Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did you guys receive two separate secondary emails from both campus or do we just assume that we can apply to both campus using that one email?

Members don't see this ad.

"fake it" . .. ? that's horrible advice. I'd rather stay true to myself, and if you knew me at all you'd know I have strong interpersonal skills, and assuming I'm going to have a "rough time in school and with patients" because I call it how it is and don't "fake it" as you suggest is a clueless assessment

Western's adcom does not have my future in it's hands.. I do
Appreciate your advice nonetheless
wow no offense but... i would hate to be your classmate....

Reactions: 4 users
I am so jealous of all your IIs! My stomach is churning waiting for a hopeful II, this is my dream school! GOOD LUCK to all of you! I promise you that I will be thinking hopeful thoughts for you all every day! It's a reach for me because my MCAT is so low :( (25-7ps 8vr 10bs) but I'm hopeful with a good GPA and good ECs! keep up the positive vibes yall!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ALSO... how long after you guys received this email did you hear back for the interview?!

"Good News! Your application to COMP-Pomona has been processed and is now complete. It will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via telephone or email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time."...and blahblahblah

ALSO... how long after you guys received this email did you hear back for the interview?!

"Good News! Your application to COMP-Pomona has been processed and is now complete. It will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via telephone or email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time."...and blahblahblah

I received that email on July 24th and got my II on August 5th. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I received that email on July 24th and got my II on August 5th. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

Could you please keep them crossed for me as well?) thank you and good luck on the interview ;):)

Reactions: 1 users
Keep your fingers crossed for me too! I'll be wishing all of you good luck in your upcoming interviews :)

Good luck to everyone interviewing.

Last edited:
wow no offense but... i would hate to be your classmate....
no offense buttttt... who are you? you don't even know me, this seems like more clueless rambling. all I did on this thread was express frustration because western's adcom in pomona hasn't sent me a secondary yet and other students who have submitted after me have received secondaries. How can nobody see how this could be frustrating? especially since this is one my best chances at staying in my home state. I was then lectured on "faking it" and how this school "has my future in it's hands" and how to be polite. either way I dont think we'll be classmates so don't worry about it Fargo

Last edited:
@sdbolthead24 Have you pre-written your Western secondaries yet? It seems like all this time you've spent on SDN questioning why you haven't received a secondary could have been better spent perfecting your pre-written statements. Editing and re-editing your pre-written secondary would be something you CAN control. Sometimes life isn't fair, and sometimes there aren't clear-cut answers to questions of how the application decisions are made, but that's NOT something you can control. Does it suck that the admissions counselor wasn't very helpful? Yes. But why waste your energy being frustrated about something that isn't going to change, at least in the amount of time that you're applying? Brush it off, don't take it personal, and get back to scrutinizing your essays so you can really impress them and secure an interview spot.

@sdbolthead24 Have you pre-written your Western secondaries yet? It seems like all this time you've spent on SDN questioning why you haven't received a secondary could have been better spent perfecting your pre-written statements. Editing and re-editing your pre-written secondary would be something you CAN control. Sometimes life isn't fair, and sometimes there aren't clear-cut answers to questions of how the application decisions are made, but that's NOT something you can control. Does it suck that the admissions counselor wasn't very helpful? Yes. But why waste your energy being frustrated about something that isn't going to change, at least in the amount of time that you're applying? Brush it off, don't take it personal, and get back to scrutinizing your essays so you can really impress them and secure an interview spot.

Yah, I submitted my Northwest secondary for western and saved my answers as a draft, they are the same secondary aside from maybe 1 or 2 questions. I don't think I'm wasting my energy, I'm sharing my application experience to western U, on western U's application thread. I shouldn't take it personal, but when you spend so much time on applying it's hard not to.

Members don't see this ad :)
How big is the interview group for Western U (i.e. how many students do they invite per interview date)?

I believe anywhere from around 30 to over 50 people. Most of the time it will be closer to 50.

Yah, I submitted my Northwest secondary for western and saved my answers as a draft, they are the same secondary aside from maybe 1 or 2 questions. I don't think I'm wasting my energy, I'm sharing my application experience to western U, on western U's application thread. I shouldn't take it personal, but when you spend so much time on applying it's hard not to.

Ok so go work on practicing interview questions. My point is: you're bringing more stress on yourself by worrying about something you can't change right now. I can see that you're frustrated, but unless an Adcom member is on here to reply, the only answers you'll get from SDN is speculation, which will likely contribute to your frustration. Sure people on here can commiserate with your situation, but being angry at the system isn't going to get you anywhere.

Just got the complete email...I've been complete for ~2 weeks now though.

applying with a 3.5 sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 post bacc/30 mcat....feeling pretty good, but still nervous as hell. just got the complete email a couple of days ago....

How long was the time between that email and an II for those of you who have received II?

Also...anyone know about what percent of interviewee's are accepted?

Got the complete email august 6th and just got an interview invite! Super fast turnaround! Dates to choose from: august 28th or sept 16( Saturday).

IS / 3.8 / 30

Got the complete email august 6th and just got an interview invite! Super fast turnaround! Dates to choose from: august 28th or sept 16( Saturday).

IS / 3.8 / 30
Congrats! I also received the complete email aug 6th, but my gpa is lower...a few more weeks for me, if at all :( (Also have 30 MCAT)

Excited to apply, here. AACOMAS stats: 3.54c/3.63s vs. AMCAS stats: 3.08c/3.28s, 30R. In state.

Primary released 8/7/14, secondary received 8/11/14, secondary submitted 8/11/14.

Last edited:
WOHOO! top choice school! I had my AACOMAS app released on 7/10, received Westerns secondary on 7/14 and submitted on 7/21...but they messed up my LORs and JUST entered my physician one today. HOWEVER, I think you all need to stress less and be excited//patient! Especially those of you who are worried with 3.8+ and 30+ mcats. I heard OOS kids have to wait longer for secondaries than us in state kids because they pull less OOS than In-state.

Although I would be so happy with any acceptance, staying in California is my biggest goal. I'll be here staying positive with my 3.5cGPA/3.4sGPA and my 25 MCAT. I'm not the best applicant number wise but its not always about the numbers! Keep your chins up and keep pushing!

On another note, I'll be at their preview day on the 23rd. Let's meet up!

See you there! Coming from San Diego!

Does anyone have any information for where they do their rotations?

Does Pomona campus still offer the Northwest Track, where you do first two years in Pomona and 3/4th years in Northwest? Or do they just tell you to attend the Lebanon campus for that experience? Because I would love to live in Cali for a bit, but want to be closer to family in Oregon eventually.

Does Pomona campus still offer the Northwest Track, where you do first two years in Pomona and 3/4th years in Northwest? Or do they just tell you to attend the Lebanon campus for that experience? Because I would love to live in Cali for a bit, but want to be closer to family in Oregon eventually.
+1

Nope, not anymore.

What hotels are you guys considering staying at for interviews here? Know any that offer shuttle service to and from the airport and campus? Is relying on the shuttle even recommended?

What hotels are you guys considering staying at for interviews here? Know any that offer shuttle service to and from the airport and campus? Is relying on the shuttle even recommended?

Check the link in the email - it has a list of all the hotels in the area and how far they are (I'm assuming it's all of them)

Does anyone know how the joint campus thing works?

I have an interview at Western Pomona already, but haven't completed my Western Northwest secondary yet. If I am accepted to Pomona, can I choose which campus to go to or do I have to go to Pomona?

Such great placement stats, and WOW @ the # of ACGME and CA placements! Excited to interview in a few weeks!

P.S. How was/is ISAC and hows the commute from Anaheim/Fullerton?

I am so happy and grateful that I had the opportunity to do ISAC. I got to work closely with my anatomy professors and bond with my peer ISACers. In those 6 weeks, I think I learned more material than I did in a whole year in undergrad. Now, I get to enjoy the chill first half of the Fall semester until I rejoin the rest of my classmates in Head&Neck in October.

The commute is not too bad at all. From my the minute I step a foot outside my apartment to the moment I enter the classroom, it takes me, on average, 40 minutes. Keep in mind, this includes parking my car and walking to the classroom. That said, on exam days, I try to leave my house 30 mins earlier than usual to account for accidents and stuff that may cause unexpected delay.

Are you applying WesternU this cycle?

I am so happy and grateful that I had the opportunity to do ISAC. I got to work closely with my anatomy professors and bond with my peer ISACers. In those 6 weeks, I think I learned more material than I did in a whole year in undergrad. Now, I get to enjoy the chill first half of the Fall semester until I rejoin the rest of my classmates in Head&Neck in October.

The commute is not too bad at all. From my the minute I step a foot outside my apartment to the moment I enter the classroom, it takes me, on average, 40 minutes. Keep in mind, this includes parking my car and walking to the classroom. That said, on exam days, I try to leave my house 30 mins earlier than usual to account for accidents and stuff that may cause unexpected delay.

Are you applying WesternU this cycle?

Awesome to hear! I am interviewing Aug 28th and going to preview day Aug. 20th! So excited. Just got our new house in Fullerton and remembered you were commuting from around that area. I hope we can catch up in more detail since we live near each other if I am lucky enough to get an acceptance!

Thanks again for your info!

Awesome to hear! I am interviewing Aug 28th and going to preview day Aug. 20th! So excited. Just got our new house in Fullerton and remembered you were commuting from around that area. I hope we can catch up in more detail since we live near each other if I am lucky enough to get an acceptance!

Thanks again for your info!

Attending the preview day is very helpful. Learn more about the school, fall in love with it, sincerely and genuinely show how how enthusiastic you are about joining COMP family, and you are in.

Best wishes!

I am so jealous of all your IIs! My stomach is churning waiting for a hopeful II, this is my dream school! GOOD LUCK to all of you! I promise you that I will be thinking hopeful thoughts for you all every day! It's a reach for me because my MCAT is so low :( (25-7ps 8vr 10bs) but I'm hopeful with a good GPA and good ECs! keep up the positive vibes yall!
My stats are semi similar to yours, 26 MCAT, cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.4, lots of shadowing and volunteer hours. Hear anything yet on II for you? Any trends you have seen?

II today. 31 MCAT 3.7 GPA

II today as well. 30 mcat, 3.5 sci, 3.3 cum

Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap shuttle between LAX and ontario (where my hotel is). I know renting a car is cheaper than that, but kind of nervous to drive in LA (I hardly drive now).

Did i completely miss it, or does western's secondary not have a question about convictions, arrests, etc?