What are my best options with a low GPA...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bt13d

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my senior year of my undergrad majoring in Family and Child Sciences, and I have taken most of my pre-reqs for med school. I am starting off my senior year with a 2.5 GPA, and yes I know this is very low, and I know my chances are slim to none, but I need serious advice.

I went through something at the start of college and rather pulling myself together, I dug myself into a deeper hole. I'm in the hole so deep, I basically have to dig myself another hole to even try to get out of it.

I want to go to med school, and I'm finally getting myself together, and my head is completely in the game. Like I said, my chances are close to nonexistent, but I refuse to believe that I can't get there.

I have come up with a few possible options, but I'm not sure which is best.

I've thought about applying to post-bacc programs, but I know those are competitive, and I'm not sure if they would even consider me with my GPA. Another option I've looked at is taking the GRE and doing a grad program in a strong science field. I could also go back and retake all of my science courses I did poorly on, and apply to DO school. I'm so determined, and I want to go to med school so badly, that I would do all three of these options if it meant I would get my chance, and be accepted.

But what do you think is the best option?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, this sounds more of a "going out on a Limb" chance for medical school. No MCAT, Low GPA, and no volunteering:/ I'd start looking for a job in your field if I were you. It's possible, just very very unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Grade replacement --> DO is by far your best option here. Retake all C/D/F courses, get your GPA to above 3.3 (3.4 preferably), then take the MCAT and do as well as you can (ideally 508+), get a DO letter and some shadowing, and some other good ECs like volunteering.

You're looking at probably two years of repair work, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's get real first. Your chances as of now are ZERO. Why do you think that you would survive a medical school curriculum????

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

MD schools do not count gGPAs, especially ones from research MS programs, due to the grade inflation and some lack of rigor.

I am going into my senior year of my undergrad majoring in Family and Child Sciences, and I have taken most of my pre-reqs for med school. I am starting off my senior year with a 2.5 GPA, and yes I know this is very low, and I know my chances are slim to none, but I need serious advice.

I went through something at the start of college and rather pulling myself together, I dug myself into a deeper hole. I'm in the hole so deep, I basically have to dig myself another hole to even try to get out of it.

I want to go to med school, and I'm finally getting myself together, and my head is completely in the game. Like I said, my chances are close to nonexistent, but I refuse to believe that I can't get there.

I have come up with a few possible options, but I'm not sure which is best.

I've thought about applying to post-bacc programs, but I know those are competitive, and I'm not sure if they would even consider me with my GPA. Another option I've looked at is taking the GRE and doing a grad program in a strong science field. I could also go back and retake all of my science courses I did poorly on, and apply to DO school. I'm so determined, and I want to go to med school so badly, that I would do all three of these options if it meant I would get my chance, and be accepted.

But what do you think is the best option?

Reactions: 1 user
Get your degree and then do grade replacement for DO. But understand you need to try and get As from this point on. Then study for the MCAT. You need good ECs too so work on those. This isn't going to be a quick fix. It will probably take several years after you graduate to fix your mess. Average GPAs go up every year. In 2014 the average GPA for entering DOs was 3.4. It will most likely be higher by the time you apply so you have to work hard. But with grade replacement you most likely will be successful if you start getting As.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I'm in a similar situation as you and I'm starting the journey to GPA recovery as well. Med school is still a goal, but I'm open to exploring other careers in healthcare as well. Just remember to take care of yourself and prioritize your well-being (just came back from taking myself on a date) :D It's a work in progress, I feel you!