Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't think of that. If that is an option i'm going to start writing mine now. Haha. Good luck, hopefully we both get off of the hold list soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol, I sure hope so! ;) Has anyone got off the hold list yet?

Put on hold... 4.0/26 MCAT...I need to retake that test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I just got accepted here and really would love to attend. My only concern is that the DO degree will hurt me when I apply to residencies outside of SoCal. But otherwise, I loved the atmosphere at Western, and I can see myself as a student there. If you don't mind my asking, what made you choose Western in the end?

PS Sorry if I'm not doing this right... This is my first post.

First off, let me just say that if you're worried about limited residency opportunities as a DO, you shouldn't, especially at Western. Look at the match lists and you'll see that many people get placed in really great places. I don't really know why a DO degree will hurt you outside of SoCal but maybe thats just my limited knowledge (I'm only a first year). Some of the professors here are very involved in the merger that happened earlier this year so they have our best interests in mind but I honestly believe that by the time you'll be applying for residency, you won't have any troubles getting into your top choice just because you're a DO. I believe we recently matched someone in a UCI residency when traditionally UCI was kind of against accepting DOs. Honestly, at the end of the day, you get matched based on your own merits. There may be some old school directors that may still hold a little bias but your USMLE and COMLEX scores will speak for themselves (and this will change as well in the upcoming years, but these directors are definitely in the minority as far as I know).
As far as my choice, Western is a great school with great people. My classmates are pretty amazing and I really felt at home here. The location is fantastic because it offers the opportunity to really make a difference in your community and that's honestly what Western is all about. I was accepted to both MD and DO schools and in the end, it was all about which school I felt would make me a better doctor. I saw the difference in the "DO touch" as they call it and while all schools emphasize compassion and caring, I really saw it at Western. There's a bunch of other reasons as well but those really were the main ones. I really hope this clarifies things and if not, please feel free to ask! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know what kind of interview to acceptance percentage western has?

Approximately 60%
Less than that this year. They even said they're interviewing a lot more people this year. I thought I did well and I got waitlisted (post interview).
I'd say 40% or less

Reactions: 1 user
Less than that this year. They even said they're interviewing a lot more people this year. I thought I did well and I got waitlisted (post interview).
I'd say 40% or less

True things are different this year.
But that waitlist might be an acceptance down the line ;)
Last year was ~700 interviews ~400 acceptances for reference.

Reactions: 1 users
True things are different this year.
But that waitlist might be an acceptance down the line ;)
Last year was ~700 interviews ~400 acceptances for reference.
A wee bit nervous now lol

Im interviewing on Thursday...nervous myself!

how quickly do they get back to you after an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection email. I got my acceptance in mail exactly 2 weeks after my interview. I live close to Pomona though
congratulations! I live close to Pomona too, SGV area.

anyone know roughly what percent of interviewees are accepted?

Just gave up my interview for 10/23. Best of luck to all of you!

Flying out to Cali tomorrow morning, anyone else interviewing on the 25th?

Hi all, I received an interview but never got the email with the schedule for tomorrow. Can anyone post it here so I can show up on time? xD

Should I turn in a secondary here? cgpa: 3.64 sgpa: 3.60 mcat 25 (8/7/10) thanks!

If anyone is flying in for an interview on Oct 23, please PM me if you would like to split the cost for a taxi/hotel. Thanks!

Hi all, I received an interview but never got the email with the schedule for tomorrow. Can anyone post it here so I can show up on time? xD
In my email for interviewing(not tomorrow) i was told to arrive at 7:45 for my Saturday oct 11th interview.

However they didn't indicate how long the interview day was - if anyone who has already interviewed can let us know that would be great!

For anyone else who interviewed here today... what'd you think?

In my email for interviewing(not tomorrow) i was told to arrive at 7:45 for my Saturday oct 11th interview.

However they didn't indicate how long the interview day was - if anyone who has already interviewed can let us know that would be great!

They said the interview day would end at around 2:00PM but we got out a little earlier than that.

Got completion email today. Can anyone tell me what is the typical time interval between completion email and the interview invite? thanks

If anyone is flying in for an interview on Oct 23, please PM me if you would like to split the cost for a taxi/hotel. Thanks!

so I'm doing this--flying in from OOS-- but for some reason, SDN is saying I can't PM you.....? Maybe I'm just a newb.

You sign in in the HEC building and that's where you'll be registered, get your name badges and your day will begin. =D

Just got an email from Jaziel Camacho:

Thank you for applying for admission to Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. After careful review of your application and supporting documents, the Admissions Committee has decided not to offer you a place in this year’s class. I wish you good luck in your future educational endeavors.

Best wishes

This is AFTER I interviewed though and I thought the said that they send decisions via snail mail? I am confused.

Just got an email from Jaziel Camacho:

Thank you for applying for admission to Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. After careful review of your application and supporting documents, the Admissions Committee has decided not to offer you a place in this year’s class. I wish you good luck in your future educational endeavors.

Best wishes

This is AFTER I interviewed though and I thought the said that they send decisions via snail mail? I am confused.
Rejections were emailed for the first interview group. Sorry to hear.

I am just confused because it doesn't say anything about interviewing...it just says application and supporting documents? @Inygma

I also recently withdrew my Western-Lebanon application. Maybe that was an email for that campus???

I am just confused because it doesn't say anything about interviewing...it just says application and supporting documents? @Inygma

I also recently withdrew my Western-Lebanon application. Maybe that was an email for that campus???
Hmm that is a little weird... maybe ask one of the other people who received the email a few weeks ago to see if its the same one? I am not sure =(

Did anyone who INTERVIEWED at Western receive an email saying that they were declined admission?

I believe people in this thread have mentioned getting rejected post interview by email. That poster moonwake comes to mind...scroll back a couple pages.

I just saw that. It doesn't make sense though. I'm gonna call on Monday.

I interviewed Aug. 28th and got that email. They even gave me advice on what areas I needed to improve etc. It's a rejection email =(

Same here. I felt like I performed strongly in the mmi. How'd you feel overall?
Panel interview wasn't as stressful as I anticipated. I felt like I did okay, but the group of interviewers were being very friendly afterwards. Felt I did well on the MMI; the person in the first station told me I did great and that might be the reason why I didn't feel too hot coming out the second one when the guy said nothing after we were done. You?

Panel interview wasn't as stressful as I anticipated. I felt like I did okay, but the group of interviewers were being very friendly afterwards. Felt I did well on the MMI; the person in the first station told me I did great and that might be the reason why I didn't feel too hot coming out the second one when the guy said nothing after we were done. You?

Very similar...first mmi actor told me I did a good job afterwards. Second didn't say anything. Overall i feel i did a good job of engaging them woth questions and went out of my way to be empathetic to their situations. The panel interview wasn't bad and I felt my answers were good. I may have rambled a bit on one question but don't think I made any major missteps. The interviewers seemed kinda stoic the entire time so they were hard to read.