Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Everyone,

Was just wondering how much of a chance I have at getting a II at Western. I was surprised when I got invited to do a secondary since I was concerned about being below the usual numbers. I submitted my secondary same day that I received it on 11/6.

Stats are: Non-trad California resident, southeast asian
cGPA 3.18, sGPA 3.0
MCAT 25
7 great letter of recs from DOs/MDs/Research/Science/Non-science
Unique healthcare ECs, Years of paid clinical work.

Western is at the top of my list so I'm really hoping to get an interview here.

My guess is odds of an ii are not good. But this is obviously just one opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

How long does admissions usually take to process the LORs and update it on the portal? I submitted my secondary and LORs on Oct. 24th, and it's approaching 3 weeks by this Friday.

How long does admissions usually take to process the LORs and update it on the portal? I submitted my secondary and LORs on Oct. 24th, and it's approaching 3 weeks by this Friday.
same situation here

Members don't see this ad :)
same situation here
Got an email earlier today stating that my DO application is incomplete. Tried to give admissions a call but only voice message. This is getting frustrating; it's either they are really slow in updating the letters status or they lost the letters somehow (which is unlikely because I sent the letters electronically through Interfolio).

Hi guys! I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons between WesternU Pomona and Touro Harlem. Has anyone interviewed at or know anything about both to decide which school is better?

Hello everyone, I'm a 1st year at WesternU. If you guys have any questions at all about the school or the admissions process, shoot me a PM. Goodluck everyone.

Yeah, I'm really starting to cut it close with my next interview too. I know SDN is a small sample size to go by, but so far, I think 2 people on here have said they received acceptance emails and 1 got a phone call. Other than that, it seems like people are just getting the letter. Maybe their new procedure is to send an email? I hope so. I'd also love to hear from some more people on here about how they initially found out they were accepted.

I got acceptance email within two weeks. Then came the acceptance in mail. unlike undergrad, small mail packet doesn't mean rejection :p

I saw a lot of solemn faces on Saturday. I know interviews can be tough, but remember, they are judging whether you can handle pressure. Always smile and try to be as relaxed as possible. Even when you're walking around campus on a tour, faculty are watching!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone, I'm a 1st year at WesternU. If you guys have any questions at all about the school or the admissions process, shoot me a PM. Goodluck everyone.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread but I have a question about listing the shadowing experiences in the secondary. I recently began scribing in the ER, can I write down the doctors that I work with for the shadowing experience? I don't have much shadowing experience otherwise but the secondary seems pretty heavy on emphasizing shadowing. What do you guys think?

I wonder if emails/letters have been mailed out for those who interviewed on the 11/6

Accepted via phone call! First one thus far! Interviewed 11/6.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted via mail! :) Interviewed 11/6.
Congrats to both of you! Hoping to get some good news too...I wonder why they call some and just send mail to others. I live in Florida so I guess I'll have to wait till Monday at the earliest

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 11/6. Accepted by phone call 11/21!!!

I'm so happy!!!!

For those that are curious, my GPA is 3.3 and MCAT is 34. I was put on pre-interview hold months ago, and got called in just a few days before 11/6.

I really thought I was going to get waitlisted at best, because my numbers are on the lower end. But, I was lucky that my interview went well because my interviewers were great.

For those that have gotten in, CONGRATULATIONS!

For those otherwise, stay positive!! I was getting rejected and waitlisted left and right up until now.

Reactions: 3 users
Ahh congrats to all of you! It's giving me anxiety that they call some people and send mail to others...does anyone have any idea behind their methods? Have any of you received any emails from them? I'm just trying to calm myself until the mail man comes tomorrow

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance here due to an acceptance at one of my top choices. It was a hard decision, but best of luck to you all! Hope one of you gets my spot :)

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 11/15, acceptance phone call 11/21. Anyone planning to get a new laptop/tablet during Black Friday? Necessary? Recommendations?

Congrats to those who got in. For those still waiting, don't lose hope!!!

so i was reading an old thread and it mentioned that although there's no official mandatory lecture policy at western, some classes have clicker quizzes at the beginning of lecture - is this for every lecture?

Last edited:
so i was reading an old thread and it mentioned that although there's no official mandatory lecture policy at western, some classes have clicker quizzes at the beginning of lecture - is this for every lecture?
Only once it has been mandatory to attend during first semester.

here's the deal: there are some classes that are absolutely mandatory and attendence is part of your grade: OMM, Essentials of clinical medicine, Interprofessional Education. each of these classes is once a week, though on different days (mondays, tuesdays, wednesdays). In anatomy, you are required to come in for your dissection, however, you are not required to go in for the anatomy lectures. it is highly recommended you go to the lectures though since you don't to be dissecting afterwards blindly with no clue of what you are looking at. some professors will rightfully get pissed off at you if you come in with no idea what you are doing and they will know. As for the other sciences courses, so far classes are not mandatory. the clicker quizzes we have are there to gauge our understanding but not used for grades or attendence, except for one day that has been announced to us in advance.

Interviewed on 9/13 and loved the school but not so much the surrounding area. The school seemed great with great faculty. I was surprised to get accepted since I am OOS from the midwest (where only a slim number of people get accepted from). I will be declining my acceptance though since it is a bit far from home and I've been accepted somewhere closer to home. Hope one of you lucky folks gets my spot. Good luck to all.

Anyone else interviewiNg Dec 4? Dinner tonight in Pomona?

Still waitlisted pre-interview...

Been accepted to one school. Cancelled other med school interviews. Would consider WesternU, even with the high tuition and sketchy neighborhood. I did NOT apply to WesternU Northwest.

To those who were accepted, how did you pay your deposit to secure your seat?

To those who were accepted, how did you pay your deposit to secure your seat?
I sent a check for $1000 payable to Western University of Health Sciences. I mailed it to the Enrollment Data Services Office at Western.

I interviewed on Dec 4th, and liked the school and the people. I lived on the west side when I was in LA, but there are a lot of places I'd like living near Pomona. One of the faculty during her presentation said that most students live within 30 minutes of the school... I'm wondering where exactly that is. Anyone know?

Last edited:
I know quite a few live in chino hills, claremont, upland, Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario

I had an interview here for January but I'm going to cancel it because I was accepted in my home state. Hope it goes to one of you all!

Reactions: 2 users
when is your interview? my application was complete and processed for review on the same day, but i haven't hear back anything.:(

There are a couples dates available in January, so they can't booked too far into the future.

I sent a check for $1000 payable to Western University of Health Sciences. I mailed it to the Enrollment Data Services Office at Western.
Do you or anyone else accepted know if the deposit check has to be postmarked by the deadline date or arrive by that date? Also, it's there an online way to pay the deposit? Thanks!

Do you or anyone else accepted know if the deposit check has to be postmarked by the deadline date or arrive by that date? Also, it's there an online way to pay the deposit? Thanks!
I'm pretty positive it has to be received on or before the deadline date. Unfortunately, I do not believe you can pay the deposit online. I just sent my check in last week and my deadline is Dec. 15th. I'm hoping that should be plenty of time to reach the school.

I'm pretty positive it has to be received on or before the deadline date. Unfortunately, I do not believe you can pay the deposit online. I just sent my check in last week and my deadline is Dec. 15th. I'm hoping that should be plenty of time to reach the school.
Thank you! Mine is also on 12/15. But I'm having trouble deciding between this and another school and I have fly out this week for another interview so I'm hoping to maybe mail Friday and hope they see the postmarked date.

Received an II yesterday. I will be interviewing in January. Is it likely that this will be for a spot on the waitlist?

Received an II yesterday. I will be interviewing in January. Is it likely that this will be for a spot on the waitlist?

I think it's too early for their class to have been filled already...at least I hope so since I am waiting for a II as well. Best of luck!

May I ask when you were complete?

I think it's too early for their class to have been filled already...at least I hope so since I am waiting for a II as well. Best of luck!

May I ask when you were complete?

I hope so too, good luck to you as well! I was complete mid-August and received two 'hold' emails between then and the II.

I hope so too, good luck to you as well! I was complete mid-August and received two 'hold' emails between then and the II.
congrats on the II! I have also been on hold since Aug and since then received 2 hold emails. Are you CA in state?

congrats on the II! I have also been on hold since Aug and since then received 2 hold emails. Are you CA in state?

Ya, I am a CA resident. LizzyM=65. I wasnt expecting the II from Western after the hold. I hope you hear back soon!

I just got a hold email also :(. Does that mean I still have a chance or not

Accepted here a few weeks ago but will be withdrawing. Hope it goes to a fellow SDNer. Good luck, ya'll!

Has anyone who interviewed on or after 11/15 receive their decision letter in the mail yet?

Has anyone who interviewed on or after 11/15 receive their decision letter in the mail yet?
Interviewed on 11/15 as well. I called and asked and they said there was an issue with the printer or something and some were not sent out until this Monday, so I am hoping they will arrive today

Interviewed on 11/15 as well. I called and asked and they said there was an issue with the printer or something and some were not sent out until this Monday, so I am hoping they will arrive today

The ol' broken printer excuse, haha.

II here on January 29th! Is that too late? Would that be for a spot on the wait list?