WesternU C/O 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsi924

WesternU 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would take the liberty and start this thread for all you current applicants, I am currently a 1st year, so if you have questions feel free to post and I can try my best to answer them, and good luck!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I would take the liberty and start this thread for all you current applicants, I am currently a 1st year, so if you have questions feel free to post and I can try my best to answer them, and good luck!!! :)

How do you like it, and was it what you expected?

+1 to Marsala's question. I'm going to the campus preview weekend next Saturday so hopefully I can get a better feel for it myself as well. Will make sure to report back here :)

Those applying this year, where does Western fall in your preferred schools list? What made you consider it?

Do we have any numbers on successful applicants to Western?

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to Marsala's question. I'm going to the campus preview weekend next Saturday so hopefully I can get a better feel for it myself as well. Will make sure to report back here :)

Those applying this year, where does Western fall in your preferred schools list? What made you consider it?

Do we have any numbers on successful applicants to Western?

For me it's #1 on my list because of the teaching philosophy. I like looking up everything myself, it's what I'm used to. Plus I like the opportunities available and their "reverence for life" philosophy. Just my opinion, though.

How do you like it, and was it what you expected?

It is and it isn't what I expected, PBL is something that no one person can ever explain and give it any justice, but with that said I really enjoy it. I find it a lot more engaging (hence you wont fall asleep like I would in a lecture) and you tend to retain the information better when you actually have to look up the information for yourself instead of spitting back up facts from a power point. However it is a new way of learning so there are growing pains associated with it and it may not be for every one.

I love the hands on experience we have got so far, it is week 6 have done 3 rotations in which I have done so far 4 physicals on dogs, 1 cat, 1 rabbit, vaccines administration, taking history, drawing blood, fecals and have had a horse handling class (and about to have another one next week)

Faculty is amazingly supportive and friendly and once in while like to make fun of each other, so it is amusing.

gsi924, is there anything that you don't like about the program?

gsi924, is there anything that you don't like about the program?

My biggest issue is probably the lack of research resources. I like research and would love to be more engaged with it, but it is pretty limited. There are some faculty that do research, but it is not what I would expect. The main reason that would probably attribute to that is lack of a teaching hospital, so lack of weird crazy cases, and reverence for life so they wont do anything that requires unnecessary harm to animals). Just have to be more creative about your approach to research here, that's all =)

Hey y'all, I've applied to Western and was wondering what others thought about the school and it's PBL curriculum? What about the astronomical cost of living in Cali?

I live in Cali already, so yes it is expensive but not "astronomical" to me. When I visited the preview day one of the current students told me a 2br apartment across from campus was $1500/mo which is $400 less than a comparable apartment in Santa Barbara. I would guess you can room with someone in the 1br unit for $400-500 (assuming the 1br is ~$800-1000/mo) which is NOT BAD for So. California.

School wise, it looks cool except for the low research value which is one of my interests (path nerd here) I would definitely go if accepted, but it isn't my #1

School wise, it looks cool except for the low research value which is one of my interests (path nerd here) I would definitely go if accepted, but it isn't my #1

They do actually have the neat separate path building, plus one of the country's the big name vet pathologists. She was huge in figuring out West Nile.

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dv...started/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/688918

I'm still a tiny bit sad to miss out getting to meet and potentially hang out with such an awesome, influential (and, based on the comics on her door, funny) scientist. So don't feel too bad about the outlook for path nerds there.

I'm applying, and have visited the campus twice (once by myself, the other with my mom so she can see "what the hell I'm stressing about"). I lived in the ****town of Los Angeles so if anyone's worried about the city of Pomona, just know that there's really cute towns 15 minutes away (unlike south central LA).

Anyone else stressing about the supplemental? So many mini essays!!!!

Last edited:
Got the email from Lacey today saying my application has been sent to the admissions committee for review.

Woot.

Does anyone know if the cutoff on the essays for the supplemental app is the 1700 characters or the 200 words? For example, I have an essay that is 1539 characters (with spaces) but 260 words.

Members don't see this ad :)
While being here @ Western CVM is a new experience I am glad to see you guys have a desire to be here ! I am exicted to be here as Western was my 1st choice ! I had a tough start with PBL as many of my classmates did ,but now that I have seen the benefits and had more practice with the cases I love it ! I am doing just fine and the amount of information I know from being here for a little over 2 months with my clinical rotations and clinical skill course I feel like a 4th yr J/K let me dream ! Honestly the Western U family is awesome the faculty are always going out there way to make sure we get it and will chase you down( Dr. Alcaraz) to make sure your using correct medical terminology and applying the details of your case to the Veterinary Medicine profession. I have already been exposed to a variety of diseases from the cases alone, and I am just a first yr. This is the place to be best of luck and hope to meet some of you at the interview :cool:

Does anyone know if the cutoff on the essays for the supplemental app is the 1700 characters or the 200 words? For example, I have an essay that is 1539 characters (with spaces) but 260 words.

I would try to re-edit it and make sure it is under 200 words, they make those limits for a reason and you do not want to be penalized for something trivial.

Talked to Lacey, she said whichever one you hit first. So if it's under 1700 characters but still over 200 words, you need to cut down.

I may have shot myself in the foot. The WU application portal shows they have not received my primary transcript, which I had sent on 9/1!!

And by not checking it earlier/assuming they had a backlog I have probably just kiboshed my application, as the registrar is not open until Monday, two days AFTER the deadline. :bang:

I may have shot myself in the foot. The WU application portal shows they have not received my primary transcript, which I had sent on 9/1!!

And by not checking it earlier/assuming they had a backlog I have probably just kiboshed my application, as the registrar is not open until Monday, two days AFTER the deadline. :bang:

Do you have a receipt? That may help.

Has anyone discussed the submission of evaluation letters to Western? My application summary shows 3 of my 4 letters being received. The website does state that three letters are required. However, are more than three allowed? And if not, how does one specify which three they wish to have reviewed? I sent an inquiry to Lacey, but just was wondering if anyone else had similar concerns that were resolved. Thanks. :)

Has anyone discussed the submission of evaluation letters to Western? My application summary shows 3 of my 4 letters being received. The website does state that three letters are required. However, are more than three allowed? And if not, how does one specify which three they wish to have reviewed? I sent an inquiry to Lacey, but just was wondering if anyone else had similar concerns that were resolved. Thanks. :)

I think that only 3 are allowed, and the first 3 listed on the VMCAS are the ones that they take.

I think that only 3 are allowed, and the first 3 listed on the VMCAS are the ones that they take.

Do you have a link for this? I couldn't find specific instructions regarding the letters.

Here's the link where it says they take 3:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/ass...inary/dvm-secondary-application-checklist.pdf

I think that I talked to someone in admissions who told me that they take the first 3 listed, so no link for that.

Yeah, that is the same info that I was operating off if. Says that they require 3. Says nothing about whether or not they accept additional letters. Nor does it specify the process by which one designates which ones they would like to have reviewed. A bit strange. Thanks. :oops:

My application summary says that everything was received and all, but I did not receive an email. Did everyone else get emails, or is that just when your application is sent forward?

Mine says incomplete, no e-mails here and just talked to EDS - they totally had my primary transcripts, they just were not on the status page - way to freak me out! They also said they'd taken my first 4 (of 5) letters of rec from VMCAS. (I asked because my fourth and fifth were from Veterinarians, and you need a Vet, right?)

On the other hand, the form letter I got from Lacey this morning was really depressing, it literally said "call EDS at this #, bye!'" That and the non-answers I got from K-State over the summer leave me feeling at the mercy of a terrible machine. Which of course we are. Let's hope and pray :xf: for all of this year's applicants.:luck:

ETA: if you need to contact Western about missing documents, call EDS at (909)-706-3671

Last edited:
Mine says incomplete, no e-mails here and just talked to EDS - they totally had my primary transcripts, they just were not on the status page - way to freak me out! They also said they'd taken my first 4 (of 5) letters of rec from VMCAS. (I asked because my fourth and fifth were from Veterinarians, and you need a Vet, right?)

On the other hand, the form letter I got from Lacey this morning was really depressing, it literally said "call EDS at this #, bye!'" That and the non-answers I got from K-State over the summer leave me feeling at the mercy of a terrible machine. Which of course we are. Let's hope and pray :xf: for all of this year's applicants.:luck:

ETA: if you need to contact Western about missing documents, call EDS at (909)-706-3671

They could just be busy too. I'm sure they are doing their best to efficiently direct people to the appropriate department.

anyone else still having incomplete app troubles? i am finding western's admission office to extremely rigid as compared to the people i've spoken to at other schools... anyone know why that is?

was anyone given access to the western tracking page before they submitted the supplemental application? alternatively, were you guys emailed each time they received something that they _do_ have? it says on their apply now page, "To give you peace of mind, we will e-mail you when each part of your application has been received."

anyone else still having incomplete app troubles? i am finding western's admission office to extremely rigid as compared to the people i've spoken to at other schools... anyone know why that is?

was anyone given access to the western tracking page before they submitted the supplemental application? alternatively, were you guys emailed each time they received something that they _do_ have? it says on their apply now page, "To give you peace of mind, we will e-mail you when each part of your application has been received."

My situation lends me to agree wholeheartedly. Several months ago I worked with their admissions adviser to complete the pre-req worksheet. She e-mailed me a copy of the form, said that everything was is good standing and encouraged me to apply this cycle. I submitted my VMCAS, eLORs, supplemental, transcripts, GRE scores and application fee on time. Everything seemed in order. The tracking page was not accessible until the day of the deadline after I submitted supplemental. I had hopped on a plane and was flying out to Philly to be with my ailing mother and tend to her surrogate needs. I found out the following day that my application would not be reviewed by Western due to the fact that I had not re-submitted the Pre-Req worksheet. A mere formality that simply re-states information that they already possess in my transcripts and that their own staff member had completed for me. I made the mistake of thinking that the previously prepared worksheet, an identical form to the one missing, would be placed in my file for review. I have contacted the school in hopes of seeking an alternative resolution to this situation. It is frustrating to be deemed ineligible after so many years of work and preparation. And to not even be considered due to what seems to be the smallest of technicalities makes it harder to swallow. My hopes of the school re-considering their position are gone and I am resigned to hoping that one of my other four apps are successful. Welcome to the machine. Sucks to be a tiny cog, or even worse, just a number.... :xf:

I have to admit, I've had a great experience with Lacey and Western so far. Her correspondence with me has been spot-on and incredibly prompt. I did, however, call their office at least once a week while I was getting all my application materials sent out. Lacey was great, incredibly patient, and extremely helpful.

It says on my checklist that I don't have my supplemental (which is odd, since you can't reach the checklist without doin your supplemental) and my GRE. Lacey said give it 10-15 business days for them to process everything! I think in time they will let people know what is missing. Remember, EDS is processing all the OTHER prof schools too! I'd say sit tight.

I understand that they need time to process certain items, however, once determined as missing, there is almost no way for an applicant to reconcile the issue of missing items...

Other admissions offices are much more understanding than Western. At least, that is the impression I am getting from dealing with them... most of the other schools (Cornell, Davis, Illinois, etc.) seem to understand that if 95% of your materials are in, particularly the more challenging/costly/etc. items such as GREs, transcripts, etc. are in, that you wouldn't simply neglect to send a more simple form, and they are inclined to allow you to send it to them immediately, once its discovered as missing. Western seems somewhat unprofessional in how they've designed this rigid, uncompromising process. I stumbled on an older example of someone's complaints in dealing with one of the admissions counselors and I feel exactly as they do....
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-684116.html

You'd think that as a newer school, Western would try to distinguish itself as being forward-thinking and flexible...

I am having issues as well. On 10/14 my checklist (which I printed out) showed everything as received, and now it shows all but 1 transcript not received. I called Lacey and she said that she has my transcripts and doesn't know why they disappeared from the checklist. I also have an email from her that says that my transcripts from last year were pulled forward. I hope that it all gets straightened out. :scared:

Last edited:
My situation lends me to agree wholeheartedly. Several months ago I worked with their admissions adviser to complete the pre-req worksheet. She e-mailed me a copy of the form, said that everything was is good standing and encouraged me to apply this cycle. I submitted my VMCAS, eLORs, supplemental, transcripts, GRE scores and application fee on time. Everything seemed in order. The tracking page was not accessible until the day of the deadline after I submitted supplemental. I had hopped on a plane and was flying out to Philly to be with my ailing mother and tend to her surrogate needs. I found out the following day that my application would not be reviewed by Western due to the fact that I had not re-submitted the Pre-Req worksheet. A mere formality that simply re-states information that they already possess in my transcripts and that their own staff member had completed for me. I made the mistake of thinking that the previously prepared worksheet, an identical form to the one missing, would be placed in my file for review. I have contacted the school in hopes of seeking an alternative resolution to this situation. It is frustrating to be deemed ineligible after so many years of work and preparation. And to not even be considered due to what seems to be the smallest of technicalities makes it harder to swallow. My hopes of the school re-considering their position are gone and I am resigned to hoping that one of my other four apps are successful. Welcome to the machine. Sucks to be a tiny cog, or even worse, just a number.... :xf:

I would just go back through your emails or other communication regarding this, and see if it was ever said that you need to send them in again... if it wasn't ever explicitly said, you might be to use that? Sucky situation, though. :thumbdown:

Yeah, that is the same info that I was operating off if. Says that they require 3. Says nothing about whether or not they accept additional letters. Nor does it specify the process by which one designates which ones they would like to have reviewed. A bit strange. Thanks. :oops:

When I applied last year, I called to ask about this since I had one more LOR than was allowed through VMCAS. Lacey said that was no problem, and I had the person send the letter directly to the admissions office. I would certainly call and make sure that this is still the case, but it was fine for me last year.

I would just go back through your emails or other communication regarding this, and see if it was ever said that you need to send them in again... if it wasn't ever explicitly said, you might be to use that? Sucky situation, though. :thumbdown:

I tried to highlight such ambiguity in directions to no avail. The email that I received upon completion of my worksheet stated:

"You have satisfied all of our prerequisites and I would recommend applying for the Fall 2012 entering class."

I diligently combed over all of my various applications to make sure that nothing was incomplete. Every time that I came across the "pre-requisite worksheet" component I simply assumed that the formerly-completed worksheet sufficiently fulfilled this aspect of the application. That was my only mistake. Everything else was submitted and on time. They have all of the necessary information needed to review my file laid on on the worksheet they prepared for me and verified within my submitted transcripts. They are however determine to adhere to the notion that by not understanding that I was to copy the worksheet onto another identical form and re-submit I have rendered myself ineligible for consideration. The only suggested resolution by their staff was that if I was "not offered a seat in another program we encourage you to re-apply beginning in June 2012 for the fall 2013 entering class. Please e-mail me with any additional admissions questions." Very discouraging.

When I applied last year, I called to ask about this since I had one more LOR than was allowed through VMCAS. Lacey said that was no problem, and I had the person send the letter directly to the admissions office. I would certainly call and make sure that this is still the case, but it was fine for me last year.

VMCAS allows for the submission of more than 3 letters. However, as it as explained to me by Western, only 3 of the letters go into the applicant's file, yet all letters are reviewed. Their words exactly:

"Also, we only record three evaluations in your file, but the admissions committee will read all letters submitted."

Another ambiguity in my opinion. However, in their defense, I had the opportunity to contact them with any questions resolving any potential confusion. Still frustrating that such tiny technicalities can derail one's future in such a profound way without any means afforded for alternative resolution of problems.

I am a little worried. I sent a message to the EDS about the fact that my application was complete and now is incomplete (transcripts disappeared), and have not gotten a response. I don't want to be disqualified because someone on their end made a mistake.

did your page say "application complete" before?
mine says "application materials received"

did your page say "application complete" before?
mine says "application materials received"

Mine did say "Application Materials Received" and it showed everything was there, and now the transcripts are gone and it says "Incomplete-Items Outstanding".

Mine did say "Application Materials Received" and it showed everything was there, and now the transcripts are gone and it says "Incomplete-Items Outstanding".

Any change? Mine still hasnt :scared:

Any change? Mine still hasnt :scared:

Nope. Lacey said that it was definitely an error on their part, as she had my file with the transcripts on her desk. It hasn't changed in the week since I talked to her, though, so I am emailing again today.

:scared::scared::scared:

Success!! Allllll my items have finally been received! After many emails and phone messages, I think they got the point. Plan C was to drive down there and wave my supplemental essays in their faces lol.

Finally! Everything is in order now, & I can worry about something different. Like getting an interview.

hey, is anyone having trouble loading the secondary application through the link on the apply now page? i just wanted to log in to see if anything had changed on my page and it will not load at all...

hey, is anyone having trouble loading the secondary application through the link on the apply now page? i just wanted to log in to see if anything had changed on my page and it will not load at all...

I just signed on to check and I was able to view mine without any problems

I just checked mine too. Everything was fine and unchanged.

My page still only says "Application Materials Received" ...anyone else have this as their application status? If not, what do yours say? I thought it should say "Application Processed" or "Complete" or something clearer by now....

My page still only says "Application Materials Received" ...anyone else have this as their application status? If not, what do yours say? I thought it should say "Application Processed" or "Complete" or something clearer by now....

That's it. You are done. I don't think it's like other schools where they notify if you have been reviewed or not. Now you just have to sit tight!

"Application Materials Received" here. :D