Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very similar...first mmi actor told me I did a good job afterwards. Second didn't say anything. Overall i feel i did a good job of engaging them woth questions and went out of my way to be empathetic to their situations. The panel interview wasn't bad and I felt my answers were good. I may have rambled a bit on one question but don't think I made any major missteps. The interviewers seemed kinda stoic the entire time so they were hard to read.

This is interesting because this is exactly word for word what happened to me/ how I felt. For reference I was waitlisted, but good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is interesting because this is exactly word for word what happened to me/ how I felt. For reference I was waitlisted, but good luck to you!

Ugh...I'm probably being irrational but now I'm ever more nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
Very similar...first mmi actor told me I did a good job afterwards. Second didn't say anything. Overall i feel i did a good job of engaging them woth questions and went out of my way to be empathetic to their situations. The panel interview wasn't bad and I felt my answers were good. I may have rambled a bit on one question but don't think I made any major missteps. The interviewers seemed kinda stoic the entire time so they were hard to read.

Clarification, so is the 2 mmi stations, actual role play scenarios? (i.e 15 year old patient presenting you with unplanned pregnancy, and how would you respond) Or is it like other school's mmi's where you are given a prompt and asked to respond to it to the person running the given station. (i.e. you overhear a colleague saying something inappropriate to a patient, how do you respond?)

Clarification, so is the 2 mmi stations, actual role play scenarios? (i.e 15 year old patient presenting you with unplanned pregnancy, and how would you respond) Or is it like other school's mmi's where you are given a prompt and asked to respond to it to the person running the given station. (i.e. you overhear a colleague saying something inappropriate to a patient, how do you respond?)

Wish I could help but we signed a confidentiality agreement that we wouldn't discuss details.

Fair enough, though it would be nice to know what kind it is, without obviously saying specific questions :p guess will find out. From my knowledge of other schools Mmi implied given a scenario and asked to respond.
Wish I could help but we signed a confidentiality agreement that we wouldn't discuss details.

How long did it take for you to receive secondary from this school. This is only school I haven't receive secondary from. Do they screen pre-secondary?

How long did it take for you to receive secondary from this school. This is only school I haven't receive secondary from. Do they screen pre-secondary?
It took only 4 days for me to receive their secondary app after my primary app was released to them. Yes, they strictly screen I believe !

It took me over a month to receive their secondary. I know some others waited a long time, as well.

I just called the admissions office today and they said that for people interviewed on 9/13, letters were just mailed out yesterday. Expect some news in the coming days!

Reactions: 1 user
I just called the admissions office today and they said that for people interviewed on 9/13, letters were just mailed out yesterday. Expect some news in the coming days!
Suppose that's good news then if you haven't received an email rejection yet then! From what I remember the rejection emails were sent out the same day the letters were mailed for the first round.

Suppose that's good news then if you haven't received an email rejection yet then! From what I remember the rejection emails were sent out the same day the letters were mailed for the first round.

I hope so. Still super nervous though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
II!

Complete 9/2. 3.74cGPA/3.9sGPA/35. CA Resident

Got the rejection here after the interview. Was accepted to the Western Lebanon campus and the rejection email was hiding in my WesternU email account that I just activated today. Looks like the rejection email was sent Friday 9/26.

Not really that bummed about it, seeing as I was much more impressed and would much rather attend the Lebanon campus. Just sucks I had to pay $500 for flight/trip down there to figure it out :/

soo are they ever gonna send out the letters for 09/13?
They sent out the letters on Monday it looks like. I'm assuming that if you don't have the rejection email by now, an acceptance is in the mail.

Accepted!!!! :) Received the letter in the mail this afternoon!!

Reactions: 2 users
Ughhhh so nervous just reading this. Interviewed on the 25th and also my top choice. .

Received my acceptance in the mail today!! Super thrilled. I live about 45 minutes away from campus; letter was postmarked 9/30.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the rejection here after the interview. Was accepted to the Western Lebanon campus and the rejection email was hiding in my WesternU email account that I just activated today. Looks like the rejection email was sent Friday 9/26.

Not really that bummed about it, seeing as I was much more impressed and would much rather attend the Lebanon campus. Just sucks I had to pay $500 for flight/trip down there to figure it out :/
If you're accepted to one campus, you get automatically rejected to the other one.

So it seems like a rejection email is sent out first...If people from your interview day have received those and you haven't, an acceptance letter is likely on the way?

So it seems like a rejection email is sent out first...If people from your interview day have received those and you haven't, an acceptance letter is likely on the way?
There are alternate list letters too.

Anyone from the 9/13 interview group receive a letter today? I'm in the Midwest, so I'm hoping I get something tomorrow! Impatiently waiting is an understatement lol.

Wait, what? Do they ever ask you what your preference is?
It's only if you actually accept one of the invitations. It says in my acceptance from Lebanon that if I send this in, I automatically resign from any potential offer from the Pomona campus. I just didn't get the offer from Pomona lol. I'm not from that area and I think they could tell I didn't seem too enthused to be there. Also the fact that I totally spaced on sending a thank you to my two interviewers.

Last edited:
They ask you on the secondary.
I don't recall being asked that on the secondary. I think that was the policy last year; however, I think this year is different. I could be wrong though.

I don't recall being asked that on the secondary. I think that was the policy last year; however, I think this year is different. I could be wrong though.
Maybe that's the case. I haven't seen this year's secondary.

Hey just wanted to give any OOS's a heads up if you're looking for a hotel. I'm coming in for an interview on the 23rd and have had the pleasure of working with Ayres Hotel Chino Hills. 1st, they have a discounted WesternU rate. 2nd, they have free airport transportation to/from your flights. You just need to give them a call (the sales department) within 2 weeks of your stay to provide them with flight information. 3rd, again if you speak with the sales department they are also able to offer a shuttle to/from the school too!

Now, I haven't gone yet, this is just what I've been told over the phone. So if anything doesn't go according to plan, I'll make an edit. But I've gotta say, for anyone else looking, this hotel has been a blessing so far cutting down expenses of travel.

Has it been the case that rejection emails + acceptance letters are sent out 2 weeks from interview date? I know they said 10-15 business days...but seems like it's ~10 business days or less...

Current students, how accurate is the budget on comp's website for books and supplies? (3,500 first year, 1,300 2nd year) How necessary are the books?

Has it been the case that rejection emails + acceptance letters are sent out 2 weeks from interview date? I know they said 10-15 business days...but seems like it's ~10 business days or less...
I received my acceptance exactly two weeks from my interview

I just received my acceptance today - exactly 15 business days from my interview so it may depend where you live/how fast the post office is delivering

I just received my acceptance today - exactly 15 business days from my interview so it may depend where you live/how fast the post office is delivering

When was it postmarked?

Current students, how accurate is the budget on comp's website for books and supplies? (3,500 first year, 1,300 2nd year) How necessary are the books?
lol who buys books? Just get your SOMA membership and have the free Thieme. The rest just work with the powerpoints.

For the most part, there isn't a lot of time to really go through the books. Just focus on power points. But if you absolutely must have the book, there are usually PDFs of the books floating around within the class you can get.

ACCEPTED!!! Just got the letter in the mail this morning. And I live in Maine so I expected a longer wait haha

But my letter says I got accepted to COMP-NW...I think it's just a typo cuz my Oregon interview isn't until November

Reactions: 1 users
But my letter says I got accepted to COMP-NW...I think it's just a typo cuz my Oregon interview isn't until November
Congrats, but I suggest messaging them. You don't want them to accidentally put you on the NW database and miss out on emails or something happen to your spot in the class. I've heard horror stories about mix-ups with ISAC.