Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a complete email after a week of having everything show up as complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So mine says everything but MCAT scores are in...is there nothing for me to do but wait? :(
lol unless you want to march up to the admissions office and beat them with a hammer to do your bidding heheh... no, not much you can do.
How long has it been since your scores were sent in? I have been waiting over 3 weeks now for one reference letter to show up

lol unless you want to march up to the admissions office and beat them with a hammer to do your bidding heheh... no, not much you can do.
How long has it been since your scores were sent in? I have been waiting over 3 weeks now for one reference letter to show up

I have no idea..I assumed aacomas verified and got our scores...Are we supposed to send them in ?!?!??!?!

I have no idea..I assumed aacomas verified and got our scores...Are we supposed to send them in ?!?!??!?!
oh sorry, no you don't have to do send the scores in separately. I was just trying to get a sense of your time line of when you handed different things in.
In any case, be ready to wait for a while before things start happening. Then again, for some people it was pretty quick so fingers crossed :)

Reactions: 1 user
oh sorry, no you don't have to do send the scores in separately. I was just trying to get a sense of your time line of when you handed different things in.
Phew thank god. My aacomas was verified mid-july? But I heard they were going through some MCAT troubles. I think COMP received my secondary on like 7/20 or something.

First year here willing to answer some questions any of you might have about the interview process or about the school. We have only started our second week so I won't be able to talk much about classes/exams/professors.

I'm having some difficulty with the first secondary prompt: " While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?". I don't have any direct shadowing of a DO, which makes this a difficult one to answer. Should I just answer it with why I would like to be a DO instead?

Guys I just found this on their website.... who ever is not from cali... save yourself the secondary application fee.

Attachments

• western.pdf
    8.5 KB · Views: 359
I think it is a matter of regional self-selection.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is a matter of regional self-selection.
I agree. Without knowing how many people applied out of state AND their avg stats, it is impossible to know what this means admissions wise. Personally, I tend to think they are probably like any other private Institution - they want the best students they can get. It is possible that they are biased towards in state applicants, but it also seems quite possible that the in-state applicants have better stats than out of staters, many of whom may be applying primarily because they have lower stats and are casting a wide net.

Reactions: 1 users
^^ But you do notice that the "best" students that apply there happen to be 90% from Cali.

Cali, Florida, NY, and Michigan are the states to stay away from when applying to medical schools due to large applicant pool and high in state bias. I am AZ resident and won't even bother applying here.

Cali, Florida, NY, and Michigan are the states to stay away from when applying to medical schools due to large applicant pool and high in state bias. I am AZ resident and won't even bother applying here.
I agree, but don't forget Texas! Also that rule generally applies to state schools, and in that regard is especially pertinent to California, Texas, those other states mentioned above. Just think of all those folks applying to UC Davis and UCLA who use Western and Touro-CA as their backups! That's why 90% of Western's students are from Cali. It's not because the admissions office is looking for California residents. If you have the scores to compete with those Cali folks who don't want to leave home for med school, then you should apply here.

Post-secondary rejection :( LizzyM 65-67, CA Resident, and LORs from Western alumni. Guess I'm going OOS!

Post-secondary rejection :( LizzyM 65-67, CA Resident, and LORs from Western alumni. Guess I'm going OOS!
Same here.... I can't believe it. Thought I stood a chance to at least land an interview. This was probably my top school since I went to socal for undergrad and really imagined myself practicing in the area...maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Pretty bummed out to be honest, ruined my day. :shrug:

Last edited:
Same here.... I can't believe it. Thought I stood a chance to at least land an interview. This was probably my top school since I went to socal for undergrad and really imagined myself practicing in the area...maybe it was just wasn't meant to be anyway. Pretty bummed out to be honest, ruined my day. :shrug:
Did you guys just get these emails? They send them after 5?

Did either of you guys get a complete email or just a rejection?

No complete email. Straight-up rejection via email around 4pm today.

What how??? maybe something wrong with your mission statement? 26 MCAT's have been getting interviews. most definitely not a stats issue

Western finally graced me with their secondary. The last one I've been waiting for!

I'm worried that I may not be such a shoe-in as I thought for an II, looking at all the recent rejections...Nice dose of reality for me.

Getting extremely nervous since everyone is getting IIs, and a few rejections too. My file was marked complete on 8/11 and still no news. Top choice here

I got rejected pre-interview yesterday. 3.3/29. First rejection :oops:!

If my MCAT scores haven't been received, should I be worried? Do I just have faith that they'll come in eventually? Western posted that they received my LOR on 8/10, and my secondary was submitted 7/20...

My numbers are almost identical to yours and I'm also oos, so I guess I'll prepare myself for that rejection :/

Just got the secondary... took them so long to screen me.
when were you verified by AACOMAS? I was verified more than a month ago and still havent received the secondary

when were you verified by AACOMAS? I was verified more than a month ago and still havent received the secondary
I was verified 16th of july and just recieved my secondary last week. I wouldn't worry for another week or so, they seem very very back logged.

dudezzzzzzzzzzz totally unimpressed with preview day.

Reactions: 2 users
Mixed Reasons.
They had a really cool, excited, and energetic Director of Recruitment who was very engaging and was able to present the boring admissions material in a way that didn't make everyone fall asleep. The facilities were absolutely pristine. Everything from the library, to research facilities, to cadaver lab were new and inviting. The faculty I spoke to were also really excited about teaching and spoke about how teaching and the students are a higher priority than his research. They were also very honest with the admission stats and said that they had already started interviewing for the next cycle but will still take people for interviews in December/January. They just said that the cycle gets more competitive as you send stuff later. Hands down, the best part of this school are the clinical sites. They still have Riverside County (They share rotations with UC Riverside students) and Arrowhead Regional. Also, members of the Board of Trustees visited and they seemed really proud of COMP.

Some things that turned me off were that they never spoke about Pomona or the surrounding community. There really isn't much in terms of social life outside of the campus. I mean, to be honest, I knew that coming in but wanted the school to at least try to convince me that Pomona is a cool city to live in for 2+ years. We were told that students had the option of "helping out" (more like shadowing) at a small clinic in Montclair for one day a month if you are interested in it. Another serious turn off for me was that most of the research on the campus was actually done by Pharmacy students and not COMP students, which was interesting. They had a bunch of research posters posted in the building but, while reading the author lists, I noticed that there were mostly Pharm students. During the student panel, none of the students talked about research. It seems that it's just not a big part of COMP, which is fine. It did seem, however, that students that wanted to do research had no trouble finding it on campus but don't expect collaboration or anything from other LA colleges/UC Riverside; it's mostly small scale stuff here. I wish they also talked about some of their alumni and where some of them are.

I also found it interesting that we were told that there are many classes and small group sessions that we do with students from the other colleges, especially podiatry. I have no problem taking classes with podiatry students but just don't get how teaching objectives and tests would work because we have different licencing exams with different requirements, etc. But I liked how they really emphasized the interprofessional nature of the school.

In general, the students seemed burnt out and exhausted, despite it being a Saturday and only the 2nd week of classes. I don't think they were able to sell the school as well as they could have. Just my 2 cents and my own observations. Take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 2 users
Mixed Reasons.
They had a really cool, excited, and energetic Director of Recruitment who was very engaging and was able to present the boring admissions material in a way that didn't make everyone fall asleep. The facilities were absolutely pristine. Everything from the library, to research facilities, to cadaver lab were new and inviting. The faculty I spoke to were also really excited about teaching and spoke about how teaching and the students are a higher priority than his research. They were also very honest with the admission stats and said that they had already started interviewing for the next cycle but will still take people for interviews in December/January. They just said that the cycle gets more competitive as you send stuff later. Hands down, the best part of this school are the clinical sites. They still have Riverside County (They share rotations with UC Riverside students) and Arrowhead Regional. Also, members of the Board of Trustees visited and they seemed really proud of COMP.

Some things that turned me off were that they never spoke about Pomona or the surrounding community. There really isn't much in terms of social life outside of the campus. I mean, to be honest, I knew that coming in but wanted the school to at least try to convince me that Pomona is a cool city to live in for 2+ years. We were told that students had the option of "helping out" (more like shadowing) at a small clinic in Montclair for one day a month if you are interested in it. Another serious turn off for me was that most of the research on the campus was actually done by Pharmacy students and not COMP students, which was interesting. They had a bunch of research posters posted in the building but, while reading the author lists, I noticed that there were mostly Pharm students. During the student panel, none of the students talked about research. It seems that it's just not a big part of COMP, which is fine. It did seem, however, that students that wanted to do research had no trouble finding it on campus but don't expect collaboration or anything from other LA colleges/UC Riverside; it's mostly small scale stuff here. I wish they also talked about some of their alumni and where some of them are.

I also found it interesting that we were told that there are many classes and small group sessions that we do with students from the other colleges, especially podiatry. I have no problem taking classes with podiatry students but just don't get how teaching objectives and tests would work because we have different licencing exams with different requirements, etc. But I liked how they really emphasized the interprofessional nature of the school.

In general, the students seemed burnt out and exhausted, despite it being a Saturday and only the 2nd week of classes. I don't think they were able to sell the school as well as they could have. Just my 2 cents and my own observations. Take it with a grain of salt.

Doesn't every single medical school interview applicants in December and January and even all the way out to April and May in some cases?

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't every single medical school interview applicants in December and January and even all the way out to April and May in some cases?
Probably. I'm just saying what they said.

I just resent my science letters because they said they never got them; but they did get my physician letter

anybody else have this happen? or are they maybe just backlogged?
sent all my stuff (letters and sceondary) on 22 July

letters of recommendation finally received! submitted my secondary on 7/29. should be complete any day now.

Complete 8/11, II 8/25! This is my top choice so I'm stoked!

First II! OOS complete 8/11 as well.