WesternU C/O 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man I am getting heart broken from all this In N Out bashing, I worked there for three years in high school/college, and till this day I swear by everything they do. How many people can say that after working in a particular restaurant or fast food joint? I hope it was an extreme isolated event for most of you.

And I can see where the fries may seem raw or undercook, but that is how it is since it is literally real potatoes, they peel them in the back, bring them up to the kitchen to dice them and then get tossed in the fryer, not frozen or have any additional stuff to make them crunchier like other places.

If you were truly disappointed call their customer service center, they are an amazing group that will always try to make things right.
i went to the in n out in pomona for my first time last weekend on the day of my interview & it was delicious, so don't feel too bad. i'm sure the negative experiences were just isolated events, like you said. haha okay, sorry for starting this topic up all over again!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's (hopefully) isolated one time events. I've had burgers there before that have given me more than four itty bitty chopped up grilled onions!

Dr Sabes, what time is your interview? Mine is at 845 on the 4th. Also about the suits and such, I think women have a lot more to worry about. I too was worrying about my nails and my makeup and my suit and my heels etc. Im not normally very girly, but its amazing what you start to think about when you feel like one hair out of place may cause you NOT to get into vet school (not that thats the case!)

my interview is at 8:15am! So i will most likely see you there! Yes, i was super stressed about all those things too... :) i'm sure we're going to be fine tomorrow though AND we'll look great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, In n Out is money ... at least a billion times better than McDonalds.

If the fries are too soggy for your taste, ask for well done. Also, don't forget the neapolitan shake!!

See you all tomorrow morning and kick butt!

Dude, In n Out is money ... at least a billion times better than McDonalds.

If the fries are too soggy for your taste, ask for well done. Also, don't forget the neapolitan shake!!

See you all tomorrow morning and kick butt!

you are going to be there tomorrow morning? I will be there in the afternoon so I think I can catch you for a little bit

Enough In n Out!

White Castle. That is all.:D

Enough In n Out!

White Castle. That is all.:D

... The only white castle we have is in the frozen food section at Von's. My mom says it was really good back in NJ

White Castle is amazing :love: I like In N Out too but I think it's overhyped

They just built a white castle here and all the students went crazy (theres 5 colleges in this area).. I have yet to try it though

Yeah, heading out now. Hope to catch up with you!

Interview today, all in all not bad. Those of you still waiting, they did say they were still processing applications and may be adding dates. Good luck everyone!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone like Five Guys? Pretty sure this thread should be retitled to fast food fued.

:D I do~ plenty of toppings and their cajun fries are super yummy.
gosh I'm such a fast food junkie :whistle:

I'll try to get off the topic of fast food...don't be mad!

Just an observation, but looking through the Successful Applicant Stats of 2015 thread, there didn't seem to be very many people from Western on there. In fact, many people decline interviews or withdraw their apps.

I guess my questions are: Are there very few people that apply to Western U? Or maybe not many people that apply and attend have SDN accounts? Why do so many people decline invitations and withdraw their applications?

Just an observation, but looking through the Successful Applicant Stats of 2015 thread, there didn't seem to be very many people from Western on there. In fact, many people decline interviews or withdraw their apps.

I guess my questions are: Are there very few people that apply to Western U? Or maybe not many people that apply and attend have SDN accounts? Why do so many people decline invitations and withdraw their applications?

According to their stats page, Western gets 700ish apps each year. I would guess the declines/withdrawals of apps would be because the person gets in to their IS school which costs a lot less.

I would say the same thing as Marsala. And however sad it is, there are still those people who apply to Western as a back up because it is so new. Although it is getting better, some vets, more commonly older ones, may treat Western U like it is a black sheep. If someone is bothered by this, I don't know why they would apply anyway though!

People apply to Western as a back up?! It's awesome and I'm surprised by this fact!

People apply to Western as a back up?! It's awesome and I'm surprised by this fact!

Western isn't alone, people apply to other schools as 'back-up'. A lot of people use the Caribbean schools as 'back-up', and that doesn't mean that a Caribbean school grad is less of a vet.

Another thing to consider when evaluating why Western isn't 'popular' is that a lot of people are not comfortable with PBL. It isn't for everyone. Some people prefer to be lectured at. No right or wrong here, just what works for the individual. If I had to hazard a guess, the (almost total) PBL format is what scares off a lot of applicants. I don't think 700+ apps is too shabby, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Certain schools get more coverage on SDN than others, but that doesn't mean that they are a better school.

Western isn't alone, people apply to other schools as 'back-up'. A lot of people use the Caribbean schools as 'back-up', and that doesn't mean that a Caribbean school grad is less of a vet.

Another thing to consider when evaluating why Western isn't 'popular' is that a lot of people are not comfortable with PBL. It isn't for everyone. Some people prefer to be lectured at. No right or wrong here, just what works for the individual. If I had to hazard a guess, the (almost total) PBL format is what scares off a lot of applicants. I don't think 700+ apps is too shabby, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Certain schools get more coverage on SDN than others, but that doesn't mean that they are a better school.

They have a fairly long supplemental and one of the longest pre requisite lists which may cause some applicants to not apply.

Last edited:
The #1 reason people probably don't see western as their first choice is that quarter of a million dollar tuition (before interest). It's a pretty serious consideration.

Did you use a excel sheet and stuff to calculate that? I thought tuition was considerably less. :(

Also, anyone have interview tips for this school? My interview is Tuesday. I just SERIOUSLY blew my shot at my IS school during my interview yesterday. #dontwannatalkaboutit

They have a fairly long supplemental and one of the longest pre requisite lists which may cause some applicants to not apply.

The reason Western's pre-requisitive requirements are so long is because PBL requires a lot of background knowledge and a lot of research skills, more than taking lecture classes does. Same goes with the supplemental, PBL really requires that a school look at an applicant as an individual. Which is also why they do a lot of interviews compared to other vet schools.

Also for interview tips, SDN Interview Feedback is great!

The #1 reason people probably don't see western as their first choice is that quarter of a million dollar tuition (before interest). It's a pretty serious consideration.

You mean quarter of a million total, and not per year right?

You mean quarter of a million total, and not per year right?

Western's tuition for the SVM is 44k per year. Perhaps the poster was calculating all expenses including room, board, books, transportation, etc.

Probably using this thread.

Cost is the reason I would never apply to Western. I love the idea of the PBL curriculum and think I pretty much hit all the pre-requisites, but nuh-uh on $300k COA, please.

Wow. Those spreadsheets are quite depressing.

It blows my mind that there is a $225K disparity between the top and bottom COA. Yikes!! :scared:

hey all,
I need some advice. I'm low on funds so I am trying to couchsurf for my Western interview. My potential host is in Claremont. Is reliable public transportation available from ONT airport to Scripps College area on weeknight evenings? Also, is public transit reliable for a Claremont-to-Western busride the morning of my interview?
thanks in advance for the wisdom!

My number is based on Western's website...

http://www.westernu.edu/financial-budgets-veterinary

The numbers here add up to $278,797. Assuming you could get away with much less for room and board for the first two years (which I dunno, apartments are pricy) then it brings it down to $255,147, which is almost exactly that quarter mil. The reason I'm not willing to subtract any of the COL from the last two years is because of how 'clinical rotations' work - you may be able to live at home some but you generally travel a lot. Which is super cool, but probably pricy.

Even if you were able to cut nearly all of the COL/travel/etc. from the total, you still have $200k... so yeah, close enough.

I can't say I don't understand why you guys are there - I interviewed, so I too gave it much consideration. Just know what you're getting into.

Not trying to be a thread-bummer-outer, just a bit surprised that no one thought tuition would be a big reason why many choose to go elsewhere. Them's the numbers.

hey all,
I need some advice. I'm low on funds so I am trying to couchsurf for my Western interview. My potential host is in Claremont. Is reliable public transportation available from ONT airport to Scripps College area on weeknight evenings? Also, is public transit reliable for a Claremont-to-Western busride the morning of my interview?
thanks in advance for the wisdom!

What day is your interview? Sometimes the bus schedules will be different on weekends. If you are planning on taking the bus I would recommend looking up bus routes and times. Go to the Foothill transit website and check out the trip planner.

http://www.foothilltransit.org/TripPlanner/

Also, anyone have interview tips for this school? My interview is Tuesday. I just SERIOUSLY blew my shot at my IS school during my interview yesterday. #dontwannatalkaboutit

I had my interview on Saturday. Everyone was super nice. Because its behavior based, try looking at the feed back section for ideas on what kinds of questions they're going to ask (theyre all pretty much the same) so that you have a few story ideas when they ask you "tell me about a time..." Breathe and relax, they give you a packet and verbally tell you the plan, it won't be so bad. Good luck!!:luck:

Probably using this thread.

Cost is the reason I would never apply to Western. I love the idea of the PBL curriculum and think I pretty much hit all the pre-requisites, but nuh-uh on $300k COA, please.

My number is based on Western's website...

http://www.westernu.edu/financial-budgets-veterinary

The numbers here add up to $278,797. Assuming you could get away with much less for room and board for the first two years (which I dunno, apartments are pricy) then it brings it down to $255,147, which is almost exactly that quarter mil. The reason I'm not willing to subtract any of the COL from the last two years is because of how 'clinical rotations' work - you may be able to live at home some but you generally travel a lot. Which is super cool, but probably pricy.

Even if you were able to cut nearly all of the COL/travel/etc. from the total, you still have $200k... so yeah, close enough.

I can't say I don't understand why you guys are there - I interviewed, so I too gave it much consideration. Just know what you're getting into.

Not trying to be a thread-bummer-outer, just a bit surprised that no one thought tuition would be a big reason why many choose to go elsewhere. Them's the numbers.

Seeing as I'm waiting to hear back from UPenn, Mich, and Western (already had my interview)... I think I just have to accept I'm going to be in a massive amount of debt :laugh:

But Twelvetigers I completely agree with you, I think it is the cost that deters a lot of students away from Western!

What day is your interview? Sometimes the bus schedules will be different on weekends. If you are planning on taking the bus I would recommend looking up bus routes and times. Go to the Foothill transit website and check out the trip planner.

http://www.foothilltransit.org/TripPlanner/

thanks! my interview is on a tuesday... i don't know which bus ...company (?) i found but it was whatever google maps chose...

i think it was.. a 40 minute bus ride on the 480 or 855 bus lines from scripps to western the morning of.

I believe it is Foothill Transit that covers the area. Good luck on your interview, I have mine tomorrow =)

Has anyone else still not had their application "processed" ? I have received the application complete email, but my status page still states "application materials received" and has not been sent for processing. I thought they were finishing interviews next week? :scared:

Has anyone else still not had their application "processed" ? I have received the application complete email, but my status page still states "application materials received" and has not been sent for processing. I thought they were finishing interviews next week? :scared:

I already interviewed at western last week and my status page still only says "Application Material Received". So I wouldn't worry too much about what it says.

Last edited:
I already interviewed at western last week and my status page still only says "Application Material Received". So I wouldn't worry to much about what it says.

I second this :thumbup:

And for those of you interviewing... just read SDN feedback... they are the same questions as last year, and everyone gets the same questions. Western was my most relaxed interview. They were really awesome, it was like hanging out with two friends somewhere having a normal conversation. Be yourself!

Did you use a excel sheet and stuff to calculate that? I thought tuition was considerably less. :(

Thudercatfish: everyone at the interview was SUPER nice and you get lots of chances to talk with current students who give you great insight into the program. As for interview prep, just like everyone has been saying, all the questions I was asked were on the interview feedback page. So just make sure you've got some good stories in mind, what you learned from them and just relax. You're welcome to PM me if you want any more info, but honestly just practice all the questions already posted and you'll be more than fine. Good luck!!!! :luck::luck:

Thudercatfish: everyone at the interview was SUPER nice and you get lots of chances to talk with current students who give you great insight into the program. As for interview prep, just like everyone has been saying, all the questions I was asked were on the interview feedback page. So just make sure you've got some good stories in mind, what you learned from them and just relax. You're welcome to PM me if you want any more info, but honestly just practice all the questions already posted and you'll be more than fine. Good luck!!!! :luck::luck:

Where can I find the questions for the interview?

Where can I find the questions for the interview?

Under the feedback section of the site. Go to western then click on interview feedback. It should load the questions. Goodluck on your interview!:luck:

You guys were right! They were SUPER nice and SUPER conversational. Everyone said my IS school would be that way---wrong. Western had them beat on everything. The day was a smidge unorganized but I really loved the school and thought everyone there was awesome. They even fed us lunch! Finally, I feel good about a school I visited.

Also, no more subsidized stafford loans as of July 2012. WTF GOVERNMENT!? AHH!

You guys were right! They were SUPER nice and SUPER conversational. Everyone said my IS school would be that way---wrong. Western had them beat on everything. The day was a smidge unorganized but I really loved the school and thought everyone there was awesome. They even fed us lunch! Finally, I feel good about a school I visited.

Also, no more subsidized stafford loans as of July 2012. WTF GOVERNMENT!? AHH!

Did you go today?

Hey ThunderCatFish! I was your tour guide!!! So found out there was someone outside of the Vet Program who tried to make it 2 groups but that was impossible with the number of people we had interviewing but thankfully Jenna fixed it... we really are a student run organization! haha We had a blast showing you all around, hope it was good for you guys too!!!

Just a heads up for those of you still waiting to here back from Western. I got the File Complete Email on January 27th and my interview invite on February 7th. Don't loose hope!!

Hey ThunderCatFish! I was your tour guide!!! So found out there was someone outside of the Vet Program who tried to make it 2 groups but that was impossible with the number of people we had interviewing but thankfully Jenna fixed it... we really are a student run organization! haha We had a blast showing you all around, hope it was good for you guys too!!!

Hey girl! Psh, a tad of disorganization and a school community that loves their program and students is better than a tight run mega-university that doesnt care who you are anyyyy day! Thank you so much for showing us around, you guys were amazing. LOVE Western!:love: And yes, I was there Tuesday! PM me and we can all by Western FB friends.

Just a heads up for those of you still waiting to here back from Western. I got the File Complete Email on January 27th and my interview invite on February 7th. Don't loose hope!!
*sigh* I got my app complete e-mail on 1/19 and still no news here. Really starting to feel like it's over already.

Jan 25th. No reply.

Maybe alphabetically? Maybe they have monkeys running around and picking up random apps for the Adcom to look at. I'm goin with that theory