Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students willing to comment on the culture of the medical school?
Hm... it's a Cali school so there's the typical diversity/organic/humanism/avocado/Cross-Fit thing that permeates a significant portion of the student body. So far, I have noticed that it is easy to "pass" classes if you have a repertoire of study skills like knowing how to Quizlet, Anki, mind map, draw, etc. AND you adapt to feedback quickly. We've had two out of 4 anatomy exams so far and I can see some interesting things emerging from behind the rainbows and unicorns. I'm guessing that most of the class is passing (based on the exam averages) and the few who aren't doing so well are seeking help from various sources and OVERALL, the class is supportive. We also get along fairly well with the other health professionals. A lot of people are trying to hang out after lectures and whatnot via FaceBook (a bit too much for my taste, but whatever...) and FaceBook becomes meme central. People post useful videos all the time for studying and it appears that most of us predominantly study solo. Because a significant portion of students come from UCI, UCLA, and other southern California schools, I can see how others may feel left out of social stuff. BUT... despite my overt, dark humor and high-functioning autism-esque behavior, I somehow managed to make several friends. You will see people argue for single points on exams. You will see people show up to a dissection "having read" what they're supposed to do, but apparently not know what they're supposed to do. But this probably happens at a lot of places. I know several students who think the "diversity" focus goes too far here. I know some who want to give classmates straws so they can suck it the F- up when a test is "too hard". I feel bad for the ISAC students who became TAs because they get asked a lot of dumb questions by students who did not do their due diligence in attempting to read or watch a video on the things they ask about, in my opinion. It seems like they forget that the TAs are also first-years and aren't going to magically help them get better scores than they'd otherwise earn solo.

The school does a good job of doing what it can to minimize the negatives of class culture. This means that it is generally determined by the people they let in that year. I tried to give what I think is an objective assessment from an atypical student so keep that in mind. Good luck.

for the secondary "What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?" can I refer to "the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus" as Western?
I cannot stress this enough... this school is trying very hard to perfect its branding. Part of that is using the proper name. There are only TWO things they want to use. 1. WesternU (exactly like this or WesternU - COMP) or 2. Western University of Allied Health Sciences, Pomona. Saying "Western" is ambiguous and will likely annoy the reader. Also, COMP = College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. It is understood that it is Pomona, hence the COMP-NW designation for the Oregon campus. Another also is pronouncing Lebanon correctly. It is like "Lebun nun" spoken quickly. Not LebanON like the country we send tax dollars to.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I cannot stress this enough... this school is trying very hard to perfect its branding. Part of that is using the proper name. There are only TWO things they want to use. 1. WesternU (exactly like this or WesternU - COMP) or 2. Western University of Allied Health Sciences, Pomona. Saying "Western" is ambiguous and will likely annoy the reader. Also, COMP = College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. It is understood that it is Pomona, hence the COMP-NW designation for the Oregon campus. Another also is pronouncing Lebanon correctly. It is like "Lebun nun" spoken quickly. Not LebanON like the country we send tax dollars to.

I think saying just "Western" is fine for a secondary. I used both "Western" and "COMP" and did just fine

I'm assuming that there are a crazy amount of applicants for this school because it seems like they don't screen but regardless, it takes a month+ for them to send the secondary. Is this true/the same experience everyone else that applied here got?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming that there are a crazy amount of applicants for this school because it seems like they don't screen but regardless, it takes a month+ for them to send the secondary. Is this true/the same experience everyone else that applied here got?
I'm not sure if they screen or not but it took me about a month to get my secondary. I thought they lost my application.

Reactions: 2 users

They definitely screen in some way.

Secondaries were sent out one month even for the earliest applicants.

And yes, they get a lot of applications. I think this cycle they're expecting over 7k

Last cycle I got invited to an interview with COMP and I only wrote about shadowing an MD, because I had not yet shadowed a DO. The topic wasn't even brought up in my interview. So, you'll be fine. But, if you have time to shadow one in the next week or so, I would do that instead.

i only had filled out one of the physician shadowing slots with a DO i shadowed, do you think that's enough? I have other clinical experiences in a hospital but not directl shadowing with a physician that I could list his info

i just submitted today so im hoping for the best!

Reactions: 1 user
i only had filled out one of the physician shadowing slots with a DO i shadowed, do you think that's enough? I have other clinical experiences in a hospital but not directl shadowing with a physician that I could list his info

That is more than enough. I had only one slot filled with a DO.

Next wave of acceptances coming out this week, wouldn't mind being on that call list lol.

(referring to pizza1994 comments) I've heard the same from other applicants who got a II—having only filled one slot. So, I wouldn't be concerned. Hang in there now! I wish you all the best and hope you get a II :)

Check your portals! Mine changed to institution acceptance! Woooooo! :banana:

*Edit: Maybe I shouldn't celebrate just in case it was a mistake lol. Haven't received a call or email yet just a portal change

Last edited:
Check your portals! Mine changed to institution acceptance! Woooooo!

*Edit: Maybe I shouldn't celebrate just in case it was a mistake lol. Haven't received a call or email yet just a portal change

Definitely not a mistake.

Congratulations! Expect a letter in the mail this week

How was your interview days ? Any advice? & congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Advice is to be yourself and confident in what you are saying even if your interviewers dont seem as responsive as you would imagine them to be. If you have something unique about yourself then remember to highlight the **** out of it. Also, if some questions are hard and even if you know the answer then still pause to show you are a human that takes time to think. ;)

It was pretty chill. Had a panel then MMIs, nothing too crazy. The panel was not stressful in the least they are just trying to get to know you better. The MMI wasn't too difficult (Non-disclosure agreement). Faculty and students were super cool. I ran into a couple friends throughout the day so that was nice. And from what I saw from the first interview date of ~40 people they accepted 22 people.

Advice would be to get comfortable early, be a compassionate, caring individual, and most importantly believe in yourself! That's about all I can really tell you.

If you're having issues with stress, see this post I made not too long ago. Hope this has been atleast somewhat helpful.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interview-nervousness.1221881/#post-18140915

Last edited:
It was pretty chill. Had a panel then MMIs, nothing too crazy. The panel was not stressful in the least they are just trying to get to know you better. The MMI wasn't too difficult (Non-disclosure agreement). Faculty and students were super cool. I ran into a couple friends throughout the day so that was nice. And from what I saw from the first interview date of ~40 people they accepted 22 people.

Advice would be to get comfortable early, be a compassionate, caring individual, and most importantly believe in yourself! That's about all I can really tell you.

If you're having issues with stress, see this post I made not too long ago. Hope this has been atleast somewhat helpful.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interview-nervousness.1221881/#post-18140915

Great advice! Thanks for sharing. I have an interview here Thursday and it's my first one, so I've been freaking out haha

Check your portals! Mine changed to institution acceptance! Woooooo! :banana:

Congrats!! What day did you interview?!

Great advice! Thanks for sharing. I have an interview here Thursday and it's my first one, so I've been freaking out haha

No problem bud! I'm so very glad that my little bit of advice is helping you with the pre-interview jitters. You're going to do great Thursday, believe it! If you have any other general Qs or even just need a little pep talk hit me with a PM.

Last edited:
II!!!!!!!!!!! First one! I am actually beyond stoked right now.

Complete email 09/08, 3.61 cGPA, 512 MCAT, IS, ORM

Reactions: 5 users
Ironically enough I was so stoked about getting my II that I called my sister while driving and got a traffic ticket.

WHOOPS

If you are asked "Why should we choose you?"

Respond with...

"I did not choose the thug life. The thug life chose me"

--> Instant acceptance

Got my letter from Western today so it's official. Hope a few of you guys hear some good news pretty soon.!

If you are asked "Why should we choose you?"

Respond with...

"I did not choose the thug life. The thug life chose me"

--> Instant acceptance

My undergrad's mascot is the banana slug.

If they ask me anything about my undergrad I lowkey want to respond with "the slug life chose me"

Are there any stats for the percentage of people that get secondaries that eventually get II? I want to apply to this school but with my lowly 3.3 cGPA and 504 MCAT it feels like money wasted, especially with the high volume of applicants.

Rejected pre interview local 62LM :-(

Rejected pre interview local 62LM :-(
Hang in there! It's still early in the cycle. I hope you have more schools pending :)
Btw, may I ask you, when did you submit your secondary (as "complete")?

Hey everyone, hope your cycles are going well. I'm about to submit my aacomas primary and would appreciate some advice. I'll be applying with a LizzyM 70-72 but I don't have a DO letter (I do have what I believe is a strong physician letter written by an MD though). I shadowed a DO for about 5-10 hours but unfortunately I do not have any means of contacting him (that was about 2 years ago and he moved). I know its getting pretty late in the cycle but do you think I have a chance here without a DO letter? I could also shadow a DO while waiting for aacomas to verify the app right? Would appreciate your advice, thanks!

Hey everyone, hope your cycles are going well. I'm about to submit my aacomas primary and would appreciate some advice. I'll be applying with a LizzyM 70-72 but I don't have a DO letter (I do have what I believe is a strong physician letter written by an MD though). I shadowed a DO for about 5-10 hours but unfortunately I do not have any means of contacting him (that was about 2 years ago and he moved). I know its getting pretty late in the cycle but do you think I have a chance here without a DO letter? I could also shadow a DO while waiting for aacomas to verify the app right? Would appreciate your advice, thanks!
I think this has been answered in this thread. But I was accepted with only an MD letter. And similar amount of DO shadowing. My stats are in my signature. Good luck.

just accepted! online portal status change and september 8th interview date, very excited! hoping to hear of good news for you all, too!

Reactions: 5 users
I think this has been answered in this thread. But I was accepted with only an MD letter. And similar amount of DO shadowing. My stats are in my signature. Good luck.
Thanks for getting back to me! Good luck on the rest of your apps.

II yesterday! scheduled for 11/03

II just now! Complete September 2nd I think.

how long after application materials received did you guys hear back for an II?

i was complete on 9/19

There are only TWO things they want to use. 1. WesternU (exactly like this or WesternU - COMP) or 2. Western University of Allied Health Sciences, Pomona. Saying "Western" is ambiguous and will likely annoy the reader. Also, COMP = College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific.

There's also Western University in Ontario and they also have a medical program (one of my SDN pals went there). A ton of folks from that school would try and add themselves to the class fb page in the beginning of the year, so a heads up if any of you who end up running the class page. :)