Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When were you guys marked as "ready for review"? I'm getting so so so anxious because I still haven't heard anything and have been ready for review for a couple of weeks.
I think 8/15?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance, interviewed 8/28, IS, 3.8/31. I have a feeling I'll be coming here next year :)

Reactions: 8 users
Hey another first year here at Western. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there in state bias at this school? What percentage of matriculants are CA residents?

There's a large number of matriculants that are CA residents this year as most years but that's just because they have a lot more people applying that are coming from CA and the majority of them wanted to stay in state. There is no in state bias though, a good number the people I know are from out of state.

Received my acceptance letter in the mail today :)!!!!

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got put on hold as of 9/12. sGPA 3.3, cGPA 3.65, MCAT 28 9/10/9, lots of ECs, good letters.... Looks like most <30 MCAT's are getting hold everywhere..

Hey guys! Just dropping in to say hi! I'm a current first year at western so feel free to send questions along and forgive me if I take too long to answer. I have quite the unusual journey and it was really hard deciding between schools (particularly md vs do) but I couldn't be happier. Any questions along those lines are more than welcomed! Good luck everyone, fingers and toes crossed

Hey! I just got accepted here and really would love to attend. My only concern is that the DO degree will hurt me when I apply to residencies outside of SoCal. But otherwise, I loved the atmosphere at Western, and I can see myself as a student there. If you don't mind my asking, what made you choose Western in the end?

PS Sorry if I'm not doing this right... This is my first post.

Reactions: 1 users
I also got a hold email today. My stats arent that great either. 3.41, 3.21, 26 MCAT
does getting put on hold at this school mean they are waiting for updated grades or mcat? or just that you are in limbo until they feel like rejecting you?

does getting put on hold at this school mean they are waiting for updated grades or mcat? or just that you are in limbo until they feel like rejecting you?

I tend to be on the pessimistic side when it comes to this kind of notification in an admissions process, but it sounds like some people have been admitted after receiving this email (interviews in early 2015 probably).

Got put on hold as of 9/12. sGPA 3.3, cGPA 3.65, MCAT 28 9/10/9, lots of ECs, good letters.... Looks like most <30 MCAT's are getting hold everywhere..
When were you complete? Good luck!

I was recently accepted with a 27 (7/10/10) so don't lose hope based on your MCAT score. My grades are quite high, so maybe that's my saving grace, but basically I wouldn't rule out your chances even with the hold.

Hey! I just got accepted here and really would love to attend. My only concern is that the DO degree will hurt me when I apply to residencies outside of SoCal. But otherwise, I loved the atmosphere at Western, and I can see myself as a student there. If you don't mind my asking, what made you choose Western in the end?

PS Sorry if I'm not doing this right... This is my first post.
why would the DO degree hurt you when applying to residency programs?

Interview Invite today. :soexcited:

Interviewing Oct 23rd, anyone who already interviewed advice is appreciated!

Good luck to all who are applying!`

I'm not a huge SDN poster but thought I would share my info for people :)

28 MCAT (9 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS), 3.6-3.8cGPA, 3.5-3.6sGPA. Got interview invite 08/26, complete on 08/07 but been waiting on later October date so I will be interviewing Oct 23rd! Can't wait to meet you all :)

The merger recently occurred...but does that mean pd's who were once against accepting do's will suddenly have a change of opinion? That remains to be seen but I certainly wouldnt count on a complete elimination of discrimination as a result of the merger. @PreMedMatt

guys, i just got this email sent from Thamarra Navarro

Thank you for your application to Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. I regret to inform you that after careful review of your application and supporting documents, the Admissions Committee has decided not to offer you an interview for the DO 2019 class. I wish you the best of luck in your future educational endeavors.

Best wishes,

Susan M. Downes Hanson, MS
Executive Director of Admissions
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Department of Health Sciences Education

I'm not tooooooooooooo upset, since Western wasn't high on the list (though it's clearly a great school and big ups to everyone hoping to go)
but
does this mean game over at both campuses? i assume so

guys, i just got this email sent from Thamarra Navarro
I'm not tooooooooooooo upset, since Western wasn't high on the list (though it's clearly a great school and big ups to everyone hoping to go)
but
does this mean game over at both campuses? i assume so

Sorry to hear, but onto the next school!

Did anyone send their LORs to this school via interfolio. Mine were sent over two weeks ago and they still have not even added to my file.

Thanks

Just found the letter at a different address, Alternate :(

Anyone know how to get off? I really want to go to Western.

So, my AACOMAs application was complete on 8/2. I still haven't received my secondary from the school though! when I emailed the admissions office to ask if any of my files were missing, they say my file was complete, and they were reviewing my application at the time. This was a MONTH ago! I don't want to keep emailing them and bothering them, but I'm not really sure what to do. Should I assume I'm out of the running?

So, my AACOMAs application was complete on 8/2. I still haven't received my secondary from the school though! when I emailed the admissions office to ask if any of my files were missing, they say my file was complete, and they were reviewing my application at the time. This was a MONTH ago! I don't want to keep emailing them and bothering them, but I'm not really sure what to do. Should I assume I'm out of the running?
I think you should call again. If you haven't received a secondary there isn't any harm in calling.

does anyone know how long it takes for the letters to show up online? it has been close to two weeks since I turned in the letters and still has not shown up on my profile.

does anyone know how long it takes for the letters to show up online? it has been close to two weeks since I turned in the letters and still has not shown up on my profile.

I would like to know this as well!

Interviewing here October 23rd from OOS and in the unfortunate process of trying to find a hotel that can transport me to/from both the Ontario airport and the school while still being cheap. Anybody have recommendations? Do they offer student hosts?

Interviewing here October 23rd from OOS and in the unfortunate process of trying to find a hotel that can transport me to/from both the Ontario airport and the school while still being cheap. Anybody have recommendations? Do they offer student hosts?
I would recommend trying out Uber. It's a taxi-service company, and you can download an app for your phone. Way cheaper than taking a taxi and a lot more convenient. I was from out of state and had the unfortunate luck of paying $30 for a cab from the airport to a hotel that was 5 miles away.

I was also lucky enough to make friends before and during the interview day. Got a free ride from someone to and from the interview. Would recommend trying this! There are a lot of applicants from California that are there with cars who are friendly enough to offer a ride :thumbup:

I was stalking the thread from last year and it seem individuals were getting ready for review emails.

I only have received an email stating my secondary was received, not ready for review though all material is submitted.

Anyone from the cycle want to chime in?

Thanks.

I was stalking the thread from last year and it seem individuals were getting ready for review emails.

I only have received an email stating my secondary was received, not ready for review though all material is submitted.

Anyone from the cycle want to chime in?

Thanks.
I received a "ready for review" email 7 days after I received the "all materials received" email, then the interview invite about a week after that.

Does anyone know what the chances are for an II after being put on hold? This sucks man=/
Even with a >>30 MCAT

anyone knows how to get off hold here? Just got put on hold :/, complete 9/10

A hold is better than an outright rejection. And I can't imagine that there is something you can do to get off the "Hold" status other than wait patiently.

A hold is better than an outright rejection. And I can't imagine that there is something you can do to get off the "Hold" status other than wait patiently.

Ur right :). I was wondering if a letter of interest would help or something.