WesternU C/O 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm assuming the admissions office is closed on Mon for MLK jr day? Does anyone know for sure? One more day before they send out more invites!!!! :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Just bought my suit yesterday for my interview.. I'm hoping that I won't be too hot in California.. because I was hot just trying it on in the store lol but they said it was the lightest suit they had! Anyone else worried about this?

Just bought my suit yesterday for my interview.. I'm hoping that I won't be too hot in California.. because I was hot just trying it on in the store lol but they said it was the lightest suit they had! Anyone else worried about this?

You don't spend much time outside, and you can always take off the jacket while you are en route.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just bought mine too... :D Mine is really light so I'm not as worried about that as I am buying this darn plane ticket! :eek: I'm sure you will be ok. :thumbup: Bring lots of deodorant! ;)

So I'm really starting to freak out about the interview. I just know they're going to ask me a question and my mind is going to go completely blank and I won't be able to think of anything to respond with. :( I've been doing my best to prepare for behavioral style interview questions but there's so many different questions they could ask. Does anyone have any advice on particular scenarios that I should focus on?

So I'm really starting to freak out about the interview. I just know they're going to ask me a question and my mind is going to go completely blank and I won't be able to think of anything to respond with. :( I've been doing my best to prepare for behavioral style interview questions but there's so many different questions they could ask. Does anyone have any advice on particular scenarios that I should focus on?[/QUOT

Well the vet I'm working with now went to western and they did some interviews last year and are doing a couple this year. They told me to make sure I focus on how I work well in groups and with others. Like they might ask you how you deal with conflict and give an example. Or how you overcame a challenge. stuff like that just make sure you always talk about how you learned from the experience because they told me when they asked one applicant if they had traveled they just went on and on about all the places they have been instead of going into what they learned from traveling. And if you haven't already look at the past interview feedback because most of the questions they ask are there. I hope this helps. :)

I just came up with about six different 'stories' that I could use to apply to several questions. In the end, there was only about one that I had to come up with something new for, and it wasn't too bad. Also, the questions on the interview feedback section of SDN were really similar to what they asked, so definitely have a look at that.

I just came up with about six different 'stories' that I could use to apply to several questions. In the end, there was only about one that I had to come up with something new for, and it wasn't too bad. Also, the questions on the interview feedback section of SDN were really similar to what they asked, so definitely have a look at that.
Thanks so much for the advice, twelvetigers & spunkymaddie! I didn't even know that there was an interview feedback section on this site! you guys are lifesavers!

Remember for the interviews to be yourself and don't make things up. Have a couple of situations which may exemplify multiple skills you have. Don't be afraid to not speak, silence isn't always bad. It's better to sit and think, take a sip of water, and breathe than to say something that doesn't make any sense or to go on for a long time with a story that desn't answer their question. Most of all RELAX, I know it's hard trust me! but remember that you are qualified to be there, if you weren't you wouldn't have an interview. And one of the big things they talk about at Western is that everyone is human and it's more about how you deal with not having the answers or making mistakes that show them your character.

GOOD LUCK potential class of 2016! :thumbup: You can do it!

Does anyone know if rejection letters will be sent via email or snail mail this year? I recieved my rejection from Western last year in the mail..... Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen any new interview invites for Western. Whats going on over there!!?!?! They still have all the dates in feb to fill, don't they?

I haven't seen any new interview invites for Western. Whats going on over there!!?!?! They still have all the dates in feb to fill, don't they?

I spoke to Lacey this morning and she said they had some technical difficulties with EDS, especially since this is the first year they are doing everything online and that backed up all of the applications. I asked about my application and she said it was still in its second review and hopefully I will hear by next week. My application was completed on December 20th if that helps.

Gah. Still no app complete email!!!!

Flight, hotel, and rental car all booked. Woot.

Flight, hotel, and rental car all booked. Woot.

Yep me too, minus the rental car... I found a hotel that shuttles to and from the airport, and the school :D. I may need you to pick me up and bring me to an In and Out Burger though! ;):smuggrin:
Hope it didn't drain your bank account as badly as mine! :scared:

Yep me too, minus the rental car... I found a hotel that shuttles to and from the airport, and the school :D. I may need you to pick me up and bring me to an In and Out Burger though! ;):smuggrin:
Hope it didn't drain your bank account as badly as mine! :scared:

Go to the In-n-Out in Baldwin Park, it's next to the 1st one! Plus it's right off the 10, 20 minutes away from Western.

Go to the In-n-Out in Baldwin Park, it's next to the 1st one! Plus it's right off the 10, 20 minutes away from Western.

OH NO!!! That's the closest one to Western? I was hoping there would be one right around campus somewhere so I could walk :( *sigh*

In n Out FTW!!

Emiloo, I don't mind giving you a ride to an In n Out :p I actually found some pretty good deals on everything.

In n Out FTW!!

Emiloo, I don't mind giving you a ride to an In n Out :p I actually found some pretty good deals on everything.

Haha I was just kidding (kind of ;)) but I appreciate it. I actually found 2 of them within 3 miles of campus (yes, I looked it up :D) My boyfriend has had it before and when he found out I had an interview in California that was the only thing he said to me... not "congrats", not "that's awesome", just "OMG YOU HAVE TO EAT AT IN N OUT BURGER" :laugh: Maybe I'll see ya there!:)

Haha I was just kidding (kind of ;)) but I appreciate it. I actually found 2 of them within 3 miles of campus (yes, I looked it up :D) My boyfriend has had it before and when he found out I had an interview in California that was the only thing he said to me... not "congrats", not "that's awesome", just "OMG YOU HAVE TO EAT AT IN N OUT BURGER" :laugh: Maybe I'll see ya there!:)

Haha really? I never thought it was anything super special. You have to get your burger animal style tho. It's not on the menu!

I was always more a fan of chipotle. But now I feel like a in n out, even tho I have the stomach flu. Pudding just ain't cutting it

Well if you find yourself stranded and in need of a ride, I don't mind. :) I'm staying in Chino Hills.

My sister and mom said the same thing to me about going to Cali- OMG YOU HAVE TO GO TO IN N OUT BURGER! Lol.

Well if you find yourself stranded and in need of a ride, I don't mind. :) I'm staying in Chino Hills.

My sister and mom said the same thing to me about going to Cali- OMG YOU HAVE TO GO TO IN N OUT BURGER! Lol.

Haha Ok thanks so much. I'm staying at the Shilo Inn. Can't wait to meet everyone! :D

Last edited:
Excited for the interview next weekend, plus it has the added bonus of giving me a break from the snow, cold, and crappy weather here. Just hope that there isn't weather interfering with my flight! :xf::luck:

Hopefully the weather will be nice for next weekend! It's 100% of rain tomorrow and is horridly windy!!!

EDIT: this post was dedicated to Marsala, who was weirded out by my . :p

Last edited:
OH MY GOD, IN N OUT! And amazing Mexican food, and sunshine, and the beach... <3 Southern California

Hopefully the weather will be nice for next weekend! It's 100% of rain tomorrow and is horridly windy!!!

Lol, thanks! BTW I hope you surprise us by following through with your idea...

Just checked the weather and it's supposed to be sunny and 80!!!! I'm going to have a heat stroke in my suit hahaha

Random question, but I plan on applying to Western U next cycle and just saw they updated the prereqs for the Fall 2012 entering class. It now includes a Humanities/Social Science section, which I'm positive wasn't there before...

My question is, do they mean it's updated for the Fall 2013 class since you guys have already submitted your applications and changing the prereqs is too late now? Just wondering if someone could explain this...

Random question, but I plan on applying to Western U next cycle and just saw they updated the prereqs for the Fall 2012 entering class. It now includes a Humanities/Social Science section, which I'm positive wasn't there before...

My question is, do they mean it's updated for the Fall 2013 class since you guys have already submitted your applications and changing the prereqs is too late now? Just wondering if someone could explain this...

On the prereq page it says "Updated for Class Entering 2012", and I'm pretty sure it's the standards I followed for applying this year. There were humanities/social science requirements before. What changed was the addition of an upper-division physiology requirement.

Just checked the weather and it's supposed to be sunny and 80!!!! I'm going to have a heat stroke in my suit hahaha

Yes. It's going from 66 to 80 degrees. Seems a bit odd to me. But whatever. I'll be at Hermosa beach.

Haha Marsala, I'd think that would be hilarious!!! And I can get so riled up and push over one of their weird statues (you'll see what I mean when you get there!)

Yes. It's going from 66 to 80 degrees. Seems a bit odd to me. But whatever. I'll be at Hermosa beach.

Haha Marsala, I'd think that would be hilarious!!! And I can get so riled up and push over one of their weird statues (you'll see what I mean when you get there!)

Oh I saw them last year. Creeped me out. They look so real at night...
:scared:

Oh I saw them last year. Creeped me out. They look so real at night...
:scared:

My friend who got into the DO program this year asked her tour guide, and they said they were by a famous artist??? Idk, I wish they were bronzed or
Something....

On the prereq page it says "Updated for Class Entering 2012", and I'm pretty sure it's the standards I followed for applying this year. There were humanities/social science requirements before. What changed was the addition of an upper-division physiology requirement.

Hmm...I printed out the prerequisites page a month ago and it says "For Class Entering 2011" and it's in black instead of red, and there is no humanities/social science requirement. Do they just take forever to update the website or something? How would I know if it's different for the class entering in 2013? :confused:

Hmm...I printed out the prerequisites page a month ago and it says "For Class Entering 2011" and it's in black instead of red, and there is no humanities/social science requirement. Do they just take forever to update the website or something? How would I know if it's different for the class entering in 2013? :confused:

You can either email the people there and ask if there are any changes to the prereqs for people applying next year, or they will probably post changes after they get this years admissions sorted out. That would be my guess.

YAY! I guess western is up and running again! I got an interview invite today!!! I'll be there the 4th of Feb!!! :-D

fromthebox, my gremlins are also chattering.... i feel like the date of the app complete email is irrelevant

fromthebox, my gremlins are also chattering.... i feel like the date of the app complete email is irrelevant

Zoovet, I think you and I were officially the last two applications received. Not that the gremlins will care. :smuggrin:

Zoovet, I think you and I were officially the last two applications received. Not that the gremlins will care. :smuggrin:

...I agree but I received my app complete email 2nd week of December... so does that trump the actual receipt of the application? the fact that it was "complete" before some others'?

hey guys! I finally got my app complete email, so they're finally getting out of that backlog :) just thought some of you might have wanted to know

...I agree but I received my app complete email 2nd week of December... so does that trump the actual receipt of the application? the fact that it was "complete" before some others'?

I really don't know. But it sounds like the wait is almost over. Best of luck!

hey guys! I finally got my app complete email, so they're finally getting out of that backlog :) just thought some of you might have wanted to know

FINALLY!!!! I just received the email also! Now I just have gremlins.

EDIT: hm it says interviews are held late January. There is no WAY they could process these that quickly, right? I mean, in theory I don't need to prepare any travel arrangements. But still...

FINALLY!!!! I just received the email also! Now I just have gremlins.

EDIT: hm it says interviews are held late January. There is no WAY they could process these that quickly, right? I mean, in theory I don't need to prepare any travel arrangements. But still...

Mine is Jan 31st, but I was offered it a few weeks ago...?? They may be holding them later since they got so backed up, but still sent out the general email they sent everyone else... :confused:

According to their calender on the website, they're doing interviews all the way through mid feb. I wonder if they'll extend them anyway since they're behind.

According to their calender on the website, they're doing interviews all the way through mid feb. I wonder if they'll extend them anyway since they're behind.

So far the interview dates are Jan 28, 30, 31, Feb 4, 6, 7 and Feb 11, 13, 14.
For the past 2 cycles, they have added dates in addition to these.
Remember to try not to stress too much (easier said than done, I know) because I didn't get my interview invite until half-way through their posted interview dates and I interviewed on the "added" interview dates which were in late February. On the bright side I had less time to wait for the decision letters which were sent out a couple of weeks later (around March 15th).
Good luck to those of you still waiting for an interview invite.
Good luck to those of you interviewing in the next couple of weeks. We are excited to meet you. I will be helping as a student ambassador on some of those interview dates. :)