Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now I'm going to be checking my school email daily hoping an unplanned flight from Florida to California isn't in the cards for me :(
This is how you can check if you're OK:

1. log into banweb
2. go to FINANCIAL AID SERVICES MENU (View Outstanding Requirements )
3. go to My Eligibility Menu
4. go to Student Requirements (you might have to pick 2014-2015 or something like that)

If anything shows up there then you have to take care of it ASAP. If not, then you are home free!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, just wondering if anyone had any updates on how full the class is at this point? I'm interviewing on April 17th.. last interview date this cycle. Just curious if I'm interviewing for the waitlist (if so, anyone know how many people are pulled from the waitlist every year, give or take?) or if some seats are still available?

Thanks for any info!

Hey, just wondering if anyone had any updates on how full the class is at this point? I'm interviewing on April 17th.. last interview date this cycle. Just curious if I'm interviewing for the waitlist (if so, anyone know how many people are pulled from the waitlist every year, give or take?) or if some seats are still available?

Thanks for any info!
Judging by the current size of the Facebook group minus a few current students it's looking like it's getting closer to capacity (possible already there).

Members don't see this ad :)
Judging by the current size of the Facebook group minus a few current students it's looking like it's getting closer to capacity (possible already there).
Half the group is 2017 class and others posting rentals.

We have 192 members so far. If we assume 1/3rd of them are 1st and 2nd year students advertising their apartments and 4th year students selling their books, then we can say about 120-130 are incoming students.

I'm sure there are many others who didn't join the Facebook group, so I agree with you, it looks like the class of 2018 is almost full.

Ugh, I've been checking my mailbox religiously all week. Hoping for some good news.

We have 192 members so far. If we assume 1/3rd of them are 1st and 2nd year students advertising their apartments and 4th year students selling their books, then we can say about 120-130 are incoming students.

I'm sure there are many others who didn't join the Facebook group, so I agree with you, it looks like the class of 2018 is almost full.

Do you know what the size of the incoming class will be this year?

P.S. I didn't receive any emails for verifying citizenship but my Banweb financial aid thing says I needed to fill out a Direct Deposit form with bank info by Jan 30th. Oops.

P.S. I didn't receive any emails for verifying citizenship but my Banweb financial aid thing says I needed to fill out a Direct Deposit form with bank info by Jan 30th. Oops.

I expect it to remain the same, 220.

Reactions: 1 users

I saw that on my banweb the other day too and it took me like two seconds to fill out the direct deposit form. I think that you're reading the date incorrectly, I had that Jan 30th thing and I realized it wasn't the due date

Congrats on the ii! It never helps going into an interview thinking you're only doing it for the wait list spots. Do your best and enjoy your day here and know that there are others that would love to be in your place. Good luck!

Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the ii! It never helps going into an interview thinking you're only doing it for the wait list spots. Do your best and enjoy your day here and know that there are others that would love to be in your place. Good luck!
Thanks @swtmoonlght! I'm really excited they're giving me a shot. While I have been admitted to some other DO programs, Western is my first choice so I'm hoping for some good news!

I'm assuming II's are done here?
Someone said 17th was the last interview. Some people might not want to interview anymore and they could pick another, but realistically at this point I'd consider the cycle competed.

Someone said 17th was the last interview. Some people might not want to interview anymore and they could pick another, but realistically at this point I'd consider the cycle competed.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking! Not super interested in this school anymore (love it, but the location is no longer ideal), but would like to just have the waiting over!

Hmm, has anyone from the 3/20 interview date heard anything yet? I think it's been 15 business days...

Got my alternative list in the mail today. Obviously wish I received that acceptance. 3/20 interviewed.

3/20 interview...alternate. Do you guys think this list will move?

Those of you who got placed on the alternate list, do you all reside in Southern California?

Got my letter today. Accepted!
:banana:

Congrats! Must have been one hell of a year to have to wait this long haha..

People who have received aid awards: was the credit check for the grad PLUS loan done prior to offering it to us or will our credit be checked once we accept it?

Congrats! Must have been one hell of a year to have to wait this long haha..

People who have received aid awards: was the credit check for the grad PLUS loan done prior to offering it to us or will our credit be checked once we accept it?
Great question. I'd like to know this as well. I figured it was already done for the Stafford and grad plus loans but I think that if you decided to go with the other options you need to do a credit check. Someone know if I'm wrong?

Can't be awarded a grad plus loan without being approved for one.

Can't be awarded a grad plus loan without being approved for one.
Someone told me FAFSA takes care of all the credit checks and other stuff necessary before they give you the award. As far as I know, you're right in what you imply: once awarded, you are in the clear.

I thought California had some rules concerning when you needed to make a DMV appointment upon moving to the state etc. There was a website I was reading that had all sorts of good information. http://www.ca.gov/HomeFamily/MovingToCA.html

So if you're out of state, is there any benefit in trying to become a California resident? I actually dont plan to return to my previous state, so.... :p

Thanks for the link but not sure it applies to students, you could be gone in four years (due to residency). The only benefit I could think of is if the tuition is cheaper, which it's not.

Establishing residency will make your life easier. Dealing with DMV and bi-yearly smog checks for your vehicle jump to mind right away. Not sure how residency will affect federal work study positions and California state income tax etc.

Thanks for the link but not sure it applies to students, you could be gone in four years (due to residency). The only benefit I could think of is if the tuition is cheaper, which it's not.

Establishing residency will make your life easier. Dealing with DMV and bi-yearly smog checks for your vehicle jump to mind right away. Not sure how residency will affect federal work study positions and California state income tax etc.
you have to get bi-yearly smog checks if you're moving in from out of state?!?

you have to get bi-yearly smog checks if you're moving in from out of state?!?

Makes sense, depending on what California's emissions tests laws are like, in some states you would have to drive back to get the emissions test using "state approved" places just to renew your car registration.

Road trip completed. Good news, I am indeed a citizen of the United States.

Here are some pics, you can see the daumier (the blue and white building still under construction) right across from the courtyard where they had the barbecue.

western1_s.jpg

western3_s.jpg

western2_s.jpg

Thanks for the pics @NuttyEngDude . I hadn't found any good ones on google when I was trying to verify if Western was in fact inside a strip mall. :D It looks a lot better than people say!

hehe yeah it started in a strip mall. I believe most of the strip mall buildings are now offices, including the bookstore (second picture). The lectures are actually in the newer Health Education Center built in 2010. The lecture halls are pretty modern and comfortable. The anatomy and omm are in an older building though which used to be a two story department store. I believe the last picture shows where students will most likely be spending most of their time, hustling between the building at the farthest end and the one immediately in the foreground but off picture to the right (not pictured). You can see the steps to the Health Education Center in that last photo. There's some nice looking westernu health education center pics on the internet.

Last edited:
I interviewed 3/20. Got a deferred acceptance today! The letter says since the interview they have received confirmations for a full class and are unable to offer acceptance for 2018 class. Instead I have been offered a seat in the 2019 class. Weird... It doesn't say anything about being on the wait-list for any seats this fall. But to answer any questions, it seems yes the class is now full.

Reactions: 2 users
Next year is better than nothing! Congrats.

so kinda random question but still relevant: does anyone know the ballpark estimate range of when Western's Lebanon campus will be expecting to get it's accreditation so that the Western campuses can separate (thus no longer necessitating us sharing lectures, class statistics, etc.)?

I interviewed 3/20. Got a deferred acceptance today! The letter says since the interview they have received confirmations for a full class and are unable to offer acceptance for 2018 class. Instead I have been offered a seat in the 2019 class. Weird... It doesn't say anything about being on the wait-list for any seats this fall. But to answer any questions, it seems yes the class is now full.

Do you have exceptional stats or something?

I didn't know Western U offered seats for 2019.

Does this mean that among the 4/17 interviewers, there will not be any outright acceptances offered?

Does this mean that among the 4/17 interviewers, there will not be any outright acceptances offered?
If the claim is true, yes. You could also hope someone drops because of an MD acceptance from a waitlist in May.

Do you have exceptional stats or something?

I didn't know Western U offered seats for 2019.

33 MCAT, 3.3gpa

Now here's the question. I have a seat at PNWU for this fall, but COMP is my preferred choice. Can I send COMP the deposit for next year, and get everything in order for PNWU and hope I get a spot if it opens up at COMP? Can you submit multiple deposits or are they part of a system that allows only one seat to be held at a time?

Decisions decisions, I really want to get going you know but I'd rather go to COMP

Last edited:
33 MCAT, 3.3gpa

Now here's the question. I have a seat at PNWU for this fall, but COMP is my preferred choice. Can I send COMP the deposit for next year, and get everything in order for PNWU and hope I get a spot if it opens up at COMP? Can you submit multiple deposits or are they part of a system that allows only one seat to be held at a time?

Decisions decisions, I really want to get going you know but I'd rather go to COMP

So you're not going to take the year off?

There's no deadline like there is for MD schools. Rather than deadlines you just have a massive deposit that is supposed to deter you from holding many acceptances.

You can get everything ready for PNWU and hold COMP until the very first day of class.

Congrats on the acceptance! This is a bummer to hear though. I interviewed on 4/17 and was really hoping to get an acceptance for this fall.. guess I'll have to wait and see until the letter comes in the mail. I've heard there is usually quite a bit of movement for Western up until the start of classes (?).

I spoke with Martha this morning and she confirmed that once deferred acceptances are being sent out, that means that the class is full :( She did mention that she was waiting on a few deposits though. Also a deferred acceptance means you are on the waitlist for this year also.