WesternU Pomona vs RowanSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.jamzzz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been searching the SDN forums to see if any threads comparing WesternU Pomona and RowanSOM were previously discussed. Closest thread I read was in the Pre-Dental forums titled "WesternU vs UMDNJ." Curious to know if any SDN'ers were accepted to both D.O programs at WesternU and Rowan and their thought process in finalizing which school to attend?

Members don't see this ad.

This is tough. Most of the SoCalers will say WesternU and most of the East coasters will say Rowan. There isn't much to compare, but where would you like to get more connections, on the east or west coast for residency?

Reactions: 1 user
What things are important to you? Does cost matter and differ? Give us something to work with. Both institutions will get you to become a great physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also isn't the east coast more DO friendly than CA? I can't comment on Western, but when I interviewed at Rowan I felt it to be a good school
With a good curriculum.
Also, most students go to AC or Philly during breaks. ...NYC is about 2 hours + away (depending on traffic)

As of now, tuition is not a large factor in choosing each school. I have saved up to pay for the first year of medical school and will proceed to apply for the 3 year AF HPSP this June. I would love to practice in California as a fully licensed physician and know that WesternU is the way to go if I wanted to secure a civilian C.A IM residency. However, with HPSP, I hope to match into a military IM residency where I have less control of my geographic location. The only military IM residency I know of in C.A is Travis AFB in Norcal. Both schools seem to have similar pre-clinical curriculum, I'm curious to know how can one gauge which school has the stronger clinical years (3rd and 4th year)?

Still western can help by alumni if your goal is practicing here.