What airline credit card to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tippyboat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For interview purposes....what is the best airline credit card?

First of all, is it even a good idea to get an airline credit card? I don't like having too many cards, but I feel like doing this much flying for interviews this year means I should get something out of it.

I've spent all morning looking at different cards. Probably not a good idea to get one just for one airline right? Because interviews are all over the country and we need to be able to compare schedules/seats. I heard Southwest's program is good, but it has pretty limited airports. It doesn't even fly into Chicago O'hare!

So what have you guys found to be good airline credit cards/programs for interviews? Let's try to make an official comparison list (the ones they have on credit card sites can be so misleading/incomplete)!

Members don't see this ad.

If you must get a credit card for traveling get Delta. They are in almost every city.

Honestly I don't think y ou should get the credit card unless you have a job. Just so you keep up with the payments.

For interview purposes....what is the best airline credit card?

First of all, is it even a good idea to get an airline credit card? I don't like having too many cards, but I feel like doing this much flying for interviews this year means I should get something out of it.

I've spent all morning looking at different cards. Probably not a good idea to get one just for one airline right? Because interviews are all over the country and we need to be able to compare schedules/seats. I heard Southwest's program is good, but it has pretty limited airports. It doesn't even fly into Chicago O'hare!

So what have you guys found to be good airline credit cards/programs for interviews? Let's try to make an official comparison list (the ones they have on credit card sites can be so misleading/incomplete)!

That's the whole point. While thousands of people are sleeping at O'Hare, you wait a little bit to get de-iced at Midway and then you're out, on a full sized plane, to wherever you need to go.

I got the Southwest card because I live on the East coast now but am a west coast native and SW flies out of the 2 main airports I've been using. Used the card for all of my living expenses (except rent) and paid the balance in full every month. There is a $60 yearly fee. You get 1 credit for every $1,200 spent (I think) and one credit for each one way flight. You need 16 for an award, and I think they give you 8 when you get the card. Because my flights have all been cross country and often during peak travel season, each "award" flight from SW saved ~$600. My wife and I probably earned 5 or so round trip tickets. Can't beat SW service as well, consistently given high marks for customer satisfaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the whole point. While thousands of people are sleeping at O'Hare, you wait a little bit to get de-iced at Midway and then you're out, on a full sized plane, to wherever you need to go.

I got the Southwest card because I live on the East coast now but am a west coast native and SW flies out of the 2 main airports I've been using. Used the card for all of my living expenses (except rent) and paid the balance in full every month. There is a $60 yearly fee. You get 1 credit for every $1,200 spent (I think) and one credit for each one way flight. You need 16 for an award, and I think they give you 8 when you get the card. Because my flights have all been cross country and often during peak travel season, each "award" flight from SW saved ~$600. My wife and I probably earned 5 or so round trip tickets. Can't beat SW service as well, consistently given high marks for customer satisfaction.

$40/year if you have student credit like me.

I swiped the card once and got a free airline ticket--just be sure you sign up for the right deal. Haven't used it since, and will be canceling it once the 11th month hits so I don't get charged for another year.

Southwest rocks. The only "bad" part about them is that flying cross country often means stopovers more often than on other airlines (however, many of these don't require you to change planes), but you do get more space, two free checked bags and service with a smile.

It's a shame that some of their cross-country flights cost so much more than other airlines sometimes, do I don't go with them for that.

I have a chase united mileage credit card. I use it for everything -- only because I don't have a job currently and my parents pay it off every month (and my dad would rather me collect united mileage than use my debit card).
My card has no yearly fees... so that's nice. Just a monthy minimum payment.

I either fly United or Southwest. You can't go wrong with Southwest! Also -- if you want to catch a connecting flight in O'Hare and it's somehow cheaper to fly Southwest to/out of Chicago... you can always take the El train. (Might be an hour+ ride though... but worth it if you can save $50+ dollars).

Edit: For Southwest, I have signed up online for My Rapid Rewards. Doesn't cost anything to join and you get a free flight after 16 paid flights (though I am positive that it use to be after 10 or so a few years back :( )

Southwest for sure. Just being able to cancel and reschedule flights without a $250 fee is so amazing compared to everyone else. It's totally free to change your flight at the last second, or even cancel it. You just get SW credit back.

Edit: For Southwest, I have signed up online for My Rapid Rewards. Doesn't cost anything to join and you get a free flight after 16 paid flights (though I am positive that it use to be after 10 or so a few years back :( )

Also used to be double credit for college students. 4 round trips = 1 free round trip ticket. :cry:

I agree with the above that Southwest has the best card rewards. HOWEVER, Southwest has very limited routes. I travel a ton for work, and Southwest just doesn't make it to most of the places I fly.

I think United OR Delta is the way to go personally. Not as great with the rewards, but they both fly everywhere.

Where do you live? If you are pretty close to an airport that is a hub for a major airline, stick with them.

Consider getting a card from the airline you fly most/have the most miles on already.

Also, if possible, you should try to consolodate all of your interview flying on one airline. You can hit elite status for as few as 25K miles (somtimes less if they offer a double elite miles promotion).

On a side note, cosider where you are flying, too. Southwest's reward program is great if you take a bunch of short hops. However, if you find yourself taking a bunch of long flights, United/American/Delta/Continental would be the way to go.

I either fly United or Southwest. You can't go wrong with Southwest! Also -- if you want to catch a connecting flight in O'Hare and it's somehow cheaper to fly Southwest to/out of Chicago... you can always take the El train. (Might be an hour+ ride though... but worth it if you can save $50+ dollars).

I can't see it being worth it to go through that headache for a $50 savings...

I'd stay far, far away from American. I used to be a loyal American customer once upon a time, but every single thing about American is terrible. I'm currently American GOLD (still fly them from SFO-MIA since it's the only DIRECT flight) and have a ton of miles but every time I want to use them it's a black out date. I also never get upgraded regardless of segement since there are so many business travelers that choose American. On a side-note, American FIRST class is great.

The nice thing about United/ US Airways and Continental is that they are all Star Alliance members. You can get your miles from one of these airline credited to the other (just make sure to let the airline know in advance that this is what you like since you can't do it retroactively). I'm currently PREMIER EXECUTIVE on United. I get upgraded quite often though rarely on a popular segement (SFO-ORD for example). United FIRST though is nowhere near as nice as American FIRST. You can also use earned miles without as much problem as American.

I fly a ton (100,000+ miles per year DOMESTICALLY). I really do think a Star Alliance member is the way to go. HOWEVER, the rewards aren't great compared to Southwest and their annual fee is more expensive. They do travel pretty much everywhere though. And if you ever see a 6'0 ft, mid-20s guy with black hair on United First, say hi :).

Edit: I also recently applied for the United JP Chase card (annual fee waived for first year back), but have yet to hear back about my approval. This is probably the best United card ($95 yearly fee, but good benefits if you buy a lot of United tickets).

On a side note, cosider where you are flying, too. Southwest's reward program is great if you take a bunch of short hops. However, if you find yourself taking a bunch of long flights, United/American/Delta/Continental would be the way to go.

Last edited:
I'd almost say don't bother, and just cherrypick with kayak.com or something. I'm a southwest man myself, but now, with the other airlines starting to compete, I often find that southwest is not the cheapest. I just booked two interview trips and one was 260 before fees on delta, and 320 at southwest, and the other was 320 total on united and 340 on southwest, though with the timing, I couldn't do southwest.

I do think they have the best airlines card as you basically get 1/9th off every trip, (8 trips and you get a free one?).

Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note (not to high-jack this thread), does anyone have any really good experiences with rewards or good programs with credit cards in general. I want to establish credit before taking out loans. Thanks

I'd stay far, far away from American. I used to be a loyal American customer once upon a time, but every single thing about American is terrible. I'm currently American GOLD (still fly them from SFO-MIA since it's the only DIRECT flight) and have a ton of miles but every time I want to use them it's a black out date. I also never get upgraded regardless of segement since there are so many business travelers that choose American. On a side-note, American FIRST class is great.

The nice thing about United/ US Airways and Continental is that they are all Star Alliance members. You can get your miles from one of these airline credited to the other (just make sure to let the airline know in advance that this is what you like since you can't do it retroactively). I'm currently PREMIER EXECUTIVE on United. I get upgraded quite often though rarely on a popular segement (SFO-ORD for example). United FIRST though is nowhere near as nice as American FIRST. You can also use earned miles without as much problem as American.

I fly a ton (100,000+ miles per year DOMESTICALLY). I really do think a Star Alliance member is the way to go. HOWEVER, the rewards aren't great compared to Southwest and their annual fee is more expensive. They do travel pretty much everywhere though. And if you ever see a 6'0 ft, mid-20s guy with black hair on United First, say hi :).

Edit: I also recently applied for the United JP Chase card (annual fee waived for first year back), but have yet to hear back about my approval. This is probably the best United card ($95 yearly fee, but good benefits if you buy a lot of United tickets).

Ah nice to see another "up in the air" person on SDN..

UA/Star Alliance is I think the way to go (I personally loged about 300K on United alone last year. All domestic. All painfully). They have, on average, the most award availability. Sometimes you have to call, though. However, if you ask the ticket agent nicely, they can usually put something together for you. The upgrades for elites are nice and usually clear for me early (even on the popular routes).

Delta has the worst reward redemption. Other than that, they are ok for upgrades. And if you get the Delta Amex Card, your bag fees are waved.

Like I said earlier, Southwest is better for short hops. They have a great product for that. However, I wouldn't use them to cross the country (for example: you have to fly LAX-IAD. It would take 8 round trips to get one free ticket. It would take 5 times on UA for a free trip. Likely though, if you were flying this much, you could get status pretty quickly, and that number would fall.

Seriously, try to stick to one airline. Once you hit status, you get free bags, priority security, free upgrades, priority baggage. It makes air travel a lot better.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I'm glad to see I'm not the only insane person flying a lot as a pre-med.

I have to say, I'm mildly jealous about the upgrades on popular routes (clearly you are 1K). My brother is Global Services and he always gets bumped to. I only get bumped on less popular segments.

I agree that sticking to one alliance is the way to go. Star Alliance gives you the most choices.

The upgrades for elites are nice and usually clear for me early (even on the popular routes).

Seriously, try to stick to one airline. Once you hit status, you get free bags, priority security, free upgrades, priority baggage. It makes air travel a lot better.

I'd get the schwab card that gives you 2% cash back on everything. For the same amount of use you'll get cash that amounts to more than your average plane ticket

I have a chase united mileage credit card. I use it for everything -- only because I don't have a job currently and my parents pay it off every month (and my dad would rather me collect united mileage than use my debit card).
My card has no yearly fees... so that's nice. Just a monthy minimum payment.

How did u get a united mileage card without paying the yearly fee. I thought the first year was free and then 60 bucks every year after?

To the OP, i would go with united, b/c u want to get a card that has tons of partners (accrue more miles). With southwest or jet blue u HAVE to fly using them. Not a fan of that. United Mileage has about 16+ partners....

I recently signed up for United Plus...so I have a question for those who are already partners....

Do you earn miles/are they updated in your account AFTER flying? or AFTER making a reservation.

I'm a newbie to the airline mileage on credit cards thing...Thanks!

I recently signed up for United Plus...so I have a question for those who are already partners....

Do you earn miles/are they updated in your account AFTER flying? or AFTER making a reservation.

I'm a newbie to the airline mileage on credit cards thing...Thanks!

You get flight miles after you take the flight. Other miles (credit card, hotels) are credited intermitantly. When you redeem miles for an award, they are deducted at the time of purchse.

How did u get a united mileage card without paying the yearly fee. I thought the first year was free and then 60 bucks every year after?

To the OP, i would go with united, b/c u want to get a card that has tons of partners (accrue more miles). With southwest or jet blue u HAVE to fly using them. Not a fan of that. United Mileage has about 16+ partners....

Which is true. However, United is guilty of blocking some of its partner's flights, which can make redemption difficult.

There is (or was) a no annual fee student MP card. Not sure if it is still around...

I'd just get something like a student discover. Good all around card.

You can get 0.0% APR for the 1st 9 months on purchases and balance transfer (transfer any balance you have racked up on your other card from secondaries). Charge your airfare without worrying about being able to pay it all off in the next month.

1% cashback on any purchase. 5% on quailifying purchases (these change monthly, I think)

Avoid the higher interest rates / annual fees that airline credit cards have. Just not worth it for the hassle of trying to figure out the details of getting the most rewards for your flights & how to use them.

To save money on the flights, book through sites like cheapoair.com Also, try looking at last-minute specials on airline website

You get flight miles after you take the flight. Other miles (credit card, hotels) are credited intermitantly. When you redeem miles for an award, they are deducted at the time of purchse.

Thanks..i was worried "why aren't my flight mile showing up? I booked the flight gosh darn it!" Guess I have to wait....what a weird concept! (kidding)! I'm just a noob haha.

I signed up for a card years ago that gives me points for free stuff, including quite simply a credit in my account. IE: if I spend so much money, I literally get $50 back. Seems like a reasonable thing to do, there are no fees, no min. balances on anything and I can choose any airline I want to and just take the monetary discount when it comes. Works for me :thumbup:
And if I start booking some flights on there, the more money I get back.

Obviously it depends on where you are from, but since I don't see that anyone has really mentioned Delta too much and I have one, here are the details. If you get the Delta Skymiles American Express Gold card (or the Platinum one but I probably wouldn't get that as a student lol), you get the first year's fee waived (normally $95), you get a free checked bag for yourself and family members whenever you fly, you get points for every flight you book (even if you don't book with that credit card, you just type in your Skymiles #) and everything you spend money on with the card, and you get 25k bonus miles for signing up. Plus I think they are still giving out 20k bonus miles for your first purchase with the card. Through delta.com you can trade in the miles for flights. 25k generally gets you a round-trip to any major airport in the US. 10k gets you $100 off any flight.

For me, it is great because I am incapable of flying with only a carry-on :D If you are the kind of person who always pays off their balance on time like me then it's a great card.