Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Although I'm a long shot for this school, this is absolutely my top choice since I'm from California and it'd be nice to stay near family.

Does anyone know how often Western sends out interview invites? I submitted my secondary fairly recently, towards the beginning of August. Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I just checked my status for the school and it says under "reference letter 1": "re-applicant need new science letter JC"

Basically since I am a reapplicant, I need to have a letter from a new science professor? Can anyone confirm this if he or she is reapplying?

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked my status and it is showing that a "science professor" reference is outstanding, even though I have letters from my two thesis co-supervisors and two science course professors. I emailed them last week but never heard anything back

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

yes you would have to get new letters, luckily for me i had one science letter that i did not provide last cycle, which worked out for me. I think you may be able to just get your letter writers to change the date or something. im not too sure about the specificity of what needs to be different

Just finished first week here, relatively chill only because I suspect they're going easy on us... Answering your questions periodically will give me warm and fuzzies between reviewing hundreds of Anki cards and drawing anatomical structures.

does any accepted student know if this school is big on research?
The school itself is mostly Pharm research, otherwise it will require a decent amount of initiative on behalf of the student who would realistically not have time to do meaningful research. As many have said before, worry about passing classes and maintaining your work-life balance before you look into research.

Does this school have a large in-state preference? I saw that they accepted a majority of their students from California! Not sure how great my chances are of getting in!
Probably 210/230 of my class is from California. MOST from LA, Bay area, Irvine, or SD. Got some NY, TX, and Oklabama stuff going on. However, based on the types of semi-curriculum lectures on work-life balance, coping mechanisms, and study skills, I am 90% sure that this instate bias is to mitigate nervous breakdowns/facilitate student stamina recovery. Family not only helps most students chill out, but also does laundry, takes your car in for service while you go to lecture, makes food, etc. CA students also have a "cultural fit" advantage. And it is highly likely that CA applicants just have higher stats and better experiences on paper. All of these small factors probably add up to the high CA resident numbers. BUT... fret not... we have a CANADIAN!

Hey!! For the question on "What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?", do you guys just pick one point about the school and talk about it? or did you talk about the school in general and how those factors interest you?

I may be a little bit over-analytical to the question because it is asking "what is your specific interest..." instead of "why COMP-Pomona" or "what are your specific interests in..." haha
You probably get a smiley face for talking about Preview Day, Health Career Ladder, or how you contacted their OMM department and shadowed one of their faculty as they taught 3rd year rotations *hint hint. Talking about location being nice might be good if you have a nearby support group. Talking about IPE might be good. Or the increasing social media presence of WesternU. Just pick something that you know you can talk about during interviews.

Hey how do you guys answer the "fit" question?
Use the mission statement and try not to repeat your PS as you make it obvious that you fit that mission statement or that it aligns with you. OR talk about any experience you have with WesternU and how they need some sky778 flavor to round out their diversity soup or whatever.

I haven't shadowed a DO, but I work for a primary care physician (MD). Do you guys think it would be better to talk about this experience (and how I want to seek other routes to treat pain) and why it makes me interested in osteopathic medicine?
This school is very very heavy on osteopathic culture and philosophy. You can easily use your shadowing to express how (hypothetically) you see that MOST patients come in because of some "untreatable" pain that is logically caused by poor biomechanics over years of habits (slouched sitting, etc.). Or that you noticed that a LOT of patients come in and feel like the appointment was a complete waste of time. Welp... with a DO, OMM can make patients feel good within minutes, and often demonstrate to patients that they can help themselves if they change their behavior or w/e.

Does anybody know what the essay part is about during the interview?
You can almost write about ANYTHING on these. Just follow the prompt and remember the best version of yourself that you want to convey and make sure your essay conforms to it.

I'm in-state. I received my "application complete" email yesterday. submitted my secondary 8/1. I can't verify this, but I've been told they give preference to in-state, especially if they want to stay in California to practice
That reason does not seem accurate. They have a LOT of lectures that go beyond basic science and clinical knowledge. A LOT of "typical" students think they waste your board prep time. Maybe they do, I don't know yet. But I know that since we probably have less true "free time" compared to some other schools, they probably prefer students who have more ways to deal with their "BS". Also... there is a LOT of value on "not being a typical med student nerd/dork". My class is full of people who are more physically active than I was when I was in the military. We have random artists, former lawyers, neuroscientists, alcohol enthusiasts and parents. But everyone gets along pretty easily. So I dunno... just my observations...

Reactions: 1 users
Just finished first week here, relatively chill only because I suspect they're going easy on us... Answering your questions periodically will give me warm and fuzzies between reviewing hundreds of Anki cards and drawing anatomical structures.

The school itself is mostly Pharm research, otherwise it will require a decent amount of initiative on behalf of the student who would realistically not have time to do meaningful research. As many have said before, worry about passing classes and maintaining your work-life balance before you look into research.

Probably 210/230 of my class is from California. MOST from LA, Bay area, Irvine, or SD. Got some NY, TX, and Oklabama stuff going on. However, based on the types of semi-curriculum lectures on work-life balance, coping mechanisms, and study skills, I am 90% sure that this instate bias is to mitigate nervous breakdowns/facilitate student stamina recovery. Family not only helps most students chill out, but also does laundry, takes your car in for service while you go to lecture, makes food, etc. CA students also have a "cultural fit" advantage. And it is highly likely that CA applicants just have higher stats and better experiences on paper. All of these small factors probably add up to the high CA resident numbers. BUT... fret not... we have a CANADIAN!

You probably get a smiley face for talking about Preview Day, Health Career Ladder, or how you contacted their OMM department and shadowed one of their faculty as they taught 3rd year rotations *hint hint. Talking about location being nice might be good if you have a nearby support group. Talking about IPE might be good. Or the increasing social media presence of WesternU. Just pick something that you know you can talk about during interviews.

Use the mission statement and try not to repeat your PS as you make it obvious that you fit that mission statement or that it aligns with you. OR talk about any experience you have with WesternU and how they need some sky778 flavor to round out their diversity soup or whatever.

This school is very very heavy on osteopathic culture and philosophy. You can easily use your shadowing to express how (hypothetically) you see that MOST patients come in because of some "untreatable" pain that is logically caused by poor biomechanics over years of habits (slouched sitting, etc.). Or that you noticed that a LOT of patients come in and feel like the appointment was a complete waste of time. Welp... with a DO, OMM can make patients feel good within minutes, and often demonstrate to patients that they can help themselves if they change their behavior or w/e.

You can almost write about ANYTHING on these. Just follow the prompt and remember the best version of yourself that you want to convey and make sure your essay conforms to it.

That reason does not seem accurate. They have a LOT of lectures that go beyond basic science and clinical knowledge. A LOT of "typical" students think they waste your board prep time. Maybe they do, I don't know yet. But I know that since we probably have less true "free time" compared to some other schools, they probably prefer students who have more ways to deal with their "BS". Also... there is a LOT of value on "not being a typical med student nerd/dork". My class is full of people who are more physically active than I was when I was in the military. We have random artists, former lawyers, neuroscientists, alcohol enthusiasts and parents. But everyone gets along pretty easily. So I dunno... just my observations...

Random Question but are there any nearby CrossFit facilities? When I googled it they all seemed kind of far but want to confirm.

Reactions: 1 user
Random Question but are there any nearby CrossFit facilities? When I googled it they all seemed kind of far but want to confirm.
Remember, MOST of the class lives in either Chino Hills, Claremont, or further away. Guess where a lot of Crossfit "boxes" are? I live 4 miles off campus and when I Yelp "crossfit" nearby, there are about a dozen within 10 minutes of driving away. I'm a psycho, so I'm gonna first get an under-desk treadmill for my standing desk and then buy a 6ft tall power rack with bumper plates to put in my apt patio because even a 10 minute drive is meh to me.

To clarify exactly what being heavy in osteopathic culture is:

The school is not into bone voodoo territory. Quite a bit of things here are also sponsored by the organization that took a case where MDs almost completely destroyed osteopathic medicine in CA all the way to the Supreme Court and saved us. So anyone who wants to go here is recommended to actually want to contribute to the semi-anti-establishment practice of staying distinctly DO but being evidence-based as much as possible. Many people forget that UC Irvine's med school WAS a DO school, but got crushed by the AMA because they were threatened by its existence. A lot of the faculty take pride in the fact that they can find SOMETHING to treat on ANY patient that would at least be a useful massage. At best, it could get the patient to get up and walk around more, or work on not slouching while seated. I have no doubt that OMM is a legitimate treatment for a lot of musculoskeletal issues that pervade modern life. And it bills well *cough cough

So now, for the first two years, we have 3-4 hours of weekly OMM training. 240-ish total hours. We do things like train our hands to be able to feel objects and identify them in a bag, through sheets of paper, through gloves filled with corn starch and water (similar consistency to human tissue in terms of hardness at high velocity, but compliance at low velocity), and at the same time, work on soft clinical skills so we know how to not be creepy when touching people (among other things). We will learn techniques and everything - but like learning an instrument, I'm still learning scales atm. This is one of the more "fun" classes and it isn't a waste of time for me.

Also, I just checked my status for the school and it says under "reference letter 1": "re-applicant need new science letter JC"

Basically since I am a reapplicant, I need to have a letter from a new science professor? Can anyone confirm this if he or she is reapplying?

It states somewhere that you can reuse your letter once then it must be a new recently dated letter . Therefore I just had the same person resubmit the letter with a current date and they accepted it.

I checked my status and it is showing that a "science professor" reference is outstanding, even though I have letters from my two thesis co-supervisors and two science course professors. I emailed them last week but never heard anything back

If your letters not on letterhead and signed they won't accept them , that may be the problem ??

If your letters not on letterhead and signed they won't accept them , that may be the problem ??

All other schools have accepted them and I've received some II's, so I don't think that's the issue. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
It states somewhere that you can reuse your letter once then it must be a new recently dated letter . Therefore I just had the same person resubmit the letter with a current date and they accepted it.

Oh okay! So I can have one of the same science letters I submitted just be recently signed and dated?

@darknecrosforte what is the interview like? Do you have any tips
Interview is done very early in the day and typically has some combination of 2-3 faculty, students, or non-COMP faculty. It ranges from super positive energy feels to serious questioning about your thinking process on some mistake you shared on your app (usually MCAT-related). My guess is that some applicants are overly-sensitive because if you already know you have some "bad" thing on your app, you should be prepared to maintain composure and be comfortably rational. Imagine what an angry patient or parent of a patient would be like! I highly doubt any of your interviewers will be even a tenth of that intensity.

Two MMIs with SPs. No knowledge necessary. I'm gonna give all you guys some gemeralds right now. Pretend you are watching some scenario and you have a grading sheet. What kinds of check boxes will there be on that sheet? Maybe "Used SP's name more than once during encounter"? Maybe "Made appropriate physical contact to try to comfort SP"? What kind of 1-10 scale would that sheet show? The reason I mention this is because there is less than 5 mins between both MMIs. The SPs are not writing paragraphs about you. The encounters generally feel much longer than 5 minutes. Yes, be comfortable with silence. But that silence should be something like 1. letting the SP vent, 2. you empathetically listening and nodding, 3. letting some thought sink in, etc. Minimize repeating yourself to extend the non-silence. Offer educational material to the SP because you don't currently know something. Don't BS the SP and treat this like a real situation. Don't be a knowledge show-off. Always give the SP options and encourage them to get other opinions from reliable sources.

Like I have mentioned before, I have written about League of Legends on my essay because it DID answer the prompt, while revealing an intimate aspect of my life that was not mentioned elsewhere on my app. So don't worry about the essay unless you have not been writing in English for more than 3 years.

Reactions: 4 users
Interview is done very early in the day and typically has some combination of 2-3 faculty, students, or non-COMP faculty. It ranges from super positive energy feels to serious questioning about your thinking process on some mistake you shared on your app (usually MCAT-related). My guess is that some applicants are overly-sensitive because if you already know you have some "bad" thing on your app, you should be prepared to maintain composure and be comfortably rational. Imagine what an angry patient or parent of a patient would be like! I highly doubt any of your interviewers will be even a tenth of that intensity.

Two MMIs with SPs. No knowledge necessary. I'm gonna give all you guys some gemeralds right now. Pretend you are watching some scenario and you have a grading sheet. What kinds of check boxes will there be on that sheet? Maybe "Used SP's name more than once during encounter"? Maybe "Made appropriate physical contact to try to comfort SP"? What kind of 1-10 scale would that sheet show? The reason I mention this is because there is less than 5 mins between both MMIs. The SPs are not writing paragraphs about you. The encounters generally feel much longer than 5 minutes. Yes, be comfortable with silence. But that silence should be something like 1. letting the SP vent, 2. you empathetically listening and nodding, 3. letting some thought sink in, etc. Minimize repeating yourself to extend the non-silence. Offer educational material to the SP because you don't currently know something. Don't BS the SP and treat this like a real situation. Don't be a knowledge show-off. Always give the SP options and encourage them to get other opinions from reliable sources.

Like I have mentioned before, I have written about League of Legends on my essay because it DID answer the prompt, while revealing an intimate aspect of my life that was not mentioned elsewhere on my app. So don't worry about the essay unless you have not been writing in English for more than 3 years.

Yeah thank you! I've interviewed there and your written overview is

Remember, MOST of the class lives in either Chino Hills, Claremont, or further away. Guess where a lot of Crossfit "boxes" are? I live 4 miles off campus and when I Yelp "crossfit" nearby, there are about a dozen within 10 minutes of driving away. I'm a psycho, so I'm gonna first get an under-desk treadmill for my standing desk and then buy a 6ft tall power rack with bumper plates to put in my apt patio because even a 10 minute drive is meh to me.
Well that is good to know. Hopefully if I come here then I can live near such as a facility since driving is not an option. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, in real life sometimes you may feel it is approporate to touch someone on the hand for 3-4 seconds....if I feel the need to do this during the interview is it appropriate or no? LOL worried they might be like "what the hell just happened"

Out of curiosity, in real life sometimes you may feel it is approporate to touch someone on the hand for 3-4 seconds....if I feel the need to do this during the interview is it appropriate or no? LOL worried they might be like "what the hell just happened"
This was appropriate for one of my scenarios. It is highly unlikely appropriate for most others. A shoulder touch though... possibly. Moving your chair or stool to be closer might be appropriate (I like to live life dangerously). I based that decision on what I had read (ie. "Oh... this is a familiar person and I immediately see that the chair is farther away than the distance I would have between myself and such a friend"). A handshake would probably not be appropriate either - for reasons I am not sure I can disclose. These SPs are highly trained. Actually had interviewees tearing up before the second MMI. It's funny and impressive.

Hey guys! Long time lurker and thought I'd make an account...I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I just received an II last week, and am equal parts ecstatic and nervous. Interviewing sept 8th, and my stats are 3.85/3.95/27 non trad IS.

I'm sure you all are just as stressed as myself, so sending positive vibes!

Also, I have a question for anyone who might know...I submitted a secondary to COMP-NW as well..can/does COMP have access to our NW secondary and would they have any reason to look at it for our upcoming interview?

Yes, it's a super neurotic q, lol. But if anyone has any insight it'd be greatly appreciated. Good luck to you all!

Current students: do you think it would be advantageous to attend the "preview day"? It's about an 7 hour drive for me (with zero traffic, so realistically probably 9+) so I'm debating whether I should go. Are there opportunities to interact with COM faculty, or is it just an overview of the programs?

Current students: do you think it would be advantageous to attend the "preview day"? It's about an 7 hour drive for me (with zero traffic, so realistically probably 9+) so I'm debating whether I should go. Are there opportunities to interact with COM faculty, or is it just an overview of the programs?

Not a current student but did attend their preview day on March 2016. It is a preview for all the programs at Western not just the osteopathic medical school so there are a lot of people around. They do break it up into the different programs for all the presentations so you aren't listening to Vet or Pharm school stuff. There are presentations about the school, the teaching methodology, financial aid, session on OMM, question/answer session with current med students. This was all in the morning and then a tour of campus after lunch, which they provide. There wasn't much opportunity for one on one interaction with faculty but there was ample opportunity to ask questions of faculty, administration people, and current students. I thought it was well done and very informative and if you have questions you could certainly get those answered. It was my first visit to a medical school so it was very good for me.

Hard to say if its worth the drive for you (7 hrs one way or round trip?), guess it depends on what questions you may have and if you like/dislike long drives like that. I'd lean towards probably not worth it. I live about 20 min. away,

The Health Career Ladder is a specialized "Preview Day" that they don't offer often. If you had such an experience and put that in your secondary, aside from an IA or substantially lower MCAT or GPA than the average applicant, I can't imagine them NOT offering you an interview. The HCL is like a very hands on Preview Day where you do fillings and look at people's retina's, etc. You also get to see some OMT, usually done by students, and can count as exposure to OMM, depending how you write or talk about it. Most medical schools also don't have other doctoral students (DMD, DPM, OD, PA, etc.) casually hanging out in the same way WesternU does, so this can help you explain "why WesternU?" better, if you're into that stuff. Also... you don't NEED to, but I was able to shadow 3 of their OMM professors because of meeting with ambassadors at events like this. One of them is currently my adviser. If you are applying only DO and this is in your top 3 schools, I'd do the HCL for sure. Preview Day is only if you happen to be in the neighborhood or want to fly in.

how difficult is it to get accepted as an OOS east coast applicant? Added western around mid july and was already verified at the time, and I still haven't gotten a secondary from them. GPA and sGPA is 3.5> and MCAT is 30>

Received 'on hold' email today. Marked as Ready for Review last week.

how difficult is it to get accepted as an OOS east coast applicant? Added western around mid july and was already verified at the time, and I still haven't gotten a secondary from them. GPA and sGPA is 3.5> and MCAT is 30>
It depends on how much you like boba and how much stress you seem capable of handling being apart from family, friends, and probably a familiar culture. There are personal branding courses here that lead me to believe that the CA applicant bias is largely functional, in terms of being able to have a very cohesive class that is less likely to get overwhelmed with the curriculum, board prep, and the semi-extraneous coursework/activities we have. If an east coast student was able to show they could fit in "WesternU culture" AND provide something unique to the class (like being a Broadway singer, Cordon Bleu chef, video game programmer, etc.) there would be no disadvantages at that point. Actually liking OMM, speaking Spanish, and other humanistic aspects should be apparent from a congruent app. I noticed that they also like to spend time sort of acknowledging how diverse the incoming class backgrounds are, like having a crazy buffet of student types. Have a faculty member, a friend, and a competent acquaintance look at your entire app and tell them to describe in a paragraph who that person is. Then look at WesternU's mission statement and essay prompts and see if they align.

Not a current student but did attend their preview day on March 2016. It is a preview for all the programs at Western not just the osteopathic medical school so there are a lot of people around. They do break it up into the different programs for all the presentations so you aren't listening to Vet or Pharm school stuff. There are presentations about the school, the teaching methodology, financial aid, session on OMM, question/answer session with current med students. This was all in the morning and then a tour of campus after lunch, which they provide. There wasn't much opportunity for one on one interaction with faculty but there was ample opportunity to ask questions of faculty, administration people, and current students. I thought it was well done and very informative and if you have questions you could certainly get those answered. It was my first visit to a medical school so it was very good for me.

Hard to say if its worth the drive for you (7 hrs one way or round trip?), guess it depends on what questions you may have and if you like/dislike long drives like that. I'd lean towards probably not worth it. I live about 20 min. away,
Thanks. And 7hr one-way. At least my car get 48mpg XD

The Health Career Ladder is a specialized "Preview Day" that they don't offer often. If you had such an experience and put that in your secondary, aside from an IA or substantially lower MCAT or GPA than the average applicant, I can't imagine them NOT offering you an interview. The HCL is like a very hands on Preview Day where you do fillings and look at people's retina's, etc. You also get to see some OMT, usually done by students, and can count as exposure to OMM, depending how you write or talk about it. Most medical schools also don't have other doctoral students (DMD, DPM, OD, PA, etc.) casually hanging out in the same way WesternU does, so this can help you explain "why WesternU?" better, if you're into that stuff. Also... you don't NEED to, but I was able to shadow 3 of their OMM professors because of meeting with ambassadors at events like this. One of them is currently my adviser. If you are applying only DO and this is in your top 3 schools, I'd do the HCL for sure. Preview Day is only if you happen to be in the neighborhood or want to fly in.
I don't see the Health career ladder anywhere on their website. Any idea when they normally do it?

I'm trying to submit my secondary to Western, but the site doesn't seem to load for me (link doesn't work)

Anyone else having the same problem accessing the secondary application?

I'm trying to submit my secondary to Western, but the site doesn't seem to load for me (link doesn't work)

Yes, I'm trying to check my status (as if it might have miraculously changed since this morning), but the page does not load :(

Yes, I'm trying to check my status (as if it might have miraculously changed since this morning), but the page does not load :(
Oh thank goodness... sheesh, the day I decide to submit...haha

Yes, same!

I don't see the Health career ladder anywhere on their website. Any idea when they normally do it?
I see now that they changed the program to reach out to high schoolers and middle schoolers of Pomona specifically now. So I guess now only they get to do the cool stuff. You'd have to reach out to WesternU's University Student Affairs or the manager of the OMM department to sign up for shadowing or find out about the "super" Preview Days. The point of such experiences are to be able to articulate "why DO" AND "why WesternU" better.

It depends on how much you like boba and how much stress you seem capable of handling being apart from family, friends, and probably a familiar culture. There are personal branding courses here that lead me to believe that the CA applicant bias is largely functional, in terms of being able to have a very cohesive class that is less likely to get overwhelmed with the curriculum, board prep, and the semi-extraneous coursework/activities we have. If an east coast student was able to show they could fit in "WesternU culture" AND provide something unique to the class (like being a Broadway singer, Cordon Bleu chef, video game programmer, etc.) there would be no disadvantages at that point. Actually liking OMM, speaking Spanish, and other humanistic aspects should be apparent from a congruent app. I noticed that they also like to spend time sort of acknowledging how diverse the incoming class backgrounds are, like having a crazy buffet of student types. Have a faculty member, a friend, and a competent acquaintance look at your entire app and tell them to describe in a paragraph who that person is. Then look at WesternU's mission statement and essay prompts and see if they align.
What if you can't speak Spanish but have been on a mission trip to a place that exposed you to Omm and Spanish as well?

What if you can't speak Spanish but have been on a mission trip to a place that exposed you to Omm and Spanish as well?
You probably need to expose yourself more (zing!) >.> (I use hyperbole a LOT so that I can give clear examples)

I would like to mention that the faculty were very happy that they kept hearing the guests at our convocation say things like "Wow, that class doesn't look like a bunch of neurotic nerds". Just have something you really care about that you wouldn't be embarrassed to talk about. Unless it's anime...

has anyone that submitted a primary here not gotten an email regarding a secondary? I submitted my primary to the Lebanon and Pomona campus at the same time but only received a secondary email from the Lebanon campus. However when I login to my secondary portal, it shows an application created on July 27 for both campuses.

I also already have II at the Lebanon campus though? Just curious if I'm supposed to receive two separate emails for each campus?

I applied to both campuses and Pomona is honestly my 1st choice because I am IS and live close by. All the exposure to OMM that I have had is from Pomona alum and students. However, I only got a secondary invite from Lebanon. On the portal, I saw that I could choose to submit a secondary app to the Pomona campus too. Should I go ahead and fill out the Pomona campus secondary? Or I should I wait for an invite from them? Thank you all in advance.

I applied to both campuses and Pomona is honestly my 1st choice because I am IS and live close by. All the exposure to OMM that I have had is from Pomona alum and students. However, I only got a secondary invite from Lebanon. On the portal, I saw that I could choose to submit a secondary app to the Pomona campus too. Should I go ahead and fill out the Pomona campus secondary? Or I should I wait for an invite from them? Thank you all in advance.
Fill it out now and submit it the second you get the email telling you to submit one. It would not hurt to call and ask if the invites are processed by two different admissions offices and if invites would normally be sent in tandem if both campuses qualified you. I would personally wait a week or two due to campus activities though.

ok, thanks for the advice! any idea why I still havent received a secondary yet? do they heavily screen OOS applicants?

Fill it out now and submit it the second you get the email telling you to submit one. It would not hurt to call and ask if the invites are processed by two different admissions offices and if invites would normally be sent in tandem if both campuses qualified you. I would personally wait a week or two due to campus activities though.
Thanks so much for your reply. Your input has always been very helpful. Will follow what you suggested.

ok, thanks for the advice! any idea why I still havent received a secondary yet? do they heavily screen OOS applicants?

I've identified a lot of my class that received IIs and acceptances prior to October of last year. Several trends emerged. Military veteran, overseas experience, URM, heavy involvement in skill-based non-medical activity. Notice that I didn't mention ANYTHING that pre-meds focus 80% of their energy in like research, volunteering, etc. I personally have close to ZERO volunteering and got a pretty dang early II and acceptance because my BRAND was military, fitness, visionary. This let me "skimp" on research and other "normal" requirements because the brand was very clear and congruent. Early secondaries and II's tend to have clear branding because they are ridiculously easy to pick out of a pile of 10,000. I THINK there are 4-8 people working on that pile at any given time. OOS probably has a lower priority, BUT it is also something that stands out so I think it is neutral. Remember, UCLA has enough applicants to fill all seats of all allopathic schools by itself. So you have the whole UC system and some CSU students taking up a lot of the seats. I suspect they have higher standards for CA applicants also since they have so many to choose from. I also notice that the OOS students are very non-trad (not merely the post-bacc GPA-fixers that have no additional life experience beyond that). Don't sweat the delay until mid October.

Reactions: 2 users
Finally got a secondary. Submitted primary July 10th. Anyone else take this long?

My primary was verified mid July and I have yet to hear from them about getting a secondary. What could possibly be taking this long?

My primary was verified mid July and I have yet to hear from them about getting a secondary. What could possibly be taking this long?

Are you IS?

As reference, I'm IS and was verified 7/07 and didn't receive a secondary from WesternU until 7/26, so maybe it'll be a little bit delayed due to the number of applicants.

Last edited:
Are you IS?

As reference, I was verified 7/07 and didn't receive a secondary from WesternU until 7/26, so maybe it'll be a little bit delayed due to the number of applicants.
No, I happened to be the OOS of OOSes, so maybe that's why.

I'm waiting for my secondary too. I guess I'll jus t start writing for the prompts. Really want to go to this school. It's close to my friends, family and my bf :)

IS, super non-traditional
8/4/2016 Submitted
8/10/2016 Complete

I'm waiting for my secondary too. I guess I'll jus t start writing for the prompts. Really want to go to this school. It's close to my friends, family and my bf :)

IS, super non-traditional
8/4/2016 Submitted
8/10/2016 Complete

Hang in there!!!!!

Btw, I'm really curious, would you care to share a few characteristics that make you a non-trad?