WesternU C/O 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
August West: I am not sure who you spoke with here as I and one other staff member are answering the phone today and neither of us have informed a caller that a particular individual has not yet been invited for interview. We do have files still out for review and hope to have them back by the end of the day. We encourage anyone wanting to know the status of their application prior to interviewing to contact our office directly. We do NOT disclose any information about candidates to anyone other than the candidate him/herself. Tiger Willow please contact our office directly and we will gladly let you know where in the process your application is.

I'm sorry for any confusion. Tiger Willow and I have been joking around with one another throughout the stressful admissions process. My comment was taken completely in jest by everyone here. See you next week. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry for any confusion. Tiger Willow and I have been joking around with one another throughout the stressful admissions process. My comment was taken completely in jest by everyone here. See you next week. :)

By me included. August and I have a special bond.

I will for sure call by next week! It's just been a stressful process for everyone involved!

Members don't see this ad :)
August West: I am not sure who you spoke with here as I and one other staff member are answering the phone today and neither of us have informed a caller that a particular individual has not yet been invited for interview. We do have files still out for review and hope to have them back by the end of the day. We encourage anyone wanting to know the status of their application prior to interviewing to contact our office directly. We do NOT disclose any information about candidates to anyone other than the candidate him/herself. Tiger Willow please contact our office directly and we will gladly let you know where in the process your application is.

He was just being facetious, I think. :)

Glad I called!!!! I have an interview yay! such short notice... but at least I have a suit and workable car

Congrats Tiger! :) It's about darn time they told you something.

Don't forget, I've got some tricks in the box over here... :laugh:

..and August, at least you'll be easy to spot.:D

You'll be part of the show, too? This should be good.

And don't get all weird and act like you don't know me!

FTB I don't think you will!! Don't be stressed (hopefully I'll take my own advice!)

Obviously there is no right or wrong answer. They just want to know if we can work together in a group! (obviously we can, even perhaps August/Britney). I'm definitely a little nervous but at least I'm coming up with behavioral situations. Just know your life!

But ahhhh so excited! How far do you have to drive?

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on pointing and laughing :smuggrin:

OMG is it Saturday yet? But also OMG all my eggs are in this one basket. :scared:

I hope I don't mess it up!!

You won't mess anything up. Besides, I will sit next to you the entire time and act like a buffoon. You will look polished, professional and mature relative to me. We can even do a good cop/bad cop thing if you like. I will loudly pronounce some obnoxious PETA animal rights-oriented statement – maybe something like "this school better not teach with live animals. It's slavery, man!!"... then you will calmly respond by discussing Western's 'reverence for life' philosophy and how all research protocols in which animals are used at Western University must go through a thoughtful and meticulous review by their IACUC. I will stroke my beard and pull nervously on my skirt, nodding along to the wisdom you are dispensing. In other words, my friend, you got this. Me, on the other hand... well, at least there's still got Oregon St. :)

FTB I don't think you will!! Don't be stressed (hopefully I'll take my own advice!)

Obviously there is no right or wrong answer. They just want to know if we can work together in a group! (obviously we can, even perhaps August/Britney). I'm definitely a little nervous but at least I'm coming up with behavioral situations. Just know your life!

About 125 miles/2 hours or so on a good day. I'm having trouble with my answers sounding lame. I feel like using social networks to help locate people isn't an innovation to most people. I'm afraid they'll laugh at me and say my generation uses Facebook 10 times a day, why is it special?

Last edited:
You won't mess anything up. Besides, I will sit next to you the entire time and act like a buffoon. You will look polished, professional and mature relative to me. We can even do a good cop/bad cop thing if you like. I will loudly pronounce some obnoxious PETA animal rights-oriented statement – maybe something like "this school better not teach with live animals. It's slavery, man!!"... then you will calmly respond by discussing Western's 'reverence for life' philosophy and how all research protocols in which animals are used at Western University must go through a thoughtful and meticulous review by their IACUC. I will stroke my beard and pull nervously on my skirt, nodding along to the wisdom you are dispensing. In other words, my friend, you got this. Me, on the other hand... well, at least there's still got Oregon St. :)

I now really want us all to get in because you guys sound like the most epic classmates ever. :love:

Make sure you look through the interview feedback section on SDN. I will also look through my supplemental app essays for behavioral examples. And it can't hurt to read up a bit on the program itself (PBL, reverence for life, etc.)

Make sure you look through the interview feedback section on SDN. I will also look through my supplemental app essays for behavioral examples. And it can't hurt to read up a bit on the program itself (PBL, reverence for life, etc.)

As someone who has already interviewed, I cannot stress the SDN feedback enough. They straight up told me they have to ask the same 4 questions to everyone (and they are all on the feedback). So study up, have SPECIFIC examples for each question (I can't tell you how many times they said "Be more specific") and seriously, out of my 4 interviews so far, they were by far the nicest, calmest, and easiest! I know it's easier said then done, but just enjoy it and have fun.

I found out the day before my FL interview that I was denied by Kansas State and I put SO much pressure on myself that I sounded like a babbling idiot in my FL interview. So FTB, DON'T do that to yourself, it will only make you more stressed. Western was awesome, so were the people, and you will all do AMAZING!! This should be the easiest interview for anyone because the questions are literally on SDN for you to prepare ahead of time. GO ROCK IT!!!!!!!
:luck::xf::xf::xf::luck::xf::xf::xf::luck:

Edit: And have questions for them at the end... my interviewers loved just sitting and chatting, and it was VERY casual! If all else fails, ask them about themselves... people love to talk about themselves ;)

As someone who has already interviewed, I cannot stress the SDN feedback enough. They straight up told me they have to ask the same 4 questions to everyone (and they are all on the feedback). So study up, have SPECIFIC examples for each question (I can't tell you how many times they said "Be more specific") and seriously, out of my 4 interviews so far, they were by far the nicest, calmest, and easiest! I know it's easier said then done, but just enjoy it and have fun.

I found out the day before my FL interview that I was denied by Kansas State and I put SO much pressure on myself that I sounded like a babbling idiot in my FL interview. So FTB, DON'T do that to yourself, it will only make you more stressed. Western was awesome, so were the people, and you will all do AMAZING!! This should be the easiest interview for anyone because the questions are literally on SDN for you to prepare ahead of time. GO ROCK IT!!!!!!!
:luck::xf::xf::xf::luck:

Edit: And have questions for them at the end... my interviewers loved just sitting and chatting, and it was VERY casual! If all else fails, ask them about themselves... people love to talk about themselves ;)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is why I put up with the weirdos and creeps on SDN. :D

Good luck to everyone who have interviews this weekend!!!:luck:
Don't worry, its not that bad!:)

Hey folks, just wanted to take a minute away from prepping for midterms to wish you all good luck. It really is an incredibly laid back interview. Just relax, the only thing you have to worry about is your entire future. Kidding, obviously.

If anyone feels like chatting afterwards, I'll be around all day and could probably use a study break at some point. Plus, I'm a sucker for anyone with a beard in a skirt. I'll be in the PBL room with the talking horse skeleton. Send me a message if you'd like.

HAVE FUN!!!

Best of luck to all of you with interviews today! I'll be sending good vibes from the opposite coast your way. Knock 'em dead with your awesomeness!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Well that's a wrap for all western interviews!!!!

FTB- it was really nice meeting you! You are ridiculously funny- I'm sure you wowed those interviewers! You sure did with my mom.

August- you feel better! And you BETTER say hi to me in person next time!

FTB- it was really nice meeting you! You are ridiculously funny- I'm sure you wowed those interviewers! You sure did with my mom.

Thanks. You guys just got lucky and wound up together. If you had been part of my group, you would say I was the ridiculously funny one. Had my group in tears the whole time!!! So there... :soexcited:

Thanks! It was awesome to have you in my group :D Your mom totally got the best story- too bad I couldn't find a way to make the catfish story work for interviews. It's hard to go wrong with such material.

August- dammit I didn't see any transvestites in skirt/beard glory, which group were you in? If you didn't figure out which one I was then I wasn't trying hard enough. Feel better!

Thanks! It was awesome to have you in my group :D Your mom totally got the best story- too bad I couldn't find a way to make the catfish story work for interviews. It's hard to go wrong with such material.

August- dammit I didn't see any transvestites in skirt/beard glory, which group were you in? If you didn't figure out which one I was then I wasn't trying hard enough. Feel better!

There were three guys in front of you in the classroom. One had blonde hair, one had brown hair and the other had no hair. I was the one with brown hair. I shaved the beard and decreased my hormone regiment to ward off stalkers. I'd like to think I would have been more affable had the remnants of my flu not left me feeling like a tranny in a cave. I had a good time, though. So close to finishing this process now... :claps:

So everyone who interviewed so far, what do y'all think about the PBL?

I think it would fit really well with my learning style. I am not so much a fan of being blathered at in lectures.:thumbup:

I think that all though it's definitely more difficult than a traditional curriculum, it teaches you a lot.

But vet school is already difficult!!

I think all schools should incorporate some incarnation of PBL-style group learning, if they do not already.

I really liked it in one sense, especially when we did the demo, I found myself fairly engaged, eventhough I didnt know what an Okappi was (did everyone get that example???), but I sorta felt apprehensive about the no set book lists, etc. I doubt its like that, but, I couldn't help feeling liked I'd be out blowin' in the wind by myself. (note: to the western admissions committee, this does not mean I wouldn't be thrilled at an acceptance letter, and shouldn't have any bearing on your decision:love:)

haha i kept giggling because the okapi had the same name as my brother :laugh:

Idk if I'd answer that question. Since the forum is definitely monitored by the Adcom, and I'd be ecstatic just to get into a vet school, I personally wouldn't list anything in any forum about my preferences.

I am with you tiger, I know I'd get a good education at western, it may just take a bit of adjusting. So go ahead and accept me western!!! :-D

I really liked it in one sense, especially when we did the demo, I found myself fairly engaged, eventhough I didnt know what an Okappi was (did everyone get that example???), but I sorta felt apprehensive about the no set book lists, etc. I doubt its like that, but, I couldn't help feeling liked I'd be out blowin' in the wind by myself. (note: to the western admissions committee, this does not mean I wouldn't be thrilled at an acceptance letter, and shouldn't have any bearing on your decision:love:)

dont worry about not having a book list, if you end up attending Western, you will have a big sib and they will usually make a book list for you, a list at least they have found helpful. My big sib gave me a list she really liked including ones shes purchased, wants to purchase, and wish she only borrowed from the library. Also she sent me a more comprehensive book list of what most of the class likes.

I personally only bought 5 books, and may want one or two more next year. Other then that I use a lot of primary lit.

When I went to the Vet School info session they had a "breakout session" and they used the the okapi case. When I went for my interview they did the same exact okapi example. I really like Western's sessions and found it remarkable that even though I knew what the outcome was the student imput was different in each session. They both felt completely different, just the same case. I hope that makes sense...

School wise, it looks cool except for the low research value which is one of my interests (path nerd here) I would definitely go if accepted, but it isn't my #1

I never actually read the first couple of pages of this thread, I am a student assistant at the CAHFS lab in San Bernardino. I have heard rumors that Western is trying to work with CAHFS to do a rotation there. CAHFS is a great place to get alot of experience with numerous different species, I really hope it goes through!:xf: Can't wait to hear back from Western either, the next two weeks are going to be torture.

I knew what an okapi was! Hahaha :) I felt so pretentious.

I was like, for srs guys... did none of you watch Nature growing up? C'mon!

Well, now you know. :)

brnxz_343.jpg

Oh my gosh okapis!! (I had a slight obsession with them in elementary school. Not sure why besides they look like the ultimate committee animal? And they can touch their tongue to their eye? And this post is just an excuse for more okapi pictures and is otherwise completely pointless?)

2w3yujt.jpg

Wait what's happening with the okapis? Does western ask situational questions during interviews?

Wait what's happening with the okapis? Does western ask situational questions during interviews?

No. Western uses an Okapi in their example to show you how they would do a PBL session. Interviews are only behavioral. Usually all of the students will participate in a mock PBL session.

Last edited:
I knew what an okapi was because it's the only other animal related to the giraffe! And I did a term paper on giraffes and the plants they eat for botany class, haha.

Yes, you have to know the breeding cycles of an okapi, and what okapi babies are called.

:laugh:

If anyone knows the latter, I'm curious now that I came up with it. Calf? Meh?

Haha nice one...I'm going to guess okapiglets!

From what I found, it was a calf.

In other news, is anyone else counting the days until the 15th? Or am I the only one obsessing?

March is such a crazy busy month for admissions! I can't wait for this to be over!