Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MillersGirl60

Don't forget to live life.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I visited Western U today for their preview day.

I wasn't even seriously considering it as an option and now I LOVE it!

PBL sounds awesome. :thumbup:

Any Western students out there with advice for applying? :)

Members don't see this ad.

i'm sure you've heard it before and undoubtedly will hear it again, but make sure you gave that COA some serious consideration before you sign yourself up for $300k in loans to pay back.

Members don't see this ad :)
cost of attendance. western is one of the most expensive schools, if not THE most expensive.

you should look at the sticky threads up top and do a search for the recent NYtimes article about the vet med debt

It is, but I feel like the education there might be worth the cost. The way they teach really resonates with me.

I read the article. Depressing, right? I am going to do my best to get into the Army scholarship program.

I will be applying for the Army Veterinary Corp program after my first semester this fall, but have been warned that it is highly competitive program. I would NOT pick a school, assuming or hoping that I would get into the program, because if you don't, you are stuck with an incredible debt.

Western's tuition is close to 300,000. That does not include the cost of living for four years or the interest accrued over those four years. I turned down my interview there because 1.) There is no guarantee that I will be picked for the Army Vet Corp, 2.) I could not picture myself paying double or triple those numbers once I am in the workfield...

Yeah, I'm definitely not counting on the Army to pay my way (although it would be very nice, and I have been preparing for my application for that for a while now). Without it, no matter what, vet school is going to be extremely expensive. But, loans can be paid off. :)

(According to the info I got today, their tuition is 48k per year, so about $200k unless I'm missing something? I'm not taking into account living expenses because I will be paying living expenses whether I am in vet school or not).

(According to the info I got today, their tuition is 48k per year, so about $200k unless I'm missing something? I'm not taking into account living expenses because I will be paying living expenses whether I am in vet school or not).

That's a mistake. If you aren't in vet school and have a job, you pay your living expenses up front with no accumulated debt servicing. In vet school, unless you have some way to pay your living expenses directly, you'll be accumulating debt to which interest is applied.

My husband works, so we will be paying our living expenses without loans, thankfully.

PBL is not all its cracked up to be.

I think it's one of those things that works great for some, not so much for others.

Just be cautious. I was so excited to be accepted at one of the "cheaper" out of state schools, with at tuition at $176,000 (with the tuition increase per year included). Then I crunched the numbers today, adding in the cost of living (with inflation) as well as the interest accrued over the four years. That $176,000 turned into $323,000. And that is for a cheap out of state school..... Imagine the total at Western, one of the most expensive out of state schools....

No one here is trying to tell you not to go there. But the debt vs. income reality is VERY discouraging right now, so taking caution and doing your research is really important.

Just be cautious. I was so excited to be accepted at one of the "cheaper" out of state schools, with at tuition at $176,000 (with the tuition increase per year included). Then I crunched the numbers today, adding in the cost of living (with inflation) as well as the interest accrued over the four years. That $176,000 turned into $323,000. And that is for a cheap out of state school..... Imagine the total at Western, one of the most expensive out of state schools....

No one here is trying to tell you not to go there. But the debt vs. income reality is VERY discouraging right now, so taking caution and doing your research is really important.

:thumbup:

And don't just blindly say "oh, it'll work. debt can be paid off." You need to make sure you have a pretty darn good idea of how you're going to pay it off, what your income picture is likely to look like, and what lifestyle/income you want afterwards.

Having a spouse working is a big bonus, but I know I would never take on $300k for vet school. Not even if I were the youngest vet student out there with a very long career ahead of me. The numbers just don't work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely! I hate debt, so I am still trying to get my mind wrapped around having so much someday.

Maybe the Army will come through! Wouldn't that be nice. :)

I guess that did sound a bit crass, saying the debt will just pay itself off. Every step I take in this process will be very calculated and cautious.

And it can't all be about the money. I am not going to choose a cheaper school that makes me miserable if there is a better option out there.

I guess that did sound a bit crass, saying the debt will just pay itself off. Every step I take in this process will be very calculated and cautious.

And it can't all be about the money. I am not going to choose a cheaper school that makes me miserable if there is a better option out there.

Sounds like you have made up your mind, congrats. :thumbup:

Lol, thanks. Not made up yet, just a bit more open. My first choice is OSU. :)

you are going to have plenty of miserable days no matter where you go ;) that being said, i've always had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of being miserable at one school and not another. seems to me like in the grand scheme of things, these programs all boil down to the same basic thing - we're all gaining a DVM degree (or VMD) at the end of the tunnel. how you get there will be a little different at each school, but you are going to feel like a terrified fool whether you spend a lot of time in the clinic, in the classroom, or in group discussion. who knows, maybe i just got really lucky that at the end of the day, i absolutely love where I'm at. i also believe that i would be happy any where else too, but perhaps I have a more flexible personality when it comes to that?

I applied and interviewed at Western, though I have decided to go to Purdue. I just wanted to mention that even though Western is unique in the fact that they are completely PBL, there are other schools that integrate PBL into their curriculum. Purdue has been doing PBL for quite some time, and I'm sure other schools do as well. I loved the PBL session we did during interviews at Western. However, I love lectures just as much. I do well in them; I absorb the material. And I just couldn't imagine having to read hundreds of pages every night of information that I haven't previously experienced in lecture. I just don't get a damn thing from reading if I don't have any previous understanding (just simply knowing vocabulary and a basic explanation, etc). From what I understand about Western through talking to students that go there, Marsala on here and other students during interview day, there is a bunch of reading instead of doing lectures. It sounded like there might be a couple lectures a week, but considering next fall I will be in classes 7:30-4:30 M-F, I can't imagine having to absorb all the information I'll be learning in lecutres on my own by primarily reading online articles and textbooks in the library. That's me. Maybe you do really well by learning through reading. Then yeah I'd keep looking in to it. But if it's solely PBL that's attracting you, I'd keep your eyes open.

I also see you're from California. Are you from the Los Angeles area? Then that would also be a plus to you if you were; you'd be living close to home and close to an area where you would potentially be working. I kind of look at the tuition as if you're paying for networking; Sounds like third year you start working in clinics around Los Angels, which is a bonus if you plan on working in Los Angeles like I am. I haven't heard great things from those veterinarians about their students, but they're brand spanking new 3rd years, I wouldn't expect people still in vet school to be as good as the graduated interns from the program they are replacing. Anywho, location would definitely be a plus if you decide Western. But if you're not in Los angeles, why not Davis? Very well respected vet school and you'd be instate for much cheaper than Western.

And that brings that up. Cost. Bursting happiness bubbles is never nice. Not that I'm trying to burst bubbles, but talking about money/debt usually isn't happy. Anywho, when I was calculating everything, I'm pretty sure it came out to about 250k before interest. If I had only got in to Western I would have looked at Army, but since then I've learned a lot more about it. It seems like they only take 25 people a year, which is less than 1 per school. I also heard a rumor that their reducing the budget for the program, and therefore will be doing less scholarships. So it may get even harder. Also, you have a minimum of 8 years of service. +s you get a stipend during school and you have a guaranteed job after graduating and are a something or order rank when you're done. Not to shabby. I just don't want the mystery of where i'll be after I graduate; I plan on marrying and moving to Los Angeles and staying there if I get a job after graduation. But if you don't forsee that happening in your near future and you want to get paid to travel, and you think you can pull a 4.0 in vet school, then I say shoot for it. There's nothing stopping you from trying. But it is a lot of debt to be putting yourself in to if you have cheaper options that are just as good. I know vets who were instate at Purdue 15 years ago and are no where near close to paying off their debts. Granted one started her own business and built her own clinic so she had to take out more loans. But in this economy, debt isn't something I'd take for granted. And yes it's okay to be hopeful, but make sure you have your plan B's and maybe even C's in case scholarships don't pull through, or even if your housing plans fall through. ya never know is one of my motto's. Life is full of crazy **** that you never know when someone's gonna throw it in your face. The most you can do is try to be prepared.

Anywho, sorry if this is off topic slightly, or just not the intention, but I hope this opinion gave some insight.

A question: Did you already apply and get in to Western, or are you going to apply next year? some of this may be totally irrelevant if you've already applied and accepted. But oh well. lol

I've been sitting in lectures my entire life, lol! Well, my entire academic career, anyway. PBL seems like a nice change of pace and more reflective of what happens in real life.

I live about an hour from the WU campus. My husband works about half an hour away so he could stay with his company, which is a big plus.

All my happiness bubbles burst long ago, hehe! No worries there. :) I've got a plan for every letter of the alphabet! There's so much that can happen in life, but no matter what does, you just roll with it, right? Nothing else you can do. :)

I have not applied, and won't for a while. I'm just doing undergrad, will be a junior at UC Davis in the fall. I am looking at Davis for vet med, but the competitiveness and some other things I've heard about it kind of turn me off about applying there.

If you think you can get it done in three, it might be worth a shot. I decided in August of 2012 that I was going to apply for that fall, and I got in. And now my undergrad scholarships are going to apply to my first year in vet school because I still have 1 year left. Idk if ucdavis does that, but that would be pretty sweet if you could. And just in general save a year of your time.

But it does sound like you're pretty happy with what Western has to offer, so if you're happy that's what matters the most. Since it is so much money, I would keep talking to western students and read reviews, talk to the veterinarians that get their 3rd and 4th year students. They'll let you know how prepared they think their students are for the real world. If you're not 100% for sure on one place, doesn't hurt to keep digging out more information until you're completely at ease with that choice. It's definitely a big one.

I just wanted to mention that I heard on NPR the other day that depending on budget cuts and what happens with sequestration they could be taking away ALL military tuition repayment programs that pay while you're in school but before you are on active duty. GI bill would still be in place because that's separate. But I just wouldn't be counting on any tuition repay from the military at this point.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using SDN Mobile

If you think you can get it done in three, it might be worth a shot. I decided in August of 2012 that I was going to apply for that fall, and I got in. And now my undergrad scholarships are going to apply to my first year in vet school because I still have 1 year left. Idk if ucdavis does that, but that would be pretty sweet if you could. And just in general save a year of your time.

But it does sound like you're pretty happy with what Western has to offer, so if you're happy that's what matters the most. Since it is so much money, I would keep talking to western students and read reviews, talk to the veterinarians that get their 3rd and 4th year students. They'll let you know how prepared they think their students are for the real world. If you're not 100% for sure on one place, doesn't hurt to keep digging out more information until you're completely at ease with that choice. It's definitely a big one.

I might apply in the fall, but it might be a waste of time because I don't have physics or o chem yet. I'm taking them in the fall and spring but I don't know if the vet schools will accept that. Any thoughts there?

Honestly, I was just pleasantly surprised when I visited Western. I had heard strange things about it and had pretty much written it off, but actually going there and seeing the camaraderie among the students, and getting to see the rooms where each group works together and hearing about the professors and how supportive they are, was really eye opening. It's just nice to have an option like that out there. :)

I worked for a vet who recently hired on a Western grad. She loved it! I am going to talk to her about how she is dealing with the debt.

No when I applied I hadn't taken either physics, biochemistry, or microbiology. For western I had even more classes I hadn't done. Each school is different, but in general most schools will accept any classes that are completed by the end of your spring term (the one after you apply). So if you're taking ochem and physics this year, and if you have biochem (which you do not need ochem for) done or on your schedule, and you have your nutrition class, then I say you're good to go. Of course you need to have your elors as well and your hours. I only had 600 vet hours and 1 elor from a vet, and my gres weren't that hot. So it's definitely doable. If you don't think you're ready, don't force yourself, but start considering it now and it'll be much easier than completely starting from scratch in August lol. (if you decide to give it a go)

Be careful with how many pre reqs you don't have completed. I had a friends get disqualified b/c she had too many that were not completed. I think they only allow like 5 pre req courses to be outstanding when you apply.

I might apply in the fall, but it might be a waste of time because I don't have physics or o chem yet. I'm taking them in the fall and spring but I don't know if the vet schools will accept that. Any thoughts there?

Honestly, I was just pleasantly surprised when I visited Western. I had heard strange things about it and had pretty much written it off, but actually going there and seeing the camaraderie among the students, and getting to see the rooms where each group works together and hearing about the professors and how supportive they are, was really eye opening. It's just nice to have an option like that out there. :)

I worked for a vet who recently hired on a Western grad. She loved it! I am going to talk to her about how she is dealing with the debt.

Did you end up going to Western??

Did you end up going to Western??
I don't think she's active on these forums anymore. I know her IRL, and she's not attending western. I do think she may be contemplating a masters or PhD though.

I don't think she's active on these forums anymore. I know her IRL, and she's not attending western. I do think she may be contemplating a masters or PhD though.

Thanks for the reply! Was just curious