Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to both campuses and Pomona is honestly my 1st choice because I am IS and live close by. All the exposure to OMM that I have had is from Pomona alum and students. However, I only got a secondary invite from Lebanon. On the portal, I saw that I could choose to submit a secondary app to the Pomona campus too. Should I go ahead and fill out the Pomona campus secondary? Or I should I wait for an invite from them? Thank you all in advance.

Yes you need two separate invites. The apps you see online are created when you submit your primary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hang in there!!!!!

Btw, I'm really curious, would you care to share a few characteristics that make you a non-trad?

Mastered out of my PhD program 1/2 through, working full time as a staff scientist, and getting close to 30 lol

Mastered out of my PhD program 1/2 through, working full time as a staff scientist, and getting close to 30 lol

Sounds very unique! Thank you very much for taking the time to share :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My apologies if this has already been addressed previously... I submitted my application yesterday and all of the requirements have been received. Is it normal for my status to be marked as "incomplete"?

finally got my secondary! took about a month and I added western when I was already verified

so I am working on the secondary and I have a question about the "fit" prompt:

With only 1650 characters, did you guys focus generally on multiple things. Like "I have developed XYZ qualities shown through ABC that align well with the qualities your school promotes in its students and/or with your mission"

or something more specific like "here is an anecdote about X quality that speaks to who I am, which I think aligns well with who you are looking for"

In my mind I feel like saying I fit because of XYZ makes the most sense in theory, but with 1650 characters it ends up sounding like a laundry list that lacks depth :(

Is there uber service from Ontario airport to the school?

so I am working on the secondary and I have a question about the "fit" prompt:

With only 1650 characters, did you guys focus generally on multiple things. Like "I have developed XYZ qualities shown through ABC that align well with the qualities your school promotes in its students and/or with your mission"

or something more specific like "here is an anecdote about X quality that speaks to who I am, which I think aligns well with who you are looking for"

In my mind I feel like saying I fit because of XYZ makes the most sense in theory, but with 1650 characters it ends up sounding like a laundry list that lacks depth :(

Pick your character. For example: You are the Han Solo of medicine. Now please don't actually declare your character or archetype in your essay. Just pick the top 3 aspects of such a character and exemplify it using things NOT in your application so far, if you can. Han Solo would have things like "thinks well on his feet", "jack-of-all-trades", and "ladies man". So you would "show, not tell" these things so they get a strong sense of your character. And THEN adcoms will think "Do we have a Han Solo in this class of 240?", "Do we want a Han Solo?", and "Do we have a Chewbacca and Leia?"

Obviously, you can center your character around your main hobby or interest. They would probably PREFER that. Do not harp on anything medical on this essay because you have PLENTY of other essays to do that for. So if you are a violinist, mention a little about the struggle you had at the beginning, sounding like a cat and how you learned that if you practiced more than an hour a day, you burned out in a week and stopped practicing a while and then lost progress. But when you did a small amount EVERY day, no matter what, your efforts paid off and now you're a YouTuber or whatever. If you have a solid activity like that, maybe only have ONE other thing mentioned to add to what makes you fit.

Then you devote some part of the essay to the typical diversity of WesternU's class. They mention the various backgrounds of their students in every convocation and news piece, and I think it is something they really value. You can easily tie in most skill-based hobbies or interests with collaboration and teamwork (orchestras, sports teams, athletic trainer-player partnerships, etc.) Then a sentence or two saying you think you would add to the WesternU soup pot or whatever.

Reactions: 2 users
Pick your character. For example: You are the Han Solo of medicine. Now please don't actually declare your character or archetype in your essay. Just pick the top 3 aspects of such a character and exemplify it using things NOT in your application so far, if you can. Han Solo would have things like "thinks well on his feet", "jack-of-all-trades", and "ladies man". So you would "show, not tell" these things so they get a strong sense of your character. And THEN adcoms will think "Do we have a Han Solo in this class of 240?", "Do we want a Han Solo?", and "Do we have a Chewbacca and Leia?"

Obviously, you can center your character around your main hobby or interest. They would probably PREFER that. Do not harp on anything medical on this essay because you have PLENTY of other essays to do that for. So if you are a violinist, mention a little about the struggle you had at the beginning, sounding like a cat and how you learned that if you practiced more than an hour a day, you burned out in a week and stopped practicing a while and then lost progress. But when you did a small amount EVERY day, no matter what, your efforts paid off and now you're a YouTuber or whatever. If you have a solid activity like that, maybe only have ONE other thing mentioned to add to what makes you fit.

Then you devote some part of the essay to the typical diversity of WesternU's class. They mention the various backgrounds of their students in every convocation and news piece, and I think it is something they really value. You can easily tie in most skill-based hobbies or interests with collaboration and teamwork (orchestras, sports teams, athletic trainer-player partnerships, etc.) Then a sentence or two saying you think you would add to the WesternU soup pot or whatever.
When you mention extraneous activities, how many hours per week do you think there are of these things? I have heard that the classes practically last all day. This is somewhat concerning to me because it would be a bummer if you go 8-5 pm everyday and then haven't even started studying...

When you mention extraneous activities, how many hours per week do you think there are of these things? I have heard that the classes practically last all day. This is somewhat concerning to me because it would be a bummer if you go 8-5 pm everyday and then haven't even started studying...
I live close by off campus. Lectures may start at any time from 0800 to 1000, depending on the week. Usually they start at 0900. Lectures always end by noon. Mondays and Tuesdays are the extraneous days where you spend 1300 to 1700 or 1800 EITHER in Essentials of Clinical Medicine (ECM) or Osteopathic Principles (OPP). ECM is semi-fast paced simulations, often with the standardized patients. You take histories, write SOAP notes, and learn how to do it all in less than 13 mins or so from memory with a blank sheet of paper. You turn in the SOAP notes for credit and get graded based on a known rubric. This is probably why rotation sites apparently love WesternU students. When we rotate at Cedars Sinai or wherever, we are actually competent in clinical settings for basic things. However, I don't know if other schools do this too. OPP is where you learn your wizard spells. It also complements ECM in terms of performing the structural/physical exams. OPP is relaxing for me. Maybe this is where some may think time is wasted. Small-group/big-group hasn't really started for us, but that is Wed mornings instead of lectures. Wed, Thurs, and Fri afternoons are dissections in anatomy lab from 1300 to 1800 sometimes, but you only dissect every other day. Every day that has a dissection will have an unsecured online quiz on what was done. It takes maybe 30 minutes of looking at PPT to get ready for that. So... MANDATORY classes are ECM, OPP, small-group/big group, and your dissection. There are periodic mandatory classes outside of this, but maybe it's once a week. If you want to preview material or "get-ahead", you can watch previous year's lectures or the ISAC lectures online.

I get on campus at 0700 and do my previews or reviews until lecture. Sometimes I listen to the lecture at 2X speed at this time and then decide if I feel like sitting in lecture. But I love the strong AC, so I'll color in my anatomy coloring book, do my Anki cards, or draw the G-damn cervical+brachial plexus with the arteries during lecture. Lunch is for weaklings so I munch on beef jerky or trail mix as I wander the HEC, looking for a study room, to go over my dissection in the afternoon. OR get slight anxiety over ECM because I want to be more competent than I think I am at talking to patients whilst writing the SOAP note. I get home around 1700 to 1800 and review what I did and finish things left undone earlier in the day. Then I walk my dog with the wife and play League of Legends for two hours. If I'm feeling good, I study for one more hour. If I'm not, I play an instrument or assemble furniture that I procrastinated on. I have been able to take about two whole days off from studying per week, possibly due to my undergrad experience in human physiology, but haven't taken the first exam yet, so maybe I'm being a ***** with all the breaks.

People with complaints for free time are probably one of the following: 1) Aiming ortho, derm, surg, etc., 2) Have kids, 3) Commute about an hour daily, 4) Are of average capacity or study habits, 5) Serious time wasters who are in denial, 6) Delusional about DO schools in general (think they can do research, honor their classes, study for USMLE AND COMLEX, do volunteer work, and deliver babies in burning buildings). The second-years I spoke with who honors most of their classes tend to go to lectures and stay on campus from 0800 until 2300. They still waste 50% of the time from 1700 til 2300 on Facebook, etc. ECM is probably not extraneous. OPP is not either (it's a DO school). Small-group, yes, but you can make it work if you keep the group on track. There are a few other classes like ISSM and training sessions, but it's only a few hours. All-in-all, every class serves a purpose and if you aren't rote studying isolated facts, and periodically review EVERYTHING in a methodical manner, board prep won't be an issue.

Reactions: 5 users
So I am going to preview day Saturday (see you there if you are going!), and I am trying to decide if I should wait to submit my secondary??? I am pretty much complete (received it 9 days ago), but I feel like I could answer the "why us" and "fit question" after preview day.....

This actually sparked a wonderful thought process for me and I think I know exactly how I want to approach it! THANK YOU.

Members don't see this ad :)
placed on pre-interview hold today :'(

Last edited:
Just received an email saying that my application is "on hold." Don't know if I should be frustrated or still be hopeful. LizzyM 67, lots of research (clinical and bench) and just finishing up an MS this coming year.

i got placed on hold as well. I know they do outright rejections so I guess being placed on hold is not absolutely bad news. does any current medical students shed some light on the possibility to get an II after being placed on hold?

A lot of pre-II holds become interviews (~25% is my guess). Especially if you update with DO shadowing, volunteering, or clinical time. Upward grade trends are minor. This is very early in the season.

Edit: Also attending Preview Day, if you already haven't, will allow you to substantiate a letter of intent if you already hold an acceptance at a "better" school but want WesternU and it's after November.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know what percentage of IIs get acceptances?

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't see the submit secondary within 10 days, does anyone know how strict that is because I am way pass the 10 days?

Interview invite!!! Available dates are Oct 6 and Sep 29

Hold here as well: OS, 30, 3.4 cgpa/3.6sgpa - non-trad, work in healthcare 7+ years, and great EC's and DO shadowing/strong LOR

II, 3.53 sGPA/508- IS (LA)

This is so exciting ^__________________________________^

Edit: Received the Secondary 7/26, submitted 8/09, no complete email was received

Last edited:
Hold here as well: OS, 30, 3.4 cgpa/3.6sgpa - non-trad, work in healthcare 7+ years, and great EC's and DO shadowing/strong LOR

I also got a hold email, very similar stats and situation. I also work in healthcare/OS I even have a masters in medical science . So I'm at a loss. Hope our luck changes .

I also got a hold email, very similar stats and situation. I also work in healthcare/OS I even have a masters in medical science . So I'm at a loss. Hope our luck changes .

I guess what they say about a heavy local bias is true!

That is pretty shocking dude. Hopefully you get an II!
Hopefully! I'm fortunate to have a couple already, but I was still a bit surprised to be put on hold so quickly....especially given that since I returned to school as a career changer to get a bachelors, I've had a 3.8cGPA & 3.7 sGPA over the past 120 credits...whatever happens happens though, so I still feeling fortunate at this point to have received an MD II and 2 DO II's.

Sorry not sure if answered already, but if our portal says "Application materials received" and they have all of our materials, does this mean we're complete? Or do we get a complete e-mail as well?

Sorry not sure if answered already, but if our portal says "Application materials received" and they have all of our materials, does this mean we're complete? Or do we get a complete e-mail as well?

You will most likely receive an Official Complete email. I say this based on my own experience and what i've read on here.

BTW, I got that email about a week after my portal said "all materials received".

You will most likely receive an Official Complete email. I say this based on my own experience and what i've read on here.

BTW, I got that email about a week after my portal said "all materials received".

It may vary- I actually never received a complete email.

It may vary- I actually never got a complete email.

Thanks! Btw, I'm on my mobile device, so I can't tell if you're a med student or applicant. If you're an applicant, when did your portal say "application materials received"?

Thanks! Btw, I'm on my mobile device, so I can't tell if you're a med student or applicant. If you're an applicant, when did your portal say "application materials received"?

I'm an applicant- my materials were received about a week and a half ago?

There's a chance you might still get one. Last cycle it took a few weeks for me to get the "complete" email. This cycle was quicker. Either way, I emailed admissions to confirm and they said I should be expecting one, then it came. Good luck to you and all those that are applying here! I had the opportunity to shadow 2 of their alumni a few months ago. After several conversations (in between patients) they blew me AWAY with their background/experiences as students at COMP!!!!!!

There's a chance you might still get one. Last cycle it took a few weeks for me to get the "complete" email. This cycle was quicker. Either way, I emailed admissions to confirm and they said I should be expecting one, then it came. Good luck to you and all those that are applying here! I had the opportunity to shadow 2 of their alumni a few months ago. After several conversations (in between patients) they blew me AWAY with their background/experiences as students at COMP!!!!!!

Oh, I actually got my II yesterday- hence why I said it varies haha.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Please keep us posted :)

Btw, when are you interviewing?

Thank you, haha. There's a short essay portion that I don't know what to expect from.

Options were 9/22 or 10/6- I chose 10/6 because I have another interview on 9/26.

Thank you, haha. There's a short essay portion that I don't know what to expect from.

Options were 9/22 or 10/6- I chose 10/6 because I have another interview on 9/26.

Super! (High five!) i look forward to reading any post-interview posts by you :)

Received the Secondary 8/10 , submitted 8/17, no complete email was received all materials received

Anyone have the contact number for Western? I've been emailing them regarding my letters but haven't gotten a response. thanks in advance!