What are FM residency programs looking for in applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhi5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are FM programs exactly looking for in an applicant? I'm a US citizen IMG and I'm really interested in FM. What are programs looking for in an applicant like me?

I'm going to be real and say this much. My scores are mediocre and I don't have connections. But I have a die-hard interest in FM. This is one specialty where I had a little faith that personality and interest matters. But as I speak to more people, it seems like it's all about "who you know" if your scores are not high. I was a bit disappointed to learn this through stories and through my own personal experience.

It's also hard to try and build connections with residency programs because Sub-I and externship opportunities are not available for even US IMGs like myself. I don't think observerships even exist anymore, or at least I haven't found any. I prefer to do hands-on work anyway. I'm looking for a way to prove myself but I just need someone to give me a chance.

I'd appreciate some guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think applying broadly is a crucial strategy. That's what I am doing. US IMG here as well.

Reactions: 1 user
It's difficult to say what programs want, but I will give it a try:
People who care about the location and won't be complaining "I can't wait to leave here."
People who have a broad enough base of knowledge to be useful, but also know what it's like to have a real job and can take feedback and work when you have to work. So many people don't understand what is the "work" involved in residency. Understanding that you need to see that woman on the labor deck, or see the direct admit because you're the first physician to assess that patient and yes, they may be critically ill. Same goes to fitting in "acute" visits to clinic. Yes it means you will stay later because that's one more note you haven't finished, but that person could be really ill.
Most of all, I care about three things:
1) Go where you and your family will be happy. Residency is tough enough and if being close to family, having a happy spouse, good schools for your kids, or easy access to the slopes or the beach makes you happy then rank them highest. Likewise I'd rank the person who is happiest to be there the highest.
2) Why did you become a doctor? Whatever the reason, you will need to return to that many sleepless nights. As you question how you had the guts to do this in the first place, you need to remember Why you did this, and Why you are doing this.
3) I want someone with actually work or military experience. As I complained understanding the "work" of medicine, understanding "work" is equally necessary.

Just my $0.02

Members don't see this ad :)
lovebes - apply broadly as in community and university programs? or also other specialties?

Rachmoninov3 - Thank you for your 2 cents and time. I completely side with you on the "work" on medicine. Is this something I should convey in my personal statement?

I'd absolutely second that it is about your work ethic and personality/ willingness to go the extra mile in the interests of the patient and to help out your colleagues. Family docs often get dumped on, and you have to be willing to put aside your ego to be one (at least in residency).

Maybe there are cases where having good scores and knowing the "right people" helps you, but trust me, if you apply broadly enough you can find an excellent program (likely in a rural area) despite kind of meh board scores. If you let your commitment to FM and willingness to be a team player shine through in your interview you will definitely match somewhere you can get a good education. It might not be in the most desired location in the country but you can get a really quality education in more rural unopposed residencies.

I think showing that you are aware family medicine is hard work in your PS is a good idea, particularly if you have a good story from your clinical rotations illustrating that point, and especially if you can demonstrate that you think it is worth it.

EDIT: Basically, I think family medicine programs are looking for people who are smart enough to pass medical school and who are committed to family medicine, but also people who play well with others and don't take themselves too seriously. The main turn-offs in my program are candidates who seem really arrogant or candidates who don't really seem to want family medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so very much all of you. It really means a lot to someone like me who is really trying. It's people like you who make this forum a really useful and valuable resource. Many thanks again.

On my interview trail last year I would say the top two things programs were looking for was someone with a genuine interest in family medicine (not someone who is doing it as their safety) and someone they feel might stay in the area after finishing residency.

Family medicine isn't very competitive and we all know that, but it really helps to show a genuine interest in the field. Have a good answer for the question "why family medicine" because you will be asked at every single interview, usually multiple times. Very few programs would be enthusiastic to interview someone who says "yeah I REALLY want to do peds but this'll do in a pinch." At the same time you know there are people who are thinking that. If that's you just try not to make it obvious ;)

In my experience most family medicine residencies feel quite a bit of responsibility to recruit from within. Hospitals were very proactive in recruiting their graduating residents (much more so in FM than in other specialties) to work for them. I guess that's one of the built in advantages of having a residency, you've got 6-10 new recruits familiar with the system that are potentially easy catches. Another question you'll get all the time is something like "where do you see yourself in 5 years" or "what do you think of the town?" They are trying to figure out if you are recruitable. Some academic powerhouse IM programs would love to fill their roster with Ivy League step 1 scores of 300, but most FM programs realize they are unlikely to stay in town after graduation and that can be a real detriment. Show a connection to the city, state, or at least the region of the country and it could go far. Most programs were very proud of the high percentage of their grads that stayed local or at least in state.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your feedback and time.

As do I! I want to go into FM, and my board scores were not great after a very rough 2nd year and rough summer... I do have connections, but I try to do things on my merit, and not on favors/etc...

I agree with much of the above - most programs are looking for people who really authentically want to do family medicine, who have a good work ethic, who can potentially be happy in their location, and I add that most programs are looking for someone who actually wants to be at their particular program and would be a good fit. Sure, there are desperate programs who are just happy to have warm bodies, but most will want to know not just why family medicine, but also why that specific residency of the hundreds that are out there. Make sure you can make a clear case for how each individual program that you're applying to is the perfect next step for your future practice plans or current training interest, and they'll tend to be very receptive to authentic and specific interest in their program.

Do I make this clear in during the interview? Because I was going to personalize my PS for programs that I applied to. However, in the forum, I read negative feedback on doing so. I think my application as a whole (LORs, PS, volunteer activity) shows my interest in FM.

Personal statement should include why FM. You can also include broad categories of programs "inpatient-heavy" "geriatrics focused" "with sports medicine training" in your personal statement that can help the program think you are interested in them / would be a good fit, while still holding off on naming names and exact details until you get to the interview. But don't BS it, or you might wind up somewhere that actually would not be a good fit for you...

Thank you. I appreciate the advice.