What are a GED holders chances to get into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heeeycourt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I passed my History and English portion of my GED, and i'm studying for the math and English portion of the test. I want to become a Doctor but sometimes I get discouraged due to me about to have a GED. I plan to go to a community college to take my basics this upcoming January, and then transfer to a local university. I'm not strong in Math and Science and I'm ok in English. So I plan on getting a tutor so I can become more strong and confident in those subjects before I enroll in January. I'm willing to do those things because I want to become a Doctor. Any advice? I love positive feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Americans love nothing more than a good underdog story. Get the GED, get good grades in college, and frankly I would say you have a better chance than some people with high school diplomas (assuming good GPA, MCAT, experiences).

Med schools don't look at hs transcripts. If you do good in college, I feel like the GED should be irrelevant from an academic standpoint. If you could spin it into a good success story, it may help your app from a personal standpoint.