Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received a pre-interview hold. Anyone get an interview after having their app on hold?

@ahawke100

When were you complete if you don't mind?

Members don't see this ad.

Officially accepted my offer to this school! For me, it was ultimately the proximity to my family and friends that hooked me (grew up in LA and went to college in the OC). Medical school is gonna be TOUGH and I'm going to love to see familiar faces every once in a while, in addition to new friends :) Speaking of new friends, is there a facebook group yet??

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, interviewed 11/6, was accepted 11/9 via phone call, but will be declining as I was accepted at my in-state school. Hope one of you gets my spot!! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
"Under Review" for about a week now. Keeping my fingers crossed for an II..

how long did it take for your portal to go from application materials received to "under review"

The portal hasnt changed but i got an email that it has been forwarded to the adcom to be reviewed. That took about a week and a half.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious to know whether its just one person of the adcom that determines an II or if its the entire adcom that votes to invite you for an interview who then subsequently re-reviews you post-interview..anybody have thoughts on this?

I'm curious to know whether its just one person of the adcom that determines an II or if its the entire adcom that votes to invite you for an interview who then subsequently re-reviews you post-interview..anybody have thoughts on this?
I've been told that applications are reviewed by at least two people on the admissions committee.

I've been told that applications are reviewed by at least two people on the admissions committee.

Awesome, thanks. Would you know whether these are in-depth reviews? courses, GPA, MCAT, secondaries, ECs or more like a GPA/MCAT screen with secondaries? Just trying to gauge how significant the interview is in deciding for an acceptance since it seems to vary from school to school

Awesome, thanks. Would you know whether these are in-depth reviews? courses, GPA, MCAT, secondaries, ECs or more like a GPA/MCAT screen with secondaries? Just trying to gauge how significant the interview is in deciding for an acceptance since it seems to vary from school to school
From what I understand they do a full holistic review of each application. If one person reviewing does not like it then it is then reviewed by a second person. Two people have to disapprove prior to a rejection. Getting an interview is a significant step in obtaining an acceptance at WesternU COMP, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's a big deal getting a II. They've rejected plenty of IS 3.5+ 28 MCAT people pre-II

Lol, I've been "under review" for about 7-8 weeks...emailed the admissions counselor last week and she said to just be patient and keep waiting....

First week of september (been a while!); 3.3/30 IS. GPA bit too low I think :(
I have the same GPA too and I got an interview scheduled for January.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

First week of september (been a while!); 3.3/30 IS. GPA bit too low I think :(
Hopefully you're towards the top of the wait list :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I will be sadly declining my acceptance here. It's a great school and, truth be told, I was really excited about attending, but after looking at the historical Air Quality Index data for Pomona, we decided that living here would be too detrimental to the health of my asthmatic, smog-sensitive partner. This was not an easy decision and we looked for ways to get around it, but in the end, we concluded that it just wasn't worth jeopardizing her health. Sigh.

On the other hand, I am glad to be opening up a spot for one of you worthy applicants with younger, hopefully healthier lungs. Good luck all!

I will be sadly declining my acceptance here. It's a great school and, truth be told, I was really excited about attending, but after looking at the historical Air Quality Index data for Pomona, we decided that living here would be too detrimental to the health of my asthmatic, smog-sensitive partner. This was not an easy decision and we looked for ways to get around it, but in the end, we concluded that it just wasn't worth jeopardizing her health. Sigh.

On the other hand, I am glad to be opening up a spot for one of you worthy applicants with younger, hopefully healthier lungs. Good luck all!
What about living away from Pomona and commuting?

You know that most of the students live in El Monte and Claremont, right?

You know that most of the students live in El Monte and Claremont, right?

True. Unfortunately, the air quality is pretty much the same throughout the area from Chino to San Bernardino. Here's an informative website, in case you're interested: http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.mapsarchivecalendar

What about living away from Pomona and commuting?

Another sigh. We just can't get away from the smog and still be within commuting distance. The nearest option would be on the coast, like Santa Monica, which would be just insane traffic-wise.

Thanks for your responses. It's not gloom-and-doom by a long shot. I'll be going to a decent school near my current home, so I'm still a happy camper. :happy:

Anyone accepted here this cycle with a 26 MCAT or less?

I looked into it... there are more options than san bernardino and santa monica... lol. I can name like 10 cities that would be better than San bernardino (standard of living) and a better commute than santa monica.

Just out of curiosity, which cities?

Just out of curiosity, which cities?
Most places in Pasadena (San Marino, Kinneloa Mesa, Temple City, Bradbury), El Monte, Claremont, La Verne, Glendora, Rancho Cucamonga, San Antonio Heights, Chino Hills, Walnut, Eastvale, Rowland Heights. To name a few.

Most places in Pasadena (San Marino, Kinneloa Mesa, Temple City, Bradbury), El Monte, Claremont, La Verne, Glendora, Rancho Cucamonga, San Antonio Heights, Chino Hills, Walnut, Eastvale, Rowland Heights. To name a few.

Those are indeed nice cities. What I meant was a city that doesn't experience smog. According to the AIRNow map archives, the entire region from L.A. to San Bernardino and beyond experiences moderate-unhealthy levels of smog for the majority of the year. I'm not knocking L.A. or Pomona. In fact, I loved the area and the school. Unfortunately, my partner is very sensitive to particulates and ozone, and works and plays out-of-doors regularly, so she couldn't just live indoors next to a HEPA filter. This is why we decided to stay in the Bay Area. If it were just me, I could probably hack it (no pun intended!).

For anyone who was wondering how much of a shot you have of getting accepted once you land an interview, last year they interviewed ~715 people and accepted a little over 400. This was from a presentation during interview day. They said their numbers will be more or less the same this year. They had interviewed ~150 people when I interviewed (mid November).

EDIT: Interviewed ~150, which includes the people from my interview day.

Reactions: 7 users
For those who got accepted, how long after the interview did you find out and through snail mail, email or phonecall?

For those who got accepted, how long after the interview did you find out and through snail mail, email or phonecall?
It is always phone call. They call again within two hours or so or next day if it was late. I think they work up until 6PM on some days because some people were getting really late calls in the evening (even accounting for time zones). Personal and observed posts in this thread are 5 days to 13 days, depending on unknown factors. Additionally, I spent almost 5 days feeling sick because people from my interview group were getting calls before me. So... just be chill and breathe...

It is always phone call. They call again within two hours or so or next day if it was late. I think they work up until 6PM on some days because some people were getting really late calls in the evening (even accounting for time zones). Personal and observed posts in this thread are 5 days to 13 days, depending on unknown factors. Additionally, I spent almost 5 days feeling sick because people from my interview group were getting calls before me. So... just be chill and breathe...
I think I got a call at 8/9pm PST. Was pleasantly surprised.

Can anyone describe the structure of the interview day? Is the essay something to stress about?

Can anyone describe the structure of the interview day? Is the essay something to stress about?

Come in, have breakfast snacks/coffee. Interviews/MMIs begin right after. Do not stress about the essay.

I got my secondary last week and am still waiting for the physician who is writing me letter to send it. I am really worried that it will take him a bit longer to get this done. Do you guys knows if the deadline to complete the secondary is really 10 days after receiving it?

I got my secondary last week and am still waiting for the physician who is writing me letter to send it. I am really worried that it will take him a bit longer to get this done. Do you guys knows if the deadline to complete the secondary is really 10 days after receiving it?
I would probably submit the secondary as soon as possible, and I would just let the admissions office know that the letter will be following shortly.

Come in, have breakfast snacks/coffee. Interviews/MMIs begin right after. Do not stress about the essay.

Awesome, thanks. Was there any presentations from faculty? Campus tour? Interactions with student ambassadors?

Awesome, thanks. Was there any presentations from faculty? Campus tour? Interactions with student ambassadors?

Yes, all that follows the interviews (so you don't have to stress the whole day).

Well pre-interview hold for me :[

There were former cops, PhD grads, mountain climbers, first chair violinists, and all kinds of amazing people interviewing on 10/8, just to name a few. Not mentioned to diminish anyone on WL, but I was sweating pretty hard while we were introducing ourselves that morning. Lots of competition yo.

Oh wow, you're a solid contender with those numbers. I bet you're OOS huh?

There were former cops, PhD grads, mountain climbers, first chair violinists, and all kinds of amazing people interviewing on 10/8, just to name a few. Not mentioned to diminish anyone on WL, but I was sweating pretty hard while we were introducing ourselves that morning. Lots of competition yo.

I'm not at all surprised. They post the hobbies/EC's/accomplishments of their matriculants yearly and I've seen everything from a NASA researcher to a magician. You gotta come correct with this school no doubt