Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not supposed to say anything about what goes on inside. But even if I told you, I bet they change it anyway. You go in by yourself though and they were only 5 minutes long with 1 minute to prepare (which seemed like more than enough time).

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get to stop by campus this morning to wish you all luck, i decided to cycle up Mt. Baldy (huge mountain in the distance behind campus) this morning last minute. Hope everyone had a great time and best of luck in 2 weeks when you get your decisions!

Reactions: 1 users
Can people who've interviewed add their reviews to the WesternU SDN Interview Feedback page!? THANKS! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and fyi- My interviewers asked only questions that students listed on the survey (I prepped by practicing those questions and no questions in my interview were a surprise).

Oh and fyi- My interviewers asked only questions that students listed on the survey (I prepped by practicing those questions and no questions in my interview were a surprise).
So glad to hear it was such a great experience!! Mine is in two weeks so I'm hoping for the same. Quick question, what survey are you referring to? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews were amazing. It was actually above my expectations. My interviewers were very happy and engaging. It didn't feel awkward at all. The MMIs... well... just possible physician encounters... no way to prepare for them. Just practice communication skills like you would for interviewing or talking to patients maybe?

I wonder if we ran into each other... what color group were you =)

So excited I'm interviewing October 11! Anyone else on that day that may want to share a hotel room?

I wonder if we ran into each other... what color group were you =)

I was blue group, but based on what could be interpreted as creepy post history stalking, I'm pretty sure we walked into the building together, @Inygma :p Thanks for showing me the way! It was a pleasure meeting you.

I was blue group, but based on what could be interpreted as creepy post history stalking, I'm pretty sure we walked into the building together, @Inygma :p Thanks for showing me the way! It was a pleasure meeting you.
Was really nice breaking the ice with you, I hope you had a safe flight home, sorry I didn't get to say goodbye! Good luck on the rest of your cycle, maybe we'll end up at the same place =)

Agreed! I made it back home in one piece today, whew. Good luck to you, too! Fingers crossed for exciting mail from WesternU in 10-15 business days :)

Hi, I just got verified this week. How long before I should expect a secondary?

Hi, I just got verified this week. How long before I should expect a secondary?

I got mine 3 weeks after I submitted my primary but that was back in June. Maybe someone who submitted their primary recently could share when they received it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do schools do silly ice breaker games with applicants..or is that just a college orientation thing?

Do schools do silly ice breaker games with applicants..or is that just a college orientation thing?
No ice breakers on my interview, though none were needed. Everyone was more than willing to introduce themselves and to have a conversation. This includes the students there and the interviewees. I'd hope this is universal among schools since people skills are invaluable to a physician. All I can say for sure is Western was very welcoming and I felt like I got to know people there very fast just from one day!

No ice breakers on my interview, though none were needed. Everyone was more than willing to introduce themselves and to have a conversation. This includes the students there and the interviewees. I'd hope this is universal among schools since people skills are invaluable to a physician. All I can say for sure is Western was very welcoming and I felt like I got to know people there very fast just from one day!

Nice, I'm very excited to attend my interview next month. This is my top DO school....really hoping an ii translates to an acceptance!

Same here. There are only a couple of med schools that are reasonably cheaper that I think I would have to choose to minimize debt. But this is my top DO too. Been looking around rancho and ontario for good places to live and Rancho is really really nice. Falling in love with this place.

Same here. There are only a couple of med schools that are reasonably cheaper that I think I would have to choose to minimize debt. But this is my top DO too. Been looking around rancho and ontario for good places to live and Rancho is really really nice. Falling in love with this place.
Rancho is one of the nicest areas in the IE, but also a bit more expensive =). I'll be commuting from Fullerton if I get accepted, (orange county) and that is a viable option if you don't mind a 30 min commute.

Rancho is one of the nicest areas in the IE, but also a bit more expensive =). I'll be commuting from Fullerton if I get accepted, (orange county) and that is a viable option if you don't mind a 30 min commute.

Its funny... we knew it was most expensive but started looking for condos (we have kids) and we were finding 3 bedrooms in gated communities with garages and 1700 sqft for 1700... I was shocked.

Its funny... we knew it was most expensive but started looking for condos (we have kids) and we were finding 3 bedrooms in gated communities with garages and 1700 sqft for 1700... I was shocked.
Wow nice find! Much cheaper than Orange County... Like you I have a kid (well one on the way!), so have to look further away from school. Family is from Orange County though, so being close to the free babysitter is invaluable haha!

Wow nice find! Much cheaper than Orange County... Like you I have a kid (well one on the way!), so have to look further away from school. Family is from Orange County though, so being close to the free babysitter is invaluable haha!

I hear ya. My wife's fam is in Vegas and mine is in Arizona. Happy middle ground. Always hard to find baby sitters in a new area :oops:

Had my interview on Thursday as well and really enjoyed it! I was in the blue group :) Good luck to everyone who is interviewing, it was low stress and interesting!

1 week until we get our decisions. Goodluck guys! I could really see myself at western. Great program and great people.

They make decisions today and next thursday. So depending on how long mail from pomona takes to get to you, you should get mail either early next week or the week after

2 MMI 5 mins each. 1 minute prep time before each. 30 minite traditional interview

Got placed on hold via email today. Saddddddddddddddddd

I'm sorry to hear that. There is still hope!

If you don't mind me asking, how are your stats/EC's?
3.5both GPA, 26 mcat, Oregon resident with pretty good ECs.

Ya just gotta stay optimistic!

rejected. not feeling very optimistic right now. i just started my pod school app gahhhhhhhhhhhh. not to s*** on pod, it's just not my first choice (3.2 32)

rejected. not feeling very optimistic right now. i just started my pod school app gahhhhhhhhhhhh. not to s*** on pod, it's just not my first choice (3.2 32)
3.2sGPA isn't impressive but the 32 MCAT should get you some looks unless something is wrong or you applied too late or narrowly.

gahhh same here =\ good luck on the rest of your cycle

I'm sorry to hear that you were placed on hold. Don't lose hope, it's not over yet!

If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive your "Application Ready for Review" email?

I'm so confused. I received a rejection email on August 22nd then today I received a hold status. Is this uncommon?

I'm so confused. I received a rejection email on August 22nd then today I received a hold status. Is this uncommon?
Did you apply to both campus? Maybe it was one for each if that's the case.

I also received a rejection on August 22nd and a hold today. They were both from this campus (I double checked multiple times).

same here dkt888. Both from same admissions person. maybe we should call tomorrow to see whats up. yes I applied to both locations

Got placed on hold via email today. Saddddddddddddddddd
I was on a hold for about 6 months and got in. Don't assume you're out of the race!

Reactions: 2 users
Is "application materials received" the same as complete? I have not got an email from them since my status has changed.

Also, IIs come via email?

Is "application materials received" the same as complete? I have not got an email from them since my status has changed.

Also, IIs come via email?

IIs come via email. Even though I already interviewed my status is still "Application materials received" I did get an email that said "Application ready for review" about 8 days after submitting my secondary, but I submitted very early (mid-July)

IIs come via email. Even though I already interviewed my status is still "Application materials received" I did get an email that said "Application ready for review" about 8 days after submitting my secondary, but I submitted very early (mid-July)

Thanks!

I actually submitted then as well but it took my science prof a month to get her letter in!

Boom. Hold email. At preview day she basically said this was a good thing! Don't fret! She said that admissions usually takes max 2 weeks to decide, and once they reject you your application will no longer be considered. A hold just means that they have a lot of qualified applicants, and currently we "held" folks are considered qualified until further notice. :) thinking of you all!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Are these "hold" emails pre-interview?