Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those accepted that interviewed on 10/22, what color were you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Could anyone tell me how late the interview day goes? Have my interview this week and don't want to be missing my return flight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone tell me how late the interview day goes? Have my interview this week and don't want to be missing my return flight.
The interview went until 2-2:30ish :)

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
How late do you think it is to apply to COMP? I can send in my application within a couple of weeks.

For people who are applying ONLY DO, then it is not considered late. Western U (like most DO schools) look favorably on DO only applicants. Late is apparently December/January.

For people who are applying ONLY DO, then it is not considered late. Western U (like most DO schools) look favorably on DO only applicants. Late is apparently December/January.
Thanks for your response. Do you think you could elaborate on why it is not considered late for those applying only DO? I submitted my apps for MD schools, but was thinking about applying here as I really like the osteopathic philosophy and would love to stay in California.

My stats are pretty average. I am 100% convinced that letting them know during the interview that I was only applying to a few DO schools and that I will decide on the place that will allow my wife to be happy while I ignore her *cough STUDY (aka California weather and location) is what convinced them to give me a spot. I'm very sure I was borderline because every other interviewee I met there was a beast. They have no way of knowing where else you have applied and are very very wary of students who hold multiple acceptances. Statistically, if a student has an MD acceptance AND a DO acceptance, something like 80% go the MD choice and a large part of the 20% is speculated to go with the DO school mostly for location. If the school knows you only are trying DO, they are much more likely to offer a seat.

Reactions: 4 users
My stats are pretty average. I am 100% convinced that letting them know during the interview that I was only applying to a few DO schools and that I will decide on the place that will allow my wife to be happy while I ignore her *cough STUDY (aka California weather and location) is what convinced them to give me a spot. I'm very sure I was borderline because every other interviewee I met there was a beast. They have no way of knowing where else you have applied and are very very wary of students who hold multiple acceptances. Statistically, if a student has an MD acceptance AND a DO acceptance, something like 80% go the MD choice and a large part of the 20% is speculated to go with the DO school mostly for location. If the school knows you only are trying DO, they are much more likely to offer a seat.
Cool, thank you so much for elaborating on that :)

Interview day was from 7:45am to about 2pm!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a secondary post-verification? Been verified for over a week and a half. Is it late in the game?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing here on Thursday and I'm so excited! Would someone mind sharing the schedule of the day when you interviewed? How many people were interviewing with you? Just want to be mentally prepared haha

Anyone from 10/16 red interview group get an acceptance call?

Anyone not get a secondary yet?

Hey friends. Because I used this site so much when I was applying, I figured I'd give you all my two cents.
I'm a current first year at COMP. I have mediocre stats (high GPA, low MCAT, meh ECs). I was waitlisted PRE interview, waitlisted POST interview, and accepted JULY! Its not impossible for those of you stressin or those of you who think Western is stats focused only. I kept a consistent email thread with my admissions counselor, submitted a letter of interest, and wrote letters to my interviewers post interview. I was genuine and myself, they appreciate that here, I cracked jokes with my interviewer. The professor even remembered me and told me how proud he was of me the first day of classes. Despite the 800 interviews and many faces, the people interviewing you guys are AWESOME, something you won't realize until they are giving you a two hour lecture on the perineum cracking inappropriate but hilarious and much needed jokes. I could sit here and type out the many problems I have about medical school, but I promise you no matter where you go, there will ALWAYS be someone who doesn't like something about their school. Here's what I like:
-LOCATION: amazing. Mt. Baldy is 30mins up the road and at night you can see all the city lights of LA. 45mins from the beach. Surrounded by amazing food places!
-Opinion on where you should live? Claremont. Cute downtown. Shopping. Food. Active. Safe.
-Is Pomona a good city? Meh. But its in the center of LOTS of great places. The campus is beautiful, our labs and buildings are really nice, and we have comfy chairs ;)
-PROFESSORS: all of which will meet up with you and talk to you outside of class despite having been asked the same question 300 other times. Unlike many large schools, Westerns professors are highly available and will gladly help you. Do we have professors that we don't like as much? Sure, but that's life.
-TUITION: is super high yes. However in the grand scheme of life, you're going to be a doctor...and it's what you want to do. They have amazing financial aide counselors. One of which let me sit and cry to him about my finances before he fully changed my mindset to a positive one.
-CURRICULUM: Personally, I like that we have interprofessional education and get to converse with other humans besides medical students. Is it a waste of an hour or so? Maybe...but if you are gonna tell me that you're planning to study for 15 hours each day, you're lying or a gunner. Take the extra courses with a grain of salt, and know that medical school isn't about getting honors in anatomy, its also about being available for people, and being empathetic and multitasking. Also newly introduced this year is a boards style cumulative exam after each semester...not for a grade, but to see where you stand. Board prep typically starts in full force about Novemeber of your second year, so they are truly helping us with a leg up on studying. How well you actually do on your boards is completely up to you, your study habits, and the materials you use.
-ATTIRE: casual. unless its an SP encounter day (similar to MMIs like mock physical exams) then you dress professionally. Just like in your interviews, if you aren't sure if its professional then you probably shouldn't wear it. We are in a field to become doctors, you should WANT to impress.
-EXTRA CURRICULARS: Lots of great clubs with lots of things to do. You will be also divided in to houses prior to medical school start and you have competitions like dodgeball, trivia nights, etc. FUN.
-SERVICE: required 25 hours/year of community service; free clinics: Montclair clinic, Pomona clinic, various free clinics around town....despite what others have said, I cross my heart you will be able to work in a clinic multiple times each semester. We are fully hands on right away, its now November and I am fully prepared to perform full physicals on patients.
-OTHER: there will forever be gunners wherever you go. There will forever be competition. But our campus and students truly care about each other. Everyone is open to sharing their study guides, their resources or to joining a new study group. The second years are always available and you will each be assigned a second year to help you throughout medical school.

My advice? Go with your gut. Hate Western? Leave your negative thoughts somewhere else, this forum should be used to excite people and give honest opinions about what we bring to the table. If you feel western doesn't call your name, then its not meant to be. If you are passionate and act yourself, the possibilities are endless. Anyone can throw up the 4 postulates, but having a personal connection to answer "why western" will get you places.

END RANT :) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! PM me if you wanna chat! I'm super cool and the worlds best study procrastinator.

I've tried to add some positivity to this thread, as well, but WesternUknow really nailed it! (and I'm pretty sure I know who you are, too ;))

I'm also a first year, and to go along with what WesternUknow said, if anyone has any questions that they don't want to post here, send me a PM! I'm more than happy to answer questions, listen to frustrations, and give advice.

good news. my application is ready for review. how long after this email did yall hear back one way or another?

good news. my application is ready for review. how long after this email did yall hear back one way or another?

did you get the ready to review email soon after all your stuff was received? When I check my status online it says all materials received....but I haven't received a complete email yet.

did you get the ready to review email soon after all your stuff was received? When I check my status online it says all materials received....but I haven't received a complete email yet.
i got the complete email about 3 weeks after submitting my secondary. I do not know if they send it to everyone or if they skip some people.

any idea when the interview day starts?

What does your statuses say for those who submitted their secondaries? Do they send complete e-mails or change the online status to complete?

I submitted mine a while ago and my status still says Application Materials Received. At the bottom, all of my documents (MCAT, letters) have a date showing when they received them but the status portion for all are still blank.

I just want to know if/when my file will be under review.

What does your statuses say for those who submitted their secondaries? Do they send complete e-mails or change the online status to complete?

I submitted mine a while ago and my status still says Application Materials Received. At the bottom, all of my documents (MCAT, letters) have a date showing when they received them but the status portion for all are still blank.

Same status as yours. Received a complete email as well.
Do a search within the thread.

Primary verified 10/14, secondary received 10/22, secondary submitted 11/1, received "secondary app received" email 11/3. I called admissions and they said I should receive a complete email in 5-7 days. Did you receive a complete email yet? When did you submit your secondary?

Interviewed here yesterday and liked the school! I've visited before for a preview day so there wasn't a lot of "novelty" to the campus. First things first, the school used to be a strip mall so there's not a strong "campus" vibe. There are lots of small buildings to accommodate the different schools and it has a disjointed feel. I don't mind this type of layout but it's worth mentioning because there are prospective students who were really turned off by it. If you don't mind the campus layout then you will find a school with very solid faculty and administrative staff. All the faculty and staff I interacted seemed very passionate and smart while possessing good teaching qualities and rapport with students. I assume lots of profs apply to this school because of the location so Western can have their pick of quality teachers. The facilites are good, pretty standard anatomy and omm labs, tons of patient encounter rooms (students do 50 something of these in preclinical years, so tons of practice for boards) and a new technology room in the library that has an virtual anatomy table (six foot iPad, basically) 3D computers with anatomy software, and Oculus Rift goggles with a few anatomy videos. Curriculum is systems based, and they're adding in a lot more board prep resources and time next year which seems like a positive direction. Administration seems to be very involved in student life, which can be good and bad. Omm curriculum is very robust here, and is fully integrated into the the systems curriculum (unlike some schools where I feel they treat them as two separate courses, imo). Pomona as a city will seem unsafe and "ghetto" if you're not from a big city, but I live near LA so it doesn't bother me. There are plenty of "safe" cities within 20 mins of school and I'm told a lot of students live in those areas. Negative comments I heard from current students include high tuition, lots of classroom instruction (attendance optional), and high cost of living. Overall a great school, definitely recommend checking it out!

Reactions: 1 users
Primary verified 10/14, secondary received 10/22, secondary submitted 11/1, received "secondary app received" email 11/3. I called admissions and they said I should receive a complete email in 5-7 days. Did you receive a complete email yet? When did you submit your secondary?
Took me 1 month to get an app complete/ready for review email after "Materials Received".

Interviewed here yesterday and liked the school! I've visited before for a preview day so there wasn't a lot of "novelty" to the campus. First things first, the school used to be a strip mall so there's not a strong "campus" vibe. There are lots of small buildings to accommodate the different schools and it has a disjointed feel. I don't mind this type of layout but it's worth mentioning because there are prospective students who were really turned off by it. If you don't mind the campus layout then you will find a school with very solid faculty and administrative staff. All the faculty and staff I interacted seemed very passionate and smart while possessing good teaching qualities and rapport with students. I assume lots of profs apply to this school because of the location so Western can have their pick of quality teachers. The facilites are good, pretty standard anatomy and omm labs, tons of patient encounter rooms (students do 50 something of these in preclinical years, so tons of practice for boards) and a new technology room in the library that has an virtual anatomy table (six foot iPad, basically) 3D computers with anatomy software, and Oculus Rift goggles with a few anatomy videos. Curriculum is systems based, and they're adding in a lot more board prep resources and time next year which seems like a positive direction. Administration seems to be very involved in student life, which can be good and bad. Omm curriculum is very robust here, and is fully integrated into the the systems curriculum (unlike some schools where I feel they treat them as two separate courses, imo). Pomona as a city will seem unsafe and "ghetto" if you're not from a big city, but I live near LA so it doesn't bother me. There are plenty of "safe" cities within 20 mins of school and I'm told a lot of students live in those areas. Negative comments I heard from current students include high tuition, lots of classroom instruction (attendance optional), and high cost of living. Overall a great school, definitely recommend checking it out!

Had pretty much the same experience during my interview was good. My only question is, where did you hear about them adding a lot more board prep stuff? Didn't really hear that at all while I was there.

Had pretty much the same experience during my interview was good. My only question is, where did you hear about them adding a lot more board prep stuff? Didn't really hear that at all while I was there.
I heard something similar on 10/8. Their old reputation was teaching less boards-relevant material (more IPE and basic sciences that actually helped on USMLE). Now they're apparently gonna offer more board prep, especially with the LEAD office. And we had a bunch of board prep company people giving free samples of stuff like coffee and review books on interview day.

They added a new Integrated Skills course which is supposedly about board prep, study skills, etc. that lasts all 4 semesters of years 1 and 2. Also, they're doing cumulative exams at the end of every semester in the preclinical years so that they (and you) can see where you stand on the material. Apparently, those exams don't count for grades. All exams are computerized. You get around 5+ weeks for prep at the end of 2nd year.

I also interviewed here this past week, and despite almost canceling my interview because I felt that the school wouldn't be a great fit for me, I ended up with such a good impression and that it is now my first choice school! Hoping for good news in a couple of weeks, and then I'll just have to convince the s.o. to move to SoCal :nailbiting:.

Reactions: 1 users
II today! Lizzy M 64. Complete 9/3. First in state interview so I am ecstatic! Booked my interview for 12/3.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't heard anything, and it makes me nervous. I would do just about anything for an II here- it's one of my top choices. I'm currently in the SMP at Georgetown, so I'm hoping they're just holding onto my app until my grades get sent out.

Did everyone applying here shadow a DO? I can't find one and I know the secondary asks about shadowing a DO. I'm thinking about just talking about shadowing an MD instead.

There is a secondary question about shadowing a DO, so I think everyone that wants to be considered for an interview should shadow a DO prior to filling it the secondary

I had a hard time cold-calling ANY doctors, but barely was able to get a DO by asking enough people.

They want to know that you have some exposure to OMM so that if they offered you a seat in the class, you have a lower chance of wasting that offer by randomly going with a random MD school at the last minute. Any experience where you can articulate firsthand understanding of osteopathic medicine such as attending demonstrations at osteopathic seminars where they perform it on people, having a DO PCP who uses it, or shadowing is likely okay.

If you live near a DO school, you can ask really really really nicely to get scheduled to shadow a DO teaching during OMM rotations. The cool thing about this is that all the cases are OMM-related and you get to watch 3rd years transition into higher competence levels. You can also ask them about being a student and w/e. Getting a letter can be harder though because the academic DOs are generally busier dealing than, say a private practice physician that doesn't have students and doing work on the side.

II today!

What a crazy day. I've gotten a rejection, acceptance, and II within the past 3 hours lol

Reactions: 3 users
II today!

What a crazy day. I've gotten a rejection, acceptance, and II within the past 3 hours lol

Do you mind letting me know your lizzy-M and when you were complete? :) Congrats!

II today! Lizzy M 64. Complete 9/3. First in state interview so I am ecstatic! Booked my interview for 12/3.

Me too! Got the II yesterday and booked my interview on Dec 3! Looking forward to meeting you all there!

medical school isn't about getting honors in anatomy, its also about being available for people, and being empathetic and multitasking.

I can see why you were accepted despite all of your waitlists :laugh: . This is a really great perspective to have. Any tips on getting an interview if you were pre-interview waitlisted?

Next year I will be applying 2nd or 3rd week of June. Will I be okay or will that be late?

Got the phone call this morning!!! I have been accepted, and I feel honored and privileged!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone,

It's been over 2 weeks since I submitted my primary here and I still haven't received a secondary. I understand they're probably slammed with applications, but I feel as if it's still too much time not to receive the essays. Anyone else wait this long to get their secondary?

Hello everyone,

It's been over 2 weeks since I submitted my primary here and I still haven't received a secondary. I understand they're probably slammed with applications, but I feel as if it's still too much time not to receive the essays. Anyone else wait this long to get their secondary?
Try three weeks and counting.