What all counts as clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seals44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid and very general question, but...

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've found on SDN, clinical = interacting directly with PTs.

But I have yet to start my post-bacc classes so search SDN for "clinical premed" or something. This has definitely been answered before and by people more qualified than me!

It's only clinical if you sniff patients

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the stupid and very general question, but...

I'd say....if you're volunteering, and you say at least one word to a patient during the course of your shift as a means of fulfilling your job description, then it is clinical volunteering.

"If you can smell patients, it is a clinical experience."

EDIT:

For it to be clinical volunteering you need to be able to smell patients and be providing some sort of service. The best thing to do is go volunteer with Child Life (if you like kids).

Last edited:
I'd say....if you're volunteering, and you say at least one word to a patient during the course of your shift as a means of fulfilling your job description, then it is clinical volunteering.

I should counter my shadowing as volunteering. I talked to patients, helped the doctor fetch paperwork, and smelled (disgusting) people!

I should counter my shadowing as volunteering. I talked to patients, helped the doctor fetch paperwork, and smelled (disgusting) people!

No, this should be classified as other IIRC, but not as volunteering.