Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tried logging into the portal but I wasn't able to. I thought I was waitlisted because I interviewed on 09/22 and didn't receive any news. But I checked my mail box just now and saw my acceptance letter. So I assume they mailed out a batch of acceptances either yesterday or today. If you live out of state you might not get it till tomorrow or next week.
I live in state very close to western. Maybe Ill receive it tomorrow

Members don't see this ad.

I tried logging into the portal but I wasn't able to. I thought I was waitlisted because I interviewed on 09/22 and didn't receive any news. But I checked my mail box just now and saw my acceptance letter. So I assume they mailed out a batch of acceptances either yesterday or today. If you live out of state you might not get it till tomorrow or next week.
Would you mind sharing your stats with me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was driving home from school, sipping my boba and munching on my popcorn chicken. Received an e-mail from Western about Trivia Night for accepted students. Confused cos I didn't receive any acceptance mail or phone call. I called them back and they told me I'm ACCEPTED!! Sooooo happy cos this is my first choice!!

Congratulations, classmate!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on the IIs! When did you guys complete?
I was complete 9/15, and so it took me 4 weeks to get a II. I think as time passes the wait for a interview gets longer because I know some people who were complete earlier waited 2 weeks for a II.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys think that there are either II or holds? I'm just wondering if they flat out reject applicants or not. If so then we who are on hold may still have more hope than I thought :)

Reactions: 1 user
I was complete 9/15, and so it took me 4 weeks to get a II. I think as time passes the wait for a interview gets longer because I know some people who were complete earlier waited 2 weeks for a II.
That awkward moment when someone completed on the same day as you got an II and you are just sitting here like this :depressed: while refreshing your email every 60 seconds.

Withdrawing my acceptance here! It is an amazing school and I truly hope someone who is a better fit gets this spot! Good luck everyone! Feel free to PM for any interview tips/my experience interviewing here! I would love to help out :)

Withdrawing my acceptance here! It is an amazing school and I truly hope someone who is a better fit gets this spot! Good luck everyone! Feel free to PM for any interview tips/my experience interviewing here! I would love to help out :)

Where r u going to instead? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here.

That awkward moment when someone completed on the same day as you got an II and you are just sitting here like this :depressed: while refreshing your email every 60 seconds.
I was just like you last month lol. I kept refreshing my email everyday too

got the II a couple of days ago, complete on September 1st and Canadian applicant.

How much regional bias is there with the Western U schools? I am thinking of submitting an application there, but I am on the east coast.

How much regional bias is there with the Western U schools? I am thinking of submitting an application there, but I am on the east coast.
If you like boba, indoor rock climbing, avocados, social justice, and other things like that, my guess is that WesternU (Pomona) expects you to be able to get along with classmates and come together when they increase the workload slowly. I personally get along more with the OOS students who seem to be more "serious" and less progressive though... so as an east coast applicant, it might help to acknowledge a need for inner city/rural medicine and having slightly better stats than others from your region. WesternU likely reviews the CA and OR applications first, fills in the first interview slots (which have already passed), and then works on the OOS students. But yeah... OOS students do exist here and some blend in well with the CA students and others stick out a LOT. lol. We also have glorious knights of the Order of Moose (Canadians) so it's not like you should feel like it's impossible to get accepted here.

If you like boba, indoor rock climbing, avocados, social justice, and other things like that, my guess is that WesternU (Pomona) expects you to be able to get along with classmates and come together when they increase the workload slowly. I personally get along more with the OOS students who seem to be more "serious" and less progressive though... so as an east coast applicant, it might help to acknowledge a need for inner city/rural medicine and having slightly better stats than others from your region. WesternU likely reviews the CA and OR applications first, fills in the first interview slots (which have already passed), and then works on the OOS students. But yeah... OOS students do exist here and some blend in well with the CA students and others stick out a LOT. lol. We also have glorious knights of the Order of Moose (Canadians) so it's not like you should feel like it's impossible to get accepted here.
Haha. There are a lot of things I like about California, and I really don't have any issues with the people there (I have many friends from there). The SJW's are the only thing that would irk me a bit, but I would get over it (I lean slightly more to the left). I like Pomona because of the weather and the abundance of hockey rinks within 45 minutes. I'm going to need something to ease my stress ;). Thanks for the information!

II a few days ago! Might turn down the offer though. I'm from Florida with 2 acceptances already. I'm interviewing at Touro - Cali 1 week before their offered dates and I can't afford multiple trips out there :/

II a few days ago! Might turn down the offer though. I'm from Florida with 2 acceptances already. I'm interviewing at Touro - Cali 1 week before their offered dates and I can't afford multiple trips out there :/
Congrats on the acceptances! I'm waiting for an II from Western though. When did you complete at Western?

Congrats on the acceptances! I'm waiting for an II from Western though. When did you complete at Western?

Thank you :) it's a relieving feeling! I submitted my application 8/9 but my app wasn't "complete" until 9/8 due to another MCAT

Anyone here any news recently? Idk why but this school is taking its sweet time with me...

Anyone here any news recently? Idk why but this school is taking its sweet time with me...

When did you interview? When I interviewed on the 6th, they said that it would take at least 2 weeks (adcoms meet on thursdays) to process the applications.

Finally received a secondary. Do you guys think it is worth completing this late or no? Not too sure about my chances due to the regional bias.

If this is your first cycle applying, how can you assess the lateness of a cycle? Just wondering.

It isn't late for secondaries. It is starting to get late for submitting a primary for DO schools. It's kinda late to send in a primary to specifically this school (without very high stats).

I am so anxious for my decision!!!

Same! I got a nice large envelope hand addressed to me today with a SoCal return address and it was a credit advertisement -.- (even tho I assumed as much, still...)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How long are the panel interviews usually? Also it is not a group interview right?

How long are the panel interviews usually? Also it is not a group interview right?
Typically 30 min, and I had 2 faculty and 1 med student during my interview. No other interviewees. Hope that helps!

I interviewed on 9/22 and got accepted through paper mail 10 days later

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I also interviewed on 09/22 and got accepted 3 weeks later. Good vibes to those still waiting. I was so sure I was waitlisted after seeing @Until2021's post. But hey it turned out fine for me :)

Hi guys! First off, congrats to those of you that have been accepted! I am hoping I have the opportunity to join you. Secondly, I am in that "nervous-constantly-checking-emails-and-online-portals" state, hoping for a little mercy. It has been 2 and a half weeks since I had everything submitted, almost 2 weeks since receiving the "Application Ready for Review" email. I have heard nothing yet, and wondering if anyone is in the same boat/ knows how much longer I should be waiting. Thanks for the help, team!

Hi guys! First off, congrats to those of you that have been accepted! I am hoping I have the opportunity to join you. Secondly, I am in that "nervous-constantly-checking-emails-and-online-portals" state, hoping for a little mercy. It has been 2 and a half weeks since I had everything submitted, almost 2 weeks since receiving the "Application Ready for Review" email. I have heard nothing yet, and wondering if anyone is in the same boat/ knows how much longer I should be waiting. Thanks for the help, team!
The latest complete date for an II right now is Sept 15th (scroll up to see the post), so you'll have to wait a bit longer.

I'm not sure I quite understand; so everyone between September 15 and September 30 are still yet to receive an II? I can relax a bit?

I'm not sure I quite understand; so everyone between September 15 and September 30 are still yet to receive an II? I can relax a bit?
Yes, at least it seems they haven't gotten to reviewing those who were complete after Sept 15th quite yet.

Yup, I received the "ready to review" email on 9/15!