Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So one of my jobs is a scribe. Would it be acceptable to list doctors I work with at the ER as physicians I've shadowed?
I put in the doctors I shadowed then I put in a "various" one and in the description listed the doctors I had worked the most with. I figure it would be fine either way.

Members don't see this ad.

I only include physicians who I shadowed outside of work/volunteering under the "Physicians Shadowed" section. However, in the essay prompt regarding shadowing a DO, I mentioned that my experience shadowing DO's came from working with DO's as a scribe. I'm not sure what the 'right' way to do it is, but that is how I did it.
I would consider that the right way to do it, but I seriously doubt ADCOM are going to penalize you if you list it the other way. The one thing you must avoid, though, is double dipping on hours.

If you used interfolio, cancel the delivery ASAP! Then do a new one with the ID attached. You get a refund if you cancel it before it's about to deliver.

Sending more letters to an institution is free.

At least it was for me last year. They only charged me $5 for the initial delivery.

Umm, sending without the ID isn't a death sentence. I sent quite a few of them and forgot the ID. They usually want the ID because it helps them verify the right applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only include physicians who I shadowed outside of work/volunteering under the "Physicians Shadowed" section. However, in the essay prompt regarding shadowing a DO, I mentioned that my experience shadowing DO's came from working with DO's as a scribe. I'm not sure what the 'right' way to do it is, but that is how I did it.

I listed a DO who I briefly worked with at an ED. At my interview I had a 4th yr med student and a PhD who didn't really care much for my DO experience. They only asked me if I had shadowed a DO only because it was part of a list of questions they are supposed to ask you. My interview at touro (NorCal) on the other hand was a lot more specific to my DO experience. The whole different DO philosophy doesn't really appeal to me and at both interviews I basically stated that in practice DOs and MDs are the same. In the end, western accepted me and touro didn't. I can't be any happier going to western. This experience basically taught me to be who you are on paper and during the interview. If you showed more MDs than DOs like I did then just say that. Schools that are more DO oriented will not select you but you wouldn't be happy going there anyways.

I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding the 'shadowing DO' question.

I shadowed a DO and even have a DO letter. But I feel like if I wrote about my DO experience, my answer would come off generic. I have experience doing international work with MDs that tie in with my interest in osteopathy and comes off as a really interesting story. I wanted to write about my MD experience, but can I do that if I've shadowed a DO?

I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding the 'shadowing DO' question.

I shadowed a DO and even have a DO letter. But I feel like if I wrote about my DO experience, my answer would come off generic. I have experience doing international work with MDs that tie in with my interest in osteopathy and comes off as a really interesting story. I wanted to write about my MD experience, but can I do that if I've shadowed a DO?

You can write about whatever you want as long as it tells them why you are interested in becoming a DO. Definitely don't be generic, tell them what fueled your interest even if that means writing about the MD stuff. "Although I shadowed a DO, my true passion for osteopathy was fueled when...."

Reactions: 1 user
Are they pretty stringent on LOR requirements? I emailed a few times regarding this but got no reply.

I've been out of college for awhile so I sent in letters from my research professor, M.D., and other supervisors... but only one letter (M.D.) was marked received :eyebrow: I thought this was okay, according to their instructions

just submitted secondary....really hope I get an II here bc this school is at the top of my list..

3.5sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 postbacc/30 MCAT

just submitted secondary....really hope I get an II here bc this school is at the top of my list..

3.5sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 postbacc/30 MCAT

They seem to love the san diegans, can't tell you how many people in our class are from san diego. Being so close you should make your way to the preview day.

Usually, how long after the Tuesday that AACOMAS releases our app to schools does Western send you a secondary? Hope my question makes sense...

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually, how long after the Tuesday that AACOMAS releases our app to schools does Western send you a secondary? Hope my question makes sense...

I got my secondary just about a week after them receiving my app, maybe a little less.

Is anyone having trouble submitting payment? Every time when I click submit payment, the page says that the session has expired.

is shadowing a DO required for admission into westernu? I never shadowed a DO, but I have shadowed 2 MD's and 1 DO student during ShaDO week at westernu

is shadowing a DO required for admission into westernu? I never shadowed a DO, but I have shadowed 2 MD's and 1 DO student during ShaDO week at westernu

I don't think it's a requirement. But one of their secondary app questions specifically ask about your experience shadowing a DO. So in that case, it's probably highly suggested!

Finally received secondary today. Submitted 06/03. Verified 07/23 (my final transcript did not get released until mid june).

Question. One of the prompts for the Lebanon campus is the same for the Pomona campus.

While shadowing a Physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (1650 characters)

Is it a good idea to use the same response for both campuses since they're asking the same thing?

uh what is the deal with their recommendation letters? it says they have to be on official letterhead or use the official westernu form?

("Individual evaluations must be made on this form or college/professional letterhead. College pre-health
professions committees may substitute your own standardized recommendation forms.")

did anyone just send in their letters w/o that? all mine are just generic "for med school" that were submitted electronically to interfolio

uh what is the deal with their recommendation letters? it says they have to be on official letterhead or use the official westernu form?

("Individual evaluations must be made on this form or college/professional letterhead. College pre-health
professions committees may substitute your own standardized recommendation forms.")

did anyone just send in their letters w/o that? all mine are just generic "for med school" that were submitted electronically to interfolio
Your letters should be on professional letterhead; AKA professors on school letterhead, work on company letterhead, doctors on hosptial/practice letterhead, religious leader on church/temple/etc letterhead.

Anyone who submitted early still waiting for a secondary? I was verified early June and submitted app to Western mid-June...I called and am still in the screening process. :/

How much can we write to explain why the research and teaching experiences were valuable to us? The 2 essays are 1650 chars but there is no limit listed for the research and teaching experience explanation...

Last edited:
So am I Cali resident, reapplying here, last cycle I didnt have my DO letter until January and that's when I applied. my stats are 3.7 GPA 29 MCAT, I was complete 6/19 on AACOMAS and still have not received a secondary at Pomona, does anyone know why?

So am I Cali resident, reapplying here, last cycle I didnt have my DO letter until January and that's when I applied. my stats are 3.7 GPA 29 MCAT, I was complete 6/19 on AACOMAS and still have not received a secondary at Pomona, does anyone know why?

I haven't received one either. I called on Friday and apparently my app was still in the screening process.

I've heard the primary app screening process at Western is pretty tough. Any word on how low of a GPA/MCAT they give out secondaries to? (mainly curious, my stats are safe).

MCAT/GPA. They are just catching up with applications, you'll get a secondary soon.

i've heard rumors that it's more than just a GPA/MCAT screen, but i'm inclined to believe those rumors are false

i've heard rumors that it's more than just a GPA/MCAT screen, but i'm inclined to believe those rumors are false
It is only a gpa/mcat screen, straight from the admissions counsellor.

Very very few DO schools screen pre-secondary for anyhting other than gpa/mcat. The big ones in the east I have heard of screen are UNECOM and that Touro school in Manhattan.

It is only a gpa/mcat screen, straight from the admissions counsellor.

Very very few DO schools screen pre-secondary for anyhting other than gpa/mcat. The big ones in the east I have heard of screen are UNECOM and that Touro school in Manhattan.
Interesting. What do UNECOM and Touro NY screen for besides GPA/MCAT?

Most of the things on the primary? I guess to keep down the number of seocndaries they have to go through. They don't like automatic secondaries, and make up for the small number of secondaries with heftier fees to the ones who do receive it. (200$ for touro)

Then you must have had at least a 40 MCAT

Well for ECs... highly doubt it's an in-depth look and likely a few check boxes (ex. having volunteered, shadowed, blah blah).

I give respect to schools like unecom or touro or even kcumb which have decent standards for getting a secondary. Barring rare circumstances, you won't see people with ridiculously low stats getting in anywhere. At least schools which do this save the clueless applicants money.

My secondary is completed and submitted and my letters are posted on banweb as received.

Does the application status change from "Application Materials Received" to "complete" or "under review" ?

I received the " Secondary application received" email on June 29.

My secondary is completed and submitted and my letters are posted on banweb as received.

Does the application status change from "Application Materials Received" to "complete" or "under review" ?

I received the " Secondary application received" email on June 29.
I received an email on July 24th that my Application is Ready for Review

I've heard the primary app screening process at Western is pretty tough. Any word on how low of a GPA/MCAT they give out secondaries to? (mainly curious, my stats are safe).
I know you need at least a 24 to get over the screen.

Those of you who have received the secondary at the Pamona campus, could you tell me when you were complete with AACOMAS? I submitted 6/19 to AACOMAS and still have not received a secondary for Pamona -_-
29MCAT 3.7 GPA for those wondering, I don't think I've been screened...