Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did you explain that you didn't have any DO shadowing? I feel any reason I come up with sounds like an excuse (almost no DO in Canada, school/work/volunteer/finance doesn't allow me to cross border for DO shadowing).
Just talk about your MD shadowing and other clinical exposure to physicians.

Definitely don't go the excuse route, since many of us other Canadians have gotten DO shadowing and letters. Their response would not be favourable if you use that excuse. There is always time if you plan for it, and it could go a bad direction real quick if it comes off as an excuse.

Members don't see this ad.

Just filling out my secondary. I don't have a specific shadowing experience but have worked with doctors through being a clinical research assistant and a volunteer. Can I put down these experiences as shadowing?
Not if you haven't shadowed them.

I have worked with DO physicians in the ER. Not much difference in practice when it comes to speciality, aside from the personality trait differences. DO physicians in the ER tend to be MUCH more human. Well, my n=3 sample size is 3/3 at least! How do you discuss shadowing DO physicians in the ER when the differences are less obvious in specialty medicine? Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked with DO physicians in the ER. Not much difference in practice when it comes to speciality, aside from the personality trait differences. DO physicians in the ER tend to be MUCH more human. Well, my n=3 sample size is 3/3 at least! How do you discuss shadowing DO physicians in the ER when the differences are less obvious in specialty medicine? Anybody have any thoughts on this?
You discuss it how you did. A lot of osteopathic medicine prides itself on the patient centered approach and abandoning the old paternalistic ways. Humanism is extremely important for the boards to the point you may fail them by not showing enough humanism even if everything else was excellent.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who interviewed on 10/11 receive any mail yet? Looking at your local socal people! :)

Anyone who interviewed on 10/11 receive any mail yet? Looking at your local socal people! :)
No mail yet. Hopefully we will get some news this week. They said 10-15 business days, so it should be postmarked friday at latest.

Last edited:
No mail yet. Hopefully we will get some news this week. They said 10-15 business days, so it should be postmarked friday at latest.
You're right, i totally missed the "business" days part. That would mean it would be this upcoming Friday that is 15 business days.

Dang, at least 2 more weeks at the earliest to get mail for us OOS.

You're right, i totally missed the "business" days part. That would mean it would be this upcoming Friday that is 15 business days.

Dang, at least 2 more weeks at the earliest to get mail for us OOS.

I live halfway across the country from Western. I received my acceptance letter in the mail 3 days after the post-mark date, which was 8 business days after my interview (interviewed 8/28, letter post-marked 9/10, arrived 9/13 - which included skipping a normal Monday for Labor Day). So basically I received it 11 "business" days after the interview, but it came on a Saturday which I suppose is technically not a business day :p Moral of the story: letters might arrive sooner than you imagine! Good luck.

I live halfway across the country from Western. I received my acceptance letter in the mail 3 days after the post-mark date, which was 8 business days after my interview (interviewed 8/28, letter post-marked 9/10, arrived 9/13 - which included skipping a normal Monday for Labor Day). So basically I received it 11 "business" days after the interview, but it came on a Saturday which I suppose is technically not a business day :p Moral of the story: letters might arrive sooner than you imagine! Good luck.
Based on his username, I'm assuming he's in Canada. Could take some more time in customs!

Based on his username, I'm assuming he's in Canada. Could take some more time in customs!

Definitely true, and I don't know much about international mail - but I still doubt it would take two full weeks longer! Maybe it would be better had I said nothing and then you'd all be happily surprised when it comes earlier than anticipated ;)

Definitely true, and I don't know much about international mail - but I still doubt it would take two full weeks longer! Maybe it would be better had I said nothing and then you'd all be happily surprised when it comes earlier than anticipated ;)

True haha, and yes from Canada, so i'm not too optimistic about customs. I've had packages and simple pen-pal type letters take forever to get across :(

It's tough, since I have another interview invite scheduled for late November that I would likely not attend if I am accepted at Western or MarianU, and if rejected/waitlisted.. i need to book my flight soon to not pay exorbiant amounts! Sooner the better, if only electronic!

True haha, and yes from Canada, so i'm not too optimistic about customs. I've had packages and simple pen-pal type letters take forever to get across :(

It's tough, since I have another interview invite scheduled for late November that I would likely not attend if I am accepted at Western or MarianU, and if rejected/waitlisted.. i need to book my flight soon to not pay exorbiant amounts! Sooner the better, if only electronic!

I definitely understand the predicament. Hopefully you will hear soon (and won't have to attend more interviews ;))!

Members don't see this ad :)

I found myself in this situation 2 times already. it's tough when med schools don't help us out with interview costs

Just got my acceptance letter! :)
Living in Toronto, Canada and letter was dated Oct. 20th. Interviewed on Oct. 11th.

Reactions: 1 users
Living in Toronto, Canada and letter was dated Oct. 20th. Interviewed on Oct. 11th.

I live 20 miles away and still nothing... Interviewed same date. Congratulations !!!!

Woot Go Canada ;)

West coaster canuck reporting in: Still no mail. Must have gotten lost in the non-existent snow storm.

Woot Go Canada ;)

West coaster canuck reporting in: Still no mail. Must have gotten lost in the non-existent snow storm.
I just e-mailed the admissions office. they said that the letters were mailed out on october 24th, so we should be getting them soon.

Thanks Keevwu! So they must have done it in 2 batches then :) hopefully soon! Lets hope for the best :)
I just e-mailed the admissions office. they said that the letters were mailed out on october 24th, so we should be getting them soon.

got my acceptance today!

Reactions: 5 users
what does it mean if your app is placed on hold pre-interview? Do many people move from hold to II?

Does hold pre interview pretty much means rejection?

Ditto the above. Realistically, does Western ever really interview from the "on hold for interview" group? Can anybody on here attest to personally being placed on (or knowing somebody placed on) the "on hold for interview" list and then being interviewed and accepted at a later date?

Last edited:
Ditto the above. Realistically, does Western ever really interview from the "on hold for interview" group? Can anybody on here attest to personally being placed on (or knowing somebody placed on) the "on hod for interview" list and then being interviewed and accepted at a later date?

Does hold pre interview pretty much means rejection?

I'd like to know this as well...

what does it mean if your app is placed on hold pre-interview? Do many people move from hold to II?

I can't speak for Western, but I was placed on hold by another school (UCSD) recently. The folks there said that of the 2000 or so put on hold, only 50-100 would get an interview. I don't mean to discourage anyone, but my guess is that most people put on hold will not end up receiving a II.

I can't speak for Western, but I was placed on hold by another school (UCSD) recently. The folks there said that of the 2000 or so put on hold, only 50-100 would get an interview. I don't mean to discourage anyone, but my guess is that most people put on hold will not end up receiving a II.

I called today and was told that they literally have no more interview spots available through January. Therefore, if you got a hold that means that you are still under review pending ppl cancel there interview.

Got an interview invitation on 10/20. Not sure if I want to/should interview here. I have an acceptance already. Does anyone know where I can find out about DO school ranking/residency match stats?

Got an interview invitation on 10/20. Not sure if I want to/should interview here. I have an acceptance already. Does anyone know where I can find out about DO school ranking/residency match stats?
Do you want residency in Southern California? If so, Western is a good choice, assuming your other acceptance isn't an MD school

Ditto the above. Realistically, does Western ever really interview from the "on hold for interview" group? Can anybody on here attest to personally being placed on (or knowing somebody placed on) the "on hold for interview" list and then being interviewed and accepted at a later date?

I think on previous pages of this thread, there were two or three people that got taken off the pre-interview hold list and given an II. So hoping that that happens to more people!!!

Last cycle I was on hold until about February then was asked for an interview and ended up being accepted. Im not sure how many others were in the same boat as me but try not to get discouraged. it can be a long process. best of luck

Last cycle I was on hold until about February then was asked for an interview and ended up being accepted. Im not sure how many others were in the same boat as me but try not to get discouraged. it can be a long process. best of luck

Thank you for the encouragement! Do you know if the "on hold for interview" designation is due to a specific MCAT or GPA cutoff range? My GPA is pristine, with only a 3 Bs on my transcript, so I am guessing my pedestrian MCAT assigned me there--but thats just gut feeling.

Thank you for the encouragement! Do you know if the "on hold for interview" designation is due to a specific MCAT or GPA cutoff range? My GPA is pristine, with only a 3 Bs on my transcript, so I am guessing my pedestrian MCAT assigned me there--but thats just gut feeling.

I have no clue, sorry. Admissions committees are a mystery.

Sorry if others have already commented on hotels to stay at. When I went to a Western open house in the summer, I stayed at a Sheraton just a couple of miles away. But now it's booked for a convention or something when I'm interviewing. Any comments from out-of-towners who have interviewed already on where to stay?

Anyone interviewed on Oct 23th heard back the result yet? When should we expect to hear a result?

Can any current students (or anyone really) comment on the opportunities students have working with underserved populations? This doesn't necessarily have to be medically related but that is preferred.

I was placed on hold with a 4.0/26. I interviewed on 10/23 and I found out I was accepted on 10/31.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone interviewed on Oct 23th heard back the result yet? When should we expect to hear a result?
I heard back! A doctor I shadowed who happens to be on the admissions committee sent me a congratulations text on Halloween. I still haven't received the letter in the mail though, but I'm certain the letters have been sent out so everyone should hear back shortly.

I was placed on hold with a 4.0/26. I interviewed on 10/23 and I found out I was accepted on 10/31.
10/11 and still haven't heard.

The fact that you got a text makes me a wee bit jealous haha, helps to have connections :p

Tempted to call..

Got my THIRD hold reminder today via email, my heart almost skipped a beat when I saw "WesternU" in the subject line. Hoping my situation is like yours @hogie1224 I wish I could just tell admissions how passionate I am about western and how dedicated I would be in their program! I sent an email *slightly portraying this, but didn't want to sound too obsessive. I just need all the love I can get right now!

Accepted! Got an email today from financial aid congratulating me on my acceptance into the program. I interviewed 10/23. Haven't received the acceptance letter in the mail yet. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if others have already commented on hotels to stay at. When I went to a Western open house in the summer, I stayed at a Sheraton just a couple of miles away. But now it's booked for a convention or something when I'm interviewing. Any comments from out-of-towners who have interviewed already on where to stay?

Ayres Hotel Chino Hills-- they have a WesternU discounted rate, and if you call at least 2 weeks ahead of time they can schedule a shuttle service to pick you up/from airport and to/from the university. They are awesome and it's a really nice hotel for what you pay!

Rejected via email. It wasn't my top choice, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed. Oh well, on to the next one...

So if you accepted, do you automatically receive the financial aid email? What do you think of calling school to find out? It is just that Western is my top choice, but I am also accepted at Touro and they only give until the 14th to deposit (will have to send the check by the 10th as lastest). I really want Western instead

Accepted! Got an email today from financial aid congratulating me on my acceptance into the program. I interviewed 10/23. Haven't received the acceptance letter in the mail yet. Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Same. Will there be an actual acceptance email comig? I need to know what my next steps are!

Congrats to those accepted, and to those rejected or still waiting, hang in there! Good news will be coming your way soon :)