What are my chances, 26 y/o AA M, 2.5 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ex.phys2010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chance: 2.5 uGPA, MCAT: NA

Hi All,

I’d like to matriculate into Med School Fall of 2016. I’ve really got an uphill battle with a poor undergraduate GPA, but I am very motivated and have learned from my mistakes. So here it is:

· Undergrad: 2.5GPA(had some personal things going on).

· Major: Exercise Science, but haven’t taken all Pre-reqs for Med school (organic, physicsII, etc).

· Current Position: I currently work as a Clinical Exercise Physiologist in a rehabilitation clinic. I’ve been in this position since I graduated college in 2010.

· MCAT: haven’t taken it yet, but Lord willing I plan on getting a 30

· EC/Volunteer: I’ve participated in numerous events for work, and a few conferences. I plan on getting about 150 hrs

· Observation: 100+. I’ve been fortunate to shadow our ortho drs. and observe a few surgeries

· Research: very little, I participated in a few projects through work, approx. 10hrs

Besides a poor GPA, I have several things I’m working through

1. Post bacc. Vs undergrad classes: want to boost GPA and get all pre-reqs

a. Post bacc. is not very close, starts later in the year and I’d like to start this summer. (Penn State offers a part-time program). I am considering taking undergrad courses at a reputable college a little closer. Would this negatively impact my chances?

2. Finances

a. Wife will be going back to school fulltime until 2016. We can get by on my salary but not very comfortably. I’d like to move into a different position that pays more. Possible solutions would be health admin jobs. I have a recruiter looking to hire me into a med. device sales position. How might a change in position impact my chances? Is there an optimal job that pays at least 50K (live in central PA)

I know I will not present myself as the most competitive candidate; however I am determined to enter med school. What can I do to present myself as a more competitive candidate? What advice can you provide regarding post bacc. and finances section? Thank you in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chance: 2.5 uGPA, MCAT: NA

Hi All,

I’d like to matriculate into Med School Fall of 2016. I’ve really got an uphill battle with a poor undergraduate GPA, but I am very motivated and have learned from my mistakes. So here it is:

· Undergrad: 2.5GPA(had some personal things going on).

· Major: Exercise Science, but haven’t taken all Pre-reqs for Med school (organic, physicsII, etc).

· Current Position: I currently work as a Clinical Exercise Physiologist in a rehabilitation clinic. I’ve been in this position since I graduated college in 2010.

· MCAT: haven’t taken it yet, but Lord willing I plan on getting a 30

· EC/Volunteer: I’ve participated in numerous events for work, and a few conferences. I plan on getting about 150 hrs

· Observation: 100+. I’ve been fortunate to shadow our ortho drs. and observe a few surgeries

· Research: very little, I participated in a few projects through work, approx. 10hrs

Besides a poor GPA, I have several things I’m working through

1. Post bacc. Vs undergrad classes: want to boost GPA and get all pre-reqs

a. Post bacc. is not very close, starts later in the year and I’d like to start this summer. (Penn State offers a part-time program). I am considering taking undergrad courses at a reputable college a little closer. Would this negatively impact my chances?

2. Finances

a. Wife will be going back to school fulltime until 2016. We can get by on my salary but not very comfortably. I’d like to move into a different position that pays more. Possible solutions would be health admin jobs. I have a recruiter looking to hire me into a med. device sales position. How might a change in position impact my chances? Is there an optimal job that pays at least 50K (live in central PA)

I know I will not present myself as the most competitive candidate; however I am determined to enter med school. What can I do to present myself as a more competitive candidate? What advice can you provide regarding post bacc. and finances section? Thank you in advance for your help.
Your fastest, cheapest path to qualifying for a med school would be to aim for an AACOMAS DO med school, since they have a grade forgiveness policy. Retake all low undergrad grades, including all prerequisites below a C, at your local Community College, for the same credits as the original class, or greater. Also take some original coursework, like maybe Stats, Biochem, and some upper-level Bio, and get A grades in those as well. When your application GPA is calculated, only the most recent grade is included. Don't apply until you have at least a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA.

Alternatively, you might check into MD schools that you favor and see what their GPA cutoffs are (it's usually 3.0, but there are exceptions). Call them and ask what it would take to become competitive for their school. You might figure out how many credits of A grades it would take to get over the 3.0 mark. This downloadable calculator will help:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/amcas-gpa-calculator-revised.590424/

Reactions: 1 user
Your fastest, cheapest path to qualifying for a med school would be to aim for an AACOMAS DO med school, since they have a grade forgiveness policy. Retake all low undergrad grades, including all prerequisites below a C, at your local Community College, for the same credits as the original class, or greater. Also take some original coursework, like maybe Stats, Biochem, and some upper-level Bio, and get A grades in those as well. When your application GPA is calculated, only the most recent grade is included. Don't apply until you have at least a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA.

Alternatively, you might check into MD schools that you favor and see what their GPA cutoffs are (it's usually 3.0, but there are exceptions). Call them and ask what it would take to become competitive for their school. You might figure out how many credits of A grades it would take to get over the 3.0 mark. This downloadable calculator will help:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/amcas-gpa-calculator-revised.590424/

Thank you for your advice. Does it look better to take courses at a 4 year school vs. comm. college?