Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are we able to bring our luggage to the interview?

Good luck! Have fun :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just called! In case anyone has the same question as me. Unless the email states "pre-II hold" we're still in the ad com review process.
Awesome! Thanks for looking into it for us. Im curious as to why some would get this message while others would be offered an ii immediately, though? Seems a lot like a "pre-waitlist" status to me but maybe theres something we can do to come off of it easier than others who were waitlisted outright??

Does anyone know if they call all the people they accepted on the same day or on separate days? Common sense tells me that they would spread it out, but I could also see them squeezing ~30-40 phone calls in one day

Does anyone know if they call all the people they accepted on the same day or on separate days? Common sense tells me that they would spread it out, but I could also see them squeezing ~30-40 phone calls in one day
I think it could go either way (fingers crossed there's more good news tomorrow), however I could've sworn they said they would not be calling this year at the 8/25 interview.

I think it could go either way (fingers crossed there's more good news tomorrow), however I could've sworn they said they would not be calling this year at the 8/25 interview.

Fingers crossed! According to last year's thread, calls were not concentrated on one day. Some people got theirs days or even up to a week after the first calls.

Did you interview on 8/25? Do you remember what team color you were by any chance lol?

Fingers crossed! According to last year's thread, calls were not concentrated on one day. Some people got theirs days or even up to a week after the first calls.

Did you interview on 8/25? Do you remember what team color you were by any chance lol?
I believe it was green, but my memory is a little cloudy since it was quite an action-packed day.

Accepted! Blue Group!! Canadian! Very pleased about this!

Reactions: 3 users

Yeah They did specifically say they would not be calling and that's why I was shocked when i heard my voicemail

Accepted! Just checked my online portal today. Interviewed 8.25. 3.5 GPA, 505 MCAT IS
What portal did you find this at? I logged in and could only look at my app.

Congrats though!

Members don't see this ad :)
The portal where you submitted the secondary.
Ya that's where looked. Where does it say your status though? Sorry, maybe I'm blind lol

Edit: Wait, I found it. Mine doesn't have a decision yet... Hopefully it doesn't mean I'm getting rejected

Reactions: 2 users
The good news is that it doesn't seem like all calls are happening in one day. I imagine the method is to go through a list.

Interview --> App review --> Post review --> Decision

That's the physio pathway

On the website, the application is indicating that I "need [a] physician letter", but I already submitted all my letters, including one from a doctor that I worked and shadowed with, through AACOMAS. I submitted my secondary this week. Should I wait until the recommended 10 days to call/email? I already emailed but no response.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it in this thread--I received the application complete email a month ago, but on the portal my application status says "Application Materials Received". Is that normal? Should it say "Complete" instead?

I think i'm on hold here...they require my physician letter of rec be on professional letter head and signed. Its annoying bc this wasn't specified on their website, & I had to be the one to follow up and find out about my letter issue..kind of annoying but oh well..tis life

Any current students willing to comment on the culture of the medical school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anyone know the interview result turnaround time? How long does it take after your interview will they give you a result?

Anyone know the interview result turnaround time? How long does it take after your interview will they give you a result?

It was approximately three weeks until my portal was updated, and the website says they will send a letter 10-15 days after the interview.

It was approximately three weeks until my portal was updated, and the website says they will send a letter 10-15 days after the interview.

Thank you! I have an interview on 9/22 and I hope I hear back before my deposit for another school is due, which is on 10/16.

If you want to be neurotic, it took exactly 20 days for the portal update and 21 days for the letter

If you're one of the first to be reviewed, it may take 12 days for portal

Thank you! I have an interview on 9/22 and I hope I hear back before my deposit for another school is due, which is on 10/16.

Check your portal on 10/3, 10/4, 10/13, and 10/14. It's very likely you'll get a result before 10/16, so you're in a good position

Good luck!

Check your portal on 10/3, 10/4, 10/13, and 10/14. It's very likely you'll get a result before 10/16, so you're in a good position

Good luck!

Thanks!!!!! I hope this works out so I don't end up wasting (donating) $1500

II! completed 8/1
---
EDIT : whoops meant 9/1

Last edited:
Got a post-interview rejection email yesterday. Not even waitlisted :-/ They must have not liked me at all :-/ Oh well, their loss!

Got a post-interview rejection email yesterday. Not even waitlisted :-/ They must have not liked me at all :-/ Oh well, their loss!

sorry to hear, i'm sure you'll end up somewhere great! do you mind sharing your stats?

for the secondary "What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?" can I refer to "the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus" as Western?

for the secondary "What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?" can I refer to "the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus" as Western?

I would condense it to either 'Western' or 'COMP'

Reactions: 1 users
does tutoring count as teaching experience for the secondary?

For the question, describe why you see yourself as a great fit for our school

Did you guys approach this as a diversity essay? Their mission seemed pretty generic to me based on their website

Did you guys approach this as a diversity essay? Their mission seemed pretty generic to me based on their website

I would interpret the question as "What makes you awesome?" or "Why should we pick you?"

You can use some of their mission if you want, but I think that's a better framing

It took me less than two weeks to receive a call I believe and around 3 weeks to get it in the mail

I approached it as diversity as in terms of skills developed through X and why its epic. Came clutch cause in my interview they asked me wtf that X actually was and I explained to them what X was in Toronto and what not.....but point is that you should think of something unique about yourself. Maybe you went on this crazy world travelling adventure and learned all about adapting to new situations, or maybe you play a musical instrument, or maybe you like to swim...etc

Thats just my two cents and the approach I took.

Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?
0clip_image002.png

is this optional? should i just write N/A

Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?
0clip_image002.png

is this optional? should i just write N/A
I put N/A and interviewed and was accepted.