what after graduate from dental school ?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csudental

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i'm actually a pre dental student i haven't apply or attend a dental school yet
i have a question about how dental school works and what after graduate from dental school

i thought after finishing my four years at dental school i would choose any of the 50 states to get the residency test and make a test and then start being working as a dentist at this state, is that true or my grades in the dental school play a role in the game

Also does the dental school affect which state i want to live and work for example if i graduate from University of Pennsylvania dental school can i return again to CA and start working as a dentist or it will be difficult and better to attend a dental school in CA ?

Members don't see this ad.

so each state have her own test ?
and does my grades in dental school will affect the residency test as if i got straight C's in my dental school, it will be hard to pass the national Board test ?

You're talking about separate tests, the NBDE Part 1/2 is different from the WREB/NERB.

NBDE Part 1 and Part 2 are the national board exams that you take during and at the end of dental school. These exams are pass/fail, multiple choice and taken on the computer at a Prometric Center.

Grades don't matter, how much you study (NBDE) and clinical skills (WREB) matter.

To practice in a state, you must also fulfill state requirements. To practice in California for example, you must currently pass the WREB. This exam consists of
Operative – two different restorative procedures. You will choose two procedures from the
following four options: Direct Posterior Class II Amalgam Restoration, Direct Posterior Class II
Composite Restoration, Direct Anterior Class III Composite Restoration and Indirect Posterior
Class II Cast Gold Restoration. You provide your own Patients. Patients are submitted for
approval, a preparation grade and a finish grade.
Endodontics – endodontic treatment on two extracted teeth; one anterior tooth and one
canal on a posterior multi-canal tooth. Access and condensation are graded. 3
Periodontal Treatment – a Patient is submitted for approval, then root planing and scaling
are completed and the Patient is submitted for grading.
Periodontal Assessment/Diagnosis – a two-dimensional computer simulation exam.
The exam is administered through Pearson VUE Testing Centers.
Prosthodontics – a three-dimensional computer simulation exam. The exam is administered
through Pearson VUE Testing Centers.
Patient Assessment and Treatment Planning (PATP) – a two-dimensional computer
simulation exam using case materials provided by WREB. You prepare a treatment plan for
the assigned Patient case. The exam is administered through Pearson VUE Testing Centers.

However, these requirements may change in the next few years.