What are first and second year electives at TCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robertvaldez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to like TCOM, but other than it's elective clerkships, what first and second year elective classes does it offer if any? Any nutrition or health care economics classes or medical spanish?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think TCOM offers 'electives' in the first two years neither does it offer any of the classes you mentioned. In 3rd year you can take a PCP month as an 'elective' meaning you can choose which PCP to do it with.

The first two years is a fairly set schedule unless you screw something up then all bets are off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think TCOM offers 'electives' in the first two years neither does it offer any of the classes you mentioned. In 3rd year you can take a PCP month as an 'elective' meaning you can choose which PCP to do it with.

The first two years is a fairly set schedule unless you screw something up then all bets are off.

That sucks. Oh well, I guess I could learn about those subjects through books and stuff. I'll still be aiming for TCOM along with other Texas med schools.

That sucks. Oh well, I guess I could learn about those subjects through books and stuff. I'll still be aiming for TCOM along with other Texas med schools.

Do yourself a favor -- just take the required curriculum, learn it, do well, pass the exams, then boards, navigate 3rd and 4th year, get hooded, get through residency and THEN decide what extra things you want to learn, m'kay......

The prescribed coursework is difficult enough without adding additional 'oh, wow, this is so cool' stuff to it.

Make no mistake, TCOM is not #19 in terms of the top primary care schools in the country AND the top D.O. school in the country because it's a cakewalk and you can just cruise through it......I've seen Ph.D's that weren't successful as well as high MCATers......it's a real gutcheck and that's WITH the faculty and admin pulling for you.....

So, get accepted first and get through it before you start overloading yourself.....