Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Essay prompts:

While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the
experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to
become an osteopathic physician?

What was your most memorable community service
activity and how did it impact you?

this was very helpful...thank you

do they mention a character limit?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email saying that they reviewed my file and have decided to not interview me at this time

Members don't see this ad :)
+1. The strange thing is I was most confident about getting an interview here of the schools that I applied.

I know the feeling... I've received a few of those emails myself.

When were you guys complete?

Yeah I've got some experience with these types of e-mails myself(they all turned out to be rejections for me).
Ready for review 8/26.

Yeah I've got some experience with these types of e-mails myself(they all turned out to be rejections for me).
Ready for review 8/26.

I assumed those letters were rejections. I got one like that from CUSOM..

It's just a hold?

Placed on hold via email today as well. Definitely pretty disappointed. This was one of my top schools by far. Even though there is a chance for an interview invite at a later date, I have a feeling it isn't going to work out.

It's just a hold?

Yeah, it's a hold. Email says "However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by telephone if you are selected for a future interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed."

Was complete 8/26 as well.

It's just a hold?
I'm sorry my post wasn't clear. I have received several "hold" type e-mails from various schools(re-applicant). By the end of the cycle the same schools that had placed me on a hold finally rejected me. Anyway, good luck and don't let up(whether it be with schoolwork or otherwise)

I've yet to hear news, good or bad. I was complete 8/12, got an "under review" email 8/26. Argh this sucks.

I got an email saying that they reviewed my file and have decided to not interview me at this time

There are a number of folks who received that email last year but eventually got in. In at least one case that I know of personally, it took the better part of a year ;) . So don't give up yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
For the part where it asks about physican contact information... What should I do if some of the physicians I shadowed moved or retired?

For the part where it asks about physican contact information... What should I do if some of the physicians I shadowed moved or retired?

My opinion: Do your best. Perhaps contact them to ask if you can use them as a reference and for updated contact info. If you've lost contact with them entirely I'd suggest omitting them unless you are desperate for references.

My opinion: Do your best. Perhaps contact them to ask if you can use them as a reference and for updated contact info. If you've lost contact with them entirely I'd suggest omitting them unless you are desperate for references.

I have about 8 physicians I shadowed so I could certainly replace 1-2 of them. It's just 4 of them were MD so I'm trying to put as many DO ones as I can.

The retired physician played a major role in me wanting to pursue the DO path. He is basically 80% of the 2nd essay prompt. Not sure if they would wonder why I omitted him.

Bah... I'm worrying over small details I suppose.

Placed on hold today, it is what it is, best of luck to everyone, I know a few of you already have other interviews so be proud of those!

If anyone has any questions for current students, I am an OMS-II. OOS 3.7 GPA 33R MCAT, applied fairly late because of LOR mix up (November) and Interview on St. Patricks Day (3/17).

PM for any curriculum, logistics, extracurricular, or interview questions. I'm involved with Student Government and several clubs.

Good luck with the application cycle. It is long and tedious. In my opinion, it is one of the hardest things about going to medical school. Keep your eye on the prize and remain positive. Negativity is poison.

If anyone has any questions for current students, I am an OMS-II. OOS 3.7 GPA 33R MCAT, applied fairly late because of LOR mix up (November) and Interview on St. Patricks Day (3/17).

PM for any curriculum, logistics, extracurricular, or interview questions. I'm involved with Student Government and several clubs.

Good luck with the application cycle. It is long and tedious. In my opinion, it is one of the hardest things about going to medical school. Keep your eye on the prize and remain positive. Negativity is poison.

Thank you for this. My application is only now complete due to a delay in one of my letters. It's good to know that didn't ruin my chances. :D Also good to know I won't be screened out for "too high" GPA/MCAT.

I think it's about a month. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

I believe they said first batch of decisions will be mailed out tomorrow or Monday?

Yikes that was fast.

Anyone know if we should expect a small or big letter? She talked about it during interview day but she just confused me more lol.

approximately what percent get accepted?

Is Western CA regionally biased? Michigan resident here

Is Western CA regionally biased? Michigan resident here

Nope. They are a private school and they say they treat all applicants the same.

However, the majority of matriculants are from CA. I think it is just student self-selection.

On their FAQs page, they say that they interview about 600 people per year and accept 400 for a class of 220ish.

i got waitlisted by nova this week. despite everyone saying if you interview early it's a shoe in for acceptance. hell they waitlisted like 70%. I wouldnt expect anything. if i get waitlisted here too that would be bad :scared:

i got waitlisted by nova this week. despite everyone saying if you interview early it's a shoe in for acceptance. hell they waitlisted like 70%. I wouldnt expect anything. if i get waitlisted here too that would be bad :scared:

They actually waitlisted more than 80%:(

Interview invite for October 10.

Interview invite for October 10.

Congrats. I will see you there!

Just wondering, did you just receive the invitation? Because I wsa invited nearly a month ago and Oct. 10 was the earliest date available.

Going to prepare as much as I can for my interview next Saturday. Hopefully I can pull it together for this interview and learn from my previous interview mistakes :luck:

Going to prepare as much as I can for my interview next Saturday. Hopefully I can pull it together for this interview and learn from my previous interview mistakes :luck:

Sep 28? Ill be at that one too. Good luck!

Isn't it MMI?

Has anyone gone to the campus tour Western offers roughly Mon-Wed-Fri? Is it worth going to?

What time should the interview day conclude? 8am-1pm? 3pm?

Also, the school's website states that they actively talk about placing students into competitive specialties, including surgery. That is their top listed selling point for why to choose WesternU. Does this school expect us to tell them we want to do Primary Care?

Do not be discouraged if you get wait listed. We learned at our interview day that students will be wait listed, but some get accepted. Just continually reupdate your application with anything new you are doing.

How important is it to prepare ahead of time for MMI? Is it a really good idea to formulate responses to specific scenarios, or to just be prepared to be a thoughtful and compassionate person? I get the sense that a lot of people are preparing and have read books or whatever on MMI, is it the kind of thing where you'll go down in flames if you just wing it?

What time should the interview day conclude? 8am-1pm? 3pm?

Also, the school's website states that they actively talk about placing students into competitive specialties, including surgery. That is their top listed selling point for why to choose WesternU. Does this school expect us to tell them we want to do Primary Care?

I think I posted earlier in the thread, but when I spoke to admissions they said the day would end about 2:00.