WesternU MSMS Fall 2012/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else having major issues with prereqs? They don't seem to accept any of the courses that I took so I'm deficient in like 3 different categories according to them even though I have double the amount of credit hours per category. UGH. I think I'm gonna withdraw my app from here.

yes they did not accept 2 of my classes for prereqs which is weird because other schools were fine with it.

Members don't see this ad.

What courses did you take that are not being accepted? I took basic biology, molecular, genetics, anatomy, physiology, developmental biology.

I also had problems with prereqs at first. I called and talked to them and then had to send proof/descriptions of the classes to show that they would cover the prereqs. Did they tell you why the classes didn't fulfill the requirements? If they did then you can try sending in the descriptions of the classes

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had problems with prereqs at first. I called and talked to them and then had to send proof/descriptions of the classes to show that they would cover the prereqs. Did they tell you why the classes didn't fulfill the requirements? If they did then you can try sending in the descriptions of the classes

I did and the way they responded was basically "just because your school accepts it doesn't mean it's okay with us". My biggest issue is that I've tried calling/emailing and no one seems to feel the need to respond back. I'm getting pretty irritated tbh.

I'm deficient in Chem (all other schools accepted my chem sequence AND to cover my butt I'm enrolled in another chem class atm), English (they state that the eng comp classes I took in college don't count for them...looking at my transcript I have more than double the units they require in this category) and behavioral science class (I took a bunch of anthro /soc classes and none of them seem to count either).

I did and the way they responded was basically "just because your school accepts it doesn't mean it's okay with us". My biggest issue is that I've tried calling/emailing and no one seems to feel the need to respond back. I'm getting pretty irritated tbh.

I'm deficient in Chem (all other schools accepted my chem sequence AND to cover my butt I'm enrolled in another chem class atm), English (they state that the eng comp classes I took in college don't count for them...looking at my transcript I have more than double the units they require in this category) and behavioral science class (I took a bunch of anthro /soc classes and none of them seem to count either).

ugh! sorry...that's no fun. i hope you get it worked out or that there are other programs that accept them

Is the worksheet available on the site or do we create a document listing the courses we took that correspond to the requirements?
You have to download it from the website. I believe it's on the page where it has the applicant checklist. It should be in a PDF format where you can type your courses in the required fields.

Seriously? Did they tell you this after you submitted your application or did you ask them beforehand? I already submitted mine and didn't care to double check the prerequisites because they worked for me at other schools..

For the behavioral section I took all psychology classes.

Seriously? Did they tell you this after you submitted your application or did you ask them beforehand? I already submitted mine and didn't care to double check the prerequisites because they worked for me at other schools..

For the behavioral section I took all psychology classes.

they told after. I've had my stuff submitted for quite some time.

Add me to the list. Just found out I am short two credits in English!

I received an e-mail this afternoon.

Add me to the list. Just found out I am short two credits in English!

yeah a few people I know have had a problem with their eng requirement. Hope you can get it sorted out :/

its also better to have already taken the MCAT because you are eligible for linkage. they linked 17 kids this year to the DO program, none for five dental students. my advice dont take it unless you have prepared for it and are ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my application earlier this week. Now I am worried about my prerequisites.

Hi guys,

I completed my applicaation for the WesternU MSMS program in December and am currently waiting to hear back from them. I did apply to a number of other schools for both regular masters and one year masters programs. I got into Touro University NV and have an interview with Loma Linda U on Wednesday. WesternU was and still is my number 1 choice, though. I heard from a DO I shadowed who went to WesternU that if one does really well in the MSMS program, one was guaranteed a spot in their DO program (though its all hush hush!) Anyway, I hope things progress quicker and best of luck to you all!!!

Is anyone else having major issues with prereqs? They don't seem to accept any of the courses that I took so I'm deficient in like 3 different categories according to them even though I have double the amount of credit hours per category. UGH. I think I'm gonna withdraw my app from here.

What english/chem classes had you taken. If your english wasn't composition that is probably why they didn't accept it b/c I'm pretty sure it stated comp/writing.

Where did you take those classes at? I had zero problem with any of my prereqs:

Ochem and Gen chem I/II w/ labs
Physics I/II w/labs
Intoductory Sociology/Psych
Composition/Technical Communication
and whatever they wanted for Bio (I was a Physiology major so I didn't worry about that one)

I just received an interview invite for March 1st! It was via e-mail...

same here!! I received an invite for interview on March 1st. Does anyone have any idea how the interview is conducted? they said I should expect to be there pretty much all day....

Yeah, I just got an invite email earlier today as well. March 1st seems like the first batch. I wonder how many got sent out?

i also received a invitation for an interview.

For all the people who got interview invites, what does your application status say?

Mine hasn't changed, still says "application materials received"

Hi guys. I was just wondering a few things about westernu msms..
1. what are ya'lls stats? i have volunteering and research, mcat 24P, gpa nonsci 3.55 sci 3.28. Is that too low (cause I'm outta state...tx)
2. noticed some of ya'll submitted your apps back in november and december and they've already started notifying for interviews...I just submitted yesterday and I don't think my recommendations and transcript won't arrive til monday. So my question is, am I too late or early? lol I'm not sure!

Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know when they will notify applicants for the other interview dates? And when do they BEGIN sending rejections?

1. what are ya'lls stats? i have volunteering and research, mcat 24P, gpa nonsci 3.55 sci 3.28. Is that too low (cause I'm outta state...tx)
2. noticed some of ya'll submitted your apps back in november and december and they've already started notifying for interviews...I just submitted yesterday and I don't think my recommendations and transcript won't arrive til monday. So my question is, am I too late or early? lol I'm not sure!

Good luck to everyone!
I know the last year's stats were pretty low. I think the website said 2.9 science and like 3.0 overall (or something close to those). I have a 3.25 sci and 3.42 overall with a 21AA/22TS on the DAT and I applied early December and my application got processed in early January. You should be in a good position based on your stats. I don't think there's a preference for resident or out of state applications. In regards to being early or late I have no idea sorry. Hope that helped.

I also received an interview invite. Did they send you guys any more information after you confirmed that you can go that day?

I asked and they said they would send more info sometime this week

i emailed back and said i can make it on the first, and i did not receive a confirmation.

Good luck to everyone!

I don't think they give preference to in state. Your stats are higher than average for sure so I wouldn't worry, unless you have a score that is below a 7. Even then, I think you could even retake the MCAT and apply straight to DO.

How long after everything was received did you guys get the email saying your application was sent for review?

How long after everything was received did you guys get the email saying your application was sent for review?
It took around 2 weeks for me but it was also right between Christmas and New Years so that's probably why it took so long.

For those of you that got interviews, did any of you receive more information yet?

Has anyone else tried e-mailing them about the interview info we're supposed to receive? She said she was going to send it last week but I haven't seen anthing yet

Has anyone else tried e-mailing them about the interview info we're supposed to receive? She said she was going to send it last week but I haven't seen anthing yet

no i have not gotten anything. i have tried calling her but no answer either.

Question for people who got interviews, how long after getting the notification that your apps were ready for review did you have to wait til you got a call for an interview?

I received an invite about 3 weeks after my app was up for review

same here, i got the confirmation with instructions today.

Anyone know what the linkage is like for this program? What percentage of the graduates go to Western's DO program? Also, any percentages on total matriculation to any DO program after the MSMS?
pretty high. inaugural class pretty much all got in if they applied, same with the dental kids.

For those who interviewed, were you told when the next interviews are scheduled for? Thanks,

They told us they were going to interview in March, April, and possibly in May as well if needed. Didn't give a specific date though.

How did the interviews go, is the school a nice environment? Did they say anything more about their curriculum?

I submitted 2/29 and that is the final day before the deadline, my application status
is "Incomplete".

How did the interviews go, is the school a nice environment? Did they say anything more about their curriculum?

I submitted 2/29 and that is the final day before the deadline, my application status
is "Incomplete".

The interviews went well. The school is really nice and all of the current students seem to really like the program. The faculty is great as well...very helpful. They gave us an overview of the curriculum which is also up on the website. It will be a tough year, but definitely worth it. This is my top choice so hopefully it works out.

The interviews went well. The school is really nice and all of the current students seem to really like the program. The faculty is great as well...very helpful. They gave us an overview of the curriculum which is also up on the website. It will be a tough year, but definitely worth it. This is my top choice so hopefully it works out.

Are you going DO? That brach of medicine is interesting to me...if you are choosing DO, what is your reason?