bringing to your attention that you may want more return on your investment since odds are you proly have at least 40 years left in your future career. The deans of these new schools are nothing short of being snake oil salesman. In particular, just read this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-of-pharmacy-interview.1177883/#post-17587273 .... This assistant dean was selling students on need for clinical pharmacist to do MTM last year, now he is saying he is in the business of offering CA students an opportunity to stay in CA.

I will leave you with these links, then you decide.

1. The new BLS report states that the pharmacy job growth is projected to be slower than average compared to other professions. Projected to be less than 3 percent over the next 10 years .
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacists.htm

2. Pharmacy Time magazine published that the demand for pharmacists plunged to all time low in the last 10 years.

3. Drugtopics magazine states that number of grads outnumber job openings.
http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...t-should-be-done-about-oversupply-pharmacists

Reactions: 1 users
^^ THIS so much of this.

For those of you who want to do pharmacy and know you want to do it, god bless your soul because we need good pharmacists. However, I can't comment with any certainty for what will be left for you by 2020. You may have heard of SB493 which is supposed to broaden the scope of practice for pharmacists. This will allow pharmacists who have residencies to adjust meds, start meds, and order labs. SB493 was supposed to be the second coming of pharmacy. However, if you ask any pharmacist who works in hospital settings, they were already doing this and if you have this capacity to do this at a retail setting, you're already overqualified. SB493 now holds pharmacists accountable for these things we were already doing. Sure SB493 is supposed to be the second coming for pharmacy, but you'll need provider status to take advantage of it and like the post above me, be part of the "25%." Prior to passing SB493, pharmacists wanted it so badly. There was a HUGE political movement and much push back from the medical community. You'd think that after passing it, pharmacists would be ready to put this new provider status to use right away since we wanted it so badly, right?. However, the field as a whole has, and is still asking, "What does this mean for us?" As far as I know, provider status has just let us bill insurance companies directly for cognitive services. That does not mean that they will. Drugs and money always seem to go hand-in-hand. For those of you who are on the fence, please, I am begging you to either not attend, or make sure by the time you take on these massive loans that you want to do pharmacy school for sure. There is no in between. If you wanted to get into the healthcare field to 'help' people, you're going to need to be more specific. Bagging groceries is helping people, so is being a cashier. If you wanted to help people on a healthcare level with a personable touch pharmacy isn't it. Trust... Retail companies push metrics on you, you'd be lucky to spend time with patients the way you wanted to. If it isn't the company pushing to fill faster, then its CMS dinging you for your patients not remember to take their blood pressure, cholesterol or diabetes meds. You're hired to check off medications. If you were in a hospital setting, pharmacists aren't even in on the discussion of patient care. You're likely stationed at a computer clicking and processing orders all day.

For the comment about USC versus Western, contrary to what you believe, your chance in residency is much more than where you attend. It is even more than grades. There is this baseless notion that you need to be Rho Chi, with a 4.0, from either SF, SD, UOP, or other 'name brand school' to make it to residency. This couldn't be further from the truth. You can get a residency with 3.0 grades, extracurricular activities and good rec letters. However, be aware. I have had friends who did a residency only to end up not using it because of how the market looks right now. So if you want that name brand school for more, I can't stop you. Just keep in mind that 200k+ needs to be paid back with interest. Also keep in mind, not all pharmacy schools carry the same interest rates.

Lastly, I wanted to give insight to those who are applying to pharmacy school what a pharmacist does. They interact more closely with their meds and computers than patients in most settings. Its not to say they don't know anything regarding patients, but that isn't their main focus when compared to other disciplines. Pharmacists check for DDIs, cheaper drug alternatives, deal with insurance, look for alternatives drugs during shortages, P&T committee, adjust medications (assuming you are ambulatory care), MTM, and give recommendations to physicians and patients, dose warfarin, aminoglycosides and vanco, do medication reconciliation (call a patient pharmacy and ask them for the name, the dose and directions of the medications they are on). If any of these sound interesting to you, and you're ok with seeing doctors get treated like GODs (free hospital lunches, reserved parking spots, special reserved rooms for them to eat at with food that was prepared by the staff to go the extra mile), be unable to perform SOLID physical assessments, do a PGY1 and a PGY2 and realize, 'man one more year and I could have been a PCP, then please, by all means sign up for those loans. Strap yourself in, keep your hands and feet in at all times and good luck. I'll see you out there in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone on the alternate list heard back yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Has anyone on the alternate list heard back yet?

The whole FB is tripping me out but there are still quite a few people who haven't joined the FB page who have been invited from what I can see, 32 total. There were 5 people who joined the FB page a month ago though, so I'm assuming they may have been alternates... Just giving you anyone who is wondering a heads up. Those invited may have declined and accepted elsewhere though.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thanks! Do you know how they choose from the alternate list? Is it random?