Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My secondary was marked complete almost 9 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything at all. Is this normal for this school? From previous posts it seems like I should have already been notified of something, even if it is to say that my application is being put on hold or rejected. Should I inquire about the status of my application or just be patient?

Members don't see this ad.

My secondary was marked complete almost 9 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything at all. Is this normal for this school? From previous posts it seems like I should have already been notified of something, even if it is to say that my application is being put on hold or rejected. Should I inquire about the status of my application or just be patient?

Call and ask about the status of your application. Coincidence or not, I received an II two days after calling and asking about my app. One of the least talked about but highly beneficial methods of increasing your chances at any school (unless they explicitly state do not contact about asking about status of app) is calling to show interest.

Anyone? January too late for this cycle? And also, I'm really sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what's the interview-acceptance ratio of this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone? January too late for this cycle? And also, I'm really sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what's the interview-acceptance ratio of this school?

Not late. Number of interviews granted, accepted, etc are available on their website.

First year here, let me know if anyone has any questions about anything! I'm looking for new ways to procrastinate :laugh:(MCBM... oh the joy)

Reactions: 1 user
2 in 3 get accepted; some of them via the waitlist.

Those odds are really good! I really hope I get in here. Do you know if they ever accept people in the mid 20s? My interview isn't until late January and my MCAT isn't exactly the best.

2 in 3 get accepted; some of them via the waitlist.

Last edited:
Those odds are really good! I really hope I get in here. Do you know if they ever accept people in the mid 20s? My interview isn't until late January and my MCAT isn't exactly the best.
I know one person from 2017 that got accepted with a 24, but this person was in wait list and from the So Cal area.

I know one person from 2017 that got accepted with a 24, but this person was in wait list and from the So Cal area.
I think I know who you talk about from 2017; but I also heard from my friend that person complete the master of science at Western prior too...

Placed on pre-ii hold today after being complete on November 5th. Sigh, I really hope I get a chance here. Would submitting grade updates or new MCATs affect anything?

Just withdrew my acceptance from the school bc of distance from home. Hopefully my seat goes to one of you on the waitlist! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a facebook page yet?

Interviewing here on Jan 29th.. Good luck to those who are still waiting

I called admissions today and they said that my application is still in review. I feel that many of us from that interview group haven't gotten word back and it's been more than a month. I interviewed 11/15/2014. :/

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I was scrolling through previous posts and couldn't find it. Is Western receptive to in the area emails? I'm from NJ and will be going to Pomona to accompany a friend interviewing for a spot in their optometry school. I'm going to be there from the 15-19th of January (Thurs-Mon) so I have a feeling they are probably already booked for interviews for this time.

ACCEPTED! By snail mail received today 12/19

Interviewed on 12/03

Reactions: 4 users
Would it be acceptable to bring an updated transcript to my interview? Semester just ended and my school's pretty slow with updating transcripts. If I have them send it to AACOMAS and wait for AACOMAS to send it the following week, wait for Western to download it, it would take such a long time, maybe it won't even get there by the time the committee reviews my file post-interview. Should I just hand my transcript to someone in admissions on interview day?

turning down my acceptance here, good luck errybody!

I'm sure an answer to my question has already been given, but I'm hoping someone can quickly let me know when interviews are typically finished. I would like to fly out of the Ontario, CA airport at 4:40pm. Will that give me enough time?

I'm sure an answer to my question has already been given, but I'm hoping someone can quickly let me know when interviews are typically finished. I would like to fly out of the Ontario, CA airport at 4:40pm. Will that give me enough time?

If I remember correctly, the interview day should at around 2PM so that should leave you enough time to get to the airport.

I'm guessing no one created a FB group for the accepted class?

Just looking for some advice, I was checking the status of my app and it said incomplete cuz they hadn't received my ref letter. So I called them and the lady said the science prof ref I submitted didn't qualify since I have been out of school for more than 2 years she let me substitute my employers ref, which was great of her. The part I am concerned about is that she said sometimes they still require a ref from a science prof and they might email asking for one. So what are the chances they will accept my employer ref as a substitute? Or are they really stern about the science prof ref? I don't have one so should I start panicking

Is the class full yet? If not, does anyone know the numbers?

Questions for current students! How is anatomy lab compared to COMP NW? Are faculty easily accessible here? What do you think of the rotations offered at Pomona campus compared to COMP NW? (@snaq or anyone else?) :) Thanks!

Questions for current students! How is anatomy lab compared to COMP NW? Are faculty easily accessible here? What do you think of the rotations offered at Pomona campus compared to COMP NW? (@snaq or anyone else?) :) Thanks!
the faculty are excellent. Super interesting too. One of our professors, is one of the discoverers of the new dinosaur that was hitting headlines lately, Aquilops americanus. They are excellent at teaching anatomy. The anatomy lab is really big too. facilities are nice and well maintained. If you get an interview at COMP, there's a chance you'll get to see it on your interview day.

If I could give one bit of advice for the incoming class, it's this: take ISAC !! you will thank yourself when fall semester starts and you get to take it easy for ten weeks along with the possibility of facilitating anatomy for the incoming class and getting paid while doing it. Another benefit of ISAC is you get a more intimate setting with all of the professors, so you will learn the material really well. Don't be afraid if you've never taken anatomy before. A lot of ISACers never took anatomy and they did really well in the class. get on the ISAC list as soon as it's offered!

Reactions: 1 users
just received an interview! hope there are still spots left. interesting that it is a mix of MMI and panel. can any nontrads discuss what their experience has been like?

just received an interview! hope there are still spots left. interesting that it is a mix of MMI and panel. can any nontrads discuss what their experience has been like?
Congrats!!! Were you on hold before the II?

no my application was complete in december due to a late LOR

Thanks for the reply @guylewis ! Especially interested in the ISAC program! How many students are in that program and what's the application for that like? Competitive?

Also, can anyone speak to how much patient contact you get during your pre-clinical years? And in what capacity? (is it mostly standardized patients, real patients, etc..)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @guylewis ! Especially interested in the ISAC program! How many students are in that program and what's the application for that like? Competitive?

Also, can anyone speak to how much patient contact you get during your pre-clinical years? And in what capacity? (is it mostly standardized patients, real patients, etc..)
around 40 students in ISAC if i recall correctly. IIRC not very competitive since a lot of people don't want to give up their last summer break. You have to meet certain MCAT/GPA criterion and you had to have taken either anatomy or physiology beforehand.
patient contact is excellent. we are immersed into writing SOAP notes as well as doing histories and physicals early in the first year, and these experiences are with standardized patients in timed conditions. We have opportunities to get involved with free clinics in the community like with the Montclair Clinic and some clubs have their own free clinics which they set up and run. Good opportunities to practice all of your standardized patient skills with actual patients, and also great for learning how to present to attending physicians. All in all, i'm very happy with the opportunities we've been given and I've had students from other medical schools comment that they were amazed at how much get to do and learn so early on. Honestly, it all just depends on how much you want to put into it and what your priorities are for your preclinical years

@UACOM-T2017 So pretty much everything @guylewis said I'd agree with minus ISAC not being very competitive. I know a lot of people that wanted in but they couldn't because it was full. If you qualify and you want to do it, I would send an email because it can fill up fast. I wasn't technically qualified (never took anatomy or physio) and I explained why I wanted to take it and viola I was in. If you don't email and you qualify though, you'll probably get an email later in the year asking if you want to join so no worries! :)
As far as patient exposure, senor guy is pretty spot on, its whatever you make of it. There are plenty of opportunities and there are lots of students my year that are actively trying to open it up more so trust me, you'll have opportunities if you really want it!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the great replies! Really appreciate it! @guylewis and @snaq What do you guys think about books/supplies? Anything required that you buy? Or do you just use class notes/slides and your own outside materials? Do you guys have any suggestions on living? I heard there is a place called the Daumier that is on campus that just opened.

Thank you for the great replies! Really appreciate it! @guylewis and @snaq What do you guys think about books/supplies? Anything required that you buy? Or do you just use class notes/slides and your own outside materials? Do you guys have any suggestions on living? I heard there is a place called the Daumier that is on campus that just opened.
depends on your learning style, honestly. you're not required to buy anything for most classes. a lot of people get by having never bought a book, while others just study using books and flashcards. depends on what works best for you. Daumier is definitely close to campus. that's all i got to say about that.

also, @snaq is right, you should definitely email them that you want to be in ISAC asap. the longer you wait, the more likely it'll be filled up. it's competitive in that sense. but it's not competitive in the sense that you have to have the highest grades, best MCAT score, or an amazing personal statement. you just gotta be quick on the draw

the faculty are excellent. Super interesting too. One of our professors, is one of the discoverers of the new dinosaur that was hitting headlines lately, Aquilops americanus. They are excellent at teaching anatomy. The anatomy lab is really big too. facilities are nice and well maintained. If you get an interview at COMP, there's a chance you'll get to see it on your interview day.

If I could give one bit of advice for the incoming class, it's this: take ISAC !! you will thank yourself when fall semester starts and you get to take it easy for ten weeks along with the possibility of facilitating anatomy for the incoming class and getting paid while doing it. Another benefit of ISAC is you get a more intimate setting with all of the professors, so you will learn the material really well. Don't be afraid if you've never taken anatomy before. A lot of ISACers never took anatomy and they did really well in the class. get on the ISAC list as soon as it's offered!
This goes to show how different opinions are. I think there were some really good faculty members for anatomy but there were definitely ****ty faculty that wrote some of the stupidest questions I have ever seen. Facilities are nothing special either. If anything, they overly crowded and with poor ventilation.

I would have to say I don't recommend ISAC. I think it's dumb to insert a random giant break in the middle of fall when you can do more important things with your summer. The 4k I earned doing research far outweighs the scraps the school pays for facilitating. Besides, if you hate anatomy lab, it sucks to have to come in during the fall and eat formaldehyde because you made a contract to facilitate. Also, you are forced to do every dissection during ISAC. Have fun learning the hand in one day.

Last edited:
around 40 students in ISAC if i recall correctly. IIRC not very competitive since a lot of people don't want to give up their last summer break. You have to meet certain MCAT/GPA criterion and you had to have taken either anatomy or physiology beforehand.
patient contact is excellent. we are immersed into writing SOAP notes as well as doing histories and physicals early in the first year, and these experiences are with standardized patients in timed conditions. We have opportunities to get involved with free clinics in the community like with the Montclair Clinic and some clubs have their own free clinics which they set up and run. Good opportunities to practice all of your standardized patient skills with actual patients, and also great for learning how to present to attending physicians. All in all, i'm very happy with the opportunities we've been given and I've had students from other medical schools comment that they were amazed at how much get to do and learn so early on. Honestly, it all just depends on how much you want to put into it and what your priorities are for your preclinical years
Oh yes, the joys of being thrown into 20 minute physical exams when we were barely taught how to do anything.

You guys will all enjoy the joys of subjective grading where I've turned identical SOAP notes a week apart and gotten 20% grade difference and the teacher doesn't allow you to question any grading.

This goes to show how different opinions are. I think there were some really good faculty members for anatomy but there were definitely ****ty faculty that wrote some of the stupidest questions I have ever seen. Facilities are nothing special either. If anything, they overly crowded and with poor ventilation.

I would have to say I don't recommend ISAC. I think it's dumb to insert a random giant break in the middle of fall when you can do more important things with your summer. The 4k I earned doing research far outweighs the scraps the school pays for facilitating. Besides, if you hate anatomy lab, it sucks to have to come in during the fall and eat formaldehyde because you made a contract to facilitate. Also, you are forced to do every dissection during ISAC. Have fun learning the hand in one day.
Ok. Well that's like your opinion man. You never took ISAC, so thanks for telling us how much it sucked for us who did.

Honestly, it's been my favorite class so far and some great friendships were made from the experience. Doing every dissection is actually great for learning the material and facilitating solidified that information deep into my brain. If you don't want to facilitate for whatever reason, then score under 80% in the class and you won't have to do anything at all.

Ok. Well that's like your opinion man. You never took ISAC, so thanks for telling us how much it sucked for us who did.

Honestly, it's been my favorite class so far and some great friendships were made from the experience. Doing every dissection is actually great for learning the material and facilitating solidified that information deep into my brain. If you don't want to facilitate for whatever reason, then score under 80% in the class and you won't have to do anything at all.
And you didn't do the traditional program either, so by your logic, you can't say the traditional program isn't better. Besides, I quoted objective things for my opinion: 1) having to do every dissection, 2) forced to facilitate if you don't like lab, 3) losing your summer, etc. How are you going to treat any of your patients whose conditions you have never had since experiencing things is a prerequisite?

Good for you and your friendships. All of us in the traditional program never made friends, so great logic going on.

I did ISAC. Best decision because I hated anatomy and I'd rather endure it alone over six weeks than having to deal with it, in conjunction to everything else, for 9 weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!

Sorry for the delay in this post...

I am a nontrad, similar to your username I went to law school and then decided to go to med school. I felt the school was very warm and welcoming in regards to the students and faculty. People seemed to be happy there. The classrooms are nice. DO schools and western specifically. Seem to be very nontrad friendly. I brought up my life experiences and used law school as a way to differentiate my skillset I'd bring as a doctor etc. I was on the first interview day and was in the first batch of acceptances. Anyways typing this on phone as life with a newborn is hectic haha. Pm me if you have more questions! Best of luck

Congrats!

Sorry for the delay in this post...

I am a nontrad, similar to your username I went to law school and then decided to go to med school. I felt the school was very warm and welcoming in regards to the students and faculty. People seemed to be happy there. The classrooms are nice. DO schools and western specifically. Seem to be very nontrad friendly. I brought up my life experiences and used law school as a way to differentiate my skillset I'd bring as a doctor etc. I was on the first interview day and was in the first batch of acceptances. Anyways typing this on phone as life with a newborn is hectic haha. Pm me if you have more questions! Best of luck

Inygma can you send me a PM? I definitely have some questions (nothing breaching confidentiality of course) and I cannot seem to send you one

EDIT: Fixed my settings and sent you a PM :)

Last edited:
Inygma can you send me a PM? I definitely have some questions (nothing breaching confidentiality of course) and I cannot seem to send you one
"You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: lawyer_doc." I think you have your account set to private or something.

Still on a pre-interview hold since October :(

Reactions: 2 users